Comics Most underrated X-Men characters?

Picard Sisko

Prepare to be Assimilated
Reaction score
What X-Men characters do you think are underrated, and don't get the attention they deserve, and why?

I think Cyclops is a really underrated character, especially when it came to the movies.

Bishop
Maggot
Marrow
Sabra
Sentinel
Thunderbird III
Forge
Warpath/Proudstar
Lifeguard
Frenzy
Nightcrawler
Iceman
Madison Jeffries
Dr. Nemesis
Longshot
Dazzler
Banshee
Gambit
Havok

..this list goes on and on...pretty much anyone outside of the mainstays...of which Cyclops belongs. Not sure he can be considered underrated at this point.

Cyclops tends to be ignored, despite being the "leader" of the X-Men team.

Cyclops by far. Never has the leader of a team been so shafted in a team book IMO.

Iceman
Banshee (Sean)
Madrox - I know he's pretty well loved by X-factor fans, but otherwise he's practically unknown.
Forge

Everyone in Generation X not named Emma Frost or Monet.

Pete Wisdom
Forge
Warpath
Bedlam
Maddrox

Cyclops is underrated in the films.

I know their's lots of characters that don't even appear in one book, but i have to go for my obvious character, which is Gambit.

I know he does have a solo, but in the context of X-men books and Marvel Now, he seems to have nothing to do in the "Core titles" and hasn't since around 2007(?). Isn't he still a senior staff member at the school?

Edit: Really can't agree with you guys on Cyclops, he's been one of the main characters in multiple events, always has a large role in the main titles (All New X-Men, Uncanny etc...)

Last edited:
^I think that it's because of the mainstream medias perseption of him (due to the films making him appear so weak) rather than how he's been portrayed in the comics.

Even then Wolverine is showcased way more than Cyclops is and he is the leader.

In comics right now, Husk and X-23.

In the films pretty much everyone besides Wolverine, Magneto,Mystique and Prof X. Cyclops has gotten it the worst.

Last edited:
I think Cyclops is a really underrated character, especially when it came to the movies.
I think that's only the case in case of the movies. And I guess he was kind of underused in the comics during the 90's. But Morrison and other after him definitely put Cyclops back into the centre stage. One could argue that he's actually overexposed at this point.

With a cast as large as the X-Men's, I guess there's bound to be good and bad times for different characters. Gambit used to be huge, but seems more like a b-lister now. Nightcrawler, who was one of the main characters during the most iconic era of the series, has been killed off... Wolverine seems to be the only one who stays consistently in the spotlight.

while not your traditional X-Characters...I'd say the cast guys and gals of X-Statix

For me, most of the cast of New Mutants (at least the "classic" lineup).
So that's Cannonball, Sunspot, Moonstar, Cypher, Warlock, and Magma. Never was overly fond of Karma or Magik, not that they're bad characters, just not underrated. I'm really liking seeing Cannonball and Sunspot in Hickman's Avengers, hopefully they get a bit of the spotlight soon.

Cyclops most definetly isn't underrated at least in terms of the books

No way is Cyclops underrated....he was the Phoenix for goodness sake! He was the leader (the clear leader) of the X-Men for years and most of the stories revolved around his decisions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zelzela
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"