New Team Idea "The Wannabes"

Hellstormer

Side-Kick
Reaction score
Ok I probaly spelled Wannabes wrong but don't worry about that right now. I got an idea for a team a couple days back. What if all the heroes who have taken roles of big name heroes came back and started their own team? During the late 80s and the 90s a lot of heroes had substitutes so how about this for a team?

Eradicator -Superman
Azrael -Batman
(Currently dead but there was never a body so...)
Artemis -Wonder Woman
Guy Gardner -Green Lantern
Dark Flash -Flash
(More of a clone but w/e)
Conner Hawke -Green Arrow

Currently that's all I could think of. I tihnk this would be a good team to introduce during 52 when all these heroes are missing or have them star in a mini where the JLA needs to be taken off planet and they're called in. Of course I could see the problems with Azrael and Dark Flash but its DC they'd have a Retcon punch and everything would be fine. It would be good character interaction between each of them because they were all the greatest heroes at one time not they're barely recognized.

Sounds like the Earth 5 Justice League.

Earth 5 was the one with Jason Rusch, Kyle Rayner and Helena Bertinelli right?

Speaking of Rayner, maybe you could substitute him in Guys place.

Wow... sounds like an idea for the Multiversers...

Purple Man said:
Sounds like the Earth 5 Justice League.

Earth 5 was the one with Jason Rusch, Kyle Rayner and Helena Bertinelli right?

Speaking of Rayner, maybe you could substitute him in Guys place.
See originally I had Stewart, then I had Kyle but both of them had taken the place of GL for an extended time unlike Gardner who had always been pushe din and out of the position. Kyle is my favorite but at his current power skills....

EDIT: Added Conner Hawke

i like the idea, but wouldbe thier goal tho? we already have enough team books as it is, so what would make thier book anymore special then the others?

Just have them come from some alternate Earth. And have the focus be on what the world would be like if those people were the original icons.

Azrael as the original Batman would be wild.
And instead of giving the Earth a Superman, Krypton sent out the Eradicator before being destroyed.
The Guardians choosing someone with imagination instead of fearlessness.

This definitly needs to be done in the Multiversers. Hmm, ideas ideas.

GoldenAgeHero said:
i like the idea, but wouldbe thier goal tho? we already have enough team books as it is, so what would make thier book anymore special then the others?
My original idea involved them being a goverment team incase something would ever happent o the JLA.

Purple Man said:
Just have them come from some alternate Earth. And have the focus be on what the world would be like if those people were the original icons.

Azrael as the original Batman would be wild.
And instead of giving the Earth a Superman, Krypton sent out the Eradicator before being destroyed.
The Guardians choosing someone with imagination instead of fearlessness.

This definitly needs to be done in the Multiversers. Hmm, ideas ideas.

I dig that idea. I would love to see some new stuff from the multiverse.

Hmmm... multiverse would be okay, but I'd be much more interested in a discarded replacements miniseries in the mainstream DCU.

I personally would pit the wannabes at a further distance from their JLA counterparts... almost forgotten characters...

Krypto,
Anarchy,
A new young Themisciran
A "Good" Manhunter,
Lagoonboy,
Arturrs: Sword of Atlantis
Clearly no speedsters... perhaps an impulse clone that has gained independent sentience.
And the Martian Manhunter himself... yeah. I would love that book, I think and I think it fits the word "Wannabes" with the immaturity of it's cast...

As for the origional post, I think that could be interesting, but it would have to be really good for me to want to pick it up, elseworlds or not... I really have no attatchement or interest in any of those characters...

How could a rabid superhuman dog work on a team? Anyway my idea was to have each of the characters that, at one time, were the Earth's greatest heroes,

sounds cool! iam wonderin i know who Azrael is but what comic could u find him in? like when batman got his back broke by bane one.

sounds cool! iam wonderin i know who Azrael is but what comic could u find him in? like when batman got his back broke by bane one.

