MoviePass, Sinemia, A-List & Beyond - Subscription Theatergoing

Discussion in 'Misc. Films' started by Call Me Darkman, Oct 2, 2012.

1. Lasirius tarifa

Sinemia was a bust, paid one year in advance in November and only was able to use it once due to its app not responding. Utter waste of money.

2. terry78 baby, that chicken was dry...real dry

I actually used a prepaid card and got back on Moviepass for the 9.95 unlimited a month thing just because with the summer season going on I may need more than what A-List is giving me, and I can also milk them before they shut down again. :o

3. Kane52630 XO User

I just read their policy...

Current Terms of Service | MoviePass

4. Teelie Jokerface

Unlimited is always going to have an asterisk.

5. terry78 baby, that chicken was dry...real dry

I actually respected what Spikes did with the business model, but it's no surprise they dropped him and suddenly started getting shady.

6. Lencho01 Shazoogle! Shazoogle!

7. Teelie Jokerface

I just read some of the details this company committed. Very underhanded stuff like...
    And also...

8. terry78 baby, that chicken was dry...real dry

I was one of them. I knew it wasn't kosher.

9. flickchick85 Admin of Might

Yep, that Fallout thing was the last straw for me, and that's right around the moment I dropped them for A-List and never looked back.

10. The Chris TDK Trilogy Forever!

With AMC A List and now Regal Unlimited being in existence, movie pass needs to die. I don't understand why anyone sticks with them. It's not worth doing the movie theater subscription thing if you can't do those two or Alamo's. 3rd party ones don't work.

11. Speed Force Goober

MoviePass was great while it lasted and I admittedly stuck with them for too long, but my last straw was when they let me check-in to a movie that they said was available that day and declined my card anyway.

I don't live close enough to an AMC or Regal to make those worth it either.

12. Teelie Jokerface

More good news for MoviePass

Dark Horizons

I thought their graphic for this was funny too.
    [​IMG]

13. NDX Walking with Elias.

I never signed up for MoviePass, but I did sign up for Regal Unlimited. Paid for the year outright. I think it should be fine, but I am a little nervous that it might collapse too. If I get 18 movies in it will even out and everything after that will be gravy. Let's hope.

14. Blackman C'mon Son

i really wouldn't pay a year in advance for a newer service. That doesn't seem wise

scarlet-witch and Teelie like this.
  15. NDX Walking with Elias.

Too late now. I'm locked in for the year. I hope it will work out and I'll probably get the 18 films in before the end of October most likely, but I am taking a big chance here, I know that.

16. PrehistoricDog Futurism

17. Zorro IncognitoX

RIP! I was always back and forth on it but never did sign up. Now it's not even an option anymore

18. flickchick85 Admin of Might

[​IMG]

RIP, MoviePass. You were a hot mess, but you saved me a ton of money once upon a time, and ultimately without you, I wouldn't have my beloved AMC A-List, so I'll always be grateful for your shady ass.

scarlet-witch likes this.
  19. Blackman C'mon Son

Surprised they lasted this long

But they shifted the culture. They're kinda like Napster. Didn't work out in the long run (I know Napster is still kicking but you get my point), but they've shifted the culture around movie going. Arguably for the better

flickchick85 likes this.
  20. Kane52630 XO User

RIP MoviePass.

It had a solid 9 month run before they added all the restrictions. I'm glad I jumped on it early.

21. terry78 baby, that chicken was dry...real dry

Dear MoviePass™ Subscribers,

Over the past several months, MoviePass™ worked hard to relaunch its groundbreaking subscription service and recapitalize the company. While we were able to relaunch the service for some of our subscribers with an improved technology platform, our efforts to recapitalize the company have not been successful to date. As a result, it pains us to inform you that effective at 8 a.m. E.T. on September 14, 2019, we must interrupt service for all current MoviePass™ subscribers. MoviePass™ will be providing subscribers with appropriate refunds for their period of service already paid for. Subscribers will not need to request a refund or contact MoviePass™ customer service to receive a refund. Subscribers will not be charged during the service interruption. At this point, we are unable to predict if or when the MoviePass™ service will continue.

We still deeply believe in the need for the MoviePass™ service in the marketplace, to maintain affordable access to theaters and provide movie lovers with choices of where to go to the movies. In August 2017, MoviePass™ began a transformation of the moviegoing industry by introducing its low monthly price subscription service. Since then, others in the industry have followed our lead. Now, as a result of this transformation, movie lovers throughout the United States have the ability to see movies in theaters using subscription services at prices they can actually afford, albeit with limited choices of theaters using those services. In the course of this industry transformation, MoviePass™ has experienced setbacks and challenges that are well known. Nevertheless, MoviePass™ remained committed to leading and competing in an industry that is resistant to outside competition and change. We believe that fostering competition and change in the moviegoing industry is critical to the satisfaction of the moviegoing public and filmmakers alike.

We thank you for your loyalty to MoviePass™ and sharing our vision for the industry. Although we do not currently know what the future holds for the MoviePass™ service, we hope to find a path that will enable us to continue the service in the future.

Sincerely,
    Mitch Lowe

22. Kane52630 XO User

Regal Cinemas program offers unlimited movies for $21 a month

The Era of Moviepass is Over — Here Are the Subscription Options That Remain

23. NDX Walking with Elias.

I was charged no tax, thankfully. So far so good on the plan, too.

24. terry78 baby, that chicken was dry...real dry