Okay, so I just bought a lot of TPB's...

Sparta*

~Sword of Darkness~
Reaction score
I kind of went on an Ebay rampage these last few weeks and I bought a lot of tpb's lol I just want to know from the people who have read them, which one's are the best and which ones I should read first :up: I'll list them below...

-Xmen: Age of Apocalypse Vol.1
-Xmen: Age of Apocalypse Vol.2
-Xmen: Age of Apocalypse Vol.3
-Xmen: Age of Apocalypse Vol.4
-Xmen: Dark Phoenix Saga
-Xmen: Mutant Genesis
-Xmen Visionaries: Jim Lee
-Xmen Visionaries: Neal Adams
-Xmen: Fall of the Mutants
-Xmen Legends: Art Adams
-Xmen: Phoenix Endsong
-Xmen: X-Cutioner's Song
-Xmen: Days of the Future Past
-Xmen Visionaries: Chris Claremont

-Avengers: Operation Galactic Storm Vol.2
-Avengers: Kree/Skrull War
-Avengers/Defenders War
-Avengers: Ultron Unleashed
-Avengers: Above and Beyond
-Avengers Forever
-Avengers: Vision & Scarlet Witch
-Avengers/Xmen: Bloodties

-Spider-man Teamup: Vol.1
-Spider-man Visionaries: Kurt Busiek
-Amazing Spider-man: Vol.1 Coming Home
-Amazing Spider-man: Vol.2 Revelations
-Amazing Spider-man: Vol.5 Senseless Violence
-Spider-man: Maxium Carnage

-Daredevil Visionaries: Frank Miller Vol.1
-Daredevil Visionaries: Frank Miller Vol.2

-Hulk: Transformations
-Hulk Visionaries: Peter David Vol.1
-Hulk Visionaries: Peter David Vol.2
-Hulk Visionaries: Peter David Vol.3

-Fantastic Four: Heroes Reborn
-Fantastic Four Visionaries: John Byrne Vol.1
-Fantastic Four Visionaries: John Byrne Vol.2
-Fantastic Four Visionaries: John Byrne Vol.3
-Fantastic Four Visionaries: John Byrne Vol.4
-Fantastic Four Visionaries: George Perez Vol.1

-Dr.Strange: A Separate Reality
-Dr.Strange VS Dracula

-Thor Visionaries: Walt Simonson

-New Mutants Classics: Vol.2

-Silver Surfer: Rebirth of Thanos

-Xfactor Visionaries: Peter David Vol.1

-Excalibur Classics: Vol.1

-Champions Vol.1
-Champions Vol.2

-Infinity Gauntlet
-Infinity War

-Marvel/DC: Crossover Classics Vol.2
-Marvel/DC: Crossover Classics Vol.3
-Marvel/DC: Crossover Classics Vol.4

-Golden Age Marvel Comics
-Giant-size Marvel
-Marvel Comics: MARVELS
-Marvel Visionaries: Gil Kane

-Earth X
-Universe X

-What If?: Vol 1
-What If?: Vol 3

-Contest of Champions II

-Batman Knightfall Vol.1 Broken Bat
-Batman Knightfall Vol.2 Who rules the night
-Batman Knightfall Vol.3 knightsend

-DC Identity Crisis
-DC Universe: Stories of Alan Moore

-JLA: Greatest Stories Ever Told
-JLA: Golden Perfect
-JLA: Hereby Elects
-JLA: Trial By Fire
-JLA: Terror Incognita
-JLA: Pain of the Gods
-JLA: Tower of Babel
-JLA: New World Order
-JLA: Year One
-JLA Classifieds: New Maps of Hell
-Secret Origins: Featuring JLA

-The Flash: The Secret of Barry Allen
-Flash/Green Lantern: The Brave and the Bold

-Superman: Man of Steel
-Superman: For Tomorrow
-Superman/Batman Vol.1: Public Enemies

-JSA: Black Vengeance
-JSA: Justice be Done
-JSA: Lost
-JSA: Savage Times

These are the ones I Already had:

-Avengers: Operation Galactic Storm Vol.1
-Marvel Vs D.C.
-Marvel 1602
-Secret Wars
-Marvel Knights: Inhumans
-Marvel/DC: Crossover Classics Vol.1
-Xmen: Inferno
-Xmen: Mutant Massacre
-Xmen: X-tinction Agenda

Why did you buy so many books at once if you haven't already heard much about them? Was this all from one auction or were there several? I haven't read them all, but I've ranked them from 1-5 (5 being the best, 1 the worst). As for which to begin with, I always save the best ones for last. This way if a comic sucks, just stop and you know you have something better waiting for you. If I don't put a rating, it means I have not read it.

I kind of went on an Ebay rampage these last few weeks and I bought a lot of tpb's lol I just want to know from the people who have read them, which one's are the best and which ones I should read first :up: I'll list them below...

-Xmen: Age of Apocalypse Vol.1 ? Not read it, heard it was a waste of time/money.
-Xmen: Age of Apocalypse Vol.2 5 - Great book, read 2-4 in order, I was not lost eventhough I never read #1.
-Xmen: Age of Apocalypse Vol.3 5
-Xmen: Age of Apocalypse Vol.4 5
-Xmen: Dark Phoenix Saga ?
-Xmen: Mutant Genesis ?
-Xmen Visionaries: Jim Lee ?
-Xmen Visionaries: Neal Adams ?
-Xmen: Fall of the Mutants ?
-Xmen Legends: Art Adams ?
-Xmen: Phoenix Endsong ?
-Xmen: X-Cutioner's Song ?
-Xmen: Days of the Future Past ?
-Xmen Visionaries: Chris Claremont ?

-Avengers: Operation Galactic Storm Vol.2 ?
-Avengers: Kree/Skrull War 1 - Can I get my money back?
-Avengers/Defenders War 3 - Could of been so much better.
-Avengers: Ultron Unleashed ?
-Avengers: Above and Beyond ?
-Avengers Forever ?
-Avengers: Vision & Scarlet Witch ?
-Avengers/Xmen: Bloodties ?

-Spider-man Teamup: Vol.1 ?
-Spider-man Visionaries: Kurt Busiek ?
-Amazing Spider-man: Vol.1 Coming Home 5 - I'm really into Spiderman
-Amazing Spider-man: Vol.2 Revelations 5
-Amazing Spider-man: Vol.5 Senseless Violence 5
-Spider-man: Maxium Carnage 3, lost of people hated it though

-Daredevil Visionaries: Frank Miller Vol.1 ?
-Daredevil Visionaries: Frank Miller Vol.2 ?

-Hulk: Transformations ?
-Hulk Visionaries: Peter David Vol.1 ?
-Hulk Visionaries: Peter David Vol.2 ?
-Hulk Visionaries: Peter David Vol.3 ?

-Fantastic Four: Heroes Reborn ?
-Fantastic Four Visionaries: John Byrne Vol.1 ?
-Fantastic Four Visionaries: John Byrne Vol.2 ?
-Fantastic Four Visionaries: John Byrne Vol.3 ?
-Fantastic Four Visionaries: John Byrne Vol.4 ?
-Fantastic Four Visionaries: George Perez Vol.1 ?

-Dr.Strange: A Separate Reality ?
-Dr.Strange VS Dracula ?

-Thor Visionaries: Walt Simonson ?

-New Mutants Classics: Vol.2 ?

-Silver Surfer: Rebirth of Thanos ?

-Xfactor Visionaries: Peter David Vol.1 ?

-Excalibur Classics: Vol.1 ?

-Champions Vol.1 ?
-Champions Vol.2 ?

-Infinity Gauntlet ?
-Infinity War ?

-Marvel/DC: Crossover Classics Vol.2 4 I really like most marvel/dc crossovers
-Marvel/DC: Crossover Classics Vol.3
-Marvel/DC: Crossover Classics Vol.4

-Marvel Vs D.C. 4
-Golden Age Marvel Comics ?
-Giant-size Marvel ?
-Marvel Comics: MARVELS ?
-Marvel Visionaries: Gil Kane ?

