Mutant-phobia: a Savage Hypocrisy

Herr Logan said:
Is is true that all or most people with skin tones at least as dark as yours don't get sunburn?

:wolverine
I think it has less to do w/skin tone than with our genes; I am descended from a continent that is predominantly jungle & desert climate, giving us higher tolerance for heat & sun.
Of course I could be mistaken, & the pigment could play a bigger part, which means that someone who suffered from vitiligo would cook like a hamburger patty.

Chris Wallace said:
I think it has less to do w/skin tone than with our genes; I am descended from a continent that is predominantly jungle & desert climate, giving us higher tolerance for heat & sun.
Of course I could be mistaken, & the pigment could play a bigger part, which means that someone who suffered from vitiligo would cook like a hamburger patty.

I'm not anthropologist, but I thought all humans are descended from the same continent. I heard that at some point, some people were born with mutations that made their skin lighter in tone.

Vitiglo is lighter-skin pigment, I'm guessing? If so, I know a few people with very light skin who burn very easily, and they attribute it to that.
I don't burn that easily, and depending on how much time I spend in the sun, I can get pretty damn dark. I've had people peg me at first glance as being Greek, Italian, South American, Native American, and even Pakistani. That was usually after I spent a lot of time at the beach. If I learned foreign languages, I could be a secret undercover agent. At least, that's the dream. :o

It's certainly better than being a damn, dirty albino... "pales," I calls 'em.

As for us all descending from the same continent, that may be true but I'm referring to AFTER the "races" went their separate ways.
Vitiligo (Vitt-uhl-EYE-go) is a disease which actually kills the pigmentation of the skin. If you believe him, it's what Michael Jackson suffers from. It's incurable, irreversible & untreatable, because it gradually spreads throughout the skin. All skin. In some extreme cases, even the hair & eyes are affected. I've known people with it & the only thing their dermatologists could give them was makeup.

Chris Wallace said:
How can the citizenry of the Marvel Universe hate & fear mutants when they have no problem w/people like the Fantastic Four? They can embrace someone like Mr. Fantastic or the HUMAN FREAKIN' TORCHsimply because he wasn't born that way? And what about the Avengers? It's okay to shrink down, sprout wings out of your back & shoot electric bolts, as long as you came by these abilities by artificial means? Or how about Ms. Marvel? Or Captain Marvel, who was a freakin' alien! But they celebrated him & mourned his death. Hell, in the wrong hands Iron Man's technology can be far more dangerous than 1,000 mutants. Nobody minds that Thor & Hercules are walking around but they're wary of Storm & Colossus. What's the difference between summoning lightning with your hands & doing it with a hammer?
Then there are the mutants who actually do cause trouble-who are so few & far between, if not for the occasional alien invasion or anti-mutant activist group the X-Men could probably disband. The REAL threats to mankind are by & large people like Juggernaut, or the wrecking crew. I personally would be more afraid of a guy in a metal mask who calls himself Dr. Doom than I ever would of a guy who calls himself Magneto.
It makes no sense.

hehe. Well, writers of Marvel have been trying to make sense of it for quite a long time. :)

I've been reading X-Men myself for a long time, and there have been only two themes that writers have touched on as the basis for Human Prejudice to Mutantdom.

1) X-tinction - That the human race is going to be replaced by purple skinned people in the future. I don't think it's just that they're different in a you have tan colored skin and smaller eyes - it's just that they perform tasks more efficiently that'll endanger livelihood of the common man. In 4, the Thing shows up and could do the work of 10 men combined - the foreman says "what do I do with the other 10 men I'm gonna sack to put you in..." Funny how he put it, but the Powers in general don't get treated equally as a resource apparently - even if you paid Thing about 5 people's worth.

But in a real-world scenario, you can have illegals come over the border and work for say half their wages for some under-the-table deals. They still get no love from the general populace. As a person in that universe, I'd be asking the same question - "How do I compete?" o.0

2) Generation X - the Youth movement

There's that other side of the Mutant Problem, it manifests itself in awkward early stages of your life - adolescence. Parents become involved with fear for their kids. What do you do when confronted with Telepaths, Super-Speed in the same classrooms as your kids are in.

But those are really the only two angles they've explored the Mutant roots of hatred. So far it depends whether you buy it, or you don't.

In the context of the greater Marvel Universe, I think the only comics I've read that made me see the bigger picture of Mutant Hatred is the JLA/Avengers. Esp. where the JLA visit the Marvel Universe and see all these things wrong with the Marvel World.

It's not all roses for the top heroes, they've just had an easier time than most.

Chris Wallace said:
As for us all descending from the same continent, that may be true but I'm referring to AFTER the "races" went their separate ways.

I told you I don't believe in "races"! :mad:

Vitiligo (Vitt-uhl-EYE-go) is a disease which actually kills the pigmentation of the skin. If you believe him, it's what Michael Jackson suffers from. It's incurable, irreversible & untreatable, because it gradually spreads throughout the skin. All skin. In some extreme cases, even the hair & eyes are affected. I've known people with it & the only thing their dermatologists could give them was makeup.

Ugh. That's not good at all.

By the way, I was kidding when I expressed disgust for albinos. Sure, I call them "pales," but that's because it's funny.

What was funny about that, bengus, is that both the Avengers & the JLA seemed to accuse each other of not doing their job.

Herr Logan said:
I told you I don't believe in "races"! :mad:

That's why I put it in quotes. Partly out of respect (I actually RESPECT you now!:eek: ) & because I see where you're coming from. But I am more directly descended from Africa-as in less than 300 years ago-which is what I was getting at.

Chris Wallace said:
That's why I put it in quotes. Partly out of respect (I actually RESPECT you now!:eek: ) & because I see where you're coming from.

That scares me, as well. I can't handle that kind of responsibility! It's too much!! :eek:

I knew that, I was just funnin'. :p

But I am more directly descended from Africa-as in less than 300 years ago-which is what I was getting at.

True. I don't where a valid line could be drawn in history.

Herr Logan said:
That scares me, as well. I can't handle that kind of responsibility! It's too much!! :eek:
This is why our next disagreement is going to be fun.

Chris Wallace said:
This is why our next disagreement is going to be fun.

It damn well better be. I don't like to waste high-quality opinionated vehemence, even though I got plenty to spare. :o

Abaddon said:
uggh,get a room.:rolleyes:

Chris Wallace said:
I'm surprised that took as long as it did.

Abby must be having a slow day, 'cause he's usually much quicker.

The reason why he's always on stealth mode is probably that he doesn't want us to know how much time he spends on the Hype, whereas my reason for stealth mode is so he won't broadcast my activities on here.

I got on whenever I made my first post. I'm on invisible because I don't like people watching me.:o

Abaddon said:
I got on whenever I made my first post. I'm on invisible because I don't like people watching me.:o

Yeah, that's why I am as well. However, I tend to leave windows open a lot and also have several windows and tabs (Mozilla) open at once, so if I was visible, I don't know how that would translate anyway.

Herr Logan said:
Yeah, that's why I am as well. However, I tend to leave windows open a lot and also have several windows and tabs (Mozilla) open at once, so if I was visible, I don't know how that would translate anyway.

I do the same. Whenever I've been visible and take a while to respond people usually find it strange,but I'm more than likely in the bathroom,another thread, or looking at youtube.:o

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"