NX - Nintendo's Next Generation Hardware Concept

Status
Not open for further replies.

XtremelyBaneful

xoxxxoooxo
Reaction score

I apologize if a thread like this was already made. It also fits in the misc section but the misc section itself is too broad for my taste, at least for this thread.

Anyways yeah, AMD announced they have a new contract with a customer, but we don't know with who. All we do know is that it will be for a game console.

People on the internets have suggested it might be for a new player. Samsung or Google were some names I saw but the former seems particularly unlikely in light of the recent PS Now deal they made with Sony.

Nintendo makes sense.

God Lord, XB, what the hell is suppose to be going on in this video? The ****...?

But this guy is stretching with a lot of assumption here. Not really worth a thread, should of put this in the gaming lounge or Wii U thread.

People on the internets have suggested it might be for a new player. Samsung or Google were some names I saw but the former seems particularly unlikely in light of the recent PS Now deal they made with Sony.

Nintendo makes sense.
Yeah count samsung out since they're joining psnow. Although you can't really tell these days... the interview is available on xbone, but not Ps4, you know.

God Lord, XB, what the hell is suppose to be going on in this video? The ****...?

But this guy is stretching with a lot of assumption here. Not really worth a thread, should of put this in the gaming lounge or Wii U thread.
HAHAHAHAHA... it's the goat simulator.

but anyways, I think myself and several others have differing opinions on whether certain topics are worth a new thread, and I sorta addressed it in the OP. The gaming lounge maybe, but I don't think it belongs in the wii u thread since it is about the next system.

But even so, it shouldn't be a big deal if a new thread is made. These forums don't get that much traffic as is. And I feel like ever since the whole -celebrity thing that happened around here, the forums have been overall less active, you know.

Well, I'll be honest, I think mainly this didn't really need a thread because this is a very weak video with no real substance. He's making a lot of assumptions with little besides a somewhat ambiguous quote, and he just rambles for the most part. It strikes as more of a bait video to get views more than anything worth talking about. The forum being inactive is a good reason why things should be streamlined I think.

I mean, yes, the Wii U thread is about the Wii U, but just over there now we were speculating about whether the next console will be BC at all, so it's not out of place. There's only about 7 active users here, so it's become kind of a psuedo-home console general discussion thread.

If they make such a dramatic shift, could the console be backwards compatible?

Such a dramatic shift to...what? All they would have to really do is make it compatible with a Gamepad to make the software compatible. If they can do that with the Wiimote, I don't see why it'd be so impossible with that. If their next console is successful, it would even mean they could potentially sell a slimmed down, cheap Gamepad as an accessory for those who never got a Wii U.

Well, I'll be honest, I think mainly this didn't really need a thread because this is a very weak video with no real substance. He's making a lot of assumptions with little besides a somewhat ambiguous quote, and he just rambles for the most part. It strikes as more of a bait video to get views more than anything worth talking about. The forum being inactive is a good reason why things should be streamlined I think.

I mean, yes, the Wii U thread is about the Wii U, but just over there now we were speculating about whether the next console will be BC at all, so it's not out of place. There's only about 7 active users here, so it's become kind of a psuedo-home console general discussion thread.
well, that video was just one source talking about the subject. I can provide more if you like. most people just like to watch stuff instead of reading is all, you know.

and i'm pretty sure there's more than 7 (or maybe before the -celebrity forums thing) there's you, me, t crack, x, pat, hippie killer, broseph, zenith, iceman, and marvolo. there's probably MORE, I gotta make sure to say that because last time I left someone off a list I made 'em mad, and I think that was you.
If they make such a dramatic shift, could the console be backwards compatible?
the wii u is BC... why wouldn't the rest be?

well, that video was just one source talking about the subject. I can provide more if you like. most people just like to watch stuff instead of reading is all, you know.

