My Own Private Gotham

SHADOWBAT69

outlaw
Reaction score
Ive been working on this for awhile now. Reorganizing, rediscovering, re-evaluating, purging, and restarting. As some of you may remember, I was having a bit of a crisis awhile back which forced me to seriously think over my life as a Batman collector. I have since come to terms with all of the things that needed to be and got everything in order. In doing so, I have redone my collection. Leaving out the things that give me the most joy and also the things that remind me as to why i started collecting to begin with. The rest has been put into storage boxes, but are still in eye shot just so that i can grin at how much i still have waiting to be displayed when the time comes. What I have done is collected photos from my collection that show everything that is both displayed and stored and put them all into a new on-line photo album. The album is in 3 sections. The main page is my current display, plus there are 2 sub-albums for miscellaneous and past displays. I invite you all to browse thru and see the collection that I have put together. Feel free to ask questions on anything, I love to talk about the items.

In addition to the new album, I would also like to give a brief rundown of my history with the bat, for those who may not know my story.

I remember watching Batman on reruns of the 60's cartoon and Adam West show. The animated versions appealed to me more, even at a young age, I never really "got" the whole "West Camp". I remember my Grandma pinning a towel around my neck so that I can run around playing Batman holding my Batman and Robin MEGOs in my hand. My Uncle gave me those MEGOs when I was 5 along with my first Batman comic book. Thru the following years I would ritually watch the Superfriends cartoons and get a Batman comic whenever my parents would stop at the Drug Store. When I turned 13 I went and got a paper route so that I could afford to buy my Batman comics on a regular basis and also start picking up back issues from comic shops and conventions. It wasn't until 1989 when I really started collecting Batman novelty items. Batmania hit the country hard and I was completely swept up in it. That was also when I started my vow to one day have a good Batman costume. Since that year there has been different incarnations of the character in both live action, animation, and comic formats, all of which I either liked or disliked, but accepted as part of the great legacy that is Batman. My collecting has continued to grow as well thru my 20 years of being in this hobby. Now, i try to collect the more high end items, whether it be a Golden Age comic or movie prop piece. I do occasionally pick up the standard retail piece if it strikes a cord with me. Now, I have finally put together a display that I can go and look at and remember why I love this character so much and also get a sense of excitement on what the future may bring for him, and me as a collector.

I have created my own private Gotham.

Now, here is a peek at what you are going to see in my collected history of Batman.

IM000189.jpg

If you're ready to see the rest, click the link, and welcome to my world.

http://s108.photobucket.com/albums/n11/shadowbatcollection/

holy mother of all that is gothic and winged!!!! That has got to be the single greatest collection of anything I have ever seen in my life!!!!! YOU ARE THE MAN!!!!

That is ALOT of money spent there. Nice though. What made you re-evaluate your strong passion for collecting? A female? hehe Why did you pack stuff up? Either way, its a nice collection you got there.

Well, thank you guys for the compliments. Yes, it is alot of money spent, but Ive been collecting for 20 years now, so its over time.

Also, If any of you guys see anything you have a question about, please ask. One reason I post and share my collection is to show other collectors or fans something they may not have seen before or knew existed. Which is a big reason I enjoy viewing others collections. There is a huge world of Batman out there.

Black Mamba, good questions. I will answer as best I can without going into too personal of info. As far as my "crisis", basically my collection had started to control me rather than I it. I became so obsessed with "collecting" It didnt matter what the item was, as long as it had a bat symbol on it, I would buy it. It was almost as if I was buying the item because I felt I "had" to buy it, not because I wanted it. Due to this, I was adding pieces to my collection I couldnt even remember purchasing. That was one thing I always prided myself on, remembering when I acquired an item and the reason why I bought it. Soon it became "what the hell is this and when did i get it? and WHY?"lol. Anyway, it started to affect other aspects of my life and i realized I needed to do something about it. So, this may sound funny, but, I did alot of meditating and thinking. Remembering why and what it was that brought me into the world of bat collecting. Which brings me to the answer of your other question, why did i box things up. There are actually 2 reasons for it. One, room. My collecting space was cut because we added 2 beautiful twin girls to the family, so giving up the extra room I had was a sacrifice I was more than willing to make. Second, I wanted to display mostly the items I enjoyed the most. The things that brought me the most joy of the character.

I hope that answered your questions, and again, thanks for the compliments.

Oh, good stuff man... and congrats on the lovely twin girls. I know what you mean about being consumed by a passion, instead of YOU controlling it. Happens with me and sneakers. I'm what they call a "shoe head". Either way, great collection. And most important of all, it has meaning.

man I would kill for that collection, there must be atleast a millions worth there

Thatmy friend is not a collection.
That is a museum!

The greatest part about this, to me, is looking through those pictures and seeing things I'd once cherished but lost long ago in a move or something. I spent ten minutes sitting there and pointing at the screen saying "I had that!" "My brother stole that!" "I still have that!"

Thanks for showing is ShadowBat!

Impressive. :up:
Thanks for showing these pics of your bat-museum (bat-shrine)!

I wanted to share these with you guys, simply because i really dig them.lol. I completely forgot about these 2 black and white tapestries until I came across them on ebay. I grabbed them naturally. I find it amazing the stuff Ill still come across from 89 that Ive either forgotten about or have never seen.

IM000749.jpg

I also redid my mannequins with some minor wardrobe changes and also displayed the full body mannequins together.

IM000755.jpg

I've said it before and I'll say it again. You have a literal museum of Batman history there. You seriously should consider giving tours for money, because the amount of stuff you have there would easily attract crowds.

I wanted to share these with you guys, simply because i really dig them.lol. I completely forgot about these 2 black and white tapestries until I came across them on ebay. I grabbed them naturally. I find it amazing the stuff Ill still come across from 89 that Ive either forgotten about or have never seen.

IM000749.jpg

I also redid my mannequins with some minor wardrobe changes and also displayed the full body mannequins together.

IM000755.jpg
Great stuff!
Sweet ol' batmania times, every place we would look at and there was a Batman logo around. ;)

Hey Stare lets be Partners in crime!

You guys must have failed to notice the display of bat weapons. lol

I want that Joker costume so bad. and the '89 batsuit. And Catwomans costume! Ahhh, I'm so jealous!!! Awesome bat-shrine. :up::batman:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"