The Next Generation Console Thread

Thanks for the info. This really helps me to make my decision between 360 and PS3, and if I can get a bigger HD without spending excess amount, then I'd do it. 360's library is quite impressive, but that isn't the only thing under consideration.

Ya know, it seems like ur pretty split, so here it is, this is how you decide which system to get.....

FLIP A COIN.

IMO, these systems are much more alike than they are different. You cant go wrong with either.

Demos
Video Clips
Music
Downloadable retail games. Im not talking about the small arcade like titles, but the big ones you can find on a BR in the store. This applies to games like Warhawk, Siren, Gran Turismo 5 Prologue, Socom, etc...
Game Installs

All that takes up space and it adds up quickly, especially the last 2

Iv heard this alot, but do you really keep demo's on ur HD? I mean, i dl a demo, play it, if i like it i buy the game then i delete the demo, if i dont like the demo, again i delete the demo, so why keep a demo on ur HD?

So wait, you have no problem spending, what, $15/mo for one MMO, but can't spend less than $4/mo to play ANY XBOX360 game online?

Trust me. It's completely worth it if you play games online.

Frankly with PSN and Xbox Live pretty much being on par now, I do find it rather silly that Microsoft charges for their online service.

Iv heard this alot, but do you really keep demo's on ur HD? I mean, i dl a demo, play it, if i like it i buy the game then i delete the demo, if i dont like the demo, again i delete the demo, so why keep a demo on ur HD?
yeah I tend to keep demos on my system. I recently went through a mass removal of them a few weeks ago but I still have several on my PS3. Why keep it? Bc I have the space (160gb) and its not an issue. If I had one of the 40gbs, then I probably would be a bit more selective

Thanks for the info. This really helps me to make my decision between 360 and PS3, and if I can get a bigger HD without spending excess amount, then I'd do it. 360's library is quite impressive, but that isn't the only thing under consideration.

Really the most important thing that it comes down to is the games. Sure the blu-ray and internet capabilities are nice and all, but gaming is the most important aspect for a console.

I chose the PS3 because I found myself more interested in the games developed by Naughty Dog and Insomniac along with Metal Gear Solid 4, God of War III, and the full Final Fantasy XIII experience. Along with the fact that I can play my PS1 and PS2 games on it as well.

Just what PS3 or 360 games are you interested in? Do you have a bunch of PS1 and PS2 games or Xbox games?

Really the most important thing that it comes down to is the games. Sure the blu-ray and internet capabilities are nice and all, but gaming is the most important aspect for a console.

I chose the PS3 because I found myself more interested in the games developed by Naughty Dog and Insomniac along with Metal Gear Solid 4, God of War III, and the full Final Fantasy XIII experience. Along with the fact that I can play my PS1 and PS2 games on it as well.

Just what PS3 or 360 games are you interested in? Do you have a bunch of PS1 and PS2 games or Xbox games?

I actually only have a few PS2 games left, and no Xbox games. This is why BC isn't an issue for me to consider. The things that I'm considering included the games, online subscription, HD, and overall cost. Oh, and Blu-ray certainly factored in because I'd like to purchase some of this DVD for selected movies (like TDK, for instance).

I actually only have a few PS2 games left, and no Xbox games. This is why BC isn't an issue for me to consider. The things that I'm considering included the games, online subscription, HD, and overall cost. Oh, and Blu-ray certainly factored in because I'd like to purchase some of this DVD for selected movies (like TDK, for instance).

You're really making this hard then.

Games
Overall the games are a matter of opinion. The overwhelming vast majority of third party games will end up on both consoles. The few that are will likely end up being multiplatform as well.

For the Xbox 360, you have Halo 3, Call of Duty 2, Ninja Gaiden II, Gears of War, Dead or Alive 4, Crackdown and games like Halo Wars, Halo Chronicles, Gears of War 2, Infinite Undiscovery, Splinter Cell: Conviction, and Fable 2 in development.

For the Playstation 3 you have Resistance: Fall of Man, Uncharted: Drake's Fortune, Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots, Warhawk, Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction, and games like Final Fantasy Versus XIII, God of War III, Resistance 2, inFamous, LittleBigPlanet, and White Knight Chronicles in development.

And of course there are the multiple games on Xbox Live Arcade (Geometry Wars, Pac-Man: Championship Edition, UNO, Braid, etc.) and Playstation Network (Calling All Cars!, flOw, PixelJunk Eden, etc.) to consider as well.

Of course the die-hard Xbox or Playstation fanboy will tell you that the games on their respective console are the better choice, but it's all a matter of opinion and it's all up to what you personally are interested. Neither console deserves an advantage in this category.

