Sequels Nolan and a Superman Series?

Nolan and Superman are a poor match. No Thanks.

Nolan for Supes? Absolutely not.

Close thread.

I'm not sure if I'd want Nolan for Superman or not. However I WISH someone would take his approach. What I mean by this is.....strip the idea of the character down to the essentials of what makes it great in the first place. Use settings and develop and use other characters meaningfully (Gordon in the early Batman movies vs Gordon in Nolan's movies). Also have a director do some reading!! You can see lots of evidence of Frank Miller's Year one, loeb's Long Halloween and even Grant morrison in the new movies. I, for one, have always loved the Loeb story, Superman for all Seasons. I'm not saying that should be a movie, but extract the essence of it and explore it. If I had my way, I'd have Luthor in all three with the inclusion of another villain ally in the second and third of the trilogy. Who says it has to be a new villain each time? Darth Vader appeared in all three star wars films....that didn't seem to hurt the franchise at all. Lastly do Luthor some justice! I mean it is THE classic story of brains vs brawn. Make both points of view valid and mean something, and stop protraying luthor as some swindler who steals from dying grandmas.....man...I hated Superman Returns.....can hardly wait for a new movie to wash the taste out of mouth from that one.

I think even if Nolan wanted to get involved with the Superman franchise, It wouldn't be a good idea. He would have to oversee Batman & Superman & that may spread his talents. He should focus on Batman with his understanding of Batman, that style suits him better. I'm sure he would do an excellent job, better then Singer but, I'd be afraid Nolan would be unfocused trying to balance 2 of DC's popular hero's .

No that would never work Nolan would try and make the man too realistic. And we all know Superman is not.

the last time they tried to take the guy who made a couple of smash hit batman movies and put him on superman it didn't work out so well.

tim-burton-superman.jpg

lives-costume.jpg

yuck!

No he would make Superman too dark like golden age Superman.

I think Nolan should produce the film if Batman is also involved. I think what will happen is that after they reboot Superman, the sequel will be a WF film and that will lead into a Justice League film. Nolan doesn't need to be involved in JLA, but for a WF film then definitely. I don't see Superman getting a trilogy again, and I think WB will eventually adpot the Marvel strategy with MOS/WF/JLA... something akin to IM/IM2/Avengers.

Those pics of Superman in the black suit were to be his suit after he was resurrected. He wore a very similar black and silver suit in the comics during the "Reign of the Superman" story, so it's not exactly sacrilege or something.

superman1993.jpg

Last edited:
It's kinda funny that, just like with the actors, fanboys are so closeminded when it comes to directors. Yeah, Nolan did that ultra successful Batman movie. But guess what? That dosn't mean isn't the only filmmaker in the world who's able to get the character right. And it also dosn't mean he's the only man out there capable of making good superhero movies. It dosn't even mean he's the right choice for any other character than Batman.

So no, please no Nolan for Superman. I don't want to see his take on the whole DCU, i want to see different approaches from different people for different characters. And franky, i won't mind seeing someone else exploring other aspects of Batman instead of seeing even more of the same world, meaning a third Bats movie by Nolan. Oh god, now i said it...

no no no no no....for exactly the same reasons why everyone else said. I honestly dont like his take on Batman (I think a third Bat film will disappoint...TDK has a lot of hype behind it) and would hate it on Superman. I'd like to see Zack Snyder handle Superman

Nolan is a real director. Do you think he's gonna waste 10 more years of his life with another superhero franchise ?

Well no but Nolan did make Batman mostly realistic. That will not work for Superman. Need fantasy elements.

I know I'm not the only one to have thought of this, but what if Brian Singer's The Man of Steel would be stopped (thank God) and Superman could finally be done some justice!?
Superman = good
Superman 2 = good
Superman 3 = bad
Superman 4 = worse
Superman Returns = mixed feelings... bad in my opinion
Discuss...
Nolan and a Superman Series? No. Certainly not for me. I would hate that (if he is hired to do the same things than on batman, which is what you imply), then no, not, never. superman is a beautiful character. I would hate to see the so-called realistic approach to the character. Bryan Singer on the other hand would have a chance to proof that his Superman could have other name than "bad". Which is fine for me since I loved the movie. Not everything, but I liked it a lot.

I’m seeing two extremes in here. You really think Nolan would do the same exact realism take on Superman as he did on Batman? His other films have had supernatural events happen in them. And I can’t imagine any director in their right mind taking away the supernatural element in the Superman mythos. If anything, a common trend in his movies show the character at it’s core, with their key elements.

I’m reading it’s close-minded to only think Nolan, but it’s also close-minded to think Nolan only has one approach.

But I’m not meaning I would want him to direct it, it’s just an odd way to shut him down.

I’m seeing two extremes in here. You really think Nolan would do the same exact realism take on Superman as he did on Batman? His other films have had supernatural events happen in them. And I can’t imagine any director in their right mind taking away the supernatural element in the Superman mythos. If anything, a common trend in his movies show the character at it’s core, with their key elements.

I’m reading it’s close-minded to only think Nolan, but it’s also close-minded to think Nolan only has one approach.

But I’m not meaning I would want him to direct it, it’s just an odd way to shut him down.
Indeed. Of course what these people overlook is that ALL of Nolan's films so far have been gritty and depressing. Definitely not what anyone wants for Superman. I think that's more of an issue than the realism.

Indeed. Of course what these people overlook is that ALL of Nolan's films so far have been gritty and depressing. Definitely not what anyone wants for Superman. I think that's more of an issue than the realism.

That’s a pretty good point. I love every CN movie I’ve seen, but most of the main characters do normally have flaws or mishaps as their driving force. (memory loss in memento, girlfriend accidentally being killed in prestige, Batman’s origin)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"