Music Is Magic - The Composer of the Strange - Speculation Thread

Discussion in 'Doctor Strange' started by R_Hythlodeus, Dec 6, 2014.

1. BatsDC Side-Kicker

I really liked the score.

2. Consona Registered

I was just listening to it on YT again, it's so unimaginative and ordinary score. Totally wasted opportunity if you consider it's for something like Doctor Strange. :whatever:

3. fancyarcher Registered

Well it's got a choral theme and uses a lot of melodic techniques. I certainly don't consider it an ordinary score, though I could see why someone would think it is. Personally, ordinary for me, would basically mean that it's a Zimmer style copy score, and not in anyway is the score typing to ape Zimmer's style.

The only thing I didn't like about the score was how similar one of the themes was to Star Trek, but I chock that up to limited notes more then anything. A lot of composers scores start to sound similar when you listen to them back to back after.

#78 fancyarcher, Oct 27, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2016
  4. MahvelBaby! Registered

I love it, to me it fits the character very well.

5. fancyarcher Registered

Yeah, the main theme weird and "out there", which is fitting to Doctor Strange. I just hope that Marvel doesn't toss it aside if Giacchino doesn't return for the sequel, like they often do with sequel scores.

6. kevork89 Registered

No one else heard his distinct Star Trek sounds in there. I thought I was watching a Star Trek movie. Not that it's bad I love the score he does for Star Trek. But sounded too similar.

7. MahvelBaby! Registered

DS is Kahn!? O_O

8. fancyarcher Registered

No, you're not the only one. Me and a few have other people have pointed that out.

9. DaddlerTheDalek Starship Captain

Another great Giacchino score.

10. R_Hythlodeus Nerd Supreme

Is there music in it as great and hummable as Enterprising Young Men?

11. DaddlerTheDalek Starship Captain

I think Strange's main theme is pretty hummable.

12. AlluAllu Registered

IMO in the top class of MCU scores. Loved the recognizable theme.

13. Chip Chipperson the big guy

Giacchino is one of the best in the business

Score was top notch

14. mclay18 Registered

If Derrickson returns for a sequel, there's a good chance Giacchino will return or Derrickson's usual collaborator Christopher Young.

Young is usually really good when it comes to sequel scores. He used Elfman's themes to terrific effect in SM-3, and he would likely use Giacchino's DS theme in a potential sequel.

15. fancyarcher Registered

Young was actually supposed to score Doctor Strange, but he dropped due for no really explained reasons. I doubt he'll score the sequel, although I would have been interested to see what would have done with the score. A bit of a missed opportunity on Marvel's part, oh well.

16. Ozbridge Registered

I just started to listen to the soundtrack today. Haven't finished everything yet but Inside the Mirror does remind me of Night on the Yorktown (it doesn't sound as epic, but imo nothing I see in cinema this year is as epic as the Yorktown scene).

17. Drizzle There's no knowing where we're rowing

Hard to believe we're 14 films into the MCU and this was Giacchino's first crack at one. Hope he comes back for more as this was easily in the top five MCU scores so far. I was reminded of his Star Trek scores at some points, but I loved how psychedelic it got as well.

18. AlluAllu Registered

19. Metropolis_Man Mister Doctor?

I downloaded the score the day it came out and I've had plenty of time to listen to it now, and also hear it within the movie. In my first couple of listens I was let down a bit because it didn't reach the potentials that I had built up in my head. That's my own fault as I was expecting some really psychedelic and horror styled stuff. There are touches of that in here, but it has really grown to be my favorite score of the MCU movies. A lot of standout moments for this and getting to hear the songs within the film finally helped move my opinion over towards positive. Definitely hope Giacchino comes back for a sequel and I'm excited to hear what he will do for Homecoming.

20. Smilodon Registered

Yeah, there were a few passages here and there that took from his Star Trek work throughout the film. Giacchino is a great composer and all, but nothing in Doctor Strange was good as his work on say, The Incredibles, Ghost Protocol or Star Trek.

The Dr.Strange theme will stick more with repeat appearances from the character, like the X2 theme. We'll associate it with the character the more they use it in his appearances, so I'm not too worried about that.

Giacchino will have his work cut out with Homecoming though. The Elfman Spider-Man theme is one of the best out there.