Superman Returns Lex Luthor Hype!

Keyser Soze

AW YEEEAH!
Reaction score
Hello everyone! I don't know whether or not I'm in the majority, but Lex Luthor is what is making me most excited about seeing "Superman Returns" next year. Luthor is one of the greatest villains in comics, and in this movie he is being played by Kevin Spacey, one of the greatest actors working today.

But in these boards, there hardly seems to be any talk on Luthor. Discussion is mainly about the costume, or Brandon Routh, or the hunt for new pictures. But on the rare occasion that a Lex Luthor thread does pop up, there tends to be some really interesting conversation there. So there must be other people out there wanting to talk about Luthor. Perhaps what is needed is a thread specifically created for general discussion of the character.

I tried this a couple of years ago with "Doctor Octopus Hype", which was a great success over in the Spider-Man 2 boards. So let's see if we can do the same for Lex Luthor. In this thread, feel free to discuss all aspects of Lex Luthor:

- What you want to see him say and do in the film
- Comic arcs with Luthor you like
- Past appearances of the character in film an TV
- Kevin Spacey - past performances, what he'll bring to the role

And of course, any images of Luthor are welcome. Hopefully, this thread will evolve into a comprehensive account of the development of Lex Luthor as we approach the release of "Superman Returns". I'll start things off with a picture and some quotes. Any comments?

LexLuthor.jpg

'Romans built the roads. Persians built the ships. Americans built the atom bomb.'

'The Gods are selfish beings who fly around in red capes and don't share their power with mankind.'

My opinion is Lex should be killed off and we get a new villian emerge.

I don't want to see Luthor in another Superman film after Returns.

It gets repetitive...

very repetitive.

I don't want Lex Luthor to be the main bad guy in the Superman films but always be there like Magneto has been in the X-Men films so far. But I have to say I am a fan of Spacey and I think he is going to own this role..he is a very talented man. I am glad to see he isn't one of these celebrities that looks down on comic book films.

I like to see muscles killed off ;)

Have I told everyone how much I love you guys, you guys remind me of my own personnel orko.:)

I think Lex Luthor is in good hands. Spacey should have the capability to play a Luthor that you like, until he does something so evil it surprises you.

I think what we're gonna get is a classic performance by Spacey as Lex Luthor. I know a lot of people are worried about a campy Lex, but nothing has indicated a campy Lex. Every promo pic has shown him to look dead serious, bald and sinister. Usually promo pics are used to give you an idea of how the film will be, so...

Singer's Lex is springboard from Donner's, yet it looks Singer's will be more captivating, and in fact more in line with the Lex of the comics, both past and present. Just look at those lines from premiere, they're very reminiscent of Lex Luthor Man of Steel.

It's interesting. Lex considers himself Prometheus, who was a titan. Titans were greater than the gods, and in Lex's eyes Superman is a god. So although he's calling Superman selfish he still sees himself as being greater than Superman and the world. Full blown Lex arrogance.

Prometheus stole fire from the gods and gave it to the world, since the gods were too selfish to do it. Could that be an allusion to Lex stealing Superman's kryptonian technology?

Another thing: remember, the titans existed before the gods. I wonder if this an illusion of Lex being the great criminal mind of the world, essentially ruling it until Superman debuted and became its savior, "ruling it". As much as this is man vs demigod, mind vs muscle, it also looks to be titan vs god.

Those are my thoughts. It looks like will be very fleshed out and we'll see why he is the DC Comics' greatest villain.

I don't understand the people who say they want to see Lex Luthor killed off, or they don't want him to appear in any more films. The fact is, apart from Superman himself (and MAYBE Lois), Lex Luthor is the most important character in the Superman mythos. A movie just wouldn't be the same without him.

I agree, after this film we should let a new villain take centre stage, but Lex Luthor should always be a presence, just as he is in the comics.

The Sage said:
It's interesting. Lex considers himself Prometheus, who was a titan. Titans were greater than the gods, and in Lex's eyes Superman is a god. So although he's calling Superman selfish he still sees himself as being greater than Superman and the world. Full blown Lex arrogance.

Good to see I am not the only one who noticed that :up:

Keyser Soze said:
I don't understand the people who say they want to see Lex Luthor killed off, or they don't want him to appear in any more films. The fact is, apart from Superman himself (and MAYBE Lois), Lex Luthor is the most important character in the Superman mythos. A movie just wouldn't be the same without him.

I agree, after this film we should let a new villain take centre stage, but Lex Luthor should always be a presence, just as he is in the comics.

Damn straight...you can't have good without evil

What is the old proverb? Without the devil, God woulld have nothing to do...or something like that...

Keyser Soze said:

People don't want him because he has appeared as the villian 3 superman movies and is exposed enpugh in the comics and Cartoon. It also stops other great villains from getting a chance in the franchise.

