Namor the Sub-Mariner

Discussion in 'Marvel Films' started by bengali, May 13, 2006.

1. Ragnaroknroll

Ragnaroknroll Well-Known Member

I'm cool with the Speedos or the black costume. If the actor is buff there's no reason he can't lose the shirt.

But Namor absolutely has to have the ankle wings. It's totally freaky and I would love to see that done with CGI.

2. Endeavor

Endeavor Que bolá con el timbeque?

I'd rather see the ankle wings translated as tatoos or some form of branding, maybe as a show of his royal lineage.
    Feathery little wings on a underwater humanoid make no sense whatsoever and would probably detract from the story.

3. Norrin Parker

Norrin Parker Majestor of the Shi'ar

if they make the wings look almost amphibious not sure if that's the right word it could look good

4. seahammer

seahammer Asgardian

Yeah, I've had the same thought. They could almost look like "ankle fins", for lack of a better phrasing. It might make some diehard fans unhappy, but in my opinion it would be a good compromise.

5. Dark Raven

Dark Raven The Gal from Themyscira

That would work. At least he's still have something on his ankles that actually stick out rather than stencilled or tattooed on like Cap's helmet wings. I'm not sure why they never did that in the first place in the comics. It fits in better with the oceanic theme than wings.

6. marcvader

marcvader Lurker #1

I always expected aquatic looking wings or fins and not exactly a direct adaptation of tiny feathery bird wings.

7. Ragnaroknroll

I would be cool with something like that. I'm sure Marvel's concept artists can cook something up.

But to not have the wings would be lame. How else does he fly?

8. marcvader

marcvader Lurker #1

He drinks red bull.

9. Steve Holt

Steve Holt STEVE HOLT!

but red bull gives you wings....................

10. kedrell

kedrell Fork&SpoonOperator

Well as I understand it he basically levitates and the wings are only there for propulsion. He doesn't fly terribly fast either, does he? Maybe 100 mph at top speed? I mean how fast can those tiny wings push him when all is said and done?

11. xeno000

xeno000 IRON MAN WAS RIGHT!

I've never understood why a seacreature would have wings anyway. Leaving them off Namor's ankes wouldn't bother me at all, though some anal retentives will throw hissy fits if that happens. :whatever:

12. seahammer

seahammer Asgardian

Yeah, this brings us to question of whether or not he will even fly in the movie.

IIRC, in the script for a previous Namor film treatment, he just propelled himself at high speeds out of the water and launched himself exceptionally high and fast through the air (like when you see the dolphin show at SeaWorld, but x100...). Its been years, though, so I could be remembering it wrong.

What would you guys say if this were the case? Either no flying at all, or some nod to flying that is more organically woven into Namor's base powerset? I wouldn't mind the launching-out-of-the-water thing, especially if he has "ankle fins" to justify his ability to generate such high speeds in the water.

EDIT: PS sorry if this topic has been discussed already...

13. Dark Raven

Dark Raven The Gal from Themyscira

Namor could be like flying fish who fly.

14. Brian Braddock

Brian Braddock R.I.P. '96 Y.N.W.A.

I've got a feeling in my gut that we're going to get just what you've said.

15. kedrell

Vin as Namor would be fine, IMO. He's got the build, can act and has a screen presence. Just give him a wig and the Spock ears and eyebrows and it could work. I just hope it's a MCU film because I have zero faith in Universal after the utter failure of Hulk. The only good thing I can say about them is that after making the worst big budget superhero movie of all time they wisely got out of that genre.

16. Ragnaroknroll

Hahaha. You guys are funny.

17. Ragnaroknroll

Definitely on board with him propelling himself from the water like a dolphin. I love the artwork where he bolts out of the ocean filled with rage, water splashing everywhere. That could be such an awesome iconic moment on film - especially when he attacks New York and battles the original Human Torch or when he takes down the Germans dropping depth charges over Atlantis.

However, Namor still needs to be able to fly even if it's short distances or at low speeds. It's a defining part of his character and helps distinguish him from Aquaman. The ankle wings are part of his mutation since other Atlanteans don't have them. (Perhaps they'll use the Terrigen Mists to explain it.) It's totally bizarre yes but audiences haven't seen something like that before. Is it implausible that the wings could make him fly? No more implausible than a bumble bee. Just make them move really fast.

It also hearkens back to mythology - maybe you could even embed his story in the legends of the Greeks and Hermes etc. like they did with Thor (jumbled up with legends of Atlantis). That might be a nifty touch. Of course if they did that he'd have to be a lot older than he really is. Maybe there was an ancestor who shared the mutation.

18. Brian Braddock

Brian Braddock R.I.P. '96 Y.N.W.A.

I hear you - personally, after the utter failure of Van Helsing I have my doubts about them. Seriously, how can you screw up the old Universal monsters? they're so great in concept and look that you'd actually have to go out of your way to mess it up as it would actually be easier to get them right than wrong.

They're still the studio that gave me JAWS though so the romantic in me will always have a glimmer of hope that they can get their act together at some point.

19. CyclopsWasRight

CyclopsWasRight Well, he was.

The ankle wings being aknle fins is a much better idea for on Film.

That was Ten Years Ago.

I'd prefer Fox get Namor and use him with X-Men or preferably Fantastic Four.

20. Norrin Parker

Norrin Parker Majestor of the Shi'ar

I want Namor with Marvel and the Surfer, then we can have an epic Defenders movie.

21. Ragnaroknroll

+1 for Defenders. Also the Invaders. And I want to see the Golden Age stories turned into a movie. I think Brubaker's Marvels Project could make for an epic film.

+100000000000 for the MCU getting the FF back and then Namor can be a part of all of it like he's supposed to be (with the exception of his mutant aspect but his mutation can easily be explained via Terrigen Mists or something).

22. Hypestyle

Hypestyle Well-Known Member

I hope there's an official announcement by spring.

23. Dr. Evil

Dr. Evil Well-Known Member

I think it's more likely by Comic-Con

24. kedrell

Amen! Always loved the Defenders, the 7-Up to The Avenger's Coca-Cola and the X-Men's Dr. Pepper.

25. Tymminator

Tymminator The Main Man in Minnesota

Defenders could really be great.