Superman Returns New Lex Article at IGN.com

Whack Arnolds said:
Maybe it was because I just saw the movies last year for the first time...but there was maybe a scene or two where I didn't cringe, out of all four movies, the rest of the time I was gritting my teeth.

I think Spacey adds a sinister presense, and these manical eyes that would bring such power to the role of Lex Luthor.

All I can tell you is that when I am watching Lois and Superman fly off together and sing, I feel like I want to delete that scene with scissors.

I think Gene Hackman's Luthor in I and II (Don't count IV, for the love of God) was fantastic. Brilliant mind used for evil. And his sense of humor was very wry. I don't think Hackman's performance was bad at all. However, Spacey's going a step further and going to do Hackman's Luthor but much darker. We know from various sources that Luthor in SR has a wry, twisted sense of humor, like Hackman's, and for that, I am glad.

Funny how people see Hackman's performance as campy. In IV, yes. Otherwise, I never found it campy. Campy would be playing it straight though he's an idiot or truly goofy, like Adam West's Batman. But Gene's Lex was playing it straight to the morons around him. Hackman gave us a very twisted and cunning villain, and I think people tend to forget that.

Looking at him in the first film, especially his scenes alone with Reeve were very well played, and I found him genuinely cunning and imposing, in a way.

However, what Spacey made his own was Lex's hairstyle, or lack thereof. No curly wig, a-la Gene Hackman. Spacey went for the chrome dome. "He shaved it off," says Singer. "Which was, I'll tell you, very strange."

"He never wears that curly wig," says Dyas. The original script had a line that referred to a curly wig. "Bryan was concerned that if we went too comical with Lex it would take away all of the fear of his character. The idea that he was going to be sort of a clown dressed up in a curly wig, and do the whole campy Gene Hackman thing, didn't work for Bryan at all.

Suck on that all you people who complained that a blog shows that Lex wears a hairpiece in the film and that his character is campy AND that Singer wants a campy film :down

Mentok said:
Suck on that all you people who complained that a blog shows that Lex wears a hairpiece in the film and that his character is campy AND that Singer wants a campy film :down

AMEN!

Showtime029 said:
All I can tell you is that when I am watching Lois and Superman fly off together and sing, I feel like I want to delete that scene with scissors.
Yeah. But you don't want to hear my evaluations on the original Superman movies. People here would go up in arms if they heard what I have to say about them. At least we will be getting a serious Superman movie, with great talent surrounding it in 'Superman Returns'. Although I still wish they went with a full out re-start ala Batman Begins. But this will do. :up:

I would say the same thing, but apparently I defend Singer and Routh to much.

Whack Arnolds said:
Yeah. But you don't want to hear my evaluations on the original Superman movies. People here would go up in arms if they heard what I have to say about them. At least we will be getting a serious Superman movie, with great talent surrounding it in 'Superman Returns'. Although I still wish they went with a full out re-start ala Batman Begins. But this will do. :up:

Apparently I can't say anything, because I just got flamed for about 3 pages by Oldguy for supposedly misrepresenting your opinion in the casting post, even though you knew it was all in good fun.

That being said, there are alot of people that have huge issues with the Superman movies. I didn't at the time, but now watch them and cringe at some scenes.

Superman4ever said:
I thought this was so cool!

http://filmforce.ign.com/articles/701/701987p1.html

Superman Returns: The New Lex Luthor
Let us introduce you.
by Steve Head
April 18, 2006 -

He's one of the all-time, quintessential arch enemies. He's maniacally determined. He has a quick mind, a sly sense of humor, an eye for style (albeit outlandish), and no conscience. As nemesis extraordinaire in Superman Returns, Lex Luthor will implement a series of threats that reach beyond Metropolis. Beyond America. And if it all goes to plan: kill Superman. Sounds like the perfect role for Kevin Spacey. It's "the kind of character that's more fun for him," says director Bryan Singer. "Each thing he's doing is so funny, or so strange, or sinister, that it's just fun and for him. It's a joy."

For this new incarnation of Lex Luthor, Spacey was the first choice, right from the start. "We'd always written that role with him in mind," says Singer. "He's an old friend and this is a great opportunity for all the obvious reasons."

