Mike Vogel Mentions X-3

narrows101

Reaction score
I don't know if this warrants a new thread or not but this way everyone will see it. Mike Vogel mentions X-3 in a Poseidon interview.

http://www.joblo.com/index.php?id=11226

When you were offered X-Men 3, was Brett Ratner attached at the time?
It was Matthew Vaughn, back when he was still attached.

So in hindsight…
In hindsight, I’m satisfied with the decision that I made. Brett’s a great director, but I looked at that movie and I thought, if you’re gonna do a third installment of something, it would be rad to see a really fresh take from and indie director like they were gonna do with Matthew. I thought that was great. And then I heard rumblings that he might not be staying, and I said, “That kinda sums it up for me.” Because it might be interesting to be a part of something like that with his take on it, but once all that fell through, having an opportunity to work with Wolfgang, it was pretty much a no-brainer.

who was he supposed to be

Here's another one:

http://www.latinoreview.com/films_2005/fox/supercross/steve-mike-interview.html

You guys been staying pretty busy to the point where you can actually turn down certain roles that might not be quite up to your specs, what happened with Angel in X-Men 3?

Mike Vogel: That was a surreal week you’re usually fighting it out to get one job and you get two on the same day is a wild thing. The schedules conflicted and so I had to make a choice of one or the other and I was honored to even have the opportunity of making the choice but at the end of day I just kind of…the opportunity to work with like a Wolfgang Petersen for me was huge, he’s just done so many great movies that I wanted that chance. And it’s more of an actuary piece so that’s why I sided with POSEIDON.

If Poseidon doesn't fare well I wonder if he'll regret that decision? He would've been an instant household name if he'd done X3, an opportunity that Poseidon wouldn't have afforded him.

This feels like the whole Scott/Jackman scenario again, to a lesser extent.

Ouch, Poseidon doesnt even look good!

But I think Ben Foster makes a better Angel anyways, I dont want Angel to be too pretty

Goes to show you that people in hollywood can't think for themselves
and when they do

They say no to a summer blockbuster people are definetly going to see vs. one that people may see :/

I still thought Travis Fimmel (Tarzan, CK model) coulda pulled off the Angel look better

Lightning Strikez! said:
If Poseidon doesn't fare well I wonder if he'll regret that decision? He would've been an instant household name if he'd done X3, an opportunity that Poseidon wouldn't have afforded him.

Gah, he'd look godly with wings.

I love how he talks about wanting to do it if Vaughn had directed it, saying he liked the idea of an indie-style director offering a fresh take on the material. Then goes on to say how he's grateful for getting an opportunity to work with Wolfgang Peterson on Posiedon, a big-budget disaster movie by a high-profile director, and a remake at that!

I swear, too many people are on Vaughn's jock after ONE MOVIE!!! His whole style of direction is just a more polished, sped-up version of Guy Ritchie's directorial style anyway! And this is coming from someone who LIKED Layer Cake!

Thank god he refused the role, it doesnt fit him at all. lol. ;)

im satisfied with angel's casting.

berzerko89 said:
Thank god he refused the role, it doesnt fit him at all. lol. ;)

im satisfied with angel's casting.

Oh, same here. Ben Foster's a phenomenal actor, and I'm sure he'd do a much better job selling the character than Vogel.

Lightning Strikez! said:

'Instant household name'? Not really. Did Shawn Ashmore become an instant household name after X2? Or Daniel Cudmore? And judging by the minuscule nature of Angel's role in X3, Vogel probably made the right decision.

Seen said:
'Instant household name'? Not really. Did Shawn Ashmore become an instant household name after X2? Or Daniel Cudmore? And judging by the minuscule nature of Angel's role in X3, Vogel probably made the right decision.

Not necessarily a household name, but X-men certainly has given Ashmore more opportunities since X2. Cudmore might get some more work after this movie, and Ellen Page will maintain her momentum from Hard Candy when X3 is released.

Glad Foster got the role instead.

KenK said:
Not necessarily a household name, but X-men certainly has given Ashmore more opportunities since X2. Cudmore might get some more work after this movie, and Ellen Page will maintain her momentum from Hard Candy when X3 is released.

Like what? I haven't seen Ashmore in anything particularly noteworthy since X2 (besides X3, of course). And Cudmore will probably return to obsecurity after X3. As for Page, her rising stardom was elevating even before she signed on to do X3. Besides, according to her she wants to go back to indie fare and not pursue an A-List career.

The only "stars" that the X-Men franchise help spawn were Hugh Jackman and Halle Berry. And Berry doesn't even really count, as she was in successful fare before the first X-Men. Actors like Stewart & McKellen were famous years ago (although the X-Men franchise does give credit to their continued success) and actors like James Marsden and Famke Jannsen have found other supporting roles but nothing too big. And out of those two, Marsden is the only one who's had continued success in supporting roles in a big way (The Notebook and this summer's Superman Returns).

I thought that mike could have pulled off a young gambit if he tried

I'm sure he regrets that desicion now that posidon has sunk in the box office lol

phoenix_force said:
I'm sure he regrets that desicion now that posidon has sunk in the box office lol
For sure. To Mike Vogel:

104g3gz.jpg

While the idea of a fresh take of X-Men isn't altogether terrible, I'm glad with what Ratner has done. Judging from all the clips and trailers it appears as though he's matched the tone of the first two films very well. If anything, closing the first trilogy of this series just fine. Now, if and when they decide to make an X4...that's a different story, lots of things can change then. I at one point was excited to hear of Vogel attached to Angel. But, I agree, Foster looks much better for the role. I'd say Vogel got the short end of the stick as Poseidon is a real failure both critically and financially. I would have done X-Men. ;-)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zelzela
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"