New Devil May Cry 4 Hands on

I agree with Spider-X and Timstuff even though I like NG more. for me it's a challenge thing, It hasn't taken me more than a week to beat the last 3 DMC games but it took months to beat NG so I got more sense of accomplishment. Don't get me wrong I'll be picking both up when they're released because both are extremely fun. Some people just take gaming WAY to seriously when they have to argue about it, especially what the characters are wearing.

Trish is not hotter than Rachel. How can you call yourself a NG fan?

:cmad:

Wow if I wasn't so wrapped up in my hatred of all things WHF, I to might have been able to construct posts as masterful as Spider-X and Timstuff. :o

Trish is not hotter than Rachel. How can you call yourself a NG fan?

:cmad:

dmc4tgs07.jpg

There's nothing badass about dressing like a postal, anorexic Santa Claus

GTFOs.gif

I know what you mean. Especially when it comes to design, combat, and narrative. Devil May Cry's environments are all very well meshed together, because they all have an overall dark and gothic look. NG's design feels like everything has kind of just been tossed together into a salad bowl. I like Devil May Cry's combat because it feels almost like a Tony Hawk game with a sword instead of a skateboard. It's all about stringing together combos and keeping the killing spree going as long as you can, while in NGS, it's a lot more rigid, even though it's well done for a rigid combo system. And as for story, I agree that Devil May Cry's story succeeds because it knows not to take itself seriously, and as a result, it's both funny and cool at the same time. Ninja Gaiden however has a weaksauce narrative to begin with, and it tries to be serious, so it ends up just seeming pretentious.

They're both good games, but Devil May Cry is overall better. It has a lot more creativity fueling it IMO.

agreed...and you just reminded me of another point:

NG, while handling what it does incredibly well, is all still kind of been-there-done-that.

DMC feels more fresh,spectacular, and somewhat innovative with it's combat, character's abilities, and overall style.

dmc4tgs07.jpg

Well I actually kind of prefer Lady in her DMC3 incarnation, but that's just me. I'm not saying Lady looks bad or anything. :O

so here's the thing...i have all the DMCs and i've played many hours on NG sigma and i enjoy them both but i must stay from my experience with both:

Devil May Cry has way more interesting and detailed environment design where as NG's comes off way too sterile.

Yeah, but substantially speaking it really is a worthless point in the argument of whether DMC is actually better than Ninja Gaiden. Which it, in fact, is not.

NG's combat system is much more ridged as well with "must hit in sequence in order to get the proper move" combat instead of the more fluid customizable combos that DMC offers.

Wrong. Dead wrong. I'd love to go in-depth about how the combat and gameplay in Ninja Gaiden wipes the floor with DMC's system, but I did so once already in an argument with Zenny earlier so I'll just repost it:

Fenrir said:
OK I wasn't really in the mood to engage in a ******ed quote war but since you're so inclined to start one, I guess I'll play ball.

Those are all valid complaints, but something tells me you never played Devil May Cry 3, the enemies aren't as aggressive, but dying on the first level isn't uncommon, and it's not because of cheapness, it's because you encounter enemies that force you to constantly keep moving and reacting with split seconds notice. Ninja Gaiden is basically a timing game when it comes to its combat. Devil may Cry, while taking in all those criticisms, is much more free form and actually allows the player real control over the avatar. Ninja Gaiden is very dial a combo, canned moves, and the success of those moves are based on timing, not necessarily doing the right move like in DMC. Now granted the pace is very fast, and that makes it feel intense, but in conjunction with how deficient Ninja Gaiden is in every aspect that isn't its combat system, the game feels quite boring once you've figured out what combo to dial and when, since the AI is reactive, and you can basically manipulate it rather easily.

