New Gods. Ava DuVernay to direct

Didn't even know that New Gods was even on the table. But interesting. Though I'm sure many will be quick to harp on DuVernay based on A Wrinkle in Time.

I think I'm more surprised that New Gods was considered than DuVernay herself, if just because there are so many films that DC seems to have in its silo, whether in the actual production or just idea phase.

Maybe this will be DuVernay's shining moment. They have the New Line people making the DC decisions now, and this pairing could be inspired.

Really cool. I'm intrigued.

Last edited:
Oh **** yes.

Yes yes yes.

So much yes.

/yes

So I'm gonna guess Ava was approached before last week's revelation that Wrinkle in Time wasn't what it was hyped up to be.

Gotta be honest, this is not exciting news. I was hoping Ava would just go back to lower-budget features. Hopping onto another major blockbuster after "flopping" so recently is not a good follow-up.

And New Gods of all IPs. Jesus. That's not to be taken lightly.

For her sake, I hope it doesn't flop. Not a wise idea to attach yourself to a DC vehicle when your career is still on unstable foundations.

Darkseid's comin' y'aaaaaall.

So I'm gonna guess Ava was approached before last week's revelation that Wrinkle in Time wasn't what it was hyped up to be.

Gotta be honest, this is not exciting news. I was hoping Ava would just go back to lower-budget features. Hopping onto another major blockbuster after "flopping" so recently is not a good follow-up.

And New Gods of all IPs. Jesus. That's not to be taken lightly.

New Gods in general doesn't excite me because I'm expecting the worst. A CG heavy movie where they go cheap with the effects and it's just a visual mess.

(Waits for more people to complain about a Fourth World movie being in development)

I wonder who will be the protagonist.
hLH485y.jpg

f7ff483d6f96bd1df3616923bd8edf86.jpg

ORIONcolor.jpg

Almost has to be Scott Free and Barda, especially given her preference for the character. Those two best illustrate the class struggle and the battle against oppression that defines the Fourth World mythology. They've got the most interesting and relevant/relatable backstories of the non-villains.

Oprah as Granny Goodness

I expect nothing less!

I might just go ahead and use my MoviePass on AWiT this weekend to see if I can spot any silver linings with this hiring. Everything I’d heard and seen of the film was just all kinds of dreadful, but I gotta find hope somewhere…

At the very least she needs a new VFX and art team.

I’m really curious when she signed the dotted line. After this weekend people were convinced her days of directing 100+ million dollar pics were over. But you can’t skimp cash on a Fourth World movie. So are WB really going to take a massive risk with her on this? This is all the makings of another eleventh-hour restructuring and intervention.

Protag will be Big Barda, that's her favorite superhero.

I suspect Ava was chosen because of A Wrinkle In Time. While we may look at it as an inferior movie compared to $200M blockbusters, it is supposedly unfilmable, and so for her to pull a film that only slightly underperformed out of it is not only incredible, but makes her the most qualified person to make the much less trippy - but still trippier than what anyone else is doing - New Gods.

Holy ****

Wasn’t expecting this

No one was.

As interested as I am, it's hard to tell which DCEU announcements are actually happening and which are "someone did a pitch we liked."

Only movie in the DCEU outside of MOS2/ Justice League Dark I'll care about if it happens.

Protag will be Big Barda, that's her favorite superhero.

I suspect Ava was chosen because of A Wrinkle In Time. While we may look at it as an inferior movie compared to $200M blockbusters, it is supposedly unfilmable, and so for her to pull a film that only slightly underperformed out of it is not only incredible, but makes her the most qualified person to make the much less trippy - but still trippier than what anyone else is doing - New Gods.

No one was.

As interested as I am, it's hard to tell which DCEU announcements are actually happening and which are "someone did a pitch we liked."

True.

I might just go ahead and use my MoviePass on AWiT this weekend to see if I can spot any silver linings with this hiring. Everything I’d heard and seen of the film was just all kinds of dreadful, but I gotta find hope somewhere…

At the very least she needs a new VFX and art team.

I’m really curious when she signed the dotted line. After this weekend people were convinced her days of directing 100+ million dollar pics were over. But you can’t skimp cash on a Fourth World movie. So are WB really going to take a massive risk with her on this? This is all the makings of another eleventh-hour restructuring and intervention.

"It did poorly both critically and financially? Sign her up!" - WB execs

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"