Non Western CGI films

Atharun

Chillin'
Reaction score
Here in the USA, CGI films tend to do well. With Pixar and Disney movies leading the group, others like Madagascar and Shrek have done very well too. One movie that failed to appeal to the market and was a financial failure was Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within. However I believe times have changed. With the surge in movies and topics that appeal to the more"geeky" (myself included), I think a second try is in order. When you compare The Western CGI movies to the more recent Eastern ones, there are some major differences. Most of the Disney/Pixar movies have astronomical budgest close to if not exceeding $100 million and require theatrical release. However since FF:SW, Eastern CGI has developed more. Movies like Appleseed:Ex Machina and Final Fantasy: Advent Children and Vexille can rival anything released here visually. Also many of these movies(FF movies aside) have much shorter developemnt times. The first Appleseed movie was done in a year I believe maybe a year and a half (I will have ot go back and listen to the DVD commentary. Appleseed : Ex Machina had a developemnt schedule of 2 years and the producers and directors had to fly to different continents to meet. This being said I would like to see more Anime/Eastern CGI movies aimed at those of us who want more than just family friendly movies, relased here in the USA. Do you think it is viable with the sci-fi/fantasy revival going on in the media now? Your thoughts please.

Most westerns do not have CGI, since most are older than 30 years.

Wow, just wow....when i said western I meant as in North America, and when i said eastern i meant as in Asia as was stated in my post. Western CGI being Disney/Pixar stuff, and Eastern being Japan stuff.

Don't worry, I understood you perfectly.

To be honest, though, I wouldn't expect too much "family friendly" CGI movies from Japan. Simply put, animation over there is generally targeted to a more mature audience (case in point - Hellsing Ultimate). Over here, animation is generally considered much more for children than adults, and so our CGI movies (coming from that animation tradition) reflect that in part.

Really, I would be surprised to find Japanese CGI films along the calibre of Marry Poppins or WALL-E to be made. If you ask me, I think the best chance you'd have is something more along the lines of Who Framed Roger Rabbit? as the friendliest movie. I'm not saying never, but their past work (which generally deals with more serious issues and is accordingly more mature-aimed) does seem to imply that they wouldn't go to that effort for a CGI movie.

That said, if they adapted Mega Man in that way, then you'd have what you asked for.

Oh, and in this nerd's opinion, Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within is awesome (and criminally underrated).

I agree it was highly under rated. But I think a movie liek Appleseed Ex Machina deserves to be released theatrically here. Just my opinion and I hope studios take a chance.

Yeah but Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within did not feel like a "true" Final Fantasy story to me and to many FF fans.

I would like to see a CGI western, now that the in-joke has passed. Honestly, that would be tight as hell.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"