Mortal Kombat

I wish goro was animated and number 1...He would've looked much better and his movement improved..Mortal kombat 1 was good..Couldve been better. 2 was alright but scorpion shouldve been on more aswell as sub..

Mortal Kombat 3 Anyone?

I'm a fanatic for the first Mortal Kombat flick. Sure Goro looks a bit cheesy some ten years later but it does remain one of my favorite videogame flicks of all time (though it is a very short list...).

The second film was horrid. Hamster wheels of death, horrible claymation, and half the original cast didn't return. Most of the audience didn't either as the sequel made pennies compared to returns of the first film.

However I think the time is right to revisit the series and I'm glad they are finally moving forward with a new film. Moviehole got a chance to talk to mink - who is set-up as the third film's director - about the status of MK3.

Says mink: "The producers are working out their deals with the studio and arranging their financing."

mink says that MK3 will be a, "re-envisioning of the Mortal Kombat franchise from top to bottom. Todays audience is a savvy involved group so the film must be A plus plus in every area in order to capture the magic of the first film. It is taking the entire concept to the next level across the board in every area visual design, story, cast, FX, photography and most importantly the fighting scenes. The original Mortal Kombat game was born a child of many visual loves by the creators at midway so this latest version borrows heavily from that pioneering spirit and must be thought out and executed at the highest level in order for it succeed in today's market place. This is no overnight task.''

And while they asked about Christopher Lambert coming back as Rayden (no offense James Remar - but no one beats the Highlander) mink replied that no casting has been decided on yet.

BRING BACK LAMBERT!!!

I guess they are finally going to do it right this time with a big budget.

They should go the Street Fighter: Legend of Chun Li route and focus on a small selection of characters. I think that it would be awesome to see a Mortal Kombat movie about Sub Zero-- it could be like a classic Ninja revenge movie, but taken into the 21st century with real hollywood production values.

Basic story outline as follows: Sub-Zero I kills Scorpion in the past. Scorpion returns as a zombie / ghost Ninja, and kills Sub-Zero I. Sub-Zero II wants revenge, and goes on an epic quest to gain the power needed to defeat him. He fights several classic MK characters along the way (including Raiden, who is his typical wise mentor self). Eventually, he discovers his Cryomancer heritage, and unlocks his power to freeze. Scorpion resurrects Sub-Zero I as a ghoulish peon(technically "Noob" by MK game canon), and sics him on Sub-Zero II. Sub-Zero II must destroy Sub-Zero I to survive, and emotional content ensues. Sub-Zero II re-kills Sub-Zero I and fights Scorpion. Sub-Zero II wins. Simple, effective, and badass.

i stil think the best way to do these movies is to focus them into trilogies. make a mk 1-3 based on the first three games (adding in the new 'versions' with the games shaolin monks and all). it represents a good amount of time to focus on the villains and heroes and flesh them out within 3 solid films. then if they deceide to make more then a 2nd trilogy it can span mk 4, deadly alliance and deception as a complete trilogy unto itself.

1-3: shao kahn, shang stung and the explanation of the rules, realms, gods, etc.
4-6: quan chi, onaga and the death and rebirth of both raiden and liu kang

Directly adapting a fighting game's story to a movie is a bad road to walk down, because fighting games usually have ridiculously complicated stories due to so many characters being involved. That is the very reason why every fighting game movie thus far has failed to actually be good (heck, no video game movie has been truly good so far [though some have come close], but fighitng game ones tend to be the worst).

I think that they came up with a winning idea for how to do the new Street Fighter movie. They picked a popular character and chose to follow her story, and where they can fit in other characters without them becoming a distraction they did. The movie isn't out yet so I have no idea if it's actually good, but I definitely like the approach they've taken with the story. The only other option would be to try and duplicate the original movie by having a story surrounding a tournament and an ensamble cast, which would be pretty pointless IMO.

BTW, Sub-Zero is my favorite MK character so it would be really awesome to me if he got his own solo movie!

They should go the Street Fighter: Legend of Chun Li route and focus on a small selection of characters. I think that it would be awesome to see a Mortal Kombat movie about Sub Zero-- it could be like a classic Ninja revenge movie, but taken into the 21st century with real hollywood production values.

Basic story outline as follows: Sub-Zero I kills Scorpion in the past. Scorpion returns as a zombie / ghost Ninja, and kills Sub-Zero I. Sub-Zero II wants revenge, and goes on an epic quest to gain the power needed to defeat him. He fights several classic MK characters along the way (including Raiden, who is his typical wise mentor self). Eventually, he discovers his Cryomancer heritage, and unlocks his power to freeze. Scorpion resurrects Sub-Zero I as a ghoulish peon(technically "Noob" by MK game canon), and sics him on Sub-Zero II. Sub-Zero II must destroy Sub-Zero I to survive, and emotional content ensues. Sub-Zero II re-kills Sub-Zero I and fights Scorpion. Sub-Zero II wins. Simple, effective, and badass.
second the motion

it doesn't have to follow the game story EXACTLY, hell, theres so many holes to be filled its ridiculous, but the general idea for the games should be used.
first one- the tournament being explained and shang stung and goro are trying to win the realm with a tenth straight win. enter raiden and his attempt at recruiting people from earthrealm to win the fight (liu kang, sonya, johnny cage). ending would lead directly into the 2nd
2nd- after losing the tournament the 'heroes' follow shang into outworld to defeat him (or whatever reason they would use) and then have shao kahn be the main enemy
3rd- shao kahn cheating and resurrecting his bride in earthrealm (similar to 2nd mk movie) and forging the realms with his army.

these 3 movies would make for epic storylines if they used all the main characters wisely. focusing on 4 good guys isnt' hard to do, especially over 3 movies, so it would'nt be all action, even tho i would like the martial arts to be very well done. the movies don't necesarily need an r rating but a good pg-13 rating should work fine (there wouldn't be cussing per say or nudity, just blood and violence). now considering scorpion and sub-zero- i think they should stick to their game roots in how they were never slaves of shang stung, but had their own goals set in mind. over the 3 movies their roles would be utilized carefully. could have both in part 1, scorpion in part 2, and sub-zeros brother in part 3 (if they decided to go that route). these movies wouldn't be hard to do at all. not every character from the first 3 games would appear but they could sure use enough of them, even as background characters.

and it would be nice if these movies were filmed together and released 6 months to a year apart from each other.
now if they decided to make a 2nd trilogy following this one it would go
part 1- quan chi starting his war against the elder gods that watch over the realms and raiden bringing back his heroes with some new ones.
part 2- following the deadly alliance game where shang tsung is resurrected by quan chi and they kill liu kang (would offer more of a place for other characters to step in for the main roles) and at the end the dragon king, onaga, being resurrected and it goes all bad, much like empire strikes back and raiden sacrifices his life, but to no avail
part 3- the deception storyline and trying to defeat onaga, raidens life force having been preserved by the gods but he is 'evil' and resurrects liu kang as a 'zombie' and by the end of the film they are brought full circle from the first movie into becoming good again

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"