Age of Ultron No Strings Attached: James Spader is Ultron! - Part 1

If that was the intention then they pulled it off perfectly.
I think Whedon described him in an interview as basically a teenager rebelling against his father/creator with no regard for anyone else and thinking there's no other way but their's.

To me its much more fun to see a character with lots of different things going on inside them rather than a standard evil villain that has no depth.

The biggest problem with Ultron is that he's just not threatening, not once did it seem like the Avengers wouldn't eventually contain him, I'd go so far to say that Iron Man himself could have eventually contained him on his own. On top of that the films pacing makes him seem like he just casually taking his time. There's no sense of urgency or or even fear. He's just a run of the mill AI villain.

ULTRON has been described as "child like, unstable, disturbed, psychotic, quippy" and that was the plan since I first read about Joss directing this movie. I think people want "evil villain" and if they are eccentric or not portraying pure evil in every scene they consider it a negative. ULTRON has traits of Tony Stark, so of course hes going to be humorous as well as deadly. But personality wise, I think hes all kinds of things at once.

ULTRON is an AI that becomes self aware and decides he needs to wipe out humanity to achieve true peace. Thats not good for humans BUT that doesnt mean hes suddenly just an "evil villain". To ULTRON, he is the hero of the story. Do you know what Im saying?

Nice I like this, I like it a lot. Excited to see him in action :)

Just saw a new clip on Fallon and Ultron sounded great. Dunno what some are talking about, it's Spader's already great sinister voice and it has the metallic robotic echo twinge to it. Not overly done either where you're losing Spader's voice in it. It was a perfect balance.

One of my favorite scenes is when Ultron becomes self aware and starts questioning Jarvis, I just wish we had more scenes with him.

It was a good performance, and the character was interesting. But the movie had so much going on with it that it almost felt like the Avengers were doing all of this self examination and in-fighting while Ultron just lazed about casually. The urgency wasnt here. I didn't have a problem with the character himself, but the utilization within the plot was a mess.

That said, there were elements of his character that I think were more intriguing than any other MCU villain. He was flat out insane and couldn't decide whether or not he was destroying humanity to supplant them or to save them, and there was a desperate loneliness to the guy. By the end of the film and his last moments, I really felt pity for him.

I think Ultron is the most interesting villain the MCU has had, including Loki. It's just that he didn't get enough screen time. But every time he was on screen you learned something new about him. I wish we got more scenes of him interacting with the rest of the characters.

It was a good move to have him basically have Starks personality and not just be a monotone robot. The scene whete he's got Widow then rips himself in half with another him was menacing.

Yeah I loved the way Ultron knew of all of iron mans quips even before he made them

It was a good performance, and the character was interesting. But the movie had so much going on with it that it almost felt like the Avengers were doing all of this self examination and in-fighting while Ultron just lazed about casually. The urgency wasnt here. I didn't have a problem with the character himself, but the utilization within the plot was a mess.

That said, there were elements of his character that I think were more intriguing than any other MCU villain. He was flat out insane and couldn't decide whether or not he was destroying humanity to supplant them or to save them, and there was a desperate loneliness to the guy. By the end of the film and his last moments, I really felt pity for him.

Personally I would say Ultron was a pretty interesting and well-developed character, it's just that it didn't work as well as a villain - Not only due to the characters own tics and eccentricities (which, let's be honest, make him look like a kid trying to fight adults sometimes) but also due to how the plot is structured more around the Avengers's own inner conflicts in exchange for an imposing villain the requires urgency.

Personally I prefer it this way. I generally like character pieces more than tense plots, but I can understand why someone wouldn't like this in a superhero movie.

Hes very different to the other villains. He's childish and unstable, and I guess some don't like that. But he's definitely menacing. I'd rank him somewhere with Loki.

Same here. Ultron was entertaining and badass.

ULTRON has been described as "child like, unstable, disturbed, psychotic, quippy" and that was the plan since I first read about Joss directing this movie. I think people want "evil villain" and if they are eccentric or not portraying pure evil in every scene they consider it a negative. ULTRON has traits of Tony Stark, so of course hes going to be humorous as well as deadly. But personality wise, I think hes all kinds of things at once.

ULTRON is an AI that becomes self aware and decides he needs to wipe out humanity to achieve true peace. Thats not good for humans BUT that doesnt mean hes suddenly just an "evil villain". To ULTRON, he is the hero of the story. Do you know what Im saying?

This.

One thing I find interesting:

The moment in the movie when Ultron looked most alike his comic book counterpart was in the final battle when he transferred his consciousness into one of his drones in order to speak to the Avengers through that particular drone.

That drone's blue eyes then became red - and suddenly, there it was, Ultron's iconic look from the comics!

Just wish they could have done more with him.

He is better than the most MCU villains but I wasn't impressed with him.

yes I have him right up there with Fisk, but there was just something missing

I'm not gonna compare him to Fisk (whom appeared in 12 to 13 hour TV series. Though MCu the films don't have a lot of great villains so its not really hard to top them. Like yes, he's better than Red Skull, Mandarin, Ronan, Malekith, Abomination, Laufey and maybe even Aldrich, Obadiah in terms of threat level but I just wasn't impressed with him. I also think he lacked build up, the moment Tony/Bruce talked about this idea of creating an A.I. that is nothing the world has ever seen... this Ultron was quickly manifested on its own with some evil plan for human extinction. So not impressed. And I don't know if I liked the internet travel... I don't know there was something off about it

Another Loki, meaning he was interesting and very charismatic. Also he was never even remotely intimidating to the Avengers or a real threat. Marvel, just seems incapable of putting a worthy villain in a movie. When they come together, and defeat him it should be a big payoff, but considering what it happened before and it was meaningless.

Does anyone else think Ultron was almost too James Spader-ish?

Does anyone else think Ultron was almost too James Spader-ish?
Honestly that was my favorite part of the character. Spader was a perfect choice, imo. His personality fit Ultron like a glove.
I think Loki is still my favorite villain thus far, but Ultron is probably number 2.

1. Loki
2. Ultron
3. Winter Soldier

I loved Ultron. He's by far the most refreshing villain in recent CBM memory, which is remarkable considering his premise is being an evil AI. Whedon did a wonderful job with him. The biggest complaint is that there wasn't enough of him and that's a good problem to have.

Spader knocked it out of the park. Although it's not saying much, Ultron is easily one of the best villains of the MCU so far.

I think most of the criticisms against Ultron can be mollified if people thought of him as an evil Tony Stark, which is how Whedon characterized him.

Last edited:
As for him taking his time... it probably takes time to build an army of hundreds (?) of clones, and lace a huge chunk of earth with vibranium so that it doesn't fall apart.

Also, I think they provided a pretty decent explanation for why he didn't just launch every nuke.

Great villian
I think if they eliminated the vision part and focused on Ultron being a more massive threat and nipping at the strings of the Avengers it would've been a better film.
Like I could see him declaring war on the world while torturing BW

Let's face it, there are just too many characters to properly develop brand new characters. Way too many. Tony, Cap, Thor, Bruce, BW, Hawkeye, SW, QS, Vision, and of course Ultron all needed time. Then other small roles like Fury and Hill, with guest stars like War Machine.

It's simply way too much for a 2 hour movie, so I think Whedon did a good job with the time he had. You could argue that he could have allocated time differently, but anyway you slice it it's not enough to give every character enough. Heck, Cap and Thor weren't given real arcs at all, and they're two of the biggest characters. So I do understand the criticism, but I'm more forgiving of it due to the nature of this movie.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"