Online Subscription
Right now, Xbox Live and Playstation Network are on par. Xbox Live has Achievement points and Playstation Network has Trophies. Xbox Live has the Xbox Live Marketplace and Playstation Network has the Playstation Store. They both have chat functions, video chat, and instant messaging (Microsoft uses Window Live Messenger in Xbox Live). They both have friend lists. They both have online gameplay.

The only main difference right now is that you have to pay $8.00 a month, $20.00 for three months, or $50.00 a year to have full access to Xbox Live. Playstation Network is completely free. Playstation Network also accepts user generated content while Microsoft does not.

And with the upcomming updates to their services, I gotta give Sony the advantage with this one, Home and Life with Playstation beatout Avatars and Netflix (with Netflix likely ending up on Playstation Network eventually).

However, the Xbox Live Marketplace easily beats the Playstation Store thanks to more content. Both of which are free to access.

HD
Sony takes this one with no debate thanks to the blu-ray capabilties within it. Microsoft offers HD content through the Xbox Live Marketplace, but with the Playstation 3, you don't need an internet connection. Plus they only offer rentals right now.

Cost
This is where Microsoft takes the advantage with Microsoft offering $449.99 for the Xbox 360 Elite, $349.99 for the Xbox 360 Premium (60GB), $299.99 for the Xbox 360 Premium (20GB on clearance), and $279.99 for the Xbox 360 Arcade (which lacks a hard drive). They all offer wireless controllers and a month long trial for Xbox Live. The Elite and Premium models offer headsets and the game Hexic HD. The Arcade model offers an Xbox Live Arcade compilation of popular Xbox Live Arcade games.

Sony offers $399.99 for the 40GB and 80GB Playstation 3s which come with a SIXAXIS controller (40GB) or a DualShock 3 (80GB) and no backwards compatability (meaning that these models suck) and $499.99 for the 80GB Playstation 3 that includes the DualShock 3 controller, backwards compatibility, and Metal Gear Solid 4.

Sony offers $399.99 for the 40GB and 80GB Playstation 3s which come with a SIXAXIS controller and no backwards compatability (meaning that these models suck) and $499.99 for the 80GB Playstation 3 that includes the DualShock 3 controller, backwards compatibility, and Metal Gear Solid 4.
where are you hearing that the new 80gb will have a SIXAXIS? Im pretty sure those have been discontinued in NA and Sony will only be providing DS3s from here on out. The 40gb is the last product that will feature them at least in NA

where are you hearing that the new 80gb will have a SIXAXIS? Im pretty sure those have been discontinued in NA and Sony will only be providing DS3s from here on out. The 40gb is the last product that will feature them at least in NA

Oh. I thought that since the new 80GB model is the same as the 40GB model with only a bigger hard drive, it was going to have the same controller.

Oh. I thought that since the new 80GB model is the same as the 40GB model with only a bigger hard drive, it was going to have the same controller.
The PS3 hardware is the same (with new HDD). The controller should be the DS3 though. I cant see them phasing the SIXAXIS out, only to bring it back with the upcoming model

Thanks Hippie Hunter for the comprehensive comparison between the two console systems. From looking at your list, it seems to me that PS3 wins out in online service (it's free), HD (with blu-ray), and has a comparable library as the 360. But 360 has most packages that offered reasonable cost for me (PS3's cheapest package is $399 for 40GB). If only PS3 can lower their 40GB model, it can make my decision easier.

I haven't made up my mind yet, but thanks for your help.

I own a 360 and PS3 and love them both. I've played a Wii and it was fun but IMO it seems to be aimed towards kids.
I hate my PS3, cause the only games I ever want to buy come out only on the 360 or the Wii

I hate my PS3, cause the only games I ever want to buy come out only on the 360 or the Wii

I can kind of relate to this. Gears of war, halo3, and mass effect come to mind. But usually i find myself buying all the multiplatform games just for 360 because of the achievements, xbox live and i like the 360 controller better. Though im really looking forward to Resistance 2.

So... Wii sucks anymore. I haven't used mine in forever, even the VC is lacking.

I never understand this....Nintendo has taken a back seat with 1st party stuff for the rest of the year. (Other than Animal Crossing and Wario Land)

On the other hand, there are several Quality 3rd party releases on the books for the Wii this year. It's just peoples expectations I guess. I just don't have the strange hang-ups most people do when it comes to games that are due to release. On top of that Wii Ware has some great releases coming out for it. (Strong Bad's Cool Game For Attractive People!)

Other than that, I will be buying a 360 at some point toward the end of the year so I can play the other games I want to. (Mainly SF IV)

What happened with this thread. It suddenly died. And merged without my knowledge :cmad:

I still don't understand the fact that the PS3 has a value to it. Like you can buy one,and it could have less memory than another. I'm not really sure about that,or I could be confusing the X-Box 360 in that sence. I think people are still put off a bit by the PS3's price,I think sales are going up a bit..but not high as Sony hoped.

