• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

The Dark Knight An article on BOF by yours truly...

I think its already been said, but uf nails it, as always. I'd like to comment on the crazy batman, though.

I feel people who believe in batman like that version because it supposdely sets him apart from other heroes. It somehow makes him unique to them. The whole "Bruce Wayne died with his parents" bit is used as well to try and make him unique, but every hero's superhero ID was his true self before marvel came along. IMO, some bat fans feel he's useless if hes not completely different from superman or another hero.

Batman's psychotic because he dresses up like a bat? Would that mean Oliver Queen is crazy cause he goes out in nothing but a robin hood getup and some arrows? Is Nightwing psychotic cause he dresses up in black, flipping around with nothin' but two sticks? If you're gonna say batman is crazy cause he fights crime, you're gonna have to say every human crimefighter is crazy, especially since most of em dont have the bat motif to scare criminals with.

My point is, as much as the "Batman is crazy" crowd like to think that that sets him apart, thats what makes him unique, its not. Batman is not that different from many superheroes.

Yeah, Batman's not that different from many superheroes.

But he's been around longer than almost all of them. :up:

The Batman said:
I think its already been said, but uf nails it, as always. I'd like to comment on the crazy batman, though.

I feel people who believe in batman like that version because it supposdely sets him apart from other heroes. It somehow makes him unique to them. The whole "Bruce Wayne died with his parents" bit is used as well to try and make him unique, but every hero's superhero ID was his true self before marvel came along. IMO, some bat fans feel he's useless if hes not completely different from superman or another hero.

Batman's psychotic because he dresses up like a bat? Would that mean Oliver Queen is crazy cause he goes out in nothing but a robin hood getup and some arrows? Is Nightwing psychotic cause he dresses up in black, flipping around with nothin' but two sticks? If you're gonna say batman is crazy cause he fights crime, you're gonna have to say every human crimefighter is crazy, especially since most of em dont have the bat motif to scare criminals with.

My point is, as much as the "Batman is crazy" crowd like to think that that sets him apart, thats what makes him unique, its not. Batman is not that different from many superheroes.
I suppose if you break Bats down to the bare basics, then yeah, he's not that different from the others. But you can do that with any hero.

I agree with the rest of your post though.

The Batman said:

Yeah. At least Batman has a purpose for his costume that´s more logic than most superheroes.
Being a "psycho" doesn´t make him that different, either. There are much crazier characters. The Punisher, yes, is a psycho. He´s a cold-blooded killer. He´s the classic sociopathic "judge and executioner" kind of vigilante, he cut himself off from society and humanity. Compared to him, Bruce almost looks like a perfectly balanced person.

Fantastic article. Couldn't have said it better myself.

^Agreed. You specified why making a film around a character like Batman is so difficult.

In fact, I believe the contrast between his dark aspects and his heroism and humanity make him a more interesting and complex character. We all can relate to someone who really wants to do the right thing and help others but has to deal with inner demons.

So true.

Again thanks for the support, folks.

ultimatefan said:
Yeah. At least Batman has a purpose for his costume that´s more logic than most superheroes.
Being a "psycho" doesn´t make him that different, either. There are much crazier characters. The Punisher, yes, is a psycho. He´s a cold-blooded killer. He´s the classic sociopathic "judge and executioner" kind of vigilante, he cut himself off from society and humanity. Compared to him, Bruce almost looks like a perfectly balanced person.

so true. i'm glad dc doesn't idolize characters like that. so glad.

^ha, ha, ultimatefan's right.

[Elderly Bruce Wayne] Frank Castle is a few drinks away from becoming 'Mad Stan'. [/Elderly Bruce Wayne]

Mcginnis: I thought he was Mad Stan.

ultimatefan said:
I believe the contrast between his dark aspects and his heroism and humanity make him a more interesting and complex character.
Imho, his darker characteristics have given him more clarity as to why heroism is so important, and also why his cause may prevent different Gothamites from experiencing what he did...let alone any tragedy.

We all can relate to someone who really wants to do the right thing and help others but has to deal with inner demons.
I hope that those inner demons are exploited by Mr. J in TDK.

Honestly, Bats and Spidey are my two favorite heroes, and I've always liked Batman slightly more for a simple reason provided by Stan Lee.

Irony? Sort of.

[Spider-man]With great power comes great responsibility.[/Spider-man]
[Batman]With great will-power comes great responsibility.[/Batman]

Yes, I manipulated a Lee quote. . . . . still, kinda makes sense.

Batman is the result of human will, diligent effort, and determination.

He's DC's Sherlock.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"