Netflix's 13 REASONS WHY

Discussion in 'Misc. TV Series' started by Sawyer, Mar 1, 2017.

1. kaypain

kaypain Registered

Lol

Lencho01 likes this.
  2. Lencho01

Lencho01 Shazoogle! Shazoogle!

Well, I finished the latest season.

[​IMG]

3. Darkness Falls

Darkness Falls We Could Be Heroes.....

this season was weighed down by the new character

Calvin Ellis likes this.
  4. kaypain

kaypain Registered

7 episodes in and Ani is finally exposed for the lying, disloyal, snitching Thot that she is [​IMG]

5. Sawyer

Sawyer High King

Just finished. Might be my fastest binge ever. I actually kind of loved it.

The framing device of Ani speaking with Deputy Standall kind of worked against her by showing her to be deceitful and shady as hell, but it all served a greater purpose by the end.

The Clay/Tyler stuff this season was extremely well done. The deepening of Clay and Justin as brothers was great. I loved seeing Hannah's mother back, even if for just one episode.

Every square inch of my body tensed up during the scenes with Monty and the gay kid from Bryce's school, and it would 100% have gone badly for that kid had it continued, so he should just thank his lucky stars that things went the way they did and keep his mouth shut. :o

As for Bryce... I really don't know. If they were trying to give him dimension, I think it only succeeded as a result of Justin Prentice's charisma and ability. Like, if you told me that Brock Turner was getting shunned by his school peers and broke down crying in his mother's yoga studio, I'd just say... who gives a ****? This whole bit of the repentant serial rapist, especially one who has managed to avoid any real punishment, just feels very fabricated to me. And, granted, it is a fictional tv show aimed at a younger audience, so naturally fabrications are bound to happen, but I just don't know about that aspect of the season.

Although, granted, his final moments showed how, even with someone coming to his aid, he couldn't keep a hold on his worst impulses. And it came back to bite him.

All I know is they better not try that sympathetic **** with Monty in the final season. He didn't give a rat's ass what he did to Tyler.

If anything, I'm a little mad at the dangling threads ruining what could have honestly been the closest thing to an uplifting ending we could ever hope for. I kinda just want the murder pact to get away with it.

#130 Sawyer, Aug 26, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2019
    KaijuDude1992 likes this.
  6. Zantera

Zantera Registered

I'm only 5 episodes in but this season is really bad. I thought s1 was decent (like 7/10) s2 was more mediocre (like 5/10) but so far S3 is not very good at all. The new character is a big part of the reason but just the angle of the story is so awkward so far.

Calvin Ellis and Kev4000 like this.
  7. kaypain

kaypain Registered

They wanted to How To Get Away With Murder so bad with season

8. KaijuDude1992

KaijuDude1992 Registered

I did like this season enough overall, but they definitely made a lot of questionable choices with certain characters. Loved the stuff with Clay, Justin and Tyler and how those three really became closer as brothers and as friends, but the whole direction with Bryce this season was really weird and honestly quite jarring at times. I don't mind a character getting a redemption arc, but it never felt all that earned IMO and by the end of this season I couldn't help but feel like it was all kind of pointless considering how much he still ends up looking like a complete ******** even in the brief moments before his death. Also, freak Monty.

He deserved his fate, and I pray that they don't do what they tried to do with Bryce this season. If that happens I honestly don't know if I'll be able to watch the next season which I am actually looking forward too.

9. Calvin Ellis

Calvin Ellis Kal-El of Earth 23

This new girl is really killing the season. She is really making it hard to get through the shows. I keep waiting to fast forward whenever she is on.

10. Zantera

Zantera Registered

The whole "let's add a new character and write her so she is BFFs with everyone" is really jarring with the new season. If she was a side character I think it could have worked but not the main character who is also narrating... The fact that she's nosy, makes herself involved in every situation and also comes off as a phony lying person doesn't help either.

But yeah i think the most glaring issue with the season is trying to make Bryce a sympathetic character. That kind of redemption arc can work and can be interesting if the character made one mistake and really regrets it. It doesn't work with a serial rapist who has raped 3 (?) characters in the show and also allegedly many more (50+?) based on the pictures. And also he only showed remorse for what he did once word got out that he was a raper and he had nothing left.

I saw someone suggest they should have had Bryce narrate the season and I would have liked that better i think. He's imo one of the standouts of the show and i think he plays both the "d-bag" and the "trying to be nice"-guy well. He still would have been irredeemable after what he did in s1 and s2 but it could have been a more interesting framework like "hey i died, i know i did some awful things in my life but here's some good things too". I just hate the new character though.