Spacey, whose prior collaboration with Singer was his Oscar-winning performance in The Usual Suspects, was almost unable to commit to Superman Returns due to a scheduling conflict. The filmmakers worked overtime, reworking the shooting schedule to adhere to Spacey's six week window of opportunity. "Bryan would prefer to shoot in continuity, but and we didn't have that luxury," says producer Chris Lee. The producers also tried to shift the shooting schedule for Hugh Laurie, who was originally cast as Perry White, but it didn't work. For Spacey, however, they were fortunate. "We made it work. And I think he'll be the definitive Lex."

In fact, when Spacey arrived in Sydney, Australia, they started filming him, proto. "He'd just gotten off the plane and everything," says Singer. "He was a total trooper about it.

As Lex, Singer says Spacey is "Very thoughtful about it" and cares a lot about creating his own version of the character. Kate Bosworth, who stars as Lois Lane, and who co-starred with Spacey in Beyond the Sea, says his philosophy about playing a character that's been played by other actors is: "You should just know the heart and soul of the character. You take it and make it your own and that's what the defines the character now. It's what you do now."

For Lex, style, of course, is key. He has his "pimp" look, says production designer Guy Dyas. He has his "safari/hunting" look, says costume designer Louise Mingenbach. However, what Spacey made his own was Lex's hairstyle, or lack thereof. No curly wig, a-la Gene Hackman. Spacey went for the chrome dome. "He shaved it off," says Singer. "Which was, I'll tell you, very strange."

"He never wears that curly wig," says Dyas. The original script had a line that referred to a curly wig. "Bryan was concerned that if we went too comical with Lex it would take away all of the fear of his character. The idea that he was going to be sort of a clown dressed up in a curly wig, and do the whole campy Gene Hackman thing, didn't work for Bryan at all. [Spacey's decision to go bald was] a great decision. He's a very scary individual. He plays the role so beautifully, it's incredible. He's chilling on screen."

The first time Singer saw Spacey as Lex Luthor, "I completely didn't recognize him. I was walking towards my trailer in the park, and I'm looking this guy staring at me standing by a tree. I thought he was a crewmember, someone I'd never seen before. I keep walking and he's staring me at me all the way and I'm like, 'AHHH!' It was him!"

Now, you might ask, what sort of malevolence is Lex devising to bring down Superman?
Without delving into spoiler material, one thing we can tell you is: Lex sort of… kind of... perhaps maybe wants a piece of that valuable Kryptonian crystal he's been hearing about. To that end, he puts together a team. Kal Penn, (who plays Lex's go-to computer guy, Stanford) will only say, there's "five of them. It's sort of a unit. There's inner workings here and there, but I won't say." However, to keep you on your toes, Parker Posey (who plays Lex's gal-pal Killy) says, Lex is "someone who can go under disguise and be anyone he wants to be."

Lex will incite trouble, and lots of it. "There will be no lack of intensity," says Singer."It'll probably be PG 13. I don't think you'll be disappointed at all in the level of intensity."

Like say a paramedic, or a truck driver?

Glad to see he won't be wearing a wig. I hope he plays it nice and mean.

DocLathropBrown said:
I think Gene Hackman's Luthor in I and II (Don't count IV, for the love of God) was fantastic. Brilliant mind used for evil. And his sense of humor was very wry. I don't think Hackman's performance was bad at all. However, Spacey's going a step further and going to do Hackman's Luthor but much darker. We know from various sources that Luthor in SR has a wry, twisted sense of humor, like Hackman's, and for that, I am glad.

Funny how people see Hackman's performance as campy. In IV, yes. Otherwise, I never found it campy. Campy would be playing it straight though he's an idiot or truly goofy, like Adam West's Batman. But Gene's Lex was playing it straight to the morons around him. Hackman gave us a very twisted and cunning villain, and I think people tend to forget that.

Looking at him in the first film, especially his scenes alone with Reeve were very well played, and I found him genuinely cunning and imposing, in a way.

:up: :up: :up:

Also, everybody who thinks there will be NO wigs should watch the blog titled "Bespoke" again. He will wear wigs and disguises, they just won't be the goofy curly wig.

Showtime029 said:

Good, I thought maybe it was only me that didn't like that.

Metropolis_Man said:
Good, I thought maybe it was only me that didn't like that.

It's awful. If I see a scene like that in Returns I am going to run out of the theater.

