Non-Violent Superhero. Is it possible?

November Rain

Single Mother
Reaction score
Is it possible to have a character rise up to the ranks of those of superman or spider-man that doesn't centre around violent means of dealing with criminals.

The separation of the term 'hero' and 'action' has me always getting back to the violent means in which these heroes tend to deal with the threats they face. And the bigger the threat, the greater the violence.

The reason i brought this up is that i've realised that when comparing film/cartoon/comics, the level of violence portrayed in them is usually an indication as to how much i enjoyed a story (direct positive corellation). Yet when i look back at some of my favourite tales, especially in western animation, the level of violence (from the hero) is practically nothing (real reference to 'Armed and Dangerous, 90s spidey episode).

It just strikes me as strange as some of the greatest fictional characters still believe after all this time that the best way to solve a problem is with their fist when time and time again it always solves nothing. I mean look at charles xavier, possibly one of the most peaceful individuals in the marvel universe, yet he still feels the need to have a militant group in order to deal with terror in a somewhat violent manner.

So it makes me wonder exactly how important is the violence when it comes to telling a story. Do you have any favourite supehero tales where there is no violence at all?

Would it be possible for the creation of a popular hero who (although he has violent and non violent rogues and has abilities to defend himself) doesn't inflict any violent acts on those against him. Would it ever work?

I mean now in most free roaming games since MGS 2 (or maybe even GTA 2) there is an opportunity to finish them without going down the violent path and killing others (which most people don't take). Does this show a dormant nature in us to wish to participate in simulated violence (whether as a voyuer(in film) or in a gaming experience)?

there's a lot there to think about, feel free to reply to the bits and bobs you desire.

Unless the hero has something along the lines of psychic abilities/power neutralising agents/tranquilisers etc, a degree of violence is necessary to defend himself/herself against violent criminals. If the hero is dealing with someone of superior ability he/she may also be forced to become the aggressor, against proven villains, to stand a chance of coming out on top.

Violence is certainly present in a large proportion of the books and comics I read and films that I watch and I admit it to finding it enjoyable, particularly when 'justifiably' dealt out by the hero. Within movies/books/comics, people often want spectacle as well as a good story and some form of combat gives the writer/filmmaker an obvious opportunity to provide this.

Ultimate Professor X is a non-violent superhero.

November Rain said:
yet he still feels the need to have a militant group in order to deal with terror in a somewhat violent manner.
:csad:

Yeah, but in at least the first 2 or 3 volumes of Ultimate X-Men (before I stopped reading) he was a real pacifist.

The bottom line is that we as audiences love to see justified violence.

Ronny Shade said:
Yeah, but in at least the first 2 or 3 volumes of Ultimate X-Men (before I stopped reading) he was a real pacifist.

The bottom line is that we as audiences love to see justified violence.
It's about time the lazy Prof took up ninjitsu :ninja: or something similar :up:

Violence is something that we like to see dished out to those that have done wrong. Even if the action wasn't violent, sometimes violence is used to punish them for it. Like some dude making comments about a female friend of yours, you may feel the urge to break his nose, even if he didn't physically attack you or her. Not always an eye for an eye, but that's just how it is.

If you want justified violence, there's nothing better than "The Protector." Go see it! :up:

Ronny Shade said:
Ultimate Professor X is a non-violent superhero.
ultimate x-men is one of few ultimate lines, i havent bothered ever picking up (bar ultimate war).

has he never used he mental abilities in an offensive manner before, violence need not only be seen as being inflicted physically

bibleman.jpg

Ronny Shade said:
If you want justified violence, there's nothing better than "The Protector." Go see it! :up:
Was that recommendation for my benefit?

Even if it wasn't, is that the Jackie Chan film (not that I've seen it)? I'll give it a go, unless it's something else (I may give it a go even if it is something else) or the recommendation was a general one and not for me. :yay: :cmad:

Iceman/Psylocke said:
Unless the hero has something along the lines of psychic abilities/power neutralising agents/tranquilisers etc, a degree of violence is necessary to defend himself/herself against violent criminals. If the hero is dealing with someone of superior ability he/she may also be forced to become the aggressor, against proven villains, to stand a chance of coming out on top.