LOL, I've played all the DMC games Zenien, and have completed both DMC1 and 3 on hard. I really can't imagine anyone sucking so hard as to dying on the very first level in DMC3, it's really quite easy save for the Cerberus boss fight, and that too not because it's "challenging" in any way that requires a real test of your combat skills, but rather it is more a matter of endurance of being able to survive the ridiculous health bars of the bosses, especially on higher difficulties. And I also find it hilarious at you saying that DMC3 is more free form and allows more control over it's avatar than Ninja Gaiden, considering Dante can't even pull half as many moves than Ryu, neither can he wall-run, double jump or even block and counter like Ryu can. Sure you can change styles on the fly in DMC3, but it's really little more than a gimmick to compensate for the lack of moves available to you with a single weapon. As for the dial-a-combo part, I think you've got DMC and NG confused - the very video of DMC3 you posted shows you can simply let loose and look "cool" trying all the wow-combos and chains and mash buttons while the other enemies just watch the show, while in Ninja Gaiden even the lesser fiends and ninjas will kick your ass for attempting such foolery. To succeed in NG, you have to play it like a true master, by mixing combo chains (yes you CAN do that in Ninja Gaiden), throws, air dashes, ultimate techniques with Ryu's vast assortment of acrobatic maneuvers. Plus, the enemies in NG don't just stand there and wait for you to look cool, they really know how to gang up on you and even the lower level enemies can easily chop your health down to critical levels if you're careless. There is NO FREAKIN' WAY you can just "dial combos" in NG and get away with it - because as you start "dialing" these combos, you will almost always get clobbered with ranged attacks (explosive shurikens from ninjas, bullets and rockets from soldiers and teleporting and long range attacks from fiends). And the AI in NG is set up that generally in fights against a group of 3 or more, only a handful will charge against you head on while one or two hang back and provide long range support. Which is why you always have to stay on the move in NG. Standing in one place and "dialing combos" will only get you clobbered. Go play Ninja Gaiden again and then come back to this discussion.

You can melee more then one enemy in DMC.

Yeah, maybe if they're in a tight cluster straight in front of you, but what if you need freely and even simultaneously attack enemies on all sides, like in the final boss fight where you team up with Vergil in DMC3 in which the boss throws a whole bunch of little snakes (or some crap like that) at you that surround you and are really annoying because you can't really dispose them in the way you can with the circular swords slashes, Lunar or Vigorian Flail in Ninja Gaiden.

The weapons don't really have a masssive move list, having played through Sigma, I found them to be pretty shallow, I'm always surprised that people say the weapons have a lot of depth, when to me that's one of the weakest aspects of Ninja Gaiden. Just look at the moves you do have, and how beating an enemy is usually about just doing that one move, timed right.

Then the problem here in not the weapons themselves, it is your poor perception. You say the weapons don't really have a massive move list, even though the move list of Dragon's Fang and Tiger's Claw alone is longer than two weapons combined in DMC3. Not to mention that every weapon in Ninja Gaiden is extremely useful at different points in the game (save for the duplicates like nunchaku, war hammer and wooden sword <well, only until you fully upgrade it> that have much superior alternatives with the Vigoorian Flail and Dabilahro) which somewhat forces you to discover the right weapon for the right time to be most effective, even though you can scrape by the whole using just the one same weapon, but where's the fun in that?

The combat evens out, Ninja Gaiden trades control and actual move depth for a fast pace, and Devil may Cry trades a fast pace for control and move depth. All they need to do in DMC is make enemies more aggressive. The platforming in Ninja Gaiden is better, but aside from being pretty much equal in combat, Ninja Gaiden is virtually ******ed in all other aspects, which is why I don't think it's as good overall.

Again, it is amusing you say DMC has move depth and control in spite of the game's ******ed manual lock function and that fact that it is almost ZERO in acrobatics and lacks essential combat elements like blocking and counters. Sure, DMC3 is flashier and more stylish, but it desperately lacks the substance of Ninja Gaiden, precisely why it failed to garner the levels of critical acclaim of the latter. Anyone who says DMC3 is anywhere close to Ninja Gaiden in combat (let alone EQUAL) is desperately reaching.

Play Devil may Cry 3 on hard mode, or extreme where it's sped up faster then Ninja Gaiden, and say that it doesn't have substance. The distinction really, is that Devil may Cry gives you as much freeform and control as possible, while Ninja Gaiden restricts you, in a lot of ways it's like the control difference between a Metal Gear and Splinter Cell. True Devil may Cry is more mashy, but at the same time it still has that split second timing in abundance, and to actually play DMC well, requires more skill then Ninja Gaiden, because Ninja Gaiden is just a timing game where you hit the right button at the right time, Devil May Cry is free form and its up to the player to figure it out and excell at it. Ninja Gaiden is timing, dial a combo, rinse and repeat, you might be good at timing, but come back when you can pull off moves like this, or style change on the fly like in DMC4.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3T_RdUPNg6k

