Netflix's Live-Action Avatar: The Last Airbender General Discussion Thread

Some good news, possibly. Glad to see the original creators are back and planing on an animated movie.

I wonder how this'll effect the Netflix show. I hope it helps push it into the can.

Yeah this was always gonna be a red headed step child since Paramount+ was in the works.
But especially now with the expanded universe coming up.

And then there's just so much bad or weird press surrounding this.

We'll see I guess

Oh, they are still doing this? That sucks.

It does sound terrible and fishy but that probably means it is true. Another live-action dud for Avatar if that is accurate.

If true, are they under the impression that Avatar isn't popular? Like they need to change it to make it so?

It's crazy that all we have are vague descriptions of things that might happen and it's already worse than the live-action movie. That's an impressive amount of incompetence.

They should stop trying to will this trainwreck into existence and just put it out of its misery already.

They should stop trying to will this trainwreck into existence and just put it out of its misery already.

Probably can't. With Paramount+ up and running, and moving in on Avatar's popularity, Netflix probably doesn't have room to start up again without their current deal lapsing.

The latest casting rumor…

I dont know, too young overall. I have the feeling that will end like Disney Channel for little kids. I doubt a 11yo can handle this.

I dont know, too young overall. I have the feeling that will end like Disney Channel for little kids. I doubt a 11yo can handle this.

There have been plenty of child actors who are great. Avatar doesn't start with very heavy material.

Kirsten Dunst was 11 in Interview with a Vampire holding her own with grown men in their mid 20s/30s

I am skeptical of this rumor. Internet sleuthing isn't exactly the most reliable.

The latest casting rumor…

I'm not really into Avatar but when I showed the cast to my friends who are they got kinda tight about Sokka's actor. Apparently Ian Ousley is white, which means that DiMartino and Konietzko lied about not whitewashing the cast. I guess it could be that Ousley has some brown or indigenous heritage and he's just private about that, but he doesn't really look like the character anyway. Sokka looks more dark skinned.

maybe his audition was just great.
I am sick and tired of Hollywood casting young adults as teenagers. These characters are quite young, so the actors need to be too.

Stranger Things is a massive hit. This year, Sweet Tooth was a hit too.

And about the cast, yeah, not a fan of whitewashing.

Stranger Things is a massive hit. This year, Sweet Tooth was a hit too.

not only that. Stranger Things is arguably the biggest Netflix original of all time, I can't even think of something bigger. And I also loved Sweet Tooth

to be clear, I am not entirely sure about Ousley. It seems very much like he's caucasian, but it's not conclusive. Maybe he has some brown heritage. But I just want to also say there is a difference between being white and having some brown heritage, and being brown.

edit: and again though off the bat he doesn't really look like the character much either - but maybe he rocked the audition

Last edited:

Well I imagine its hard to find a 11yo old Asian kid which can act decent, is willing to spend to shoot in the US and can speak English fluent without notable accent.

I'm not really into Avatar but when I showed the cast to my friends who are they got kinda tight about Sokka's actor. Apparently Ian Ousley is white, which means that DiMartino and Konietzko lied about not whitewashing the cast. I guess it could be that Ousley has some brown or indigenous heritage and he's just private about that, but he doesn't really look like the character anyway. Sokka looks more dark skinned.

maybe his audition was just great.

I am sick and tired of Hollywood casting young adults as teenagers. These characters are quite young, so the actors need to be too.

Well, they're not part of the Netflix show anymore. At least, that's the impression they gave a while back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"