I've read about this already. Like I said, lots of baseless assuming. This is akin to people thinking Nintendo was going to release a new console when it was found out they were hiring people to work on. Most people either don't know, or don't realize, they begin base work on new consoles as soon as current ones are launched.

The odds of them releasing a new console in '16 is very low. The only way I see it is if it's something akin to this Quality of Life thing they've referenced and will not meant to be a gaming device in the traditional sense.

and i'm pretty sure there's more than 7 (or maybe before the -celebrity forums thing) there's you, me, t crack, x, pat, hippie killer, broseph, zenith, iceman, and marvolo. there's probably MORE, I gotta make sure to say that because last time I left someone off a list I made 'em mad, and I think that was you.
I have no idea what this celebrity forum thing you're talking about is. This board has been this dead for like 2 or more years.

And I did say active users. Half that list rarely post here. I'm talking posters who actually post consistently (hell, hippie hunter posts so infrequently I barely consider him a user). I think 7 is about right.

I've read about this already. Like I said, lots of baseless assuming. This is akin to people thinking Nintendo was going to release a new console when it was found out they were hiring people to work on. Most people either don't know, or don't realize, they begin base work on new consoles as soon as current ones are launched.

The odds of them releasing a new console in '16 is very low. The only way I see it is if it's something akin to this Quality of Life thing they've referenced and will not meant to be a gaming device in the traditional sense.
I wouldn't say the odds are low (remember xbox1 was abandoned pretty early and then came the massive successful 360) but I don't think it would be wise at this point. It would divide the crap out of consumers with the 2 already available new gen consoles and all the games that are already there for the wii u.
I have no idea what this celebrity forum thing you're talking about is. This board has been this dead for like 2 or more years.
I don't know that much about it either but what I can tell you is that one day lawyers came here and demanded that the celebrity forum, the one that used to be under the community forum, be deleted. and then they started banning everybody. x can tell you more about it, I dunno where he's at atm.
And I did say active users. Half that list rarely post here. I'm talking posters who actually post consistently (hell, hippie hunter posts so infrequently I barely consider him a user). I think 7 is about right.
OK, well I've only been here since 2 almost 3 years ago so to me this is generally an active board. it's just mostly about comic books and superheroes which yes that does mean nerds galore but even so not so much for video games.

I wouldn't say the odds are low (remember xbox1 was abandoned pretty early and then came the massive successful 360) but I don't think it would be wise at this point. It would divide the crap out of consumers with the 2 already available new gen consoles and all the games that are already there for the wii u.

The odds are very low when you take in to account Nintendo's past.

I don't know that much about it either but what I can tell you is that one day lawyers came here and demanded that the celebrity forum, the one that used to be under the community forum, be deleted. and then they started banning everybody. x can tell you more about it, I dunno where he's at atm.
I don't even know who you're talking about as "x".

OK, well I've only been here since 2 almost 3 years ago so to me this is generally an active board. it's just mostly about comic books and superheroes which yes that does mean nerds galore but even so not so much for video games.
Nah, the comic boards are deader than the game section. I've been here quite a bit longer, didn't post for a year when I was overseas, and when I came back this whole place had really died off.

The odds are very low when you take in to account Nintendo's past.
okay fine, I'm just taking into account another gaming console that didn't sell probably to the manufacturer's expectations and thus abandoned it fairly early to push its successor harder.
I don't even know who you're talking about as "x".
x knight man, who else could I be referring to? around here?
Nah, the comic boards are deader than the game section. I've been here quite a bit longer, didn't post for a year when I was overseas, and when I came back this whole place had really died off.

no way man! the batman, superman, and spiderman forums have hundreds of thousands of posts. unless you're saying that the whole shh forum overall is dying.

Last edited:
Well, I'm not familiar enough with the tech stuff, but all the other new consoles are incompatible. Then there's also the fact that the Wii U uses a unique disc format. I really hope Nintendo's next console uses Blu-ray.

