New Snyder interview by Wizard

ToddIsDead

Superhero
Reaction score
THE CONQUERING HERO
After slaying the box office with the shocking, record-setting success of '300,' director Zack Snyder carves out his next project with 'Watchmen' and... a '300' sequel?

By Mike Cotton
Posted June 18, 2007 1:45 PM

As Zack Snyder tools around Los Angeles and Pasadena these days, speeding down the Hollywood highways, he doesn’t have to look far to remind himself of the incredible, mind-blowing success of his Spartan epic, “300,” based on Frank Miller’s acclaimed 1998 Dark Horse miniseries.

It’s right there at his fingertips.

“The studio bought me an Aston Martin,” Snyder says almost sheepishly about the car made famous by the James Bond flicks, “which was really nice of them.”

Those are the perks that come when you craft a film that takes the whole industry by storm, rocketing out of the gate to a jaw-dropping, March record-setting $70.9 million opening weekend en route to an over $200 million domestic take…and counting.

Now the world has changed for Snyder, way beyond just his gym buddies being impressed with him as that guy who “went to Montreal and made that insane movie”—“300” has propelled to the front of the conversation when it comes to discussing the greatest comic book films ever made, joining “Spider-Man,” the original “Superman” and Miller’s “Sin City.” But “300” vindicated Snyder’s vision as well, a vision that began with his unrelenting remake of the George Romero classic “Dawn of the Dead.” In fact, Snyder admitted he would’ve considered “300” a success if it approached “Dawn’s” $27 million opening weekend. Instead, Snyder’s vision resulted in the shocking success of a film that many thought was too niche and violent for mainstream audiences.

Snyder proved that an R-rated action film can translate into big box office—the Green Bay, Wis. native insists on only making restricted, adult-oriented films, and he refused to budge when Warner Bros. wanted “300” softened for a more family-friendly PG-13 rating. “90 percent of my budget restraints [on the $60-million production] came from the R rating,” Snyder explains.

The 41-year-old director demonstrated he didn’t need a household name to carry the project, that an unknown actor like Gerard Butler (Spartan King Leonidas) could capture the audience’s imagination in the right vehicle. Snyder also remained steadfast that, because of the great source material, “300” could score big with audiences despite the lackluster efforts of previous sword-and-sandals epics such as “Kingdom of Heaven” and “Alexander.”

Now, the world is wide open for Snyder, as he gears up for the beginning of production of “Watchmen” in September, based on writer Alan Moore and artist Dave Gibbons’ 12-issue, mature DC Comics series that deconstructed the superhero comic genre. The arguments about “Watchmen” being rated R, about how a multilayered series can work on the big screen, about Snyder having a free hand with the creative vision…well, you can count on Snyder flexing a little more muscle when it comes to those conversations. Or as one successful Hollywood director puts it after seeing “300’s” opening numbers, “Warners will let Snyder do what whatever the f--- he wants now.” (“It’s not as true as you would think,” counters Snyder.)

For a few precious moments, Snyder gets to bask in the afterglow of the classic “300” he created, before he dives headlong into “Watchmen,” a film that’s been in and out of development for over a decade. He carries the oversized Absolute Edition of the series with him wherever he goes, redrawing the graphic novel frame by frame as he works out how the movie will look and be shot. It’s his new all-consuming passion, and the creation of it absorbs all his waking moments.

That is, when Warner Bros. isn’t calling to ask him an expected question.

“There is pressure to do a sequel to ‘300’,” sighs Snyder. “Personally, I don’t know that I have an idea in my head as to what to do with that. Frank would have to write it and I would have to think it was a good idea and I would have to know what I’m doing next. People have asked me if there was a sequel to ‘Dawn of the Dead’ and I said, ‘Well, if you know anything about what happens to the Spartans, maybe there is a way to combine the two movies.”

Then he adds with a laugh: “Like, ‘Tonight we dine on brains’ and the Spartans rise from the dead.”

WIZARD: Exactly how much did the success of “300” help get “Watchmen” going?

SNYDER: On one hand [Warner Bros. is] like, “Oh my God, your movie was awesome. It’s about to gross $200 million domestic. It’s a freak show.” On the other hand they’re like, “Oh, wait. You did ‘300?’ I remember that movie. That was cool. That was good. It was all right and it did okay.” They have selective memory when it comes to these things.

Because of your success, do you have more latitude now in “Watchmen’s” rating, the level of violence, the budget or even setting it in the ’80s?

“Watchmen” is going to be R-rated and when you make an R-rated movie it has the potential for failure, or the potential for failure is higher. It’s difficult for them to get a handle on why the movie would be cool when the superheroes are flawed. It’s an indictment of American foreign policy and authority in general. [With] all of the crazy themes in Watchmen, [they wonder] why that’s even good or something people would want to see. I don’t know. I still say [“300” is] like a student film on steroids. We shot that movie in a freaking warehouse in Montreal. It was hard and no one thought the movie was anything. When people talk about “Watchmen” like, “Oh, Snyder has a free hand with ‘Watchmen,’” that’s just not the case.