Hellstormer said:
How could a rabid superhuman dog work on a team? Anyway my idea was to have each of the characters that, at one time, were the Earth's greatest heroes,

Well, Krypto would work the same way he works everywhere else. I haven't read anything about him being rabid, but there's a billion tech and mystical ways to fix that around the DCU.

That said, I like the origional idea as a concept, I do have two concerns.

1) Azrael + Dark Flash
These are 90s stunts, and their characterization has never been very deep at all. If the book is good then it will be the first time these characters are interesting on their own.

2) Guy Gardener
He's not a wannabe... he's simply not. He's every bit as much Green Lantern as anyone... as an honor guard, perhaps moreso. He had a long run with the Justice League so for him to join a wannabe justice League is a step down.

Nightwing would be a better wannabe Batman, imho. And Bart is enough Wannabe Flash for anyone. :) I would suggest bringing in a GL who isn't star quality (yet) ala Jade or G'nort or something.

GL1 said:
Well, Krypto would work the same way he works everywhere else. I haven't read anything about him being rabid, but there's a billion tech and mystical ways to fix that around the DCU.

That said, I like the origional idea as a concept, I do have two concerns.

1) Azrael + Dark Flash
These are 90s stunts, and their characterization has never been very deep at all. If the book is good then it will be the first time these characters are interesting on their own.
You just bagged on my favorite DC character ever:mad: and mocked the only Flash I ever liked.:(

GL1 said:
2) Guy Gardener
He's not a wannabe... he's simply not. He's every bit as much Green Lantern as anyone... as an honor guard, perhaps moreso. He had a long run with the Justice League so for him to join a wannabe justice League is a step down.
Well I was thinking of his yellow ring era when he really was a wannabe.

GL1 said:
Nightwing would be a better wannabe Batman, imho. And Bart is enough Wannabe Flash for anyone. :) I would suggest bringing in a GL who isn't star quality (yet) ala Jade or G'nort or something.
Do you even know Nightwing? He's the guy that has always been crazy about being his "own man" and besides Tim would more likely to be Batman. Anyway those draw away from the theme of heroes that took the place of great heroes for an extended time, no the Prodigal arc doesn't count.

The idea would be good,but were already in a "teenage" Superhero trend.If you came up with this idea for DC 3-4 years ago,then you would have had something.

What about the having this star the new Firestorm and Blue Beetle and having them dealing with them not living up to thier predescors(sp?). Include Kyle Rayner and Bart Allen who also feel like they cannot live up to their namesakes as the leader of the team eventually this would become DC's counterpart to Marvel's upcoming Loners title.

I know I'm biased since he was in the first comic book I've ever read, but Azrael was pretty cool as Batman. He was a shameless nineties stunt, overly intense and brutal, but that was how things went back then.

But despite how cookie cutter he seemed, with his big armor, tons of pockets and bad attitude, it worked for Batman. It took the character to an almost logical extreme. Huge bulletproof armor, the sheer brutality, blades and completely unhinged psyche.

He was the extreme Batman that wasn't Batman. Of course the original would resume the mantle. And the story played out as a sort of way to mock the nineties style characters, showing that the originals were the best despite the hard times they faced as the comic reading audience changed.

And Dark Flash, though I've never read a book with him in it, I will stick up for him because he is a hypertime variant of the regular Wally West. He might be a gimmick, but so is every other super hero ever. And Walter West gave Wally something to reflect on.

cerealkiller182 said:
What about the having this star the new Firestorm and Blue Beetle and having them dealing with them not living up to thier predescors(sp?). Include Kyle Rayner and Bart Allen who also feel like they cannot live up to their namesakes as the leader of the team eventually this would become DC's counterpart to Marvel's upcoming Loners title.

It's bad enough that Ted is dead, we don't need his wannabe running around in our face...

...wait, he is already.

Purple Man said:
And Dark Flash, though I've never read a book with him in it, I will stick up for him because he is a hypertime variant of the regular Wally West. He might be a gimmick, but so is every other super hero ever. And Walter West gave Wally something to reflect on.
He's pretty much a version if What If Wally got screwed over big time. He's a little older, a lot faster, and more creative with his powers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"