New Lord of the Rings movies in the works

He's producing, not directing. As far as I know.
Deadline says he is. Maybe they're wrong or meant to say producing, but that's what they wrote.

First Of New Lord Of The Rings Films To Be Released In 2026, Says WBD CEO David Zaslav

Zaslav revealed last year that Warner. Bros. Pictures, led by Pam Abdy and Mike De Luca, will be revisiting the Lord of the Rings with new films based on the beloved books by J.R.R. Tolkien that became a highly lucrative cinematic franchise helmed by Peter Jackson. He will be directing the new films with longtime collaborators Fran Walsh and Philippa Boyens. It’s repped a major piece of business for the studio with Jackson’s previous six LOTR films grossing about $6 billion worldwide — roughly $3 billion for each trilogy.

Much better.

And yeah, knowing the Appendices, I think this'll be based off the story after Gollum's escape from Sauron's clutches and his subsequent run-in with Aragorn and Gandalf (hence how Gandalf found out about Gollum ratting out the Shire to Sauron). Not sure if Ian and Viggo will be back too for this but we'll see.

Well, when you put it that way, and for a character that Serkis knows as intimately as Gollum...

tumblr_mtos6c4OUH1sgwppao1_500.gif

I'm honestly very excited for this. Some people on twitter are saying it's a creatively bankrupt move, but personally, having Andy serkis play the character AND direct? It couldn't be in better hands.

I'll be excited once I see how it looks, lets hope it doesn't look like some shiny CGI mess.

Interestingly, The Hunt for Gollum was also a fan film from 15 years ago.

Not that they had much legal ground to stand on in the first place with it being a fan film, but it's interesting that even the title is the same.

They should do it Christopher Guest style and call it Waiting For Gollum and it’s just characters standing around talking about him but he never actually shows up. I’d watch.

I'm honestly very excited for this. Some people on twitter are saying it's a creatively bankrupt move, but personally, having Andy serkis play the character AND direct? It couldn't be in better hands.
They're only saying that bcause of that crappy game from last year.

They're only saying that bcause of that crappy game from last year.
I think it's that, but also them always claiming hollywood is out of ideas. I mean, we get original films often, it's just some people just don't go see them.

I agree. This to me sounds like a right move. I'm just not a fan of these spinoffs having a "Lord of the Rings: (Spinoff)" title, and that also goes for The Rings of Power and War of the Rohirrim. It'd be like every Star Wars spinoff being called "The Empire Strikes Back: Rogue One" or "The Empire Strikes Back: The Mandalorian". The Lord of the Rings is a key part in the Middle Earth franchise but it's still just one part of it. It doesn't make sense to use LOTR as an overall franchise title just because of brand recognition.

I agree. This to me sounds like a right move. I'm just not a fan of these spinoffs having a "Lord of the Rings: (Spinoff)" title, and that also goes for The Rings of Power and War of the Rohirrim. It'd be like every Star Wars spinoff being called "The Empire Strikes Back: Rogue One" or "The Empire Strikes Back: The Mandalorian". The Lord of the Rings is a key part in the Middle Earth franchise but it's still just one part of it. It doesn't make sense to use LOTR as an overall franchise title just because of brand recognition.
I agree. I honestly hope they just title it The Hunt For Gollum, but I do expect that title to possibly change over time. The fact that Serkis is basically in control of the whole thing gives me a ton of confidence in it.

I wonder will they base it on that Gollum game from last year :o

What are the odds Aragorn shows up in this? I can't imagine them wanting to de-age Viggo. At the same time, I'm fairly certain they wouldn't want to recast either.

Last edited:
What are the odds they show Gollum eating babies?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kimcity
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"