Supergirl Movie

Supergirl should be a girl. A real teen. Not in college. Not old enough to be interning at a big corporation.

A teen.

A kid.

The ONLY reason the character has been "aged up" so often the last 25 plus years has been about sex appeal.

Warner Brothers should have started developping a Supergirl film ten years ago when Imogen Poots was a young up-and-coming actress.
They could have seen that seen that she was unique among her peers. Because she did Centurion back then. An unusual choice of film for girls her age. And that they could strike gold with her.
Poots has since then always had a bit of quirky aura. She's is also a beauty in her own right, not the bland Hollywood type.

"Ah, this Imogen girl is interesting. Let's create something with her that takes advantage of her talent and style"

WB could have been thinking just like that, seeing that a long-term process would really benefit the final film. The pre-production could go on for 2-3 years, with consulting the actress now and then. Sort of working together with her on this. Yes, she would have been involved in the developpment
This way, they could together have slowly built up to a film with a quality mark. Then released it in 2015.

It would hopefully not have been a dumb mainstream adaption, but this take on a superhero should have a really well-written and clever story. A character-driven one.
This Supergirl should have been as unique as Donnerverse was at its start in 1978.
And I don't mean Supergirl going for the same style. It should instead have been fit for 2015, having a very modern feel and approach to the character. Maybe it can be better to compare it with 2017s Wonder Woman?
The years of development could even have brought a little bit of artsy feel to the Supergirl film, making it stick out from the generic blockbuster mold.

I would like to point out that there wouldn't have been any MOS film in this scenario.
DCU wouldn't even exist, the way we know it.

In retrospect, there are a lot of things that could have been done differently.
Studios are rarely this smart. But that's not because they want earn a lot of dollars. Money itself is simply not important any longer. It's gone beyond that. Now it's about FAST money.

Warner Brothers should have started developping a Supergirl film ten years ago when Imogen Poots was a young up-and-coming actress.
They could have seen that seen that she was unique among her peers. Because she did Centurion back then. An unusual choice of film for girls her age. And that they could strike gold with her.
Poots has since then always had a bit of quirky aura. She's is also a beauty in her own right, not the bland Hollywood type.
"Ah, this Imogen girl is interesting. Let's create something with her that takes advantage of her talent and style"

WB could have been thinking just like that, seeing that a long-term process would really benefit the final film. The pre-production could go on for 2-3 years, with consulting the actress now and then. Sort of working together with her on this. Yes, she would have been involved in the developpment
This way, they could together have slowly built up to a film with a quality mark. Then released it in 2015.

It would hopefully not have been a dumb mainstream adaption, but this take on a superhero should have a really well-written and clever story. A character-driven one.
This Supergirl should have been as unique as Donnerverse was at its start in 1978.
And I don't mean Supergirl going for the same style. It should instead have been fit for 2015, having a very modern feel and approach to the character. Maybe it can be better to compare it with 2017s Wonder Woman?
The years of development could even have brought a little bit of artsy feel to the Supergirl film, making it stick out from the generic blockbuster mold.

I would like to point out that there wouldn't have been any MOS film in this scenario.
DCU wouldn't even exist, the way we know it.

In retrospect, there are a lot of things that could have been done differently.
Studios are rarely this smart. But that's not because they want earn a lot of dollars. Money itself is simply not important any longer. It's gone beyond that. Now it's about FAST money.

No-one to give any comments? :csad:

Personally I don’t think they should have developed a Supergirl film years ago, the series was just starting out so was great that the show got to be the flag bearer for the character for a while. I’d love a Supergirl film in future but I’m not interested in that terrible idea they were developing where she was going to exist separate to Superman. I want to see the two in the same movie and I want Clark to be Kara’s tutor who she learns lessons from. Then in the end she takes what she’s learned and becomes a hero in her own right.

Personally I don’t think they should have developed a Supergirl film years ago, the series was just starting out so was great that the show got to be the flag bearer for the character for a while. I’d love a Supergirl film in future but I’m not interested in that terrible idea they were developing where she was going to exist separate to Superman. I want to see the two in the same movie and I want Clark to be Kara’s tutor who she learns lessons from. Then in the end she takes what she’s learned and becomes a hero in her own right.
In my scenario above there wasn't any MOS.
The Supergirl series wouldn't have been made either. That's why I pointed out that the development of the film should have started in 2010. Ten years ago.
And then it should have been released in 2015.

Why couldn't a film be a "flag bearer for the character" (as you described it)??

