Nier Automata

Woah out of nowhere. I own and played through all of Nier (got all the endings) on the PS3. It was a fun game (action/RPG) with an amazing soundtrack and some unique boss fights. Only real significant issue I had with it really was that the graphics were pretty ugly judged against you know everything else from that generation on PS3 and 360.

The story of Nier and how it was told amazed me. The gameplay underwhelmed me. Imagining a game with the story powers of Nier mixed with the action gameplay of a Platinum title feels like it's too good to be a thing. I wish it were multiplat, though, since I was kind of hoping to not get a PS4, at least not for a long time. Of course, this may not come out for a long time anyway.

The thing with a lot of Platinum Games games is that the player character fairly quickly becomes an uber-powerful wrecking machine...and that wasn't Nier's thing. So I do wonder how it will be approached this time.

Well, Nier's gameplay kind of sucked, I thought, so I wouldn't be too bothered if it was totally retooled to be honest.

some new details about the game.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/06/19/12-things-we-learned-about-the-new-nier

A few highlights:

1. There are 3 main characters: The white hair girl seen at the end of the trailer ( who is not Kaine from the original game ), a young boy also seen in the trailer, and a 3rd unrevealed character.

2. Story is new and has very little connection to the original game. Takes place in the same world as the original game, but most locations will be new.

3. They are considering the idea of allowing multiple playthroughs using each of the main characters.

4. Theme of the game is to "struggle/desperately fight your way out of a situation."

5. The game is on the PS4 because of the platform's high specs - they want to run the game at 60 FPS ( guess that confirms it's PS4 exclusive? )

Last edited:
With the true ending, I don't think they could've really done a true direct sequel to the first one. Well, maybe they could have, but I'm not sure how much would be there.

Number 5 is kind of bull, though. Platinum aims with 60 FPS on most things they do. Bayonetta 2 and W101 aimed for 60, Korra did, Transformers and Scalebound will, too, I'm sure. I guess it could be easier to get a solid 60 fps, though, but I doubt it'll be locked. Dipping framerate during stupid intense Platinum moments will probably never not happen.

I never played the original game, only heard about in passing.

so I know nothing of the story.....lol.

also, to be clear, I grouped several points in #5, since they seemed related.

but, there could be other reasons besides the 60 FPS goal that they felt the PS4's specs were more powerful and more suited for the game.

I'm sure it was a factor, but I think it's just obvious this gen that the Japanese-centric games are probably going to be PS4 over Xbox One. They'll be some exceptions like Metal Gear, mainline FFs and Resident Evil, basically the big franchises with worldwide appeal outside Japan, but the ones that don't will either be PS4 or PS3/PS4.

Which is what it is, but I was kind of thinking of just going with one console (as in one Sony and/or Microsoft console + a Nintendo system) this gen really. Oh well, maybe by the time this game comes out I can get a PS4 for $250-300.

I'm sure it was a factor, but I think it's just obvious this gen that the Japanese-centric games are probably going to be PS4 over Xbox One. They'll be some exceptions like Metal Gear, mainline FFs and Resident Evil, basically the big franchises with worldwide appeal outside Japan, but the ones that don't will either be PS4 or PS3/PS4.

Which is what it is, but I was kind of thinking of just going with one console (as in one Sony and/or Microsoft console + a Nintendo system) this gen really. Oh well, maybe by the time this game comes out I can get a PS4 for $250-300.

hopefully you get your wish. :cwink:

and that's one reason why I prefer the PS4, the fact that most Japan-centric games will favor or be exclusive to the PS4.

oh, and Platinum is doing Scalebound for X1, right?

so maybe they gave Scalebound to the X1 and Nier to the PS4.

and I'm with you, this gen, I really want to just stick with one console, which in my case would be the PS4. if I do get another console, it would be the Wii U for Zelda.

hopefully you get your wish. :cwink:

and that's one reason why I prefer the PS4, the fact that most Japan-centric games will favor or be exclusive to the PS4.

oh, and Platinum is doing Scalebound for X1, right?

so maybe they gave Scalebound to the X1 and Nier to the PS4.

and I'm with you, this gen, I really want to just stick with one console, which in my case would be the PS4. if I do get another console, it would be the Wii U for Zelda.

Yeah, that was why I bought a Xbox One over a PS4 last year when that was announced. I knew it was a full exclusive since it's published and funded by MS (a PC version is possible, I guess, but I don't have a gaming PC).

But nah, Platinum doesn't really work that way. They have done their own IPs and all, but they're more of a hired gun kind of developer. They ultimately go wherever the contracts are, which is why to date they don't actually own any of the IPs they've created. NeiR being PS4 exclusive is all Square.

Yeah, that was why I bought a Xbox One over a PS4 last year when that was announced. I knew it was a full exclusive since it's published and funded by MS (a PC version is possible, I guess, but I don't have a gaming PC).

But nah, Platinum doesn't really work that way. They have done their own IPs and all, but they're more of a hired gun kind of developer. They ultimately go wherever the contracts are, which is why to date they don't actually own any of the IPs they've created. NeiR being PS4 exclusive is all Square.

ah, thanks for the clarification.

well then, you can enjoy Scalebound on your X1 and I can enjoy Nier on my PS4! :woot:

The Japanese versions of the original game was titled Replicant and Gestlat, so that makes sense

Coming in 2016 (hopefully) and first gameplay footage

http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2015...ata-trailer-and-details-from-paris-game-week/

[YT]Ho5-CuSwNvU[/YT]

looks nice!

though I'm not a fan of the floating weapons on the back. but I'm not sure if that's due to it still being in development or if it's on purpose due to some gameplay/story reason.

if it makes sense in the game world, then fine ( it seems there are yellow "rings" holding her swords ).

some more gematsu screens via gaf
nier-automata_2016_04xxxi7.jpg

nier-automata_2016_048sx7r.jpg

nier-automata_2016_04nvzvk.jpg

nier-automata_2016_042gyf0.jpg

nier-automata_2016_044oyos.jpg

nier-automata_2016_049ol8o.jpg

nier-automata_2016_04c6xff.jpg

nier-automata_2016_04tnlyl.jpg

nier-automata_2016_041jxfo.jpg

nier-automata_2016_04zlbg6.jpg

http://gematsu.com/gallery/nier-automata/april-21-2016/

[YT]3V13gdh-WhM[/YT]

[YT]Iq3_phBQA_Y[/YT]

Glad you posted this. I was wondering if I missed any Nier stuff in everything else. Just occurred to me that Square didn't do a press conference like last year.

They actually did do a press conference, but I think it was focused entirely on Deus Ex.

The footage is fantastic. But if you didn't look for it, you probably would have missed it, which is kind of sad imo.

Not that I had any doubts about them, but it's nice to see this and Scalebound looking so nice after Platinum's rough last few games.

This and Scalebound will hold me over until they make DMC5 or Bayonetta 3. :woot:

Hey, a boy can dream. :cwink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"