• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

The Dark Knight Nolan talks the Dark Knight (8/39

Is The Penguin going to be in the film , or is this just a rumour ? I think I read somewhere about him being an arms dealer from the U.K ?.

The funniest thing is that Latino Review says that Nolan said "No truth to that rumor" (talking about Sean Penn's rumor), while IESB says "no truth to any of those rumors" (talking about all rumours, which were mentioned in the interview).

Don't know who is right, but I trust LR more than IESB.

As for TDK being much darker than BB, I think sequel should be as dark as The Prestige was.

Excel said:
am i the only one whose ALRMED at the idea of making it very different?

i mean everybody LOVED begins, making it different is the same mistake burton and shuymcher made!

if it aint broke, dont fix it nolan ya idiot :p

Well, actually Nolan was talking about the formula of movie.

Burton used B89 formula to BR and made it just look darker. The same did Schumacher, but this time with the same tone.

As for Nolan, he also makes TDK look darker, BUT he isn't going with the same formula from BB.

Ronny Shade said:
The Prestige isn't out yet :confused: is it?

October 20th for US, November 3rd (as I know) for UK and January 18th for Russia :(

Fenrir said:
I believe he was talking about keeping things fresh and interesting instead of going the safe route of "more of the same". Some of the best sequels ever made are very much different from the originals in terms of structure, direction and story - Aliens, Terminator 2 and The Godfather 2 come to mind.

Yep, new formulas made them look much better than 1st movie and the same will happen with TDK :up:

The Sage said:
Great interview. Maybe going in a different direction means playing TDK more as a mystery and detective story instead of the regular "hero's journey" every superhero flick runs. Should be great.

Yes, thats what can happen. Nolan can show more of Batman-detective than Batmas-superhero.

Ronny Shade said:
ouch...january? that's forever

Yes, that sucks.

I will be trying to not buy this movie on piratic DVD, but it will not be easy for me :(

And people told me I was crazy (don't be smartasses i know some of you will still say I am) But I told you that damn Bat-curse of even numbered bat films might rear it's ugly head. Like I always said, directors do a decent to excellent job their first time around, then they take Batman and do w/e they want with him, not keeping him true to his comic book roots. I was worried when Nolan had his brother write the script, and now he's giving us the heads up. Don't get me wrong, Nolan could pull off an amazing film, but me? I'm not that trusting yet. I agree with Jett, if it's not broke, don't fix it.

"The Bat-curse of even numbered bat-films"
:rolleyes:

Anjow1060 said:
And people told me I was crazy (don't be smartasses i know some of you will still say I am) But I told you that damn Bat-curse of even numbered bat films might rear it's ugly head. Like I always said, directors do a decent to excellent job their first time around, then they take Batman and do w/e they want with him, not keeping him true to his comic book roots. I was worried when Nolan had his brother write the script, and now he's giving us the heads up. Don't get me wrong, Nolan could pull off an amazing film, but me? I'm not that trusting yet. I agree with Jett, if it's not broke, don't fix it.

Look, you are totaly wrong.

Burton didn't make his first Batman movie as faithful comic adaptation and the same he did with BR. ANd that is why his movie weren't so good.

Nolan had Goyer as comic book guide into Batman's hystory in 1st movie. In TDK Goyer will also come back, but this time as storyteller, because as we all know Nolan bros work better with dialogues.

So I don't see any connection with BR.

Besides, Nolad said that formula of the movie will be different and new. Yes, we all know, that he's going to make TDK darker than BB was, but he also changes the strategy of the whole movie.

Burton didn't do this. He used the same formula from B89, but made sequel to look much darker than 1st movie.

Am I the only one who thought Batman Returns wasn't dark? I mean what was so dark about it? Did anyone even die besides the bad guy?

Anjow1060 said:
You´re not crazy, you´re just making all the wrong assumptions. Nolan never said it was going to be completely different from the comics, just very different from the first movie, which is a natural progress. So far all they have been said about the movie has been related to the comics, like the Joker take being inspired by his first appearances, The Killing Joke, etc.

Come on... is that statement really that big of a thing? I mean, Spider-Man 3 will be VERY diff'rent from the previous two and, still, it's gonna be an awesome movie.