Last edited:
In my scenario above there wasn' any MOS.
The Supergirl series wouldn't have been made either. That's why I pointed out that the development of the film should have started in 2010. Ten years ago.
And then it should have been released in 2015.

Why couldn't a film be a "flag bearer for the character" (as you described it)??

Regardless, you don’t do Supergirl without Superman first.

Doing it now makes more sense as the series has introduced the character to new audiences. It even so missing the opportunity again if not having Superman & Supergirl team up would be a massive mistake. That’s why it makes more sense to establish your Superman first.

I always liked Imogen Poots for Supergirl. Mia Wasikowska was my other pick. Personally I wouldn’t want Kara to feel American, and so I think casting a Brit, Aussie or whoever with a somewhat unconvincing American accent is more appropriate.

I also think these two actresses would nail a more quiet or more pensive take on the character. After all she’s stranded on a different planet and just found out everyone she knows is dead.

I think a Supergirl film could be an interesting film to deal with the pressures of being a teenager, trying to fit in, etc. What better character than an alien teenage girl with superhearing to deal with these themes. Id like to see the film take cues from Eighth Grade, something that really puts us in the mind of a girl in situations where she feels an immense amount of pressure. Shades of Carrie could be interesting too (obviously with less disastrous results). Or maybe a suicide attempt? Could be pretty powerful if done right.

It could be an interesting film to teach girls that no matter who you are, even if you’re Supergirl, the kids in class may think you’re ugly, or have terrible fashion sense, or stupid, but that’s okay, because maybe you should just focus on your strengths (like superstrength!), what you can actually control, and what kind of woman you’re going to be in the real world once school is over.

Last edited:
Regardless, you don’t do Supergirl without Superman first.

Doing it now makes more sense as the series has introduced the character to new audiences. It even so missing the opportunity again if not having Superman & Supergirl team up would be a massive mistake. That’s why it makes more sense to establish your Superman first.
It could maybe be preventing creative freedom, thinking that Superman *always* have to come first.
The CW series strayed away from that for the most, and it became able to stand on its own.

The 1984 film? It had Superman absent from the story except for a poster and being mentioned.

So SuperRouth, try to judge my vision with Poots by its own worth, how I write about a long pre-production stage, the actress involved in the writing process etc.

It could maybe be preventing creative freedom, thinking that Superman *always* have to come first.
The CW series strayed away from that for the most, and it became able to stand on its own.

The 1984 film? It had Superman absent from the story except for a poster and being mentioned.

So SuperRouth, try to judge my vision with Poots by its own worth, how I write about a long pre-production stage, the actress involved in the writing process etc.

It did stand on its own but Superman existed and despite not seeing his face he’s in the pilot. Not saying she can’t or shouldn’t be a hero in her own right but you don’t debut her withSuperman existing. He should be intertwined into her origin story.

I always liked Imogen Poots for Supergirl. Mia Wasikowska was my other pick. Personally I wouldn’t want Kara to feel American, and so I think casting a Brit, Aussie or whoever with a somewhat unconvincing American accent is more appropriate.

I also think these two actresses would nail a more quiet or more pensive take on the character. After all she’s stranded on a different planet and just found out everyone she knows is dead.

I think a Supergirl film could be an interesting film to deal with the pressures of being a teenager, trying to fit in, etc. What better character than an alien teenage girl with superhearing to deal with these themes. Id like to see the film take cues from Eighth Grade, something that really puts us in the mind of a girl in situations where she feels an immense amount of pressure. Shades of Carrie could be interesting too (obviously with less disastrous results).

It could be an interesting film to teach girls that no matter who you are, even if you’re Supergirl, the kids in class may think you’re ugly, or have terrible fashion sense, or stupid, but that’s okay, because maybe you should just focus on your strengths (like superstrength!), what you can actually control, and what kind of woman you’re going to be in the real world once school is over.
Good ideas! :up:
For Supergirl to be an interesting film/character, the quality has to be there. Just a generic blockbuster isn't enough.
I dig your cast suggestions too. I've even have another candidate. Someone who could have replaced Poots in the vision I posted further up.

hq16.jpg

It did stand on its own but Superman existed and despite not seeing his face he’s in the pilot. Not saying she can’t or shouldn’t be a hero in her own right but you don’t debut her withSuperman existing. He should be intertwined into her origin story.
Good good!

How about my vision then? :)

I think a Supergirl film could also be a great Superman film at the same time if he’s the main supporting character.

