Music Is Magic - The Composer of the Strange - Speculation Thread

Discussion in 'Doctor Strange' started by R_Hythlodeus, Dec 6, 2014.

1. MynAmeIsedDie90 Devourer of Worlds

This was like when they released the "Can you dig it?" end credits song for Iron Man 3 and a lot of people were like "...what the heck is this???" It sounded like a cheesy 80s tv show, but it still contained the main theme. Same thing here. I'm sure we hear Giacchino's Doctor Strange theme in this released track, but it has been stylized as a 70s homage for the end credits. I'm sure the main score will be as grand and "other-worldly" as you guys want it and expect it to be.

2. harryoscop Registered

Everybody seems to be liking this so I'm guessing I'm like, one of the only people who really don't like it. It sounds some kind of 60s psychedelic-ish sound if that's the best way I can describe it. I was honestly expecting something different. Nevertheless, I'm still super excited for this movie.

3. Vartha Mod of Thunder

Well if Strange has 70's theme's, Thor Ragnarok has 80's themes wonder if GotG2 will have 90's themes?

4. harryoscop Registered

Probably. And Spidey might have 2000s themes. I'm seeing a pattern here? :wow:

5. fancyarcher Registered

I think the 60's psychedelic thing was intentional. Probably one of the few things Scott Derrickson actually had a real say in, considering he's a fan of those kinds of songs.

Besides it's Giacchino, so I'm pretty sure the score will have plenty of dark moments in it. The theme is just meant to be catchy, strange, and memorable, and it works.

6. fancyarcher Registered

Ragnarok is being composed by Mark Mothersbaugh who definitely an out of the field choice for the film, so I'm expecting something a bit odd from that one, and if you believe the rumors Giacchino is also working on Spider-Man Homecoming, so yeah I can see that one being a bit more "modern".

7. Spider-Gnome Walloping Web-Snappers!

The vibes I get from this song are Journey of the Sorcerer by the Eagles (used as the theme for Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy) and parts of the music from the Bakshi era 60's Spider-Man cartoons.

8. Vartha Mod of Thunder

WOW I couldn't place the song but you're right Spider-Gnome! lol I'm so embarrassed, me a huge Eagles fan too! lol

9. Bren Forevernoob

Nope, I don't like it at all, as it stands.
    Maybe in the film it'll have a better impact but on its own, not my thing at all.

10. Vartha Mod of Thunder

Makes sense to me, maybe a tie-in somehow to the over-all theme of Phase 3?
    I mean the 80's LOOK of Thor Ragnarok's logo after the 70's Psychedelic feel of Doctor Strange just makes sense that Guardians of the Galaxy would have a 90's connection and Spidey a more modern feel

11. harryoscop Registered

Indeed. :up: I'm actually starting to warm up to the Strange theme now

12. Spider-Gnome Walloping Web-Snappers!

All those years when I first saw the BBC series in the early 80's, I thought it was just the Hitchhiker's theme. After I showed it to my daughter, she looked up the song because she wanted it and found out it was an Eagles song! I never knew!

Anyway, considering the title, I see why it may have been part of the inspiration for the Dr. Strange theme.

As far as Spidey, I get the decade ideas, but I hope we get Giacchino and we get stuff inspired from the 60's cartoon series, thus going back to his roots. It could work. Look at Luke Cage. Yeah they go hip hop and urban contemporary, but the theme and score go back to the 70's blaxploitation roots for the character.

Or, if going for the John Hughes vibe, more of the 80's vibe of those films.

13. Vartha Mod of Thunder

Heh I've got the ending credit music on loop. I can't get enough being a child of the 70's lol

I didn't get to see much of Hitchhikers actually, I don't recall why tho lol
    As for Luke's 70's type music, he was created back then which is probably the reason they used that style of R&B which is more of what I grew up with lol

14. marcvader Lurker #1

Love that end credit track. Sounds very 70's horror/occult film to me.

15. Vartha Mod of Thunder

I hear influences from Kansas and Queen's Flash Gordon lol

16. Webfoot Hero West Coaster

From the initial reactions, it sounds like people really liked the score. Said it was probably the most original and inventive score they've ever had.

17. Elevator Man Registered

‘Doctor Strange’ Soundtrack Details

The album seems to be over 65 minutes long.

18. kguillou Registered

I just listened to the soundtrack on Spotify this morning....I dunno guys, it sounded like yet another generic sounding soundtrack to me. There were some standout pieces, there are two pieces called "Sanctimonious Sanctum Sacking" and "Smote and Mirrors" which sounded kind of trippy and balls to the wall (in a good way) buton a whole it mostly sounded by the numbers, to me at least. I think I know why Marvel released that end credit piece first because ironically its the most unique sounding piece on the album. I wish the rest of it sounded like that.

Also, Strange's main refrain, or "theme" sounds like Giacchino reused his Star Trek theme. The two sound very similar.

#68 kguillou, Oct 21, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2016
  19. AlluAllu Registered

Just listened to the soundtrack. Got me hyped for the movie. I love Strange's theme. Feigi, you better keep it!

20. MahvelBaby! Registered

I love this soundtrack have had it looping at work all day

21. Bats123 Master Chief

Im really digging the soundtrack, such a breath of fresh air, i reeeeeeeeeeally hope they keep Giacchino for Spidey.

22. Vartha Mod of Thunder

Listening to the Soundtrack now. Just bought it, I'm on track 8

23. fancyarcher Registered

To be fair, composers having similar sounding themes is absolutely nothing new. There's only so many themes you can create especially when you've worked on so many film, TV, and even video game projects.

Also Marvel always releases the end credit music as a preview first, and in Doctor Strange's case, it's no different. It just happens that the end credits sequences are often the only time that the theme is shown in full, or the composers does something a bit more unique and new because they are given more supposed freedom.

24. Consona Registered

The soundtrack in the actual film is nearly unnoticeable except for some harpsichord playing here and there. Content-wise it's kinda bland. I cannot recall even one theme or melody. :csad:

25. TeeKay Registered

Actually the score was great. Especially during the Hong Kong sequence.