Ronny Shade said:
Am I the only one who thought Batman Returns wasn't dark? I mean what was so dark about it? Did anyone even die besides the bad guy?

Hot and Mad Catwoman+Very scary Penguin=VERY VERY DARK BAT-MOVIE

Exactly ultimatefan, TDK will be faithful to Batman comics much as as BB did.

ultimatefan said:
You´re not crazy, you´re just making all the wrong assumptions. Nolan never said it was going to be completely different from the comics, just very different from the first movie, which is a natural progress. So far all they have been said about the movie has been related to the comics, like the Joker take being inspired by his first appearances, The Killing Joke, etc.

Yes, thats right.

If there is Goyer, then TDK won't be bad comic book adaptation.

Besides, I also think Nolan meant the development of TDK as the sequel to BB.

I think it's great news that Nolan wants to give us something different and unexpected with the Dark Knight.

Watched the original Star Wars trilogy again over the weekend and I love the way ESB didnt just copy the 1st film, i.e, sticking to a safe formula just because it worked the 1st time around (Today's Hollywood: take note). It was darker in tone and sensibilities and pushed the series forward, rather than being a re-hash of SW.

Sticking to a set formula (over and over again) is what brought the Bond Franchise to it's knees (creatively) so it's good that Nolan is not a director who will be satisfied to do this. The execs at WB, on the other hand, may feel a tad nervous that Nolan isn't going the 'safe route'.

Burton didn't do this. He used the same formula from B89, but made sequel to look much darker than 1st movie.

Not true.

Tim Burton wanted more weirdness and subplots in the first Batman '89 that the producers and studio heads made him take them out. He even had a scene that introduce Robin in the film.

However, at the time, he wasn't consider a director with enough clout to throw his weight around to force then to keep certian things he wanted in the movie.

Although he did get to keep that the Joker would kill Batman parents sub-plot in there despite the objection of the sreenwriter Samm Hamm (who still loudly complain about it till this day) and of course, Michael Keaton as Batman.

However, as soon as Batman became a mega-Hit, he then had the clout to go to the studio heads and say he want this or that in Batman sequel and they really couldn't say anything with the weirdness he put in 'Batman Returns'.

The same was true with Shumacher and 'Batman Forever' and Batman and Robin. But instead of more weirdness in the sequel, it was more camp.

Watched the original Star Wars trilogy again over the weekend and I love the way ESB didnt just copy the 1st film, i.e, sticking to a safe formula just because it worked the 1st time around (Today's Hollywood: take note). It was darker in tone and sensibilities and pushed the series forward, rather than being a re-hash of SW.

So true. I hope TDK will up the anty like ESB did for SWs.

Darknightnomis said:

Not true.

Tim Burton wanted more weirdness and subplots in the first Batman '89 that the producers and studio heads made him take them out. He even had a scene that introduce Robin in the film.

However, at the time, he wasn't consider a director with enough clout to throw his weight around to force then to keep certian things he wanted in the movie.

Although he did get to keep that the Joker would kill Batman parents sub-plot in there despite the objection of the sreenwriter Samm Hamm (who still loudly complain about it till this day) and of course, Michael Keaton as Batman.

However, as soon as Batman became a mega-Hit, he then had the clout to go to the studio heads and say he want this or that in Batman sequel and they really couldn't say anything with the weirdness he put in 'Batman Returns'.

The same was true with Shumacher and 'Batman Forever' and Batman and Robin. But instead of more weirdness in the sequel, it was more camp.

Lets be honest. Burton could make very faithful adaptation without all this crap (Batman-psycho? Joker killing Bruce's parents? Alfred taking Vale to Batcave?), but he didn't want to read comics. He thought that "The Dark Knight Returns" and "The Killing Joke" will be enough to prove fans his faith to comics. But it wasn't so.

With BR he could whatever he wanted to, yes. But again, like other director, he used the same formula with new vissual style to just draw away attention from not so good script.

But Nolan was faithful to comics from the beginning of making BB. He put enough stuff from comic books in BB with help of Goyer.

Besides, Nolan was trying to make BB not only as good adaptation, but also as very serious and good movie, which makes sense.