Another thing is logic. Luthro cannot get out of jail anymore.It's to unrealistic for my taste.

So you want to have the joker in all three Batman movies. (Okay maybe u would) but not everybody.

I don't see Robin in BAtman Begins when Robin is closer than Superman and Lex.

Would Spacey come back for another movie? That really dose not seem like his style to sign a multi movie deal. If we had Spacey for Lex in this movie and another person for Lex in the next that would be bad, so making Lex the main villian in this movie and then moing on to another villian in the next would probably be the best way to go.

Strange said:
Would Spacey come back for another movie? That really dose not seem like his style to sign a multi movie deal. If we had Spacey for Lex in this movie and another person for Lex in the next that would be bad, so making Lex the main villian in this movie and then moing on to another villian in the next would probably be the best way to go.

Oh, I think if Spacey feels he can really develop/own the role he might be up for at least one sequel if not two...the key is to keep the character development on a high note, that would definatley attract a guy like him back to the role.

Superman79 said:
Oh, I think if Spacey feels he can really develop/own the role he might be up for at least one sequel if not two...the key is to keep the character development on a high note, that would definatley attract a guy like him back to the role.

Agreed. Bryan Singer was able to lure Ian McKellan back to the role of Magneto for X2, and he'll be returning in X3. So, if the role is interesting enough, I'm sure Kevin Spacey will be happy to return in sequels.

Keyser Soze said:
Agreed. Bryan Singer was able to lure Ian McKellan back to the role of Magneto for X2, and he'll be returning in X3. So, if the role is interesting enough, I'm sure Kevin Spacey will be happy to return in sequels.

I seriously doubt Ian was "lured" back. He found the role interesting and returned. I hope the same goes with Spacey.

RedIsNotBlue said:
I seriously doubt Ian was "lured" back. He found the role interesting and returned. I hope the same goes with Spacey.

He has been in talks for the role of Brainiac or Lex since 93....I think he would make the time, again. :up: Great Thread BTW.

LexSlap.jpg

Looks like Lex won't be taking **** from anyone. NICE.

RedIsNotBlue said:

I didn't mean anything by "lure". I was merely implying that he returned to the role because he found it interesting, as you said.

On another note, I have just started playing as Lex Luthor in the "One Universe RPG" over on the Misc. Comics boards. The basic premise is creating a continuity that includes both the Marvel and DC universes, existing in the same world. So, we are pretty much starting from scratch, re-introducing the characters we are playing, and toying with their origins and motivations. Here was my opening post. Tell me what you think:

Keyser Soze said:
Lex Luthor: King of Metropolis. Luthor smiled at the recollection of the headline. It had been many years now since the Daily Planet had published it in big, bold letters on their front page, but Luthor still remembered how he’d felt when he saw it. He had thought to himself, I’ve finally done it, now I can die happy.

Well, that’s what he’d thought for all of five minutes.

The thing that Lex Luthor soon learned about success was that you could never have enough of it. It was like a drug – you always needed more. And after that first high, what you did get was never quite enough. Yes, he was King of Metropolis. But why settle for that? Why rule a city, when you could take control of America, conquer the world? Until the day he had done that, climbed to the very pinnacle of human achievement, the highest peak of success and power, Lex Luthor could never again say that, finally, he had “done it”, that he could “die happy”.

But for now, he was King of Metropolis. He stood in his office on the top floor of Lexcorp Towers, looking out the full-length window, down at his kingdom. He had spent many silent hours standing at this spot, just watching. He loved the sense of power he felt, looking down on this great city, knowing that nobody else could see its glory better than him. Every time he looked out this window, he had been able to remind himself that he was the most powerful man in the world. Not anymore.

“Superman….”

Lex Luthor fists clenched as he held them behind his back. As high above the ground as he was right now, Superman could fly higher. Lex Luthor could build all the state-of-the-art fighter planes he wanted: Superman didn’t even need them to fly through the air, to reach the heavens. Lex Luthor could indeed aspire to reach the pinnacle of human achievement, but Superman was more than human, more than Luthor could ever be…

No.

Luthor kept his thoughts in check. This was not about envy. What was there to be jealous about? Superman was stronger than any man, but in this modern age, that had little to do with true power. Power was being able to buy anything you wanted, limited only by how much you wanted it. Power was having a multi-national corporation named after you. Power was being able to commit any crime, break any law, and never be punished, or even questioned, because of your status, because you had 100 people waiting to take the fall for you. Power was what Lex Luthor had.

So no, this was not about envy. This was about Superman himself. The fact was that, despite what he called himself, he was not a man. He was not one of us. He was something else. Luthor had spoken the truth earlier. All it would take was a change of heart, and Superman would become the most dangerous threat Metropolis had ever faced. With his monumental, potentially terrifying power, Superman truly could conquer the world. Superman was part of a disturbing trend Luthor had noticed emerging in recent times. There was this mysterious “Bat-Man” in Gotham City, and a cascade of costumed vigilantes springing up in New York City. That was one of the motivating factors behind his merger with Fisk – he needed eyes in the Big Apple.

