MoviePass, Sinemia, A-List & Beyond - Subscription Theatergoing

I just signed up for A-list. I can make that drive on the weekend, or instead of car pooling to work one day I can drive myself. The AMC is on the way home from work. I just have to eat the gas those days, LOL! I plan on doing double feature Saturdays.

MoviePass Competitor Sinemia Launches Unlimited Movie-Ticket Plan for $30 per Month

A little over a month after cash-strapped MoviePass killed off its unlimited-movies plan, rival Sinemia has launched a new “unlimited” option for $30 monthly that will let customers see a movie in theaters every day.

L.A.-based Sinemia said in announcing the new plan that it provides “a sustainable, reasonable model for seeing movies on an unlimited basis.” The $29.99-per-month plan is available only for 2D movie showings.

No thanks.

AMC A-list is perfect for me and still packs plenty of value. Does anyone actually have time to see more than 3-4 movies per week in theaters anyway?

I have done it before, but I will be happy enough with my A List, lol

Does anyone actually have time to see more than 3-4 movies per week in theaters anyway?

giphy.gif

Yeah A-List is still the better deal for me. But it's nice to see Sinemia staying in the game. I would think that might not be a bad deal for those who don't have access to AMC's in their area.

I wish I had that kind of time, though there are also long stretches of time where there are no movies I care enough to see in a theater either.

MoviePass is officially stalking it's ex-users.

It has been a while since beleaguered movie subscription service MoviePass made headlines, but today they’re back in the news with a nasty surprise for lapsed users of the service.

An email sent out to some former subscribers says that those who canceled their MoviePass subscription instead of opting into the recently implemented $9.95 for three movies a month plan are now being offered a chance to resubscribe under the old one film per day setup for the same price.

How they can afford to do that is unclear. The trouble is the email also states that unless the reader clicks a specific ‘opt out’ link refusing the offer, MoviePass assumes they’re in and reactivates their account on October 5th. From a legal standpoint, restarting a canceled account without the permission of the account holder seems questionable at best.

Despite the return to the one film a day proposal, the e-mail confirms it’s still ‘based on existing inventory’ and so no new or popular releases will likely be included in that allowance. MoviePass’ owner Helios & Matheson Analytics Inc. current sits at a stock price of 1.5 cents – down from a high of $8,225 nearly a year ago.

MoviePass Rival Sinemia Drops Prices to Dirt Cheap on Weekdays

The company has brought a range of tiered pricing to the U.S., and on Tuesday it announced a bunch of new plans that allow users to get discounted rates if they’re willing to only go to the movies Monday through Thursday. Here’s the rundown:
  • $3.99 per month - One ticket to any movie per month.
  • $8.99 per month - Three tickets to any movie per month.
  • $9.99 per month - Two tickets to any movie per month including 3D, 4D, and IMAX formats.
  • $14.99 per month – Three tickets to any movie per month including 3D, 4D, IMAX formats.
  • $23.99 per month – One ticket to any 2D movie per day (aka unlimited).

I still think they need a "medium" option that's in between "3 per month" and "unlimited." Like a 2 per week option or something. But they're getting more competitive for sure. If I wasn't right next to an AMC with Imax and Dolby, I would definitely be considering Sinemia.

Speaking of AMC, as I'd predicted, those prices for A-List will be going up soon (for those not already signed up). Here's an e-mail I got from them a few days ago:

AMC Stubs A‑List for 2019

With 2019 being right around the corner, we made three announcements today about the future of A‑List for the coming year ahead, which we wanted to share with you right away:

1. A‑List has become a permanent feature of AMC, with all the benefits you have come to enjoy remaining fully intact without any change. You will still be able to reserve in advance, ticket online at no charge, and see up to 3 movies per week at any of our theatres across the United States in any of our formats including IMAX, Dolby Cinema, PRIME at AMC, BigD and RealD 3D. All the great benefits you signed up for are staying the same.

