The Dark Knight Nolan talks the Dark Knight (8/39

Cinemaman said:
The funniest thing is that Latino Review says that Nolan said "No truth to that rumor" (talking about Sean Penn's rumor), while IESB says "no truth to any of those rumors" (talking about all rumours, which were mentioned in the interview).

Don't know who is right, but I trust LR more than IESB.

Noticed that too. Totally agree! :up:

Darknightnomis said:
Lets be honest. Burton could make very faithful adaptation without all this crap (Batman-psycho? Joker killing Bruce's parents? Alfred taking Vale to Batcave?), but he didn't want to read comics. He thought that "The Dark Knight Returns" and "The Killing Joke" will be enough to prove fans his faith to comics. But it wasn't so.

Actually Burton has said that he took more from the 1930s Bob Kane First Batman story in how he wanted Batman to be represented in the film moreso than 'DKR' or 'Killing Joke' (they was used as inspiration for Anton Furst design of the gothic look for Gotham City) In that Batman would be a mysterious figure of the night and actually kill people.

Although the Batman being "phyco' or a counterpart to the Joker was definately a nod at 'The Killing Joke'.

Batman has never been psycho, and thats what Burton couldn't understand.

With BR he could whatever he wanted to, yes. But again, like other director, he used the same formula with new vissual style to just draw away attention from not so good script.

I agree, but it was also becasue Anton Furst (the visual designer for BAtman '89) committed suicided before the making of Batman Returns. Which is why Gotham city has a more geometric design than the gothic look.

Yes, you are right. But also, Burton made BR to look another and he overused action just to draw attention from the script.

But Nolan was faithful to comics from the beginning of making BB. He put enough stuff from comic books in BB with help of Goyer.

Besides, Nolan was trying to make BB not only as good adaptation, but also as very serious and good movie, which makes sense.

Early 70s Denny 'O Neil and Neal Adams Ras AL Ghul stories + Year One + The Long Halloween = 'Batman Begins'

Which he has my eternal gratitude for.

Agreed.

The same he is going to do with TDK, BUT he will use another formula and new strategy. He will show development of this franchise. Maybe he wants to show new Batman (as more like detective) or just change something another in script. Yes, he wants TDK to be darker than BB, but I doubt he will change vissual style to draw attention from the script, which will is very good as we can say (LR were very positive about it). Goyer (story)+Nolan bros (dialogues)=Great script and thats all.

Hey i'm all for change. Change is good.

As someone mention 'The Empire Strikes Back' is much different than the original StarWars and that was excellent transition in those movies. I hope the same will be true for Nolan's Batman movies.

And I have always been a proponent of change for the sequel with a complete BAtcave, computers and all, a new look for the Tumbler that reflects the Bat symbol, and even the suit looking more sleeker and I wouldn't mind it being Black and gray (very subtle though).

But I am a little concerned that TDK will reflect a "Chris Nolan" movie than a "Batman Movie" (which isn't neccessary a bad thing, I love All of Nolan's movie so far) like what Burton and Shcumacher did with there sequels.

Agreed, it will be great sequel and changes work well.

Don't worry, In Nolan We Trust ;)

Cinemaman said:
The funniest thing is that Latino Review says that Nolan said "No truth to that rumor" (talking about Sean Penn's rumor), while IESB says "no truth to any of those rumors" (talking about all rumours, which were mentioned in the interview).

Don't know who is right, but I trust LR more than IESB.
LR know something no-one else does I suspect
Cinemaman said:
October 20th for US, November 3rd (as I know) for UK and January 18th for Russia :(
SUH-WEET!

My Birthday!