When you were working on “300,” there was a lot of talk about the violence, making it rated R, the source material not being that well known. Was it personally gratifying to not only make it all work, but to make it a hit?

It’s funny because I’ve been asked whether we expected it to be such a big hit. I had hoped it would make as much money on its opening weekend as “Dawn” did. “Dawn” did pretty well. I think it made $27 million that opening weekend. We considered that pretty successful for our little zombie flick. That was the hope [for “300”] and then to have it just blow up like it did was really surprising and exciting.

Was there something that stood out for you that was the most personally gratifying about how well it did?

To me, the thing it told me was that if you make a movie that doesn’t compromise, it really does say to an audience that there is a reason to go to the movies. That’s what we tried to do. To me it was all about saying, “Hey, this is a reason to go to the movies. I know you all have 50-inch plasmas at home. I know if you want you can just stay home and have a great cinematic experience.” In my way of thinking we’re trying to do something even bigger than that. We’re trying to take you to a place you haven’t been to before.

What did you make of the political fallout of the movie? Some liberals accused the film of warmongering and Iran was upset because of the way Persians were represented.

I don’t know. I’ve said it a hundred times: It wasn’t our intention. We didn’t mean to offend anyone. I have apologized to the Iranian people if they felt any offense to the film.

Did you see any of that coming?

Honestly, I didn’t. My impression was that ancient Persia was 2,500 years ago, [this is] a stylized film and that everyone would get that it was just a movie. People were like, “Why did you make Xerxes look like that?” I said, “Well, I went with what Frank said.” I think sometimes people read more into things that aren’t there.

It seems the political reaction to it was more surprising than the box office.

Yeah, and it’s funny because there are a lot of misconceptions now about me. Look, I’m not Jewish. People think I am, and they’re like, “‘300’ is a Jewish conspiracy. I can see Snyder consulting with the Jewish mafia to make this movie anti-Persian.”

Was the R rating a big factor for Warner Bros.?

90 percent of my budget came from the R rating. I mean, my budget restraints. They were like, “‘First of all, obscure graphic novel.” When we said we wanted to make 300, that it was an obscure Frank Miller book, they said, “Okay, Frank Miller we know. But 300, we don’t know what that is.” Then they said, “Okay, but at least you’re going to have a movie star in the movie, right? I mean, please…” I was like, “Well, no. We’re not going to have a movie star.” They said, “Okay, well at least it can be rated PG-13 so that we can market it and try to sell it, right?” “No, it’s going to be R.” They were just like, “What are you doing here? You’re killing us!”

When you saw “300” was a big hit, what was your first conversation with Frank Miller like?

You know, I think between Frank and I it’s all about…it’s not that we knew, but it’s a nice indication to share his vision, at least for me anyway. That is a nice thing to be able to do and have, to be able to say, “You know what, the way we’ve approached and executed it has made it worthwhile in a way.”

Now Frank says he hopes this is the last time another filmmaker directs a script based on his comics…

Listen, as far as I’m concerned, if Frank ever wrote a sequel and said, “You know what would be cool? If Zack [directed] it.” That would be really an honor. As far as I’m concerned, Frank has created these incredible works, and if I were Frank, and I had directed a movie, I would say the same thing he is. I would be like, “What do you mean? I’m going to just pawn my freaking awesome things off on other directors? I don’t think so.”

What made you sneak the Rorschach image into the “300” trailer?

That image is the kind of thing where I said, “Let’s just see if people see it. It’ll be fun if people find it.” I had a $100 bet with my wife that people were going to find it right away, and she said, “No one is going to find it.”

Did Warner Bros. know it was in there?

No, they did not.

Was there any fallout?

Were they mad? They weren’t mad. I think any news is good news for them. If people are going to talk about it, then it’s good for them.

After the studio pretty much gave you free reign on “300,” do you expect much of their involvement on “Watch-men?” It seems like all eyes are going be on you now as the new “it” guy.

In some ways I had a free hand with “300.” They didn’t really mess with me, but they just didn’t give me any money. It’s the same thing with “Watchmen.” I think in the end they’ll let me do what I want, but what it’s going to come down to how much they’ll spend. People think, “Oh, they’re just going to let him do whatever he wants.” Look, “300” is going to make almost $400 million worldwide and who knows where it’ll end up? It hasn’t even opened in Japan yet, and there is a chance the Japanese will like the movie. I don’t know. I feel the DVD will be successful, too because “300” is a movie people will see repeatedly, and to me that translates into people buying the disc rather than renting it. Maybe I’m crazy though, but I think that’s the type of potential it has. Who knows though?