2. You are so important to us that we actually will be enhancing the benefits we offer to A‑List members. Effectively immediately, we are lowering the minimum age for A‑Listers from 18 to 16, and also allowing households to use a common credit card as the payment method for separate, individual A‑List accounts. By June of 2019, so that more of you can book the choice seats that you want online in advance, we will roll out reserved seating to all of our AMC branded theatres and to all of our AMC Dine In branded theatres across the U.S. (Reserved seating is not being introduced to AMC Classic branded theatres at this time). Also by June, we will introduce for our guests in metropolitan New York, Boston, Houston, Denver, Los Angeles, San Diego and San Francisco the opportunity for online Mobile Ordering of food and beverage at all AMC branded theatres. Order on our web site or smartphone app, and your food and drinks will be ready and waiting for you at the theatre. In addition, Mobile Ordering is already in place and will continue to be offered at 52 AMC theatres in some 24 cities. We have been listening carefully to your feedback, so other exciting enhancements to the AMC experience are also in the works. We intend to do all we can to make A‑List better and better for you. AMC is adding additional benefits to A‑List and to the AMC experience.

3. We are holding the line on the pricing of A‑List. It goes without saying that for all of you of course, our 12-month price and benefits guarantee from date of enrollment will be fully honored. Your monthly price of $19.95 plus tax will remain unchanged for a full year from the date of your joining. In 35 states, the monthly price for new or renewing members will also stay unchanged at $19.95 plus tax. Given the popularity and growth of A‑List, we are making a modest price adjustment in a select number of locations. Beginning January 9 of 2019, in 10 states (Colorado, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Maryland, Minnesota, Pennsylvania, Virginia and Washington) and the District of Columbia, the monthly price for new members (and for renewing members 12 months after they signed up initially) will rise only modestly to $21.95 plus tax; while in 5 states (California, Connecticut, Massachusetts, New Jersey and New York), it will go up to $23.95 plus tax, still a terrific bargain given the cost of individual movie tickets there. Let me reiterate that for you at AMC, your monthly price of $19.95 plus tax will stay intact without change for 12 full months from the date you joined no matter where you live or visit AMC.
So if you're considering A-List and live in one of those states with higher ticket pricing, might want to get on that soon. And for those who are thinking of cancelling and rejoining to get that price lock in at the latest possible moment, like MoviePass, they have that "you can't sign up again for 6 months after cancellation" rule. Because yes, I definitely considered doing that and looked into it, lol. At least I've got the good price for another 9 months though.

Last edited:
I am locked in for like 10 months at my price. But even so, it is only going up 2 bucks for me. I can live with this, LOL. I have seen so far 4 movies this month with A-List and I am seeing 2 more Saturday and a bunch more this month on top of that. Even at an extra 2 bucks, still an amazing deal.

The new price is still cheaper in NYC than a single IMAX ticket, and I've been doing IMAX and now Dolby like a nut with A-List. It's Still great to me.

Yeah it definitely gives you an excuse to see premium movies. I saw Venom in IMAX last month and that is something I never would have done before.

I am locked in for like 10 months at my price. But even so, it is only going up 2 bucks for me. I can live with this, LOL. I have seen so far 4 movies this month with A-List and I am seeing 2 more Saturday and a bunch more this month on top of that. Even at an extra 2 bucks, still an amazing deal.
Oh yeah, I definitely won't be cancelling even when my price goes up two bucks. I see anywhere from 1 to 3 movies every week since I signed up, as many on Dolby/IMAX screens as possible. And here, those tickets are $18. So once I've seen two movies, it's already more than paid for itself that month.

I wouldn't trust them. They keep changing their plans every few months.

I’m shocked they’re still here, tbh.

I forgot to tell you guys I canceled my Moviepass a couple weeks ago. The new deal looks interesting, but I wonder if that whole "6 months" clause is still in effect.

But honestly I'm just waiting on Cinemark to get in the game for real this time.

Not giving movie pass another shot. I'm waiting to see if Regal gets into the game, though considering their film selection and food i think Alamo Drafthouse would be better once it really starts.

Alamo Drafthouse might have a better deal, but I can't imagine going there every time I see a movie. I usually get distracted by the food and the servers.

AMC is probably the best deal right now for people that want to see a Dolby or 3D or IMAX flick on a whim without paying out the ass for it. The entire monthly membership equates to the same cost as a Dolby or IMAX screening downtown Chicago right now, so yeah.

Alamo Drafthouse might have a better deal, but I can't imagine going there every time I see a movie. I usually get distracted by the food and the servers.

My family has a similar view on that but I can live with that since they have the massive benefit of being hard on cell phone users and just overall annoying people.

Since i already have a-list getting a Regal one (if it happens) probably makes no sense because of all the premium screens amc offers in nyc. At least Alamo plays some films that others won't (Like Mandy and Border) so that's another appeal to it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"