Mortal Kombat

turtlefocker

Superhero
Reaction score
Mortal_Kombat_The_Album_EDIT_2.JPG

Mortal Kombat is a 1995 action film directed by Paul W.S. Anderson. It was based on the popular video game series by Midway. The movie received average reviews from critics. It grossed roughly $70 million in the U.S., and an estimated $122 million worldwide. The film was considerd to be the first major success for video game adatations.

logo2.jpg

The film was followed by sequal released in 1997 entitled Mortal Kombat: Annihilation. John R. Leonetti replaced Anderson as director, also nearly the whole cast was repalced by new actors (most noticably was the new Johnny Cage).

The movie was much less well-received than its predecessor. Fight choreography sucked and the effects were horrible, performances also sucked. The budget for Annihilation was $40 million, but the movie grossed only $36 million in the U.S., with an opening weekend take of $16 million. (over a 50% drop from the first movies totla gross.

A third film has been in development hell ever since.

icon2.gif
Dated Janauary 2007

Could the videogame based movie Mortal Kombat 3 still be happening or is it lost in development hell forever? It turns out that much like the next Mortal Kombat 8 game, the third movie will get a fresh start as well.
“The movie is not going to be a prequel, sequel, or in any form be related to the previous 2 movies. Pretty much like Batman Begins, is going to restart the series with new concepts, stories, etc.,” an insider called “Rayden” told Moviehole.

He continued: “Threshold had to wait till around early 2000 for the contract with New Line Cinema to end (Threshold blames New Line for the disappointing [Mortal Kombat 2:] Annihilation, talking about forced release dates, limited budget, no understanding of anything. — The reason it is taking so long is the script, so many parts are involved. The team at Threshold (the ones that holds the right to MK) are constantly writing drafts (along with the director), which they have to send to Midway (makers of the game) so the creator of the game (Ed Boon) adds notes and some input to the draft, then to the studio (rumored to be Lionsgate at this moment).”

“It is a new telling of the Mortal Kombat universe drawing from the whole universe. As I have said think of it like Batman Begins”.
* “Threshold (Larry Kassanoff) has a staff of writer’s working on the script. The script drafts interacts with all parties involved being addressed with extensive sets of notes. The script is then revised according to these notes and then pushed through the approval process again. This is how the project proceeds. In regards to finishing most scripts it takes along time. Yes certain projects get fast tracked or fast followed into production and they bang the script out as fast as the writer can type and fix the script as they go but this money driven. As most projects finalize the script first in order to trigger all the financing into effect. Which then triggers casting etc… Today most financiers have a lot to say about the scripts as it is their money on the line. So usually when you see a movie that has 11 or 12 producers on the slate each one of them has had a say at the table about the script equal to their involvement financially. As I have said in past on this project Threshold, Midway and the studio all have one or two producers each making comments on the script. So that is where we are at the moment. All of us working on the script with the staff of writers”.

* “Casting adjourned for the moment before we got that far. As I have said in other posts we went back to the script after the initial movement on the project and have been rewriting(per the partied involved Threshold, Studio, Midway) since so no additional casting thoughts and or processes were even continued. As soon as the script is done we will proceed with casting again and all options in all casting areas are still on the table 100%… “

The best news is that he has confirmed that he’s met with the first Mortal Kombat movie cast Christopher Lambert (Rayden) and Robin Shou (Liu Kang) though.

-Other rumors claim that the new film will be a spinoff entitled "Sub-Zero"

Sub-Zero_Bio1.jpg

________
Turtlefocker
hyperhead.gif

I loved MK1. MK2, not so much. The ninjas (Sub-Zero, Reptile, and Scorpion) were always my faves.

Oh please... this franchise is so dead it's not even funny... "Get over here" is so old... why make Mortal Combat when there are games like Zelda, Halo, etc that have yest to be adapted...

As much as I would love to see a MK movie again,I seriously don't think this is ever gonna happen. The games/movies are things of the past,and don't think it would have a huge fan fair if it did get made..

Oh please... this franchise is so dead it's not even funny... "Get over here" is so old... why make Mortal Combat when there are games like Zelda, Halo, etc that have yest to be adapted...

Zelda would be ruined if they tryd to make a movie out of it. halo is so over rated and lame.

MK all the way baby. itd be sweet if this movie does happen

i watched this movie drunk once and could not stop laughing.

having said that, its a pretty horrible movie.

Comparing Zelda to Mortal Kombat is like comparing a fish to a bear.

that fight with lu kang v reptile is still so badass.

two thumbs up.

and the second was such a cluster **** like the games started becoming... i even enjoyed that.

The first one was alright, but Mortal Kombat: Annihilation was just a joke. If the new one does actually get made they better get Robin Sho to play Liu Kang if he is involved with the story, they also better get Christopher Lambert to play Raiden cause man was James Remar awful as Raiden

Tony Jaa MUST be in the new one (he was a stunt double in the first one)

I just bought and watched Mortal Kombat Annihilation yesterday. These movies are those guilty pleasures where you know they're terrible, but you can't help buy watch. Plus Mortal Kombat 2 had so many hot women (Sonya, Kitana and Syndel) Oh YeaH!

The first one was on tv a little while ago, i couldnt even sit through it.

MK3 will once again enter development hell.

OMG this is going to be awesome. I Have been waiting for a new Mortal Kombat movie since the last one came out. I'm glad they are rebooting Mortal Kombat.

If Robin Shou isn´t involved in this reboot of Mortal Kombat then they should get Stephen Chow to play Lui Kang

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"