I wonder if this holiday season will be the boost that Sony wants,because it may be time to pick..and I think Sony will dominate..but it's taking it's time. The PS3 has been out for a reasonable amount of time now,and there should be some headway by this point.

I still don't understand the fact that the PS3 has a value to it. Like you can buy one,and it could have less memory than another. I'm not really sure about that,or I could be confusing the X-Box 360 in that sence. I think people are still put off a bit by the PS3's price,I think sales are going up a bit..but not high as Sony hoped.
I cant beleive the price is still being used against it. The price of the system is $200 less than it originally went for and its comparable to the competition out there on the market

What happened with this thread. It suddenly died. And merged without my knowledge :cmad:

Heh, the merging threw me off too. I noticed the poll had changed, which kinda tossed out the entire point of the thread, posting who we'd think would win and why. The Wii was trailing for a long while in votes, and the 360 was far in the lead, however the Wii is winning, so was neat to see the underdogs in votes actually being right.

I still don't understand the fact that the PS3 has a value to it. Like you can buy one,and it could have less memory than another.... I could be confusing the X-Box 360 in that sence. I think people are still put off a bit by the PS3's price...

As Havok just said, price really has become a non factor. Soon the price difference is going to be ranging from $100 more for the PS3, to the some 360's costing more. Tho the $100 difference is compared to a 360 with a small HD and no BR drive, etc.

As for some PS3's having bigger hard drives than others, the 360 is just as guilty. The 360 has many versions with different processors, hard drive sizes, etc. I'm not faulting either for it as their just doing what the fans asked. They wanted a cheap PS3, so they cut out BC to reach that price, then ppl complained. The 360's fans complained about a 30% failure rate, and the noisy fan, they fix it then fans complain they screwed over the first wave of buyers. Can't please everyone.

Well,I would guess it's still early..so the current price might not scare people away anymore as it did during the PS3's launch.

That's what I don't understand. The drive,with the PS2 there was just nothing to worry about. You bought a console,and that was it. If you wanted to customize..you had to get a memory card and such.

But what's the drive about? More computing power? Do we still need to buy memory cards? If it was up to me,I would get a white or grey. Black has been done already..

sony-playstation-3.jpg

Hard drives are becoming more and more important. PS3 let's developers add installs to the harddrive to cut down on loading times, and the 360 will start doing the same soon if I understand correctly. So let's say you have a 20GB hard drive, and you have 5 games with 4GB installs, that's your entire hard drive there. If you want more you'd have to delete things to fit the next game on. This also doesn't include if you want room for pics, movies (PS store now has a video section as well), demo's, music (PS3 can rip your cd's onto your hard drive), save data, and so on.

I think that's a big reason the 20GB was done away with, no one was buying it as they were buying the 60GB version. Then they upped the 60GB to an 80GB, and came out with a stripped budget version which was the 40GB. They then just decided to do away with the 40GB and just release the 80GB.

Even at that ppl still buy extra hard drives and hook them up to their PS3's because hard drive space can dissapear quick if you're not careful.

I think that's a big reason the 20GB was done away with, no one was buying it as they were buying the 60GB version. Then they upped the 60GB to an 80GB, and came out with a stripped budget version which was the 40GB. They then just decided to do away with the 40GB and just release the 80GB.

Even at that ppl still buy extra hard drives and hook them up to their PS3's because hard drive space can dissapear quick if you're not careful.
The HDD was never the deciding factor in the removal of the 20gb from production. People werent buying the 20gb bc it was a gimped PS3. It was only in production for the first few months of the PS3's life cycle. During that time, HDD space wasnt critical as there wasnt much content on the PSN as far as demos and videos go and there werent any large games to download off of there. Also there were very few games which offered and/or had a mandatory install within those months. It wasnt critical to have a large HDD and users could have gone by fine with just the amount of space offered with that. Aside from HDD space, the 20gb also lacked the flash card readers, chrome trim, and probably the bigger feature, wireless internet. They came out with the 80gb bc it was cheaper to buy 80gb in bulk rather than 60gb. Its the same reason why they are going with that rather than keeping the 40gb in production. HDD space is rather inexpensive now.

And of course as you mentioned, the PS3 has a great feature in that it can be upgraded with almost any laptop HDD as well as be connected to external ones. For this reason, I dont think people should be too hung up on the HDD space. HDD space really shouldnt have been a deciding factor when choosing which PS3 to buy bc this feature made it a moot point. Its the other various features and revisions which should have been the main deciding point but thats a non issue as soon Sony will only offer 1 system

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"