It provides an interesting challenge for Clark, having to try and help Kara find her way, yet feeling powerless about it at times. Again, Karas family and friends all died, so it becomes an interesting examination of how we help (or sometimes are unable to help as much we’d like) people going through a rough time. And I imagine there’d be no worse example of this than someone whose world literally crumbled, so potentially, Supergirl could be Clark’s biggest challenge, in a sense, and the movie to feature his most Superman-ness. Instilling hope in old Bruce is one thing, but Kara?

I can picture a scene like this between Kara and Clark, with Clark reaIly having to project his honest self and connect with Kara, knowing that she may be on an emotional knife’s edge, not unlike that famous scene in All Star Superman.

Don’t think an actor like Cavill could cut it though tbh

Last edited:
A Carrie aspect to a Supergirl film could be really interesting. So long as it was just used to highlight her alienation and unfamiliarity with her powers, and not as Brightburn II!
That would be a great source of inspiration. Just as Joker and King of Comedy/Taxi Driver.

Supergirl should be a girl. A real teen. Not in college. Not old enough to be interning at a big corporation.

A teen.

A kid.

The ONLY reason the character has been "aged up" so often the last 25 plus years has been about sex appeal.

I agree that Kara should be a teen in the next iteration.

I would even hope they go the Spiderman MCU route and actually hire a teenager ,as opposed to getting a 20 something and have them already old enough to have a family by the second film.

Benoist and Slater both already corned the market for Supergirl as a young woman. The next version needs to be totally different from the previous two and really play up the teenage aspect.

We don't have very many teenage girl superheroes on film. So a superhero film taking that approach with Supergirl could be very appealing to an audience that these films tend not to cater to.

Elle Fanning is still my go-to for Kara. She's no longer a teen, but still youthful certainly.

If WB wants to go a much younger route, then I think the pick is McKenna Grace. She's only 14 and could certainly grow with the character.

It'd be cool to see Supergirl folded into a DCEU Teen Titans or Young Justice film adaptation with The Batman's Robin (hopefully Noah Schnapp), Kid Flash, et al.

troop-zero-mckenna-grace.jpg

^Now this is an exciting choice, not the least because she already played young Carol in Captain Marvel (and several other Young [insert main character]), so it's an appropriate upgrade to finally play the hero in the present. She's also done fine work on Haunting of Hill House and Designated Survivor. I also think it was a huge missed opportunity that Supergirl didn't join the Teen Titans back in the day.

Her role in Captain Marvel was so limited too, it’s like saying Wyat Oleff couldn’t be considered for Kid Flash because he was a young Peter Quill in a flashback.

Agreed that not having Kara on the team missed the mark.

Elle Fanning is still my go-to for Kara. She's no longer a teen, but still youthful certainly
Great candidate!
Now we have three stars who should have played Supergirl, already years ago. :)

A teen.

A kid.

I partially agree Helen Slater was 19 when she was cast so yes an adult but barely. For a TV show it’s a challenge to do a main character in high school because you have three at most four seasons that high school can last, then you have to make a big transition that most shows fail at, movies are an entirely different situation. I always pictured a movie version of Kara sorta like Hit-Girl in Kick-Ass. Chloe Grace Moretz was 13 when the first movie came out in 2010 and 16 when the the sequel came out. Find someone like her but 10-11 years younger and I think you’ve a good Kara. I think there’s at least a movie’s worth of story to tell with a very young teen Kara that it shouldn’t be a challenge not to sexualize her.

I agree that Kara doesn’t need to have an American accent, Gal Gadot’s Israeli accent works for Diana who like Kara wasn’t raised in the US. Melissa Benoist uses what my speech therapist friend calls a bit of an “atypical speech pattern” for Kara. It’s just different enough that someone might wonder where in the US Kara’s from. It’s not her regular speaking voice, so it’s an acting choice, but not different enough to really call it an accent it’s more like the rhythm doesn’t really fit any particular typical US pattern. If the best actress for the part isn’t American then let her use her natural accent. It would actually be cool if a non-American gets cast and as part of the story Kara tries to speak more like the people around her in order to fit in, that would work no matter how good the actress actually is at doing an American accent.

Last edited:
Just rewatched the 1984 movie. There's a lot wrong with it but man, Helen Slater was perfect.

I'm sure they'll go with the young adult route. 21 minimum. That's just how we know Supergirl. She's never really been a teen in the recent years. And there's no reason for her to be a teen.

Just rewatched the 1984 movie. There's a lot wrong with it but man, Helen Slater was perfect.
Both Helen Slater and Melissa Benoist are good representations of the character, which should give filmmakers a good idea about selecting future Supergirl actress.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"