MatchesMalone said:
:up: :up: :up:

Also, everybody who thinks there will be NO wigs should watch the blog titled "Bespoke" again. He will wear wigs and disguises, they just won't be the goofy curly wig.

He won't wear a wig out of vanity, that's the difference.

Showtime029 said:
It's awful. If I see a scene like that in Returns I am going to run out of the theater.

No offense, but that'll mean another seat for someone who'll appreciate it. I see nothing wrong with that scene, and I'm nineteen.

I heard he really had hair, but was wearing different bald wigs?

DocLathropBrown said:
No offense, but that'll mean another seat for someone who'll appreciate it. I see nothing wrong with that scene, and I'm nineteen.

Oh no, it has nothing to do with age I don't think. Of course I wouldn't really run out of the theater, I will piss my pants just stay there if I have to. Just like I did with Batman Begins...:O

I don't think there is anything wrong with the flying scene itself. I think it's great up until the little poem starts. Just didn't work for me. :(

The scene is just too corny. I mean, chick just meets him, and isn't just infactuated or intrigued with him...but she's saying she loves him. And everything about the scene seems so phony... it just doesn't seem genuine. But it tries to make it seem truly genuine, and it feels awkward to watch. Haha, get what I mean?

Showtime029 said:
I don't think there is anything wrong with the flying scene itself. I think it's great up until the little poem starts. Just didn't work for me. :(

Nothing wrong with poetry. But if she'd said it out-loud to him, that wouldn't have been very good at all.

Not to mention Margot Kidder is ass ugly, and why would a Superman want to date a fugly chick like that? lol

DocLathropBrown said:
Nothing wrong with poetry. But if she'd said it out-loud to him, that wouldn't have been very good at all.
Dude, it's his opinion. Respect it, and don't try to change his mind. It obviously didn't sit well with him, as well with a few others here.

Whack Arnolds said:
The scene is just too corny. I mean, chick just meets him, and isn't just infactuated or intrigued with him...but she's saying she loves him. And everything about the scene seems so phony... it just doesn't seem genuine. But it tries to make it seem truly genuine, and it feels awkward to watch. Haha, get what I mean?

People with experience will tell you.... that's what love is. Sometimes, a love is so powerful that it starts the moment you meet someone. And besides, wouldn't you be mystified if the guy saved your life and had the power to take over the world? Nothing corny about it.

Frankly, if it's corny, than so is love.

Whack Arnolds said:
Dude, it's his opinion. Respect it, and don't try to change his mind. It obviously didn't sit well with him, as well with a few others here.

Who said I wasn't respecting his opinion? I respectfully disagree. Nor am I trying to change his mind, I know that never works, nor do I care, either. Can't a guy just state why he disagrees?

Oldguy said:
He won't wear a wig out of vanity, that's the difference.

Too true.

And, one of the few times I have heard you defend an aspect of this film.

Oldguy, you bring tears to my eye. No, wait, that's the ether.

I think it is very corny. I don't like that part at all. It follows a great scene between Lois and Superman on the roof. Great dialogue and great chemistry. Then they take of for a spin, still very good. Then the Lois thought process starts and I am just over it.

I just forward the rest of the scene now, I just can't watch it.

Showtime029 said:
Apparently I can't say anything, because I just got flamed for about 3 pages by Oldguy for supposedly misrepresenting your opinion in the casting post, even though you knew it was all in good fun.

That being said, there are alot of people that have huge issues with the Superman movies. I didn't at the time, but now watch them and cringe at some scenes.

crying_baby.gif

My hatred of Superman Movies, in order of appearance.
1) Marlon Brando refering to his home as the planet Cripten.
2) Young Clark Kent running next to the train.
3) The ****ing sky poem.
4) Otis, although I do enjoy seeing him abused so I guess he serves a purpose.
5) Hackman's vanity wig.
6) Superman giving up his powers.
7) Superman holding up a layer of frozen lake by the edge.
8) The entire Quest for Peace.

DocLathropBrown said:
People with experience will tell you.... that's what love is. Sometimes, a love is so powerful that it starts the moment you meet someone. And besides, wouldn't you be mystified if the guy saved your life and had the power to take over the world? Nothing corny about it.

Frankly, if it's corny, than so is love.

I agree love is corny, and I know there is a metaphor to be found somewhere in that scene, but I just don't feel like it fits.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"