I am really hepped up for the sequel now. Nolan has said everything perfect although some fans are overly afraid to put to much trust in Nolan, understandably so. We only need look at the past for that reasoning and I completely understand. However listen to the statements Nolan has made not only the statements from the involved parties in the project. A.) WB mandated that the visual style had to match begins for continuity perposes so we don't have to worry about that. B.) Nolan has been combing through comics to add fine touches to the script to bring the most accurate interpratation of the Dark Knight to film. C.) From all reports the Joker will be the most accurate interpretation of that character to be scene in live action. D.) Nolan and Goyer as we all know came up with the story. A comic based story that will please the fans seeing as Goyer is a huge fan and knows what to deliver. E.) I believe that when Nolan says "we are doing something different with the sequel" I believe that he is saying that it the main plot will be something we have never seen. And by that I mean I think that the villians plot will not involve Gotham City. I think this might be the first movie in the Batman franchise history that doesn't have Batman saving the City from doom but rather individuals that are in danger or even just foiling crime in general. In begins the risk to Gotham is what brought about the Batman and now he has to clean it up. That being the case the villians don't have to want to destroy all the citizens of Gotham but rather a more peronally plot that is really character based. When Gotham is in danger there isn't a personal investment in all the people of Gotham because you don't see their faces, it's more general. I could be way off base about all this but I feel that the sequel is going to blow us away, and we can all think of what is going to happen and speculate but we won't have any idea until the lights come back on in the theater after the movie is over and we can digest what was just viewed. In closing after this rant it basically just boils down to this...This movie is going to kick @$$

Well, I don't think this time Batman will be saving Gotham, because it is too predictable now.

I think Batman will be trying to balance crime and society, because Joker destroys it killing mob bosses, miilionairs and other people, who have political influence in the Gotham.

Joker wants to have the power over Gotham City.

So he destroys the most powerful balance to become the winner and the king of Gotham.

It would work.

IamBatty said:
No.. it didn't meant Phillippe as Pengiun ( although Nolan could had delibrate made it think he assumed Phillippe and Hoffman as Pengiun in his answer or delibrate avoid Phillippe's rumor..)

Note it said "Ryan Phillippe and Phillip Seymore Hoffman have been rumored to be in the running for Harvey Dent and the Penguin, respectively. Is there any validity here or pure speculation? “As the penguin, no, not true.”

It said "respectively" meaning "in that order", Phillippe running for Dent and Hoffman for Pengiun. And Nolan just answered for the pengiun rumor and not the Dent one.

Regarding "those rumor", at latinoreview.com, as i posted earlier, the word "those" is not there... it is "that rumor" referring to Penn's rumor.

http://www.latinoreview.com/news.php?id=915
Question: Any truth to any of these rumors about Phillip Seymore Hoffman or Ryan Phillipe…
Nolan: ….as the Penguin? (laughs) No.
Question: What about Sean Penn turning down Harvey Dent?
Nolan: No. No truth to that rumor. All interesting ideas though.
On IESB, it says he said there´s no truth to ANY of these rumors. Now which one is right? I dunno.

ultimatefan said:
On IESB, it says he said there´s no truth to ANY of these rumors. Now which one is right? I dunno.

I'd trust LR.

you know what we need? an audio clip of this interview.

Well, I don't think this time Batman will be saving Gotham, because it is too predictable now.

You know, I never really thought about that till now. But It's true, Every one of the Batman movies had him saving Gotham City.

In Tim Burton's first one, He saved it from Joker's cosmetic scare an smilex gas.
And then in 'Retrurns' from the Penguin's..uh, Penguin bomb squad.

In 'Forever', he save it from the Riddler's brain draining thing-a-mig and in 'B & R" from the giant Freeze Gun.

Even Begins had him saving Gotham from Scarecrow's Fear toxin.

Well at least in the 1967 movie, Batman and robin save the whole world by re-hydrating the 'World Nations consul.

I always paid more attention to the personal aspects of the movies (or sometimes the lack therefof) and not the relevence of the grand scheme of the villian becasue deep down I know BAtman will always stop it.

Well, I'm hoping with TDK the villian's 'grand scheme' takes on a more personal nature than Batman saving the city again.

Actually this is where the theme of 'the Killing Joke' would come in play quite well.