11. chamber-music

chamber-music Infinity Ammo

I still don't feel any sympathy for Bryce after watching the latest season. If the tapes had not got out and Jessica had not come forward then he would of still been out there raping girls without a care in the world.

His life going to hell and everyone treating him like the ******* he was is the only reason he started to reflect on his actions.

I don't get why the cops and everyone else in the show (students/parents) straight away thought Bryce killer is a Liberty student. Other than the fact there was a brawl at the football game there was no real indication his killer could be a old classmate.

Clay, Justin, Jessica and Tyler stuff was the highlight for me.

I didn't hate Ani but I did think she was slightly manipulative and a dishonest hypocrite.

Clay was still annoying at times as well. His detective approach was just snoop on people and then accuse them of killing Bryce because they didn't immediately some information to him.

12. TheFuture

TheFuture Valar Dohaeris

It's nothing against the actress as she's quite good, but as you say it's quite jarring. Actually I'd go even further and say her insertion into the story was completely bizarre, and has led to terribly contrived plot.

The cast was strong enough to carry a 3rd season imo without this new addition. I really can't believe they have fudged it like they have.

13. Calvin Ellis

I just finished the new season and it was tough to get through because of her. I mean not only was she not needed she then convinced all of them to go against everything they stood for or tried being. Just to get back at someone else. I don't see the purpose of her at all. I mean they could've done all of this with the cast they had in hand or have done this with Clay and Bryce just still talking to ghost Hannah. She wasn't needed expect for if they have something planned for the lies she told. In all honesty they should've just kept this as a mini series and left it with one season.

#138 Calvin Ellis, Aug 29, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2019
  14. Zantera

Zantera Registered

I feel like she was written to be 3 different characters or something mashed into one because her character just felt so inconsistent. Like pretty much every episode she changed her stance on who she thought was the killer and sure new evidence will impact what you think but it was almost hilarious in some cases like:

One episode: "Im afraid of Clay, i dont know what he is capable of... he had the most motive and he is dangerous"
    Next episode: "How can Clay be your main suspect? he's not that type of person"

It was also quite funny how she was so fast to compare what Tyler did and them helping/forgiving him to what Bryce did and them hating him. Not to defend Tyler but how is almost doing something bad the same as doing something bad repeatedly?

KaijuDude1992 and Calvin Ellis like this.
  15. kaypain

kaypain Registered

I like the idea of Bryce being the narrator

Zantera and KaijuDude1992 like this.
  16. Sawyer

Sawyer High King

Kinda weird to me how many people seem to think
    Monty's death is a result of him being blamed for Bryce, when he clearly died before they came up with the lie.

17. TheFuture

TheFuture Valar Dohaeris

Another thing I found irritating is the constant cat and mouse between friends for the sake of drama. Clay and Hannah's mother for example where the latter could have just told Clay everything she knew there and then instead of sending him to Tony for information she already knew.

Another example is what Zantera outlined in regards to Ani, where she switches stance dependant on the focus of a given episode. Awful like.

Prison Mike and Zantera like this.
  18. chamber-music

Certain stuff was clearly done to drag the story out since they had to fill 13 episodes.

Clay and Ani thinking Jessica was sleeping with Bryce was dumb. It was obvious she was referring to Justin.

19. Filmfan93

Filmfan93 The Man in Black

Just finished Season 3.

What a train wreck.

All they could come up with was
    Alex and Jessica killing Bryce?! They didn't even get proper episodes that flesh their motivations while other boring characters that had NOTHING to do with Bryce's murder, got "red herring" episodes just so that they can drag this for 13 episodes.

And the Ani character... what an annoyance. She integrated herself into the group and did nothing but lie and doubt every single character without valid reason.

20. Sawyer

Sawyer High King

21. chamber-music

LT. Dan be all up in the teen drama

22. Prison Mike

Prison Mike Don't drop the soap!

Good. Clay needs all the therapy he can get.

Calvin Ellis likes this.
  23. Lencho01

Lencho01 Shazoogle! Shazoogle!

And send him and the rest of others to jail for lying. They need to be scared straight.

Calvin Ellis likes this.
  24. Calvin Ellis

And they would have no one to blame but themselves for listening to Ani and going along with the lie.

25. Prison Mike

Prison Mike Don't drop the soap!

I finished the season and still hated Ani. She was super annoying and getting into everyone’s business. I think it was a mistake to have a completely new character be the narrator. Should have been someone we already like.