But even amongst all these “heroes”, the worst was Superman. He had the audacity, the gall, to appear in this very office and confront Lex Luthor!? Who did he think he was? Luthor recalled the anger he had felt, being questioned as if he was some little boy caught stealing from the cookie jar. But the fact was that Superman had no evidence to back up his accusations. Luthor had proved that, in spite of this freak’s so-called power, he was still no match for Lex Luthor.

But that did nothing to quell Luthor’s growing hatred for Superman. Luthor hated how Superman could just fall out of the sky, appear out of nowhere, and already be viewed as a saviour all over the world. Luthor had worked, fought, lied, cheated and stolen his whole life to get where he was today. He had climbed from the very bottom, risen through the ranks to become the man who he was today. He had no need for superpowers – he had earned his position. But this “Superman”, he’d had it all given to him on a silver platter! He had no intelligence, no ambition, not like Lex. All he needed to do was fly around and smash some things, and the people of Metropolis loved him. Metropolis belonged to Lex Luthor! How dare he try to dethrone the King of Metropolis?

How dare he!?

“Mr. Luthor, sir?”

The buzz from the intercom stirred Luthor from his meditation. Walking back to his desk, Luthor picked up the phone.

“Yes, Diane?”

“Mr. Luthor, you have received an invitation to a party, being hosted by Oliver Queen.”

Oliver Queen? Luthor almost laughed down the receiver. Queen was small-time; for him to even presume to invite Lex Luthor to one of his little shindigs was an insult. But Luthor reminded himself that Queen had been making a name for himself recently, and if he was throwing a party, odds were that the likes of Wilson Fisk and Bruce Wayne would be attending. Luthor needed to show face. It would be good for publicity.

“Diane, send notice to Mr. Queen that I would love to attend his party,” replied Luthor, “And have my Lear Jet prepared for departure to Star City.”

Luthor hung up the phone before Diane could reply. He paced across his office, walking back up to the window and looking out. Remembering what Superman had said, Lex Luthor looked up into the blue skies that even the peak of Lexcorp Towers could not reach. No sign of Superman. And that was where Superman was inferior to Luthor. As fast as he was, Superman could only be one place at once. But Luthor was everywhere, his influence felt all over the world. But most of all, Lex Luthor held power over Metropolis, this city…

“…My city.”

I've been into Batman for a long time now, and in recent months have began following DC in general. But I haven't really bought much in the way of Superman comics, as Lex Luthor is the only character who really interests me. But since I'm playing as Luthor now in this RPG, I need to do some research on the character. I was thinking of getting "Lex Luthor: Man Of Steel". Would you guys recommend it?

^yes it's one of my favortes from the past year

And for getting Spacey back...lets not forget that deep down every man is a big kid (look at the "Spacey poking the \S/ just to freak out Singer" article)

I would say the kid in him would have him doing at least two more Super-films. That and think of how cool it would be to be immortalized on film (more than once) as one of the greatest villians in the world not to mention as part of the history of the greatest hero in the world...That will certainly play into it i'm sure...

Keyser Soze said:
I didn't mean anything by "lure". I was merely implying that he returned to the role because he found it interesting, as you said.

On another note, I have just started playing as Lex Luthor in the "One Universe RPG" over on the Misc. Comics boards. The basic premise is creating a continuity that includes both the Marvel and DC universes, existing in the same world. So, we are pretty much starting from scratch, re-introducing the characters we are playing, and toying with their origins and motivations. Here was my opening post. Tell me what you think:

I've been into Batman for a long time now, and in recent months have began following DC in general. But I haven't really bought much in the way of Superman comics, as Lex Luthor is the only character who really interests me. But since I'm playing as Luthor now in this RPG, I need to do some research on the character. I was thinking of getting "Lex Luthor: Man Of Steel". Would you guys recommend it?

I'd highly recommend it, especially after reading those Lex quotes from Premiere magazine.

Keyser Soze said:

You wrote that?! :eek:

Ya that was pretty much one of the sweetest things about Luthor I've seen...very true to the character.

Keyser Soze said:
I was thinking of getting "Lex Luthor: Man Of Steel". Would you guys recommend it?
The best mini-series of the year, IMO. :o

I think a lot of the reason why people were not really talking about Lex is because they knew that Spacey could pull it off without a hitch. Well that was my opinion I really can't speak for everyone else. Spacey has already proven himself on the big screen. Routh is relatively new and the new guy is always going to face opposition. I personally wanted to see Welling in the role but I understand Singers reasons. I think the movie will be good because Singer has proven himself as an excellent director. Spacey will command respect as Luthor just as Rosenbaum on Smallville.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"