The same he is going to do with TDK, BUT he will use another formula and new strategy. He will show development of this franchise. Maybe he wants to show new Batman (as more like detective) or just change something another in script. Yes, he wants TDK to be darker than BB, but I doubt he will change vissual style to draw attention from the script, which will is very good as we can say (LR were very positive about it). Goyer (story)+Nolan bros (dialogues)=Great script and thats all.

Lets be honest. Burton could make very faithful adaptation without all this crap (Batman-psycho? Joker killing Bruce's parents? Alfred taking Vale to Batcave?), but he didn't want to read comics. He thought that "The Dark Knight Returns" and "The Killing Joke" will be enough to prove fans his faith to comics. But it wasn't so.

Actually Burton has said that he took more from the 1930s Bob Kane First Batman story in how he wanted Batman to be represented in the film moreso than 'DKR' or 'Killing Joke' (they was used as inspiration for Anton Furst design of the gothic look for Gotham City) In that Batman would be a mysterious figure of the night and actually kill people.

Although the Batman being "phyco' or a counterpart to the Joker was definately a nod at 'The Killing Joke'.

With BR he could whatever he wanted to, yes. But again, like other director, he used the same formula with new vissual style to just draw away attention from not so good script.

I agree, but it was also becasue Anton Furst (the visual designer for BAtman '89) committed suicided before the making of Batman Returns. Which is why Gotham city has a more geometric design than the gothic look.

But Nolan was faithful to comics from the beginning of making BB. He put enough stuff from comic books in BB with help of Goyer.

Besides, Nolan was trying to make BB not only as good adaptation, but also as very serious and good movie, which makes sense.

Early 70s Denny 'O Neil and Neal Adams Ras AL Ghul stories + Year One + The Long Halloween = 'Batman Begins'

Which he has my eternal gratitude for.

The same he is going to do with TDK, BUT he will use another formula and new strategy. He will show development of this franchise. Maybe he wants to show new Batman (as more like detective) or just change something another in script. Yes, he wants TDK to be darker than BB, but I doubt he will change vissual style to draw attention from the script, which will is very good as we can say (LR were very positive about it). Goyer (story)+Nolan bros (dialogues)=Great script and thats all.

Hey i'm all for change. Change is good.

As someone mention 'The Empire Strikes Back' is much different than the original StarWars and that was excellent transition in those movies. I hope the same will be true for Nolan's Batman movies.

And I have always been a proponent of change for the sequel with a complete BAtcave, computers and all, a new look for the Tumbler that reflects the Bat symbol, and even the suit looking more sleeker and I wouldn't mind it being Black and gray (very subtle though).

But I am a little concerned that TDK will reflect a "Chris Nolan" movie than a "Batman Movie" (which isn't neccessary a bad thing, I love All of Nolan's movie so far) like what Burton and Shcumacher did with there sequels.

Two Face said:
So no Ryan as Harvey? I hope so.:up:

No.. it didn't meant Phillippe as Pengiun ( although Nolan could had delibrate made it think he assumed Phillippe and Hoffman as Pengiun in his answer or delibrate avoid Phillippe's rumor..)

Ryan Phillippe and Phillip Seymore Hoffman have been rumored to be in the running for Harvey Dent and the Penguin, respectively. Is there any validity here or pure speculation? “As the penguin, no, not true.” Also, was Sean Penn originally offered the role of the Joker before Heath Ledger? Laughingly he said, “no, no truth to any of those rumors.”

Note it said "Ryan Phillippe and Phillip Seymore Hoffman have been rumored to be in the running for Harvey Dent and the Penguin, respectively. Is there any validity here or pure speculation? “As the penguin, no, not true.”

It said "respectively" meaning "in that order", Phillippe running for Dent and Hoffman for Pengiun. And Nolan just answered for the pengiun rumor and not the Dent one.

Regarding "those rumor", at latinoreview.com, as i posted earlier, the word "those" is not there... it is "that rumor" referring to Penn's rumor.

http://www.latinoreview.com/news.php?id=915
Question: Any truth to any of these rumors about Phillip Seymore Hoffman or Ryan Phillipe…
Nolan: ….as the Penguin? (laughs) No.
Question: What about Sean Penn turning down Harvey Dent?
Nolan: No. No truth to that rumor. All interesting ideas though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"