The Force Awakens Star Wars The Force Awakens: Early Tweet Discussion Thread (NO SPOILERS)

Jeremy Smith ‏@mrbeaks 1 hour ago
THE FORCE AWAKENS has got it where it counts. Worked me over emotionally. Length a minor issue, but lots of characters to serve.

Jeremy Smith ‏@mrbeaks 1 hour ago
No ambivalence here. I loved it despite a few issues.

"Length" as in too long?

That's great news if so IMO, haha. I've had a fear that it would feel too short and leave me wanting more, not necessarily in a good way. If the movie has some extra breathing room in places, I'm okay with that.

I've been saying it for a long time. This film is a "spiritual reboot". Many generations, and directors I think have forgotten the core elements of what makes a Star Wars film. I knew that JJ and Disney wanted to replant the tree so to speak, and say let's start off with the "roots" of Star Wars. And build from there. Even though I know some loved it I was not a fan of Jurassic World and in my opinion the nostalgia was the least of it's problems. To me it was lacking the in the characters and I felt the story was over the top, and just some way out there ideas.

But from what we do know and I will find out in a few days is that it seems the film is perfectly made. Just does not try to go into heavy new ground. (Though it sounds like it creates very complex characters like Kylo Ren). But as I've said a million times, it's not "what" you tell, but "how" you tell it.

Absolutely. Jurassic World had problems beyond its love for nostalgia. I have a feeling The Force Awakens is going to have a great new cast of characters (particularly excited for Kylo Ren) and wonderful settings.

I believe the film does have to play it safe in some aspects. Kathleen Kennedy and J.J. have said a few times that this film is "for the fans", so there will likely be fan service and not straying too far into more challenging territory story and thematic wise. Which there is a very good reason for this, Disney probably feel they have to earn the fans trust again and playing it safe is possibly the best option in some ways.

We'll all form our own opinions in a few days though, I'm excited as ever but know not to over hype myself. Should be a fun ride everyone, bring it on!

So the one person didn't find the mo-cap characters (I assume Maz and Snoke) believable?

It is unstoppable.

This always happens.

You can't break the cycle, gurl.

yvIxc6T.gif

:hehe:

Absolutely. Jurassic World had problems beyond its love for nostalgia. I have a feeling The Force Awakens is going to have a great new cast of characters (particularly excited for Kylo Ren) and wonderful settings.

I believe the film does have to play it safe in some aspects. Kathleen Kennedy and J.J. have said a few times that this film is "for the fans", so there will likely be fan service and not straying too far into more challenging territory story and thematic wise. Which there is a very good reason for this, Disney probably feel they have to earn the fans trust again and playing it safe is possibly the best option in some ways.

We'll all form our own opinions in a few days though, I'm excited as ever but know not to over hype myself. Should be a fun ride everyone, bring it on!

Well to start simple as I would put it. You know it's going to get more complex as years go on. ANH was just simple in itself. But had amazing characters. It seems this mirrors that in many ways.

Honestly because it's SW people yell at the "nostalgia" factor when in reality some of the most loved films this year do nothing but that. Like Mad Max and Creed. People point to Jurassic World, but in reality MM and Creed are sequels, but spiritual reboots to the originals. Sadly some will point it out just because of the fact it's Star Wars.

It sounds like the everything is great on the film. To me sadly I think some will just focus on the superficial mirroring and not look at the new things TFA does. Including it's characters.

To be fair, I don't think it's always about a predetermined "focusing" on things. It's all about how a film hits you, and that's subjective.

For some, it might hit them as being too much of a greatest hits/cover. Others might be totally engaged by the new story and characters and just enjoy the familiar beats and parallels along the way.

At the end of the day, films are subjective experiences for all of us. We all bring something to it, we all get something a little different out of it. It could be a perfectly executed film top to bottom and you may take issue with a choice to the point that it ruins it for you. Or you could be aware of some major flaws, but it wins over your heart to the point that you don't care.

To be fair, I don't think it's always about a predetermined "focusing" on things. It's all about how a film hits you, and that's subjective.

For some, it might hit them as being too much of a greatest hits/cover. Others might be totally engaged by the new story and characters and just enjoy the familiar beats and parallels along the way.

At the end of the day, films are subjective experiences for all of us. We all bring something to it, we all get something a little different out of it. It could be a perfectly executed film top to bottom and you may take issue with a choice to the point that it ruins it for you. Or you could be aware of some major flaws, but it wins over your heart to the point that you don't care.

Oh I agree. However some going to a film wanting to dislike something or thinking they'll dislike it before even walking in. To me negative emotions like that pretty much almost guarantee you won't like something. Kind a like an individual that doesn't like A food let's say before even really trying it. Critics of course have to find flaws and films they do it all them even the ones we consider masterpieces. But again people didn't recognize these with Mad Max or Creed because no one is really hyped for it. Even though some hard-core fans could point out a lot of similarities.

But again it will come down to execution does it go too far sometimes or doesn't find a way to do it while feeling correct in the context of the new story.

Apologies for the grammar I'm doing this all on my iPhone.

Well, yeah. I'm just saying that not everyone who ends up disliking the movie has an agenda. There will be people who go in sincerely wanting to love it and end up disappointed. That is inevitable.

While of course others, like Devin, very transparently DO have an agenda.

and I don't disagree with that at all. that goes with everything even ones like the dark Knight had negative reviews the reviews that were mixed to slightly positive.

Yeah I would expect TFA to be the simple start to this trilogy because that is what's necessary, and then Rian Johnson's entry will hopefully expand greatly on what is established in this film.

Creed was undoubtedly a gigantic parallel film to Rocky, and in fact that is for me both a strength and a criticism at the same time despite my enjoyment of it. Fury Road however felt great enough on its own (The Road Warrior is in my top 10 films of all time and I was quite hyped for FR) without thinking of the parallels it has to the previous entries. I always feel Fury Road was the film George Miller would have loved to make decades ago, so a soft reboot makes sense there.

If there's one thing I'm excited for most it's seeing Luke for the first time, my god that is going to be something.

whats it looking like universally so far? 80-85% ish?

and I don't disagree with that at all. that goes with everything even ones like the dark Knight had negative reviews the reviews that were mixed to slightly positive.

Of course.

That's part of what I'm trying to say, we've been through this all before and there will be reactions that run the gamut. The best thing to do is just stick with a few reviewers you trust. And even then, it's still not 100%.

Ooh. A non-spoiler thread!

Just skimming through some reactions. My takeaway? I am very much looking forward to Rian Johnson's Episode VIII.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"