Sequels The Official Mike Dougherty & Dan Harris Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
lol,dude i seriously thought i missed something in the theater!plus i wanted to see the return to krypton but they mysteriously left that out of the dvd!

yeah i can do that.

Thanks, send me a link when you upload it.

The drama unfolds...yet again...

Update #2 : WB Sending Trick 'r Treat to DVD?
Source:Moviesnob
August 21, 2008

Update #1: First, Dougherty dropped us a line to say this is "Not quite the whole story. Stay tuned!" Secondly, an insider informs us the film has resurfaced on Warner's schedule for '09. So, what's going on now? A possible limited theatrical release? More festival runs this October? We'll have to wait and see.

Update #2: New Yorkers, learn how you can see the film this October right here!

Since learning last week that there was an internal error at Warner Bros. that erroneously placed Michael Dougherty's "where the F is it?" horror anthology Trick 'r Treat on theatrical publicity sheets issued to us press folk, the search for the truth concerning its whereabouts began yet again.

A WB rep could not confirm or deny if it was still at the studio. Then, we spoke to an insider who assured us that, yes, it's still at the studio and any reports that it was being pawned off was a bunch of bunk.

Now, a trusted biz source writing in anonymously as "Moviesnob" says, "Just got an email. Warner is keeping Trick 'r Treat, but it's going direct-to-DVD."

Looking at Warner's recent success with DVD fare such as the Raw Feed series and Lost Boys: The Tribe, it doesn't sound like the strangest business maneuver on their part. Just an unfortunate one.

http://www.shocktillyoudrop.com/news/topnews.php?id=7401

So WB is involved, but it is going to DVD. That is shame.

You called it.

^It's still going to be the same movie, you just have to watch it in the comfort of your own home.

If I had to guess...I'd say WB puts it out in mid/late August - a common place for horror releases (i.e. recently with Mirrors, Rob Zombie's Halloween remake this time last year, etc.)

Of course, that's if it gets a theatrical release.

Just heard about the DVD release. It's rather sad, because the trailer looked very scary with some outstanding FX.

Have always had a slight interest in checking this movie out. Who cares if it is straight to DVD as long as it finally becomes available.

I have never seen a direct to video movie that is good, except animated ones like Superman: Doomsday, etc...

From Mike Dougherty's MySpace page:

">

http://www.fangoria.com/news_article.php?id=7144

FANGORIA will host a free screening of the anthology horror flick TRICK 'R TREAT at New York City's Two Boots Pioneer Theater on Monday, October 13 at 7 p.m., marking the film's East Coast premiere and a rare opportunity to see this eagerly awaited movie on the big screen. The film's writer/director, Michael (X-MEN 2) Doughtery, will introduce the film and take part in a Q&A. The film stars Anna (TRUE BLOOD) Paquin, Brian (MANHUNTER) Cox, Dylan (FIDO) Baker and Leslie (MIDNIGHT MEAT TRAIN) Bibb.

The Fango/Pioneer TRICK 'R TREAT screening will be a free show;to obtain tickets, send an e-mail to [email protected]. You must list "TRICK 'R TREAT" as your subject line. Offer is good for you and one guest; plus, tell us your full name and whether you want to be added to the FANGORIA newsletter list so we can tell you about future Fango screenings and events. Names will be checked at the door. Offer is first come, first served, and we will confirm your RSVP. This advance preview is sponsored by Legendary Pictures.

TRICK 'R TREAT has been on horror fans' must-see list ever since it was originally announced as a 2007 Halloween debut (its current release status is undetermined). Advance reviews have been ecstatic. Fangoria.com's Matt Kiernan caught an advance preview late last year in Austin, TX and praised: "TRICK 'R TREAT is, first and foremost, an entertainment and nothing more—an unpretentious, light-hearted (but never cutesy) and blackly comic movie." See his full review here, and read our interview with actress Paquin in FANGORIA 277, on sale next month.

So mark your calendar for Fango's free 35mm showing of TRICK 'R TREAT on October 13. Meanwhile, check out the TRICK 'R TREAT trailer here.

I almost have a hard time believing it's a horror movie with such a cute looking monster in it...

Walk into a room with no lights and watch the little silhouette staring right at you...then say that again. :o

Since Singer, Harris and Dougherty are out now...I would think someone should be able to land the MOS script treatment that was turned down by WB's multiple times.

From Mike Dougherty's blog:

Why Won’t Warner Brothers Release the Most Crowd-Pleasing Halloween Movie in Recent Memory?

Why Won't Warner Brothers Release the Most Crowd-Pleasing Halloween Movie in Recent Memory?

By Peter Gutiérrez Published 10/19/2008

ORIGINAL ARTICLE HERE

Not a Movie in Search of an Audience, But Vice Versa

Suspenseful, clever, and ghoulishly funny, Michael Dougherty's film also boasts an X-MEN pedigree, with Bryan Singer producing and Anna Paquin, Brian Cox and James Marsden (in voice-over) making appearances…

So why have only about 600 people in the U.S. had the privilege of seeing TRICK 'R TREAT in theaters?

Like many in attendance at the film's East Coast premiere last week, I was aware that this movie was in fact ready for distribution last year. Organized by Fangoria at NYC's Pioneer Theater, with star Dylan Baker and writer-director Dougherty doing a Q&A (and with Marsden present as well), the evening had a bit of a festival feel... although one tinged with bittersweetness. That's because for most studio films that get the kind of overwhelmingly positive audience reaction that TRICK 'R TREAT received—and deserves—festivals are a stopping-off point to gather steam and buzz. Or if an independently produced film doesn't yet have a distributor, festivals provide a showcase for them to get picked up. But TRICK 'R TREAT, even with Time Warner behind it, sits in a kind of limbo, so that every round of applause it receives must act as both vindication and salt-to-the-wound for the talented group that made it.

