My thoughts on John McCain

Matt

IKYN Guy Groupie
Reaction score
It seems people tend to put John McCain on an undeserved pedestal.

Aside from a campaign finance reform bill that essentially did nothing, what has really been accomplished by McCain? He often talks a tough game but does absolutely nothing when the time comes to act. He is terrified to go against his party, even though many say he is a "maverick". He is ineffectual, because most republicans are wary of his "liberal" views. Most liberals won't touch him because he is a Republican. He is said to be able to put aside partisan and act outside the party lines, but when the time comes to act outside the party lines...he cowers.

I just don't get the pedestal people put him on.

Matt said:

Aside from a campaign finance reform bill that essentially did nothing, what has really been accomplished by McCain? He often talks a tough game but does absolutely nothing when the time comes to act. He is terrified to go against his party, even though many say he is a "maverick". He is ineffectual, because most republicans are wary of his "liberal" views. Most liberals won't touch him because he is a Republican. He is said to be able to put aside partisan and act outside the party lines, but when the time comes to act outside the party lines...he cowers.

:up:

Matt said:

You forgot the POW thing.:up:

Darthphere said:
You forgot the POW thing.:up:

The POW thing means nothing. I really don't think it effected his sanity (he seems sane anyhow) but it also does not qualify an ineffective, indecisive, coward (in terms of politics anyhow), to be president.

Matt said:
The POW thing means nothing. I really don't think it effected his sanity (he seems sane anyhow) but it also does not qualify an ineffective, indecisive, coward (in terms of politics anyhow), to be president.

No, I mean they use that to put him in a better light all the time.

waite um who else is in contention for the next elections?

Matt said:
It may mean nothing to you....but you are overlooking the fact that it means something to many others. Many of the older generation see that as a badge of courage and great service to his country. As you are aware....not everyone can seperate the perception of a persons work, and the actual work that is performed when it comes to politics.

Ronny Shade said:
Who's John McCain?

news_1451_1.jpg

:D :up:

John Mcain would have been a much better president than Bush. Look at how much more rationale he is in comparision.
For example immigration:
Bush's plan: Let's have immigrants come here to work for a few months and send them back when we don't need them anymore.

Mcain's plan: Let's make legal immigration easier and help illegals become legal. To become legal they need to know english.

C. Lee said:
It may mean nothing to you....but you are overlooking the fact that it means something to many others. Many of the older generation see that as a badge of courage and great service to his country. As you are aware....not everyone can seperate the perception of a persons work, and the actual work that is performed when it comes to politics.

Let me rephrase then, it means nothing in terms of his political abilities.

Matt said:

:up: Brilliant post.

McCain has an advantage in the personal attacks department. It's very hard to engage in any personal attacks. You can only attack him on the issues. I used to think he wasn't as bad as most republicans but he rescently has sold out and is quickly moving to the far right. those which he once labeled as agents on intolerance, he is now quickly becoming clsoe political allies with.

Most likely either him or Rudy Guilliani will win the republican nomination.

It's hard to say with McCain. On the one hand, he was quite childish in his dispute with Barack Obama, on the other, things like his attempts at campaign finance reform (ineffectual as they may have been), his stance on torture, and his general willingness to engage in bipartisan work are all admirable. I'd say I approve of him, for the most part.

He's put on a pedestal because in comparison to every other major politician these days, he's a saint. Is he great? I dunno. But he's a whole hell of a lot more likable than anybody else in the public eye.

Cyclops said:
He's put on a pedestal because in comparison to every other major politician these days, he's a saint. Is he great? I dunno. But he's a whole hell of a lot more likable than anybody else in the public eye.

Mark Warner > John McCain

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"