It seems like the success of “300” would lead everyone to believe that a “Watchmen” movie can work…

My point is when it comes to “Watchmen” and how much money we’re going to get, you have to ask what the appetite is for an R-rated movie as far as the budget goes. With “Watchmen,” from a marketing standpoint and as a filmmaker—the movie and the marketing are the same thing to me—I think, “Okay, what shots are going to be in the trailer? What images can tell people to come to see the movie?” If you don’t look at your movie that way, you’re naïve to the process. Unless you don’t care at all about success and you just say, “You know what? I’m making an art film. If no one goes and sees it then f--- them! I don’t care.” On the other hand, if you ever want to make another movie, then you’re in trouble if you don’t look at it from the standpoint of, “What are the images I need here?” Dr. Manhattan walking through Vietnam 200 feet tall, the Comedian riding with the 50-caliber rifle and shooting at the Viet Cong and burning out the village…

Those images seem pretty compelling for a teaser trailer.

Those images are going to be like, “What the f---?” Or you have Rorschach being taken down by the SWAT cops—that’s a cool sequence. There are a hundred of those types of things, but…not only are they superhero images, but they’re also images that challenge you in the same way the movie will. In a marketing way, it’s something that challenges you in terms of everything that you think a superhero is, but in a cool way it’s still spectacle and moving. When you see the trailer for “Watchmen” you go, “Holy sh--! That’s insane. I have to see that.” That to me is something I believe “Watchmen” has, that potential. It’s just about how much the studio is willing to risk on that—or well, I think they believe that.

Would you be interested in going back to the horror genre or are you going to mix it up?

We have that “Army of the Dead” movie we’re developing, and I think that can be fun. So I do have an interest in that. I think those movies have enormous potential. They’re great fun. So yeah, I think horror is certainly a cool genre. I happen to be a little bit more of an action geek. I tend to go more toward that direction with my personal tastes, toward some big, crazy, never-before-seen action thing.

After “300” and “Watchmen,” is there a third comic book or graphic novel property you’d like to make into a film to complete your comic book movie trilogy?

You know, there isn’t really. I look at it more in terms of the authors than I do the books. If people look at basically what I’ve done so far it’s been George Romero, Frank Miller and Alan Moore, which is pretty crazy. I think I’m going to need to rest.

http://www.wizarduniverse.com/movies/other/004754626.cfm

I have complete faith in Snyder to adapt Watchmen into a great film :up:

Me to. Sounds like the producers are warming up to his vision and the rating.

I'm still a little worried about the ending...
It sounds like someone knows something or is that an older draft people are refering to when they speak about NiteOwl finishing off Veidt and Dr Manhattan causing the death of the 3 million new yorkers? :huh:

Rust, after reading this interview, I really can't see Snyder making wholesale changes to Watchmen. He gets it. He understands it. So whatever scripts are out there, I don't know that they're going to end up being the real deal. And I just get this feeling like Snyder isn't going to let this one get screwed up because of studio interference.

Yeah, I hope he makes them realize that you can't change the big plots in Watchmen without changing the entire plot.

Snyder goes with his gut, and lucky for us, he's got a good one.

I always thought about him as one of us (I mean fans), who got a green light in Hollywood to make the movie, which we all have been dreaming about since our childhood :up:

the guys proved himself so far. i hope we get another great film out of it.

Snyder has a long fight to get the book on screen but I'm glad its him fighting for the book vision.

he carries the Absolute Watchmen version around.

now that's my kind of director :up:

Great interview :D.

But.....Gerard Butler WASN'T an unknown, he was already The Phantom, and a few other relativly major roles.

That was a good interview.

I really hope Snyder can do this.

I can think of another director who's so dedicated to staying true to the source material and knows the audience so well.

Snyder is the perfect man for the job. I'm very happy things are moving forward with him at the helm.

I can think of another (sic) director who's so dedicated to staying true to the source material and knows the audience so well.

Snyder is the perfect man for the job. I'm very happy things are moving forward with him at the helm.

Joking, of course.

http://forums.superherohype.com/showthread.php?t=276188&page=2

But as I posted only yesterday, I'll let it slide. :cwink:

I like Zack's Han Shot First T-shirt in that video interview.

D'ya think we could club together and send him a VEIDT DOESN'T F UCKING DIE one for his appearance at Comic Con, huh?

Don't think most movie-goers well accept Veidt simply letting Dan and Laurie go.

Hey it will never be the novel but I wouldn't trust many directors with making this movie. Zak is one of only 3 directors I could trust and I have faith in his vision aswell as his work.

Its impossible to be better then the book but it will just be cool to see it on the screen and Snyder will give us his best effort in staying true to the material. He has to fight a lot of idiots who don't get it out in hollywood. They just want money and Zak and the fans just want justice to be done with Alan Moores work...

for once.

Can't be better than the book.

But, being the best comic book film ever made isn't quite as much to ask for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"