Name a Popular CBM & an underrated aspect of that film

I have one more underrated aspect that people don’t normally talk about. It’s from Captain America: Civil War.

Without fighting, without Infinity Stones, Alfre Woodard’s character helped to defeat the Avengers in just one scene before Thanos or Zemo could do it. She just gutted Stark and planted the seeds of division within the team. I love this scene.

And yes Stark, I blame you.

I'll name 2 comicbook films and what I feel are underrated aspects of them.

Chris Reeves Superman characterization in Superman 1 and 2.

Now, for a performance and that has been praised for decades, to see Chris Reeves Superman and underrated in the same sentence.

However, I feel that alot of times when Reeves's Superman is discussed and idolized, much of he times, fandom tends to forget how nuanced and three dimensional a characterization it is.

His Kal El/Clark/Superman, was not the stolid boy scout that Superman is often perceived to be.

His Clark was a guy who , while being fundamentally good, was conflicted about his role as Superman in relation to his personal life.

He could be "selfish" in the sense that he was willing to turn back time and give up his life as Superman to have a life with Lois Lane, without taking into account the consequences of his actions.

He clashed with his Father and his beliefs , especially in Superman 2 the Donner cut.

He did make mistakes based on his emotions without taking into account the long term consequences and effects of his actions.

He was a passionate and emotional guy. He wasn't perfect, and he certainly wasn't a stolid , humorless, and emotionless guy, who never made mistakes .

As much as you hear the refrain "Superman is not relatable", Chris Reeve's Superman was as close to being a Human being as any portrayal of the character before or since , Imo.

He had a sense of humor. He flirted with Lois Lane. He was a caring person. He loved his family, yet at the same time, had to go through what we all go through in having to make your own choices about your future, even if that may conflict with your families wishes.

The writers , directors, and the actor, portrayed him as Human being as opposed to as a god.

I think one of the reasons why the other film versions of Superman have faltered ,and a reason why alot of screenwriters have such a difficult time with writing Superman films, is because they approach the character as a god , as opposed to as a Man .

Donner and Co focused on the Man aspect of Superman , and as such, gave us a three dimensional characterization and performance that has endured and has set the benchmark for the character.

I'll echo praise for Bale in TDK and the series as a whole. He's 'not my Batman' in many ways, but not because of Bale's performance which was always excellent, and that's despite a meme-worthy voice at times too. I'd also agree that Bane was really well set up as the villain and managed to be memorable in the Joker's great shadow. Bane ran out of steam but his rise was good.

The first to come to my mind:

The Sentinel future of 'Days of Future Past'.

Mostly short bookends to the film, the dark future has really efficient and evocative storytelling. The Sentinels are not comic accurate (because of course) but there is something so alien and scary about them. The idea that they are so unrelenting you need to time travel just to run away quick enough is great. The stakes are quickly set for that desperate final stand, and you won't see so many characters die brutal deaths so quickly.

One, or perhaps it's two, aspects of Spider-man 2 that often goes unheralded is the tweaking of Doc Ock from comics to screen. Often, changes to a character diminish it, but not in this case. It's been said that Molina gave a good performance, and that's true, but I was impressed by how strong he looked. Granted, he didn't (and probably can't) look like Chris Evans, but he looked formidable in a way that I haven't seen from him in other films. He put in some work between Frida and SM2, and I appreciate that preparation.

Likewise, there were no mentions of Ock's eyesight being poor or being overly sensitive to light. This made the character more of a physical threat, which was important since he went toe-to-toe with Spidey so often in the film.

Regarding the debate over Superman turning back time... I also never had a problem with him doing it. The only problem I have with it was HOW it is shown; the whole “spinning the earth backward” thing wouldn’t actually reverse time obviously. I think it works better if you look at it as a metaphor and conclude that he’s not actually spinning the earth backwards; he’s just flying so fast that he goes back in time and it’s show that way so that we, the audience, understand that he’s going back in time. I don’t think that was the actual intention but I think it works better if you look at it that way.

All the memes and jokes that were made about his voice notwithstanding, I think Bane’s dialogue and the writing for him in The Dark Knight Rises made him a very credible and lethal threat.

His lines were just as effective as Heath’s Joker.
Agreed I will even say I think his voice has evolved from being weird and having jokes to now iconic and arguably the most memorable voice in movie history along side Vader. If you do the voice people know who your doing. Hardy knew ledger was impossible to top acting wise yet he found a way to come close or at best equal him With a unique voice and amazing lines.

For underrated I think Maggie gyllenhaal in tdk. I thought she performed well with what she was given same for Marion Cotillard in tdkr

also Tobey Maguire. I found him excellent as peter and Spider-Man

Mask of the Phantasm, the way it brought up and used Joker's past, creepy even before his transformation, and also that he was so horrifying to Sal. The latter and Batman chasing him around miniature Gotham (amazing) may be well-regarded but I think still underrated. Also Arthur Reeves was a great down-to-Earth villain.

It seems many fans of Reeve Superman consider Kidder Lois Lane to be annoying, aggravating, at least not appealing, I think she was a really good character, take on the character, and love interest, a lot of strong chemistry with Reeve.

The special effects in X-Men were more than just adequate, they were great, let alone for back then, still a good depiction of and use of the powers in an overall grounded take. Edit: The music was also good, too overlooked, and kind of a shame that the composer Michael Kamen didn't return for sequels.

Last edited:
Mask of the Phantasm, the way it brought up and used Joker's past, creepy even before his transformation, and also that he was so horrifying to Sal. The latter and Batman chasing him around miniature Gotham (amazing) may be well-regarded but I think still underrated. Also Arthur Reeves was a great down-to-Earth villain.

It seems many fans of Reeve Superman consider Kidder Lois Lane to be annoying, aggravating, at least not appealing, I think she was a really good character, take on the character, and love interest, a lot of strong chemistry with Reeve.

I agree. She was a good Lois Lane and brought as many layers to her portrayal as Reeve did as Superman imo.

I think alot of fans tend to remember only one aspect her character, much like they tend to do with Reeve's Superman, but miss alot of the depth and layers that her character had in the first two films.

I think some fans tend to just remember her being dismissive of Clark Kent in the Daily Planet scenes, but tend to forget the more subtle moments like her first time in the Fortress in Superman 2, or her childlike nervousness during the "interview " in Superman one, or even her heart breaking " How can we go back to just being friends" speech towards the end of Superman 2.

Margo did a really good job in those two films in making Lois a more grounded character imo.

Her Lois was praised by mainstream ,and still is, but I think it tends to be more of fandom who have an issue with her version.

She's up their with Erica Durance, Terry Hatcher, Dana Delany , and Noel Neil as far as i'm concerned.

I am picking Shinomori Aoshi background in Rurouni Kenshin 2 and 3 is more an upgrade over the manga version.

I always thought in the manga, it is very unlikely for former secret ninja group like Oniwabanshu to became a yojimbo/bodyguard for a rich businessman (especially for someone as bad as Takeda Kanryu). I think it is one of the error made by the author, Nobuhiro-sensei.

So, the reason for Aoshi to appear and hate Kenshin in the live action movie is more reasonable and more make sense. Director Ootomo made the right change for this creative decision. He is has more detail knowledge about the Oniwabanshu history.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"