• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

My article on Batman-on-film... Mentions Spider-Man 3...

wow, a Batman article with no Spidey bashing in it. Good read also, and very true.

Replied to this on the Batman boards -- excellent!

I agree that fan boys are very black and white. It either sucks or rocks. I 100% agree with this article. I feel spiderman 3 had to happen so we can learn from our mistakes, like Batman and robin had to happen to learn from our mistakes.

I loved spiderman 3 by the way

Good read. :up:

You conjure up some compelling arguments. :hyper:

Good article, ultimatefan :up:

Damn, that article was f---ing brilliant. It pretty much sums up how I feel about directors listening too much to fanboys. I too enjoyed SM3 myself. :cool:

I think it would be really cool if the director of a superhero franchise just came right out and said what they like and don't like about a superhero's world. I mean, it might anger some fans, but at least you would get an honest account from the director, and you would know what to expect from that director's vision of the superhero.

For example, if I was the director of a Batman franchise, I guarantee you would NEVER see Poison Ivy or Penguin. I've never liked either character, therefore they would never grace the screen in my franchise.

I wonder who Nolan likes/dislikes. It doesn't sound like he's keen on Robin, since I think he said in an interview once that Robin would never be in his franchise.

Amen to that! I'm still waiting for an oficial statment from Raimi or Avi about the somehow less than expected quality of Spidey'3... We will uncover what happened, but it seems Raimi didnt have the authority I thought he had, and should have... Raimi allways made the storys simple. Complex, but in the core very simple. Like Darkman, Evil Dead trilogy and Spidey 1 and 2. Spidey 3 has Raimi all writen in it. But not in a single movie. I think he did wonderfully well and its almost impossible to put it out any better than in turned out to be. Raimi did pretty well in puting so much in only a movie. Its almost has having Lord of the rings in two mvies only. But having Spidey deal with so many storylines in a single movie doomed it to be just an average film. Not the perfect flick I'm certain Raimi would deliver had it the budget it had and FREE criativity power. We'll see what Cinema History will say in a near future. Maybe a Donner in Superman dejavu? I'm anxious for the truth! PS: Please, stop reminding the Schummi****ty Batman Forever and Batman&Robin. Spidey 3 is way better than those horrible movies and Raimi is WAY better as a director.

I mostly agree with your article. It is very well done and naisl the fanboy mentality on the head. And even if they do like it, they'll be bashing it in a year from now.

Anyway, I liked it. Thematically having seen the film three times now I honestly think Venom worked. My problems were not dancing Peter (which was hilarious and after rewatching SM2 a much needed comparison and contrast to the guilt ridden and responsibility driven and burdened Parker). I still think it's biggest problems is pacing and keeping certain storylines, particularly Flint Marko's and Eddie Brock's relavent. The third act is still rushed into climax (the team-up is still too sudden and random and the butler, while it makes sense now for his character is yet a plot device that takes away some of the film's credibility as is the news anchor).

Yet overall, it is a really entertaining movie that gets a lot right and still has a good (if fundamentally flawed) story and most of all engaging and likeable characters that grow and develop,, which is the first superhero movie to do that since BB (coughFF,X3,GhostRiderand300cough).

But it is fundamentally flawed by the inclusion of Venom, albeit I think Venom works thematically for the movie and Grace gives a good performance. I think Raimi liked using him as a symbol and mirror for Peter more than as his own man. Which has its pros and cons.

I'm rambling now, so I'll conclude by saying great editorial and while I disagree with a few points, it hits the nail on the head about fanboys. As does CHUD's editorial last week on the subject matter.

*sighs* Lets all play the freakin blame game now.

So what if Raimi never liked Venom in the first place and Arad "forced" him to include that angle? Placing the blame on Arad is just stupid. If anyone should be blamed, its Raimi and the studio, the studio more so. I'm assuming that the studio were impatient to perhaps push the film back and thus, not allowing sufficient time to re-write a much better script with the added changes. The screenplay is crucial to every film.

Just because a director doesn't like a certain character, is that a valid excuse to do a half-assed job with it? I don't think so. Raimi could have put a signal up in the sky saying, "I hate the venom character" for all I care but "screwing" up venom can't be excused nor pardoned simply because the director's feelings of the character has been made known.
Personally, SM3 imo is the best of the series and despite its glaring flaws is actually an enjoyable spider-man film. However, if you feel "let down" then to be honest thats yours and the studio's damn fault and problem (more so your problem coz the studio, they still get to smile when they take and blow their noses with your money) for putting too much trust and over praising a slightly better than average director. Hey, afterall, Sam made sm1 and 2 right? which the entire world loved, so, he couldn't possibly make the mistake of doing a shoddy job. No matter what happens sm3 will be awesome, so, lets keep the same release date, despite the lack of time to make changes "for the better" because we all know Raimi delivers, it'll be alright...:whatever: :whatever: Haha!....some of you guys will never use that excuse again lol:oldrazz:

Greed got the better of the studio and most of you. I wonder, just how you'd people feel if this movie got pushed back by a month or 2? The typical answer to that would be, "its not financially great for the movie to be released in June or July because...blah blah blah". Bull sh1t. If the right amount of time was taken to fix the script and whatever else, even if the movie didn't break records, it would have still made a sh1t load of money and more importantly to you, the movie would have been fantastic or what ever adjective you want to use that excites praise.

Right now, the movie is making money, which for years seems to be what most people ever talked about when discussing these movies and in the opinions of others, its making money at the expense of the movie actually being good. LMAO. You guys kill me haha! So, what the hell did you expect?? *still laughing* This was something I'd been saying for years much to the anger and discomfort of certain people around here. You praise mediocrity and substantiate it by tagging it with a value of about $400 to 600million then expect either the same or worse, either way, your money finances its worth. So how about that? A dissapointing, poorly-made, X3 type movie breaking records and reeling in the benjies. I'm not seeing certain individuals in the BO threads now....why because they don't care, sound familiar?? Haha.

To be honest, we all got what we deserved. I ironically and thankfully got a very good sm3 movie (which I was owed after the abysmal crapfests known as sm1 and 2) and others got a 2hour footage of glorious dissapointment, beautiful. Let this be a lesson to all, when I'm chewing up sm1 and 2 don't EVER talk to me about their BO intakes:o

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"