Stranger still, because different units within the media giant don't, as Dougherty puts it, "really talk to each other," he was able to interest Warner's merchandising folks in TRICK 'R TREAT even in the absence of a release date. The result is that one can now buy T-shirts, latex masks, toys, posters and the like (many of which feature the demoniacal tyke, Sam) but not see the movie that they are based upon.

Still, simply having character designs that hold appeal for the consumer market doesn't make a movie good. Which means that those who haven't seen TRICK 'R TREAT are fully within their rights to remain skeptical about the film's quality. I myself was cautious in my expectations. Namely, would this turn out to be the kind of film that horror fans (and horror critics) typically swoon over without a clue as to the many reasons the rest of the moviegoing public might have to balk at it?

For example, despite the movie's high points, would there be a couple of embarrassing clunkers in the four tales presented? Would Dougherty, directing his first feature, demonstrate a command of the visuals but show little sense of how to tell a story? Or would the film somehow be at odds with the current social and/or political climate in ways that could not have been anticipated when it was greenlit?

All of these scenarios were possibilities, but as I sat there and watched the film unspool—all the while listening to the audience whoop with laughter and gasp in fright all around me—all such preconceptions went out the window. I consider myself a huge fan of anthology horror going back to 1947's DEAD OF NIGHT, Kobayashi's KWAIDAN, and the Amicus version of TALES FROM THE CRYPT, which made a huge impact on me as a child, so it's with complete confidence that I can say that no one can reasonably expect a better contemporary horror antho than this.

Indeed, it's hard to imagine a more pure and satisfying treatment of Halloween in general than what Dougherty, one of the scriptwriters for X2, has accomplished here. Actually, it's tempting to think that the holiday's main themes (e.g., the perils of childhood, societal acting-out, the dead walking the earth) have been played out long ago, but somehow TRICK 'R TREAT presents fresh and/or surprising takes on all of these ideas.

What's more, although Dougherty directs with an artist's eye, this is no style-for-style's-sake exercise in goth luxe; the storytelling is muscular and lean, bold and smart at nearly every turn. Neither highbrow nor lowbrow, TRICK 'R TREAT aims for the sweet spot best defined by old school horror comics and nails that bull's eye with a blazing arrow. In New York last week, Dougherty explained that through his quartet of four masterfully interwoven stories, he was attempting to show the "four seasons" of Halloween. Which means that he was highlighting how we experience Halloween during different stages in our lives, from childhood through old age. And while there's a narrative elegance to such a structure, it's hard not to notice that it also might serve demographic concerns, giving it a wider appeal than other horror fare.

So again, why won't Warner Brothers, which co-financed the flick with Legendary Pictures, open this film, if not wide then at least on limited basis? Personally, I'd go with wide as I feel this is the kind of film that will pack 'em in at malls across North America. There's really something for everyone here, a fact that would help drive word-of-mouth. Neither a sequel, a torture flick, a J-horror knock-off, or an idiosyncratic vision such as Rob Zombie's HALLOWEEN, TRICK 'R TREAT may be exactly the kind of meat-and-potatoes horror that general audiences are looking for these days.

Dougherty ventured that it's challenging to market anthology films since there are so few of them these days. He also suggested that WB could be having cold feet since 14 children perish in TRICK 'R TREAT, a fact that he mitigated tongue-in-cheek style by pointing out that "eight of them come back." Or is the absence of big stars or a single high concept, or competition from other fare such as the SAW series, the real factors at work here? Perhaps all of these reasons play a part, but remember, we're not talking about backing the production in the first place—we're talking about something that's already in the can and which audiences seem to love.

Rumor has it that the film will be released next spring, and doubtless there's some logic (perhaps only of the internal variety) behind that kind of decision. Warner has to take a look at its resources, the competitive landscape, and probably a host of other factors of which I'm unaware. But on the surface it certainly seems odd to release a Halloween movie at a point representing the farthest distance from October on the calendar… unless of course the idea is to have the DVD available by fall of '09.

So please, go ahead and join the growing online chorus that's demanding this film's release. Simply put: TRICK 'R TREAT deserves a wider audience than a few hundred people living on the left and right coasts, and frankly, you deserve to be part of that audience.

I saw trick r treat last week and Michael Dougherty was there. Jolly good time :):):):)

Critics Pick the Best and Worst Films of 2008
With 2008 coming to a close, Rotten Tomatoes polled a selection of Tomatometer critics to find out which of the hundreds of films they were paid to watch this year they loved the most -- and which films were the absolute worst. Read on to see if your favorites matched up with the critics, see who loved The Dark Knight and who hated Speed Racer, and find out which film of 2008 earned Roger Ebert's honor as the worst film of the year.

TRICK 'R TREAT
A vivid intersection of tradition, the supernatural, smart storytelling and amusing twists, Trick 'r Treat isn't just a love letter to those who love Halloween and horror, it's a full-blown carnival of devilish delights. Ringleader Michael Dougherty, here making one of the most impressive directorial debuts of his generation, rolls out the pumpkins, zombies, werewolves, vampires and even a deadly lollipop-wielding masked imp. He puts a fresh spin on this cavalcade of ghouls and reinvigorates the dying form of horror anthology storytelling.

-- Ryan Rotten, ShockTilYouDrop.com

I almost have a hard time believing it's a horror movie with such a cute looking monster in it...

You obviously haven't seen the movie to come to that conclusion. Plus, you're looking at a toy. Weak argument there. See the movie first & then give your unbiased opinion. Beside, I'm sure many think the same way of Chucky before the whole movie was out. :oldrazz:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"