Mumbai brought to its knees

echostation

Superhero
Reaction score
9 separate attacks with potential US and British hostages on right now:

http://www.ndtv.com/convergence/ndtv/default.aspx

Gunmen have opened fire at a number of sites in the Indian city of Mumbai (Bombay), killing at least 78 people and injuring about 200 more.

Police said shooting was continuing and that the incidents were co-ordinated terrorist attacks. Gunmen had taken hostages at two hotels, they said.

At least seven sites have been targeted across India's financial capital.

There has been a wave of bombings in Indian cities in recent months which has left scores of people dead.

Most of the attacks have been blamed on Muslim militants, although police have also arrested suspected Hindu extremists.

See detailed map of the area

On Wednesday, gunmen opened fire at about 2300 local time at sites in southern Mumbai including a train station, two five-star hotels, a hospital and a restaurant popular with tourists.

In the latest developments:

* A group calling itself the Deccan Mujahideen has claimed responsibility for the shootings, local media say
* Commandos have surrounded two hotels, the Taj Mahal and the Oberoi, where gunmen are reported to be holding dozens of hostages, including foreigners
* A fire is said to be spreading through the Taj Mahal hotel
* A witness told local television that the gunmen were looking for people with British or US passports
* The head of Mumbai's anti-terrorism unit is among those killed, according to local TV
* At least two blasts, suspected to be grenade attacks, have been reported
* The US has condemned the attacks and said it was seeking more information

Police said the gunmen had fired indiscriminately.

"The terrorists have used automatic weapons and in some places grenades have been lobbed," said AN Roy, police commissioner of Maharashtra state.
A man shows the wounds of another man injured in a gunbattle at Mumbai's Chatrapati Shivaji Terminus
Chhatrapati Shivaji station was one of seven sites to be attacked

At least 10 people were killed at the main station Chhatrapati Shivaji railway station, they said.

Some gunmen were still holed up in buildings that had been targeted, officials said.

Mr Roy said gunmen were holding people hostage at the Taj Mahal and Oberoi hotels.

Local TV images showed blood-splattered streets, bodies being taken into ambulances and dramatic shots of what appeared to fresh blasts inside the Taj Mahal hotel.

One eyewitness told the BBC he had seen a gunman opening fire in the Taj Mahal's lobby.

He said he had seen people fall before he fled the lobby.

"All I saw was one man on foot carrying a machine gun type of weapon - which I then saw him firing from and I saw people hitting the floor, people right next to me," he said.

A series of attacks in Mumbai in July 2006 killed almost 190 people and injured more than 700.

Bombs were detonated on commuter trains during rush hour.

Police accused Pakistan's intelligence agency of planning the attacks, which they said were carried out by an Islamist militant group, Lashkar-e-Toiba.

Pakistan rejected the allegation, saying there was no evidence that its intelligence staff were involved.

The shootings come at a time when ties between India and Pakistan have improved, and days after Pakistani President Asif Ali Zardari told a summit in Delhi that Pakistan would not be first to carry out a missile strike on India.

The two countries have a joint anti-terror mechanism whereby they are supposed to share information on terrorist attacks.

FIN

********* ****ing loser terrorists... these people lose every bit of their cause as soon as they start attacking innocents... i hope each one of them dies in the most painful way possible... chicken **** cowards, fight man to man... $%^tards...

Interesting, there was also unrest in Bankok today. A group took over the Airport and stopped all people from leaving the country, and crippled transportation.

Interesting, there was also unrest in Bankok today. A group took over the Airport and stopped all people from leaving the country, and crippled transportation.

Well, this has to do with governmental dissent, and those protests were performed by citizens... the attacks in Mumbai were co-ordinated by a terrorist organization...

I'm watching it on ndtv right now. I heard NY subways are on alert this holiday as well.

I hope so... i mean wtf is wrong with these people? Don't they realize that this sort of stuff does nothing except get people angrier...

Well, this has to do with governmental dissent, and those protests were performed by citizens... the attacks in Mumbai were co-ordinated by a terrorist organization...
Oh, I didn't read the article. Hmm...

I'm not saying they are related, just interesting that it happened in the same day.

I hope so... i mean wtf is wrong with these people? Don't they realize that this sort of stuff does nothing except get people angrier...

That's what terrorist organizations want. They want us to get angry, they want us to attack them, they want us to invade countries which had nothing to do with the terrorist attacks in the first place. Why? Because then it legitimizes their argument that the West is an imperialistic culture which only cares about its own benefits. That's why Al Qaeda has been recruiting more and more terrorists over the years, that's why attacks like these continue to happen several times a month, all around the world.

Personally, it would be better if the media didn't sensationalize these attacks and if Western governments didn't react at all. It would make the terrorists' argument a lot less convincing.

But what do I know.

Unfortunately that's the point behind these hideous attacks. It's to scare people. This goes beyond political, nationalistic ideals, it's about scaring people. Pinning people and governments against each other. Especially considering Pakistan and India had very promising talks this very day. The conference ended with both sides vowing to fight terrorism and to resolves conflicts.

My prayers and condolences to all the families affected by this attack.

EDIT: Deepka Chopra is on Larry King right now, VERY VERY wise man. Made some very important points.

Yeah! Xenophobia is teh awesomez~! :cmad:
That's not exactly how I'd phrase it, but you gotta wonder what went through their minds when they decided to attack India just to get to the West.

That is some scary ****. They showed video of terrorists in a police van doing a drive by shooting on a crowd and some guy showed his hand after it was shot. damn

I mean it's just pathetic... Pakistan has been plagued with terrorist attacks on its hotels, it lost one of its most dynamic and historically important politicians due to terrorism and then of course the string of 12 terrorist attacks that have hit India with Indian security forces trying their best amongst all the corrupt politicians promising to ensure security...

I seriously worry about the Commonwealth games that'll take place in India in the upcoming future....

Definitely some Paki organization that is harboring cells IMO... U.S needs to put more pressure on Pakistan.

I am not saying it's government sponsored group... just saying that the rumor is that this group is possibly situated around that country.

I am not saying it's government sponsored group... just saying that the rumor is that this group is possibly situated around that country.
Yeah, there quite possibly are terrorits hanging around in Pakistan;s mountains, possibly Bin Laden too.

They will soon move back to Afghanistan after Obama moves more troops there. It will be worse than Iraq.

They're not stupid, they know what they're doing. They know the hardcore conservative types will be all gung ho and trigger happy, and that the hippie liberals will be like, "we need to understand why they do what they do." Their whole goal is to just **** us up psychologically, as most terrorists want.

Personally, it would be better if the media didn't sensationalize these attacks and if Western governments didn't react at all. It would make the terrorists' argument a lot less convincing.
I dunno, I don't get angry. I just get so sad, that people feel the need to spread their beliefs using deadly violence. Why must there be so much negligence for human life in this world?

Man...They really should have kept calling it Bombay huh?

Get it?

Bomb Bay.

PreEmptive Strike- You're all a bunch of humoreless wastes of life, if you can't laugh at terrorist attacks and death what CAN you laugh at you phillistines :cmad:

I just feel sorry for all the people caugt in those hotels and such. I stayed in the Taj a few years ago when I had to go to Mumbai and I could never have imaginned things like this could happen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"