My argument for the Time Gem in Captain America 3

Mike Murdock

Avenger
Reaction score
There are plenty of reasons not to have the time gem in CA3. First, Captain America is one of the more grounded characters and the Infinity Stones are the opposite of that. Second, Captain America: The First Avenger already had an Infinity Stone (although I tend to think of it as an Avengers McGuffin as much if not more. In addition, it seems likely some movie will have to double dip if they're going to introduce all of them before Avengers 3. Most likely, it'll be GOTG, but still). However, here's my argument for Captain America and the Time Gem:

The problem with the Infinity Stones has been one of sameness. Guardians of the Galaxy and Thor: The Dark World had almost literally the same plot. I'd argue Avengers did too. The idea is the bad guy tries to capture the infinity stone, the good guys have to stop him in order to save the world (in Avengers, the villain got it early in the movie but needed a power source. In the other two, it happened about 3/4 of the way through). While the rest of the gems need to be introduced, greater care is needed to write a different story. I think Captain America and the Time Gem has potential to be different.

Unlike other characters, Captain America is already a character out of time. Even though he is trying to start new in the present, he has clearly left shadows behind in the past. Rather than be the thing the bad guys want, the Time Gem could be a temptation for the good Captain, an opportunity to go back and live his life like he was supposed to. Obviously, in the end, he has to sacrifice that chance for the good of the world. But it allows the opportunity for a story that ties past and present together (for example having Heinrich Zemo and Helmut Zemo as villains). It's an opportunity to have an Infinity Stone without the villain ever touching it. That allows for something different in a good way.

I could dig this. Or have Bucky to after the time gem to do just that, and have Cap have to chase him down, only to faced with the same choice.

Was ready to dismiss this as we have already seen Cap in WW2 and we don't need to rehash. But I do like the idea that he could be faced with the choice of going back and live his life with Agent Carter. Sing with his barber shop quartet etc...

Don't think it's enough to warrant a whole film though. Maybe a bit in A3 with Thanos?

I like those suggestions....could be a combination of all of the theories out there in the Hype right now. HYDRA could be after the Time Gem to bring Red Skull to the present day; Bucky, after finally discovering and coming to terms with his true identity, might see it as an escape hatch to let him go back and undo the evil he's done --- or just to simply die during the train raid like he was "supposed" to; and Cap, as you say, may be tempted to go back and stay in a past that was wistfully "perfect" for him.

My biggest reason not to use it would be that using Time Travel in Cap3 without bringing back the Red Skull would be a huge disappointment, but bringing back the Red Skull in the same movie that you're trying to straighten out Bucky's story would feel like too much shoved together.

Not bad but I rather not see anything dealing with Time Travel. Having Cap with the choice gives him the opportunity to make the right choice. I like having him conflicted in the movie but I just don't want to see time hopping. Good premise none the less.

Off topic a bit I'd just like to see the remaining stones used as a vehicle to introduce us to new characters and connect the Marvel universe. Like the Black Panther, Dr Strange and The Inhumans. I think having Starnge with the Mind stone and BP with the soul stone and Inhumans with Time stone can be good points on bringing them in a again connecting all the films together.

Last edited:
The problem with the Infinity Stones has been one of sameness. Guardians of the Galaxy and Thor: The Dark World had almost literally the same plot. I'd argue Avengers did too. The idea is the bad guy tries to capture the infinity stone, the good guys have to stop him in order to save the world (in Avengers, the villain got it early in the movie but needed a power source. In the other two, it happened about 3/4 of the way through). While the rest of the gems need to be introduced, greater care is needed to write a different story. I think Captain America and the Time Gem has potential to be different

The stones are the center of the films and it leading up to the big showdown with Thanos so yes they should be used to connect all the films.

I'm not sure your point with that. Even in my idea, the Time Stone is importantly to the plot of the story. It just doesn't use the "villain tries to steal item of great power" storyline used in the rest.

Thinking about this some more, I'm surprised this hasn't been a Marvel comic storyline. Probably not with the Time Gem, though, but with Mephisto. Captain America may be the most pure of Marvel heroes, but this seems to be the one thing that could potentially tempt him. I'm surprised they've never had a story where the devil offers to let Steve Rogers live out his old life.

At least to my knowledge. If someone is aware of a story, let me know.

Thinking about this some more, I'm surprised this hasn't been a Marvel comic storyline. Probably not with the Time Gem, though, but with Mephisto. Captain America may be the most pure of Marvel heroes, but this seems to be the one thing that could potentially tempt him. I'm surprised they've never had a story where the devil offers to let Steve Rogers live out his old life.

At least to my knowledge. If someone is aware of a story, let me know.

Even a What If comic. What if Captain America and Bucky hadn't "died" fighting the Red Skull? Cap could have gone on to be President, how would the cold war have gone? Has kids etc... then makes some mistake that sends the world into nuclear war (possibly cause he's too nice or moralistic).

I'd read that comic.

I would too since I came up with this idea, but, fully disclosure, I've usually been extremely disappointed with Marvel What Ifs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"