Netflix's Live-Action Avatar: The Last Airbender General Discussion Thread

*looks at all of Jake Styles’ posts about how the movie did everything better than the Netflix series*

*unironically calls it “the best movie ever made”*

Now I know this has to be somebody trolling.

I remember over a decade ago passing my younger brother upstairs right as the credits were rolling as he was finishing the film adaptation. He said it was the worst film he’d ever seen. And keep in mind, he’s very easy to please when it comes to his entertainment, so that is saying a lot. :hehe:

I will say, so far, I have my criticisms of the Netflix series and, while it is definitely not at the level of the original cartoon, it is still leagues above that M. Night Shyamalan abomination. You hold that up as a standard of quality, you’ve already lost me.

Ironically, and chill out, you don't have to dismiss my opinion because you disagree.

I have my criticisms of this, it's a very superficial adaptation, and while I think they very much intended to do justice to the original, there are a number of areas where they seem to have missed the point and made changes that actively make the story and characters less interesting (removing Sokka's sexist worldview is probably the best example of this lack of understanding, and showing Azula's insecurities this early is also pretty bad). But for all its flaws, I still mostly enjoyed it and it comes nowhere close to being as bad as the movie was, and if they listen to the criticism they should be able to give us a better second season.

Last edited:
Im halfway thru and after a rough start its really growing on me. You can feel the actors getting more comfortable in their roles as it progresses. Like the actor who plays Sokka i thought was HORRIBLE in the pilot—distractingly so even. But by episode 5 I’m finding him charming and funny. Or maybe it just getting used to it.

But im enjoying it overall. You can tell theyre trying to be as faithful as possible to the cartoon.

Definitely no One Piece. But I don't think it's anywhere as bad as people are making it out to be imo, there's some good stuff in here. Definitely nowhere near the movie's level of bad.
Yeah some people on social media are acting like this is on the same level as that awful Netflix Death Note movie... It's definitely not the greatest show ever, but I think it's fine.

I've finished... What a drag, all the characters felt fake, they all like a cardboard, no flaws, no passion, just sad stories and desire to help Aang because... What? Katara wanted revenge for her mother, Sokka wanted to prove himself, but in this adaptation? There's nothing, characters just do what the script based on cult classic tell them to do. Nothing more.

Everything about Katara, her acting, dialogues, the fact that they've made her look like another badass female despite the fact that she didn't earn it like in the original where she was fully-fledge character was poor cringe. The moment Aang told that there's no need for anyone to get hurt and after Zuko respond with "I don't care", he looked with a smug and said "I know", and camera turned to Katara... I have flashbacks from Star Wars sequels, it was so clumsy, unearned...

I can't count how many times I've heard repeated dialogues, word by word...

3/10

Edit:

I give 4/10 for Zhao, he was more intimidating and evil than Ozai himself.

Last edited:
I found the show to be fine. Some of the remixes were better than others, sure, but overall, without thinking of the original, still fine. I think overall, it does what an adaptation should do, find new things for the show. The big through line I saw of the first season was the effect of a hundred years of war on people.

The biggest problem I see is that the original is so beloved, that any deviation is going to really upset people.

Good news. As I expected it did better than One Piece, especially in the states. I say a season 2 is pretty much guaranteed. While I didn’t love season 1, I still saw the potential for a great show if they get more seasons and I hope they do Toph Justice.

Good news. As I expected it did better than One Piece, especially in the states. I say a season 2 is pretty much guaranteed. While I didn’t love season 1, I still saw the potential for a great show if they get more seasons and I hope they do Toph Justice.

I wonder how that ranks with other premieres

Her blind jokes alone should provide some entertainment.

giphy.gif

Lol, you think they would allow problematic and offensive jokes?

Imagine if they could get The Rock as the Boulder in season 2.

Imagine if they could get The Rock as the Boulder in season 2.
Wouldn't be possible per his contracts, I'm afraid. He can't lose any fights, which the Boulder does. Unless they change it that he wrecks team Avatar, I guess.

Wouldn't be possible per his contracts, I'm afraid. He can't lose any fights, which the Boulder does. Unless they change it that he wrecks team Avatar, I guess.
That's such a silly thing to have in your contracts.

I rewatched it and if we get a s2 definitely need to improve the GaAang chemistry with one another. They need some side adventures.

Improve Katara, she was more sidelined it felt.

Bring back Aangs sense if urgency to learn everything. He doesn't even waterbend in this.

Overall, I liked it. Some changes I was a little iffy on at first, but just rolled with it after some time. Much like the show with the second season being an improvement, I hope this one gets better too.

I liked the adaption. It’s a shame they don’t quite land with azula but kiyoshi and zuko were great and uncle iroh was superb. Definitely an improvement from last time

I mean, you can't really find someone with Grey Griffin's distinctive voice talents. But I liked what we got of her.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"