The Joker tries to get someone who is close to Batman and a rational person (like Gordan) and tries to make them go crazy because of "one bad day" like he did with his sadistic sick sense of humor only to have the person resolve his sanity after Batman saves them from the Joker's trap.

And maybe instead of shooting and paralyzing Barabar Gordan (as in TKJ) he does that to Rachel instead.

Darknightnomis said:
Lets be honest. Burton could make very faithful adaptation without all this crap (Batman-psycho? Joker killing Bruce's parents? Alfred taking Vale to Batcave?), but he didn't want to read comics. He thought that "The Dark Knight Returns" and "The Killing Joke" will be enough to prove fans his faith to comics. But it wasn't so.

Actually Burton has said that he took more from the 1930s Bob Kane First Batman story in how he wanted Batman to be represented in the film moreso than 'DKR' or 'Killing Joke' (they was used as inspiration for Anton Furst design of the gothic look for Gotham City) In that Batman would be a mysterious figure of the night and actually kill people.

Although the Batman being "phyco' or a counterpart to the Joker was definately a nod at 'The Killing Joke'.

With BR he could whatever he wanted to, yes. But again, like other director, he used the same formula with new vissual style to just draw away attention from not so good script.

I agree, but it was also becasue Anton Furst (the visual designer for BAtman '89) committed suicided before the making of Batman Returns. Which is why Gotham city has a more geometric design than the gothic look.

But Nolan was faithful to comics from the beginning of making BB. He put enough stuff from comic books in BB with help of Goyer.

Besides, Nolan was trying to make BB not only as good adaptation, but also as very serious and good movie, which makes sense.

Early 70s Denny 'O Neil and Neal Adams Ras AL Ghul stories + Year One + The Long Halloween = 'Batman Begins'

Which he has my eternal gratitude for.

The same he is going to do with TDK, BUT he will use another formula and new strategy. He will show development of this franchise. Maybe he wants to show new Batman (as more like detective) or just change something another in script. Yes, he wants TDK to be darker than BB, but I doubt he will change vissual style to draw attention from the script, which will is very good as we can say (LR were very positive about it). Goyer (story)+Nolan bros (dialogues)=Great script and thats all.

Hey i'm all for change. Change is good.

As someone mention 'The Empire Strikes Back' is much different than the original StarWars and that was excellent transition in those movies. I hope the same will be true for Nolan's Batman movies.

And I have always been a proponent of change for the sequel with a complete BAtcave, computers and all, a new look for the Tumbler that reflects the Bat symbol, and even the suit looking more sleeker and I wouldn't mind it being Black and gray (very subtle though).

But I am a little concerned that TDK will reflect a "Chris Nolan" movie than a "Batman Movie" (which isn't neccessary a bad thing, I love All of Nolan's movie so far) like what Burton and Shcumacher did with there sequels.

Great post. :up:

Cinemaman said:
Batman has never been psycho, and thats what Burton couldn't understand.

Batman has been perceived as being crazy by some, that he's just as wild as the villains he fights, but he chooses to fight for good. Burton understood that.

Darknightnomis said:
Actually this is where the theme of 'the Killing Joke' would come in play quite well.

The Joker tries to get someone who is close to Batman and a rational person (like Gordan) and tries to make them go crazy because of "one bad day" like he did with his sadistic sick sense of humor only to have the person resolve his sanity after Batman saves them from the Joker's trap.

And maybe instead of shooting and paralyzing Barabar Gordan (as in TKJ) he does that to Rachel instead.

Nah, I don't think it will happen.

Joker should warn ony one person, Harvey Dent, because he hurts his deal.

Besides, I want something new, something like Joker going to kill someone, who is very important person (not Dent) for all Gotham. I think you know about what I am talking right now?

The Sage said:
Batman has been perceived as being crazy by some, that he's just as wild as the villains he fights, but he chooses to fight for good. Burton understood that.

Oh really? Then, tell me, when Batman was like a wild animal or monster against his villians (not in their vision like it was in BB, but generally)?

