The Last Jedi (NO SPOILERS) The Last Jedi EARLY TWEET REACTION thread (NO SPOILERS)

A few pages back people were posting quite a few negative reviews.

You based your opinion on a couple pages on the Hype forum and declare that the consensus? There is an invention called Google. Use it.

I hear the humor is terrible and cringey and Marvelesque. True?

Thanks for the response, jmc. I have to say, there is some cognitive dissonance going on here with the reactions I'm seeing where people are saying the exact opposite things. Specifically with you saying there are no Star Wars "moments". I just listened to a no-spoiler review on a podcast where they were gushing about how there were so many "goosebump-y" Star Wars moments and repeatedly referred to the movie as "deeply mystical". I was very encouraged by that.

Of course, I'll have to wait and see for myself.

Totally baffling. I haven't read the reviews yet, because I was avoiding spoilers, but this is, for me, a genuinely bad film.

Damn man. That's f**ked up!

I have to admit though, seeing passionate reactions in both directions has intensified my curiosity. I've been demanding risks be taken since TFA, and you can't take some risks without pissing a few people off. I just have to hope I'm not one of the people Rian pisses off...

Marvel-esque is a good description.

Thanks for the response, jmc. I have to say, there is some cognitive dissonance going on here with the reactions I'm seeing where people are saying the exact opposite things. Specifically with you saying there are no Star Wars "moments". I just listened to a no-spoiler review on a podcast where they were gushing about how there were so many "goosebump-y" Star Wars moments and repeatedly referred to the movie as "deeply mystical". I was very encouraged by that.

Of course, I'll have to wait and see for myself.

That depends on what you classify as a Star Wars moment I guess. For me it's probably more about the characters. Maybe it's just over familiarity as well. The movie starts off in a very Star Wars way but it felt like a case of 'been there, done that'. I knew there was a problem within the first 10 mins where I felt like I'd seen the same thing done already.

Without spoilers, is the movie small in scale compared to the other movies? Certainly feels that way from all the trailers

The funny thing is, I don't think this is a case of critics just going easy on the movie. Most reviews I've read cite flaws, but still say the movie powers through them and does some truly remarkable stuff. So I think there is going to be a lot of genuine disagreement on this one, and not just the usual fanboy wars.

I always kind of had a hunch this movie would be divisive. Not sure why. I just keep thinking of the mixed reception Empire had initially.

I also wonder if this where will be a case where the choices made in this one end up making more sense when viewed in the context of a completed trilogy. I mean Vader turning out to be Luke's dad is a pretty random twist/cliffhanger if you think about it. Yet it gives the movie (and the rest of them) a deeper layer when you rewatch it. Not all that much really happens in Empire either.

Last edited:
You based your opinion on a couple pages on the Hype forum and declare that the consensus? There is an invention called Google. Use it.

I did, I got a lot of the same thing. And I was fully aware of the Rotten Tomatoes score. If you only count professional critics who are allowed to post on Rotten Tomatoes, yeah I agree it is being well received, I guess I was using the word in a looser sense. I probably should have made a distinction between actual critics and amateur reviewers (who are sometimes referred to as critics in a looser sense).

Marvel-esque is a good description.

Could you elaborate on this further?

I personally like the humor in some of the Marvel movies from a few years ago (Winter Soldier, GOTG1), I feel like it was pretty well-balanced but I feel like they've go a bit overboard recently. The humor in GOTG2, Spider-Man, and Ragnarok occasionally delved into potty/crude humor territory and out-of-place humor during serious moments.

If you only count professional critics who are allowed to post on Rotten Tomatoes, yeah I agree it is being well received.

That's some fiiinne trollin you're doing there. Fine trollin.

Well it's grooster so its to be expected.

I personally like the humor in some of the Marvel movies from a few years ago (Winter Soldier, GOTG1), I feel like it was pretty well-balanced but I feel like they've go a bit overboard recently. The humor in GOTG2, Spider-Man, and Ragnarok occasionally delved into potty/crude humor territory and out-of-place humor during serious moments.

You'll see within the first 5 mins.

Reported to the mods.

...okay, accepted. I find the comment that "Oh, you mean professional critics? My apologies... I was talking about amateur or professional critics" ... to be a very loaded kind of statement.

Either you have a strange vernacular, or you're purposely trying to get a rise out of people. Cause when I talk about Masons or construction workers or authors or artists... it's kind of a given that I'm talking about professionals.