-Earth X ?
-Universe X ?

-What If?: Vol 1 3 I've read single issues and most are ok, they are pretty much the same
-What If?: Vol 3 ?

-Contest of Champions II 3

-Batman Knightfall Vol.1 Broken Bat ?
-Batman Knightfall Vol.2 Who rules the night ?
-Batman Knightfall Vol.3 knightsend ?

-DC Identity Crisis 5
-DC Universe: Stories of Alan Moore ?

-JLA: Greatest Stories Ever Told ?
-JLA: Golden Perfect ?
-JLA: Hereby Elects ?
-JLA: Trial By Fire 4
-JLA: Terror Incognita 4
-JLA: Pain of the Gods 4
-JLA: Tower of Babel 5
-JLA: New World Order 4
-JLA: Year One 2 (missed the big three)
-JLA Classifieds: New Maps of Hell ?
-Secret Origins: Featuring JLA ?

-The Flash: The Secret of Barry Allen ?
-Flash/Green Lantern: The Brave and the Bold ?

-Superman: Man of Steel ?
-Superman: For Tomorrow ?
-Superman/Batman Vol.1: Public Enemies ?

-JSA: Black Vengeance ?
-JSA: Justice be Done ?
-JSA: Lost ?
-JSA: Savage Times ?

These are the ones I Already had:

-Avengers: Operation Galactic Storm Vol.1
-Marvel 1602
-Secret Wars
-Marvel Knights: Inhumans
-Marvel/DC: Crossover Classics Vol.1
-Xmen: Inferno
-Xmen: Mutant Massacre
-Xmen: X-tinction Agenda

Why did you buy so many books at once if you haven't already heard much about them? Was this all from one auction or were there several? I haven't read them all, but I've ranked them from 1-5 (5 being the best, 1 the worst). As for which to begin with, I always save the best ones for last. This way if a comic sucks, just stop and you know you have something better waiting for you. If I don't put a rating, it means I have not read it.

I've been a comic book fan for a long time and I know that most of those TPB's are good. The ones I mainly wanted to hear feedback about were the DC ones because I haven't read as much DC.

I honestly stopped reading after you gave Kree/Skrull War a 1.

I honestly stopped reading after you gave Kree/Skrull War a 1.

I haven't read that, but I just finished Operation Galactic Storm Pt.1 and that was pretty awesome :up: I figured they would be kind of similar considering they are both about Kree space wars and the Avengers lol

-DC Identity Crisis

I liked those.No Avengers Under Siege?Your list is void!

There's a Champions Vol 2?

Yup, it includes CHAMPIONS #12-17, IRON MAN ANNUAL #4, AVENGERS #163, SUPER-VILLAIN TEAM-UP #14, and PETER PARKER, THE SPECTACULAR SPIDER-MAN #17-18.

-Amazing Spider-man: Vol.1 Coming Home
-Amazing Spider-man: Vol.2 Revelations

-Batman Knightfall Vol.2 Who Rules the Night?
-Batman Knightfall Vol.3 Knightsend

-Marvel 1602

These are the only ones I can vouch for, and they all have good and bad elements. Dark Phoenix and Days of Future Past are pretty much X-Men necessities, and the Spider-Man books are decent street-level stories.

Knightfall could have been something truly dramatic and meaningful, but it was so, ... 90's that it's been rendered nearly forgotten. Public Enemies is a neat idea, but I ended up enjoying the 3rd volume better.

Marvel 1602 was written by Neil Gaiman, ... is there anymore that needs to be said? Unfortunately, Marvel refuses to let the idea die, and came out with the other mini. I can't say for sure how David's Fantastick Four is coming along, but the last attempt without Gaiman shouldn't have been published.

These are the only ones I can vouch for, and they all have good and bad elements. Dark Phoenix and Days of Future Past are pretty much X-Men necessities, and the Spider-Man books are decent street-level stories.

Knightfall could have been something truly dramatic and meaningful, but it was so, ... 90's that it's been rendered nearly forgotten. Public Enemies is a neat idea, but I ended up enjoying the 3rd volume better.