He always had that serious and powerful look.

Of course he was very quick and powerful in fights, but in other scenes, he has never been so.

Burton showed Batman as strange psycho dressing every night as bat to kill bad guys. And that wasn't right.

Cinemaman said:
^^^

Yep, but where can we get it, if there is even one?

well first off were they allowed to bring any recording devices? they were doing the editing for a film, so i doubt that. unless the interview took place in another room.

if they were able to get an audio recording hopefully it will hit the net a few days down the line. hopefully.

Cinemaman said:
Oh really? Then, tell me, when Batman was like a wild animal or monster against his villians (not in their vision like it was in BB, but generally)?
Uh, HUSH? When he beats the living **** out of The Joker?

Boom said:
Uh, HUSH? When he beats the living **** out of The Joker?

I was talking about movies. And Hush wasn't published in 80s, when Burton made Batman.

Batman's not psycho but he is a bit mentally unbalanced.

"A guy dresses up like a bat clearly has issues." - Bruce Wayne in Batman Begins

Batman mental state was examinie more closely from the Frank Miller stuff of the mid-80s especially with Year One when batman states that "All sense left his life" when his parents were murdered in front of him.

And of course Alan Moore explored that further in 'The Killing Joke that bats and the Joker are 2 sides of the same coin and Grant Morrison really went all out with questioning Batman sanity in 'Arkum Asylum'.

But even before that (the great) Denny 'O Neil and (also great) Steve Engelhart, to a musch lesser degree, even had moments in their writing that question Batman sanity in the 1970s.

In the first Ras Al Ghul story, even Ras AL ghul question Batman emotional state becasue he didn't show any remorse or worry for Robins' "kidnapping" and in later issues Batman did threaten to kill Ras if he didn't stop his evironmental terrorist scheme.

And Steve Engelhart had one of the best qoutes to sum up Batman's "world" in the Laughing Fish storyline when he said tohimself: " Sometimes my world goes crazy."

And on another note, In the "Hush" storyline I LOVED it when BATMAN just went off and beat the crap out of the Joker!

batman614.jpg

Sometimes the Joker just needs a good beatin'!

Darknightnomis said:
"A guy dresses up like a bat clearly has issues." - Bruce Wayne in Batman Begins

Batman mental state was examinie more closely from the Frank Miller stuff of the mid-80s especially with Year One when batman states that "All sense left his life" when his parents were murdered in front of him.

And of course Alan Moore explored that further in 'The Killing Joke that bats and the Joker are 2 sides of the same coin and Grant Morrison really went all out with questioning Batman sanity in 'Arkum Asylum'.

But even before that (the great) Denny 'O Neil and (also great) Steve Engelhart, to a musch lesser degree, even had moments in their writing that question Batman sanity in the 1970s.

In the first Ras Al Ghul story, even Ras AL ghul question Batman emotional state becasue he didn't show any remorse or worry for Robins' "kidnapping" and in later issues Batman did threaten to kill Ras if he didn't stop his evironmental terrorist scheme.

And Steve Engelhart had one of the best qoutes to sum up Batman's "world" in the Laughing Fish storyline when he said tohimself: " Sometimes my world goes crazy."

And on another note, In the "Hush" storyline I LOVED it when BATMAN just went off and beat the crap out of the Joker!

batman614.jpg

Sometimes the Joker just needs a good beatin'!

Yeah, I'd love to see this rain fight between Batman and Joker from Hush in TDK :up:

Yeah, I'd love to see this rain fight between Batman and Joker from Hush in TDK

Yeah, that would be great! But for me, someone who likes to see the how certain evens affect the interaction of the characters, I would Also love to see the aftermath of this from that same Hush story when Commisioner Gordan had to stop Batman (with a gun pointing at Batman) from killing the Joker and then remind him how if he cross that line he will lead the hunt to bring Batmn in.

Now That would be a powerful scene.

Alco, Congrats CINEMAMAN on your 10grand posts!

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohkeelay
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"