Violence is certainly present in a large proportion of the books and comics I read and films that I watch and I admit it to finding it enjoyable, particularly when 'justifiably' dealt out by the hero. Within movies/books/comics, people often want spectacle as well as a good story and some form of combat gives the writer/filmmaker an obvious opportunity to provide this.
well psychic abilities can and have been used in a voilent manner...

I was thinking more along the route of the complete set of neutralising equipment myself.

the funny thing is that most people enjoy a villain getting the justified violence while i myself prefer the hero getting a beat down for sticking his nose where it didn't belong and past this, becoming triumphant in using brain over brawn to overcome a difficult situation.

perhaps not completely non-violent but certainly getting there...

I don't mind seeing villains being violent, it would however be nice to see a hero refraining.

perhaps because he has too much power so any violent contant would lead to a direct fatality.

kinda like how supes is always holding back but severly magnified...

The only times they may be remotely non-violent is if they're fighting a female villain, but even then if she's way too powered up, they'll come to blows if need be.

Iceman/Psylocke said:
Was that recommendation for my benefit?

Even if it wasn't, is that the Jackie Chan film (not that I've seen it)? I'll give it a go, unless it's something else (I may give it a go even if it is something else) or the recommendation was a general one and not for me. :yay: :cmad:
It was for anyone and everyone. It's the new Tony Jaa film.

November Rain said:
well psychic abilities can and have been used in a voilent manner...

I was thinking more along the route of the complete set of neutralising equipment myself.

the funny thing is that most people enjoy a villain getting the justified violence while i myself prefer the hero getting a beat down for sticking his nose where it didn't belong and past this, becoming triumphant in using brain over brawn to overcome a difficult situation.

perhaps not completely non-violent but certainly getting there...

I don't mind seeing villains being violent, it would however be nice to see a hero refraining.

perhaps because he has too much power so any violent contant would lead to a direct fatality.

kinda like how supes is always holding back but severly magnified...
Yes, I wasn't saying psychic abilities necessarily have to be used in a violent manner but they could be used to calm an opponent, although the morality behind this is ambiguous as illustrated by some of Xavier's dilemmas in the past.

If a hero refrains from violence when he is under attack, he will not last long and will be unable to further help whoever he is trying to protect. The avoidance of violence can only really be considered an option when the hero is superior and can think about holding back. Supes is a great example as he constantly has to bear in mind the damage he can do to non super powered beings in combat, having to think both for himself and his opponent.

Batman is a hero who I think uses more brains than brawn and also uses the ability to escape from superior foes. The ability of the hero to defend himself/herself and others is the only level of violence that is absolutely necessary. After that, the hero can think about alternative ways to overcome his opponent.

Let's face it. Superheroes are fascists. And since we're all insecure weaklings, we love em for it.

Ronny Shade said:
It was for anyone and everyone. It's the new Tony Jaa film.
Aah yes, I have now found it: Tom-Yum-Goong (also called Warrior King or The Protector).

I'll look out for it :up:

Iceman/Psylocke said:
Aah yes, I have now found it: Tom-Yum-Goong (also called Warrior King or The Protector).

I'll look out for it :up:
I think it mightve run it's course already and isnt in theaters anymore :(

Anyway, it's one of those movies "presented by Quentin Tarantino" when Quentin's bich-azz didn't have anything to do with it at all. and it's also "Soundtrack by The RZA" and RZA didn't do ****.

And I won't make any claims to it being a good movie, but the fight choreography is AMAZING. Long live the Jaa.

What about the Mutant Cypher who's power was to understand any language?

Yeah how's that going to stop a Sentinel on your ass. :rolleyes:

I don't recall the penultimate time I thought of a hero not being violent at all. :huh:

:woot:

Erzengel said:

he could learn the Sentinel word for LOVE.

Ronny Shade said:
I think it mightve run it's course already and isnt in theaters anymore :(

Anyway, it's one of those movies "presented by Quentin Tarantino" when Quentin's bich-azz didn't have anything to do with it at all. and it's also "Soundtrack by The RZA" and RZA didn't do ****.

And I won't make any claims to it being a good movie, but the fight choreography is AMAZING. Long live the Jaa.
I'm assuming it'll be available on DVD soon enough though?? I'm quite used to the heavy on martial arts/light on plot types so I should be ok with this.

Erzengel said:

He could flirt with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"