Like I said in the beginning, I finished both DMC1 and 3 on Hard mode, and the game still isn't as fast as Ninja Gaiden is on Hard mode, especially in the boss duels. I can't stop laughing now as you keep reiterating that DMC is more free-form and Ninja Gaiden is restrictive, when you can't even pull off proper acrobatics in combat, have half as many moves compared to NG, can't block or counter, attack multiple enemies simultaneously from different angles, or even use firearms without holding the moronic manual lock on button. I've already how the style change is little more than a gimmick to compensate for the lack of moves available to you with a single weapon. I don't know where you're pulling that "Metal Gear/Splinter Cell control difference" crap from, because it's quite baseless. As for the split-second timing and requiring more skill, just try taking on both Ishtaros and Nicchae AT ONCE in mission mode and then try telling me if DMC tests your nerves like that. Matter of fact, there isn't an action hack'n' slash game on the planet that throws an enormous mix of challenge and adrenaline rush like that.

although neither really have amazing plots, NG's is far cornier than DMC's...at least DMC seems to not take itself too seriously where as NG try to play it off and just ends up falling flat on it's face in comparison.

LOL! Ya gotta be f**kin' kidding me. DMC's plot doesn't take itself too seriously? Just because Dante is acting like an ass more than half the time doesn't mean the story is tongue-in-cheek as well. Sure, Ninja Gaiden isn't much better either, but at least it is sober enough all the way not to make your teeth cringe with atrocious moments like Dante sobbing like a little b**h over Trish's "dead" body only to have her back only minutes later (and you say Ninja Gaiden is "cornier" :dry: ). It's obvious DMC tries way too hard to be "emotional", only to fail monumentally.

DMC also offers more variety in weaponry. while DMC may not have as many weapons as NG, it certainly has more variation between the kinds of weapons and how you can use them.

Most of them being useless or nowhere near as effective as the default sword, unlike the ones in Ninja Gaiden where almost every weapon is practical in one situation or the other.

DMC is just funner: more flexible combat, more interesting environments, funner and characters and more interesting enemies.

"Fun" is subjective, bubby. Plus it doesn't change the fact that review scores and the level of critical acclaim of both series suggest that Ninja Gaiden is simply better. Period.

and i must say that, based off the latest DMC4 videos @ gametrailers.com, i can't say i find the cut scenes but be anywhere near as corny as the previous ones and yet they still maintain the enjoyable wit and humor of the series.

I don't pay 60 bucks for good cutscenes. As an action game, Ninja Gaiden schools DMC.

oh...and here's this:

http://onaxis.blogspot.com/2007/12/1up-previews-devil-may-cry-4.html

PS3 version is looking better than the 360's...(i just like to throw that in the 360 peoples faces because, around here, the PS3 fans get nothing but continous and unwarranted bull crap from the xbots *cough* Fenrir and WHF *cough* about this sort of thing)

If the gameplay vid comparison of both games that I posted earlier in this thread is any indication, then DMC4 looking better on the PS3 will be a non-issue since Ninja Gaiden 2 is going to whup it's ass anyway. And we still get to play DMC4 in the process.

in short: DMC >>>>NG

In bizarro land maybe.

NINJA GAIDEN FTW! :ninja: :brucebat:

Ninja Gaiden is 10 times the game DMC will ever be. I had more fun with the demo of Sigma than I ever did with the original DMC.

Ninja Gaiden is 10 times the game DMC will ever be. I had more fun with the demo of Sigma than I ever did with the original DMC.

WTF?! You own a goddamn PS3 and all you played of Ninja Gaiden was a bloody demo?! :cmad:

It's a shame and all that I never got around to finishing the rebutal to that. "Weapons don't have enough moves, that's why you can style change!" Was especially stupid. :dry:

WTF?! You own a goddamn PS3 and all you played of Ninja Gaiden was a bloody demo?! :cmad:

I'll get it at some point! I swears!

I couldn't beat the boss at the end... :(

It's a shame and all that I never got around to finishing the rebutal to that. "Weapons don't have enough moves, that's why you can style change!" Was especially stupid. :dry:

In Devil May Cry, all you do it hold L1 and hammer circle. The shotgun does the rest for you.

I can't imagine what non difficulty mode you were playing on where that worked as you described it.

After you dided a couple of times and hit down on the DPAD and then continued.

Pfft. Keep telling yourself that, luv. :woot:

The visuals in NG2 don't hold a candle to DMC4.

The action in DMC4 don't hold a candle to NG2.

:o

"omg because it's no NG which is a restrictive combat system that doesn't encourage experimentation and fun, DMC sucks!"

I don't think I even remember being able to block in DMC...

And you know what NG is much better than Zenien?

God of War. :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilAIS
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"