Marvel 1602 was written by Neil Gaiman, ... is there anymore that needs to be said? Unfortunately, Marvel refuses to let the idea die, and came out with the other mini. I can't say for sure how David's Fantastick Four is coming along, but the last attempt without Gaiman shouldn't have been published.

I read 1602 a while back, and I really enjoyed that one :up: The ending could have been a little better I thought though. Dark Phoenix is probably my favorite X-men storyline so i'm excited to read that one. As for Spider-man, I want some tpb's with some old school villains like Doc Ock.

you made a big mistake with Superman: For Tomorrow...the art is pretty, but the rest of it is a giant steaming pile of Azzraello crap, just like everything I've read by him...he made Superman (just like he did Batman before him) into a whining emo p**sy :o

you made a big mistake with Superman: For Tomorrow...the art is pretty, but the rest of it is a giant steaming pile of Azzraello crap, just like everything I've read by him...he made Superman (just like he did Batman before him) into a whining emo p**sy :o

Yeah, I wasn't expecting much from that but I like Jim Lee and it only cost me 5$

What is that about?

Not too spoil too much,but basically the Avengers,who are taking it easy and are all over the place initially in the story,pretty much get their asses handed to them.

The Masters of Evil attack the mansion and take it over giving some beatdowns along the way.

I can't stand alot of comics from the 80s,but this was just a kickass read.The Avengers kicking ass to get even,no cosmic threats,no Ultrons,nada.

Plus it has one of the saddest Cap moments ever.

You must get it.

Do you have X-Men Fatal Attractions?I consider that thee best x-storyline of the 90s.

The ones I could give an opinion about:

These are quite frankly, awesome. X-Cutioner's Song not as awesome as the rest, but still very good. Phoenix: Endsong is pretty good too.

-Avengers: Ultron Unleashed
-Avengers Forever
Very good. Avengers Forever will probably be one of the best Avengers stories you'll ever read.

Another awesome one.

-Champions Vol.1
-Champions Vol.2
Fun in a "I want to see what this was about"-way, but nothing special.

Awesome-o

Same-o

-Contest of Champions II
Fun, but I hoped you didn't plunk down too much cash for it.

-DC Identity Crisis
-DC Universe: Stories of Alan Moore
Excellent choices.

-JLA: Pain of the Gods
Bad Sparta, bad Sparta!

-JLA: New World Order
Both are awesome.

-The Flash: The Secret of Barry Allen
Excellent choices again.

Pretty good choice.

-JSA: Black Vengeance
-JSA: Justice be Done
-JSA: Lost
These are pretty darn awesome.

Give me a break Harl, I got JLA: Pain of the Gods as part of a lot with most of the other JLA's :p :D

What is so bad about it? :huh:

You might want to consider God Loves Man Kills, Hooky, Hercules Full Circle and its prequel whose title I don't have available right now. The Hercules titles are set in the future and are somewhat comedic but one of them, I think the first, has a Hercules vs Galactus match.

Give me a break Harl, I got JLA: Pain of the Gods as part of a lot with most of the other JLA's :p :D

What is so bad about it? :huh:
It's a mediocre Austen story that is a little uncharacteristic of the JLA.

dcart.jpg

He did nothing of the sort. Either way, it reads a lot better in trade.

That's cool, Sparta. Yesterday, I found a great deal. I went to two Half-Price Books, and at the first one, I got some neat comics from the early 80's for 30 cents or less. (Even got a copy of Dr. Strange #8, which has a cover price of 25 cents for half that!) But, my real luck came at the second store. Outside, they had a small comic box that read, "Conan and Friends Comic Bulk Box Only $30.00." I've been wanting to get back issues of Conan, but they've always been a bit more than I wanted to spend. It was a grab box, and you couldn't open it to see condition or comics. I got it, and here is what it contained:

Conan The Barbarian #'s 44, 65, 66, 70, 75, 76(X2), 77, 78(X2), 79-83, 84(X2), 85-93, 107, 110, 112, 113, 115, 125-133, 135, 136(X2), 137, 138(X2), 139, 140(X2), 141-149, 150(X2), 151, 152(X2), 153(X2), 154(X2), 156-162, 164-166, 170-172, 173(X2), 174(X2), 175, 182, 183, 184(X2), 187, 189, 235, 263, 264

Conan The Barbarian Annual #3(X2)

Conan The Barbarian Movie Special #1

Conan Classic #2, 4

John Carter, Warlord of Mars #'s 2, 3(X2), 6, 8-11

John Carter, Warlord of Mars Annual #2

Ka-Zar (Vol. 2) #'s 3-8, 10

Kull The Conqueror #'s 19, 21-23, 24(X2), 25(X2), 26-29

Marvel Feature ... Presents Red Sonja #'s 4-6

Marvel Premiere ... Featuring The Mark Of Kane #33, 34

Red Sonja, She-Devil With A Sword #'s 1, 4-8, 9(X2), 10-13

Red Sonja (Vol. 2) #2

Spider-Woman (Vol. 1) #'s 5(X2), 6-9, 11, 31, 32, 47

Tarzan #'s 5-9, 12, 14, 15, 17, 19

Weird War Tales #62

With all the comics I purchased, it took me quite a while in bagging them. Most of them are in Fine condition, I'd say. (And, I always say MileHighComics, Fine Condition. Most of their comics they claim are Fine I would have labeled VeryFine.)

Anyway, you got some real great collections there. If you don't mind, I'd love to know how much you got them for. Some are so new, they were probably a steal. I think Marvel is really charging way too much for their TPB's lately. I bought the Champions volumes and What If? volumes, and it's hard to believe how much they cost regular price.

Definitely read the What If? volumes. It makes you see how good What If? was when they first came out. Plus, they were smart enough to make them double-sized tales. I've read Vol. 1, and they really still hold up today.

I loved the Dr. Strange Vs. Dracula storyline when it first came out in the 80's. One day, I'll read it again, and see if it still holds up.

The John Byrne issues were some of the best Fantastic Four storys ever. I remember when the Marvel Megasize comic came out and they were reprinting them. They were still good. I really think it was John Byrne at his best.

Now, you have to buy Vol. 1 of Operation: Galactic Storm. It's really been over-looked; and, the results of that story should have had more lasting impact on Avengers and Marvel continuity today.

To me, the DC books, especially those old JLA stories, really aren't anything too special. I always say I need to re-read Knightfall and the accompanying volumes; I do think they won't hold up to how much I liked them at first. I think my favorite Batman tie-in was when they had the Earthquake and resulting No Man's Land.

-Xmen: Age of Apocalypse Vol.1
-Xmen: Age of Apocalypse Vol.2
-Xmen: Age of Apocalypse Vol.3
-Xmen: Age of Apocalypse Vol.4
-Xmen: Phoenix Endsong

-Avengers Forever

-Spider-man Teamup: Vol.1
-Spider-man: Maxium Carnage

-Champions Vol.1

-Infinity Gauntlet
-Infinity War

-Earth X
-Universe X

-Contest of Champions II

-Batman Knightfall Vol.2 Who rules the night
-Batman Knightfall Vol.3 knightsend

-DC Identity Crisis

-JLA: Tower of Babel

Those are the ones that I have read either in TPB or comic form...anyything AOA is pure clssic and awesome....unless it's that new mini they did, that was absolute ****.

The X-men stories are all also good, Avengers Forever is essential....I enjoyed it.

Team ups are always fun and I am just a huge fan of Maximum Carnage....I knowsome folks aren't but I am.

X-factor is awesome, Champions is great IMO.

The infinity Stuff is great, Marvels is amazing, Earth X is really good, Universe X is less god but still good.

Contest of Champions II is better that CoC I in some ways....worse in a couple, but it' a good fun read.

Knightfall is great, though the novel is better, Identity crisis is really good, the JLA vs Deathstroke fight is phenomenal. Tower Of Babel is Okay, it leaves a lot to be desired.

And Superman/Batman Public enemies is oe of the greatest DC TPBs that I own, it just rocks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"