It's like me saying, "critically, the mona lisa is very controversial." You say: "What? art critics love the Mona Lisa." And then I say, "well I guess if you are only including professional critics, then yeah it's not controversial." Huh?

The humor worked fine for me, even though there were a few instances where I felt they went a bit overboard with the slapstick. Just a bit, it certainly wasn't enough to ruin any scene.

...okay, accepted. I find the comment that "Oh, you mean professional critics? My apologies... I was talking about amateur or professional critics" ... to be a very loaded kind of statement.

Either you have a strange vernacular, or you're purposely trying to get a rise out of people. Cause when I talk about Masons or construction workers or authors or artists... it's kind of a given that I'm talking about professionals.

It's like me saying, "critically, the mona lisa is very controversial." You say: "What? art critics love the Mona Lisa." And then I say, "well I guess if you are only including professional critics, then yeah it's not controversial." Huh?

Actually I disagree; this completely depends on context. Students with an art majors or Deviantart users are frequently called artists even though they're not professionals. I do admit that I probably should have used the term "reviewer" instead of "critic" to avoid confusion, but there's no reason to get rude about it.

Actually I disagree; this completely depends on context. Students with an art majors or Deviantart users are frequently called artists even though they're not professionals. I do admit that I probably should have used the term "reviewer" instead of "critic" to avoid confusion, but there's no reason to get rude about it.

But they aren't called critics. If someone writes a paragraph about a movie, I don't call them a critic. Even if it were a film student writing a film paper, I wouldn't call that person a critic. I certainly wouldn't use the handful (at best) non professional reviews that I did see to say that it's critically controversial, when the film is at 90% in RT... which you say you knew about. That again... is so strange in vernacular, that it feels like you are trying to get a rise out of people. Sorry if you thought it was rude... but my impression was that it was a loaded statement that feels like it was designed to create a reaction... Now, can we stop hijacking the thread and move on please?

This was fuc*ing awesome!!! I'm in tears! Definitely the best Star Wars since ESB. Can't wait to see it again.

This was fuc*ing awesome!!! I'm in tears! Definitely the best Star Wars since ESB. Can't wait to see it again.

Happy to hear you loved it and had a good time Pepper :yay:

TLJ has all the right colours and design elements that make it look like Star Wars, but it doesn't feel like the film has any real interest in wanting to be a Star Wars film.

And virtually every review (at least the legitimate press reviews), are preaching the complete opposite of what you just said. That it feels like Star Wars up the wazoo, and I quote from a particular one "Like Dave Filoni and George Lucas on speed".

You get your opinion. Most people so far have been contradicting you completely though - at a certain point what you're saying doesn't hold much weight given the twitter reactions, the professional reviews, and George ****ing Lucas seemingly liking it more than he did The Force Awakens.

The "Star Wars legitimacy" isn't a question, even if you didn't personally enjoy the film.

Feels great to finally be able to talk about the film. Man it is fanstastic. I just saw it for the second time and everything fell into place even more. The red herrings are there for all to see and no moment is wasted - every line and action has purpose and consequence. Over ambitious? Sure. But it hits far more than it misses.

Full review is here:

https://medium.com/@benhollidaytalks/star-wars-the-last-jedi-non-spoiler-review-d0f11679d3e8

Great review. Thanks for sharing. You're not the first I've seen to say that a 2nd viewing made things snap into place either.

The Finn/Rose storyline seems to be universally regarded as a weak point. I'm hoping that even if it feels a bit extraneous, that it helps me get more invested in Finn as a character. I think TFA dropped the ball with him, to be honest. He never quite felt like a real person to me.

Some of the negative reactions here though...it's interesting to see the contrast.

Great review. Thanks for sharing. You're not the first I've seen to say that a 2nd viewing made things snap into place either.

The Finn/Rose storyline seems to be universally regarded as a weak point. I'm hoping that even if it feels a bit extraneous, that it helps me get more invested in Finn as a character. I think TFA dropped the ball with him, to be honest. He never quite felt like a real person to me.

Some of the negative reactions here though...it's interesting to see the contrast.
I thought them killing Han was big but I think what happens with Luke's storyline is going to be the most controversial thing to come out of this new trilogy since it basically cuts off all ties to the original series and the newer characters are now the carriers of the SW franchise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"