• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

Netflix’s Maestro | Bradley Cooper, Carey Mulligan

Pennywise

Avenger
Reaction score
'Maestro' First Look: Bradley Cooper Transforms Into Leonard Bernstein - Variety

Bradley Cooper is fully transformed in the first look at his Netflix-backed biographical drama “Maestro,” which serves as his directorial follow-up to Oscar winner “A Star Is Born.” Set photos from the movie released by the streaming giant depict Cooper opposite co-star Carey Mulligan. Cooper stars in “Maestro” as esteemed Broadway composer Leonard Bernstein, with Carey Mulligan playing Bernstein’s wife Felicia Montealegre. The photos show Bernstein at various ages, with impressive make-up work applied to Cooper to nail his look as an elderly Bernstein.

As Cooper confirmed to Variety earlier this year, production on “Maestro” started this month. Moviegoers shouldn’t expect to see the film released in theaters and/or on Netflix until 2023. Steven Spielberg was originally attached to direct a Bernstein biographical drama and recruited Cooper to star in it. Cooper was coming off “A Star Is Born” at the time and was more interested in writing and directing movies than taking on an acting role for someone else, even Spielberg.

I don't want to hate on the insanely talented makeup artists but this sort of thing is really starting to grate on me. ESPECIALLY when you have non-Jewish Bradley Cooper wearing an extremely stereotypical Jewish nose prosthetic for the entire movie.

And, like, he looks so much like Eugene Levy in the old age makeup. You can't tell me Levy wouldn't have given just as good if not better of a performance. The dominance of roles like this is increasingly becoming a huge disservice to older and plus-size talent, groups that already struggle to find work, now losing huge parts to young, traditionally good-looking actors.

Bernstein was a good looking fellow in his prime. So Cooper has that covered. As for the schnoz… well, noses tend to get bigger (actually, sag) over the years. So the old age makeup would take this into account (along with wrinkles, gray hair, etc.). And Cooper, himself, has a bit of a beak.

Bernstein was a good looking fellow in his prime. So Cooper has that covered. As for the schnoz… well, noses tend to get bigger (actually, sag) over the years. So the old age makeup would take this into account (along with wrinkles, gray hair, etc.). And Cooper, himself, has a bit of a beak.
Judging by the photos I'm pretty sure Cooper is wearing a nose-prosthetic the whole movie, though.

Pretentious is the only thing that comes to mind.

Shot in black and white. The comically fake nose. The tortured genius whose wife doesn’t understand him.

The makeup work looks great in motion. I feel that some people online are cherrypicking photos of the real-life Bernstein to further their agenda. If you look at several different photos of Bernstein, you'll notice that the size of his nose varies tremendously depending on the angle, lighting, etc. The prosthetic doesn't look that exaggerated to me.

The trailer was solid too. I'm looking forward to it!

Last edited:
Wow, Spielberg was really involved that he’s on set. Usually as producer, he keeps his distance (post Poltergeist of course lol).

The nose is pretty unacceptable on principle but it does look way less heinous from other angles.

I don’t really see why Cooper had them make up his nose like that. I’m looking at old photos of Bernstein and his nose doesn’t look like that.

There's your Best Actor winner.

Me reading the news about the price hikes from streamers.

fe60deccb87c71bd88d97b3cee5618bab39a830f.gif

I watched this yesterday. As a story, it's fine. The way it kept bouncing around through this life made it feel like you were skimming a Wikipedia article about Bernstein but Cooper and Mulligan were both fantastic in it. The techniques and shot composition that Cooper used as well as the way he implemented Bernstein's music into the score was brilliant.

It’s kind of nuts how forgotten this film already feels. Usually on streaming more eyes get on it initially, but I feel this would’ve really benefited with a limited theatrical run to build some kind of hype.

I mean, there’s way more action going on in the Rebel Moon thread with active hate than for this potentially big time Oscar contender lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"