Well, I'm not familiar enough with the tech stuff, but all the other new consoles are incompatible. Then there's also the fact that the Wii U uses a unique disc format. I really hope Nintendo's next console uses Blu-ray.

the wii u does not use dvds?

and blu ray is dying man. it will probably be irrelevant by 2016.

okay fine, I'm just taking into account another gaming console that didn't sell probably to the manufacturer's expectations and thus abandoned it fairly early to push its successor harder.

Again, Nintnedo's past: The Gamecube was a low seller, and it still lasted 5-6 on the shelf. Nitnendo is not Sega, they have never rapidly released hardware simply because one did not match expectations. The only real exception is the Virtual Boy, but I think that was always meant as a side project than a true successor to the NES.

x knight man, who else could I be referring to? around here?

God, I don't know, you just say x. I mean, that's just...x.

no way man! the batman, superman, and spiderman forums have hundreds of thousands of posts. unless you're saying that the whole shh forum overall is dying.

I meant the overall forum, and I was talking specifically about the comic boards, not the dedicated film boards. I don't know how active those are.

Pretty sure the Wii used a different disc than the Wii U? I may be wrong, but I don't think that'll be an issue since Wii U was backwards compatible with Wii.

No

Unless you expect all physical media to be irrelevant by 2016, this isn't remotely possible.

Again, Nintnedo's past: The Gamecube was a low seller, and it still lasted 5-6 on the shelf. Nitnendo is not Sega, they have never rapidly released hardware simply because one did not match expectations. The only real exception is the Virtual Boy, but I think that was always meant as a side project than a true successor to the NES.
OK yeah you're telling me more about nintendo. i suppose xbox1 was a different and unique case since that was m$'s first time in the gaming business.

God, I don't know, you just say x. I mean, that's just...x.
yeah man but you know i'm talking about a person who posts on this forum in the video game section...

I meant the overall forum, and I was talking specifically about the comic boards, not the dedicated film boards. I don't know how active those are.
the film forums are the ones I think that receive the most attention. and that's where the comics themselves may be discussed the most, talking about taking the source material and applying them to the movies as much as possible.

Unless you expect all physical media to be irrelevant by 2016, this isn't remotely possible.
well who knows? it could be. don't you see the world heading in that direction anyway?

yeah man but you know i'm talking about a person who posts on this forum in the video game section...

Yeah, it's still just x. I'm not going to snap to anyone specific over a single letter. It's like you referring to Matt Mortem as just m

the film forums are the ones I think that receive the most attention. and that's where the comics themselves may be discussed the most, talking about taking the source material and applying them to the movies as much as possible.

Maybe, I've always found dedicated film boards the cesspools of the hype, so even if those active I prefer to think of them as the million maggots feeding on a rotting corpse.

well who knows? it could be. don't you see the world heading in that direction anyway?

Digital is taking prominence, yeah, but no, I don't expect physical media to be gone by 2016.

Yeah, it's still just x. I'm not going to snap to anyone specific over a single letter. It's like you referring to Matt Mortem as just m
who's matt mortem? is he a member around here?

alright even then though, you said yourself there's like 7 people in the video games forum, and of the 7 i'm thinking you included x, so I thought if I said x, you would know who I meant...

Maybe, I've always found dedicated film boards the cesspools of the hype, so even if those active I prefer to think of them as the million maggots feeding on a rotting corpse.
lol wat???? why?????
Digital is taking prominence, yeah, but no, I don't expect physical media to be gone by 2016.
maybe not gone, but less and less people will care/pay about/for it, so its sales and popularity will decline, it may cease...

i don't want it to because i like having a collection, but hey... you know.

The Wii used a DVD-like proprietary format, and the Wii U used a blu-ray like proprietary format. Nintendo has always been rather obsessed with piracy, so they never used the actual formats. The official reason is that they don't want to pay royalties (Microsoft pays Sony a few dollars for every Xbox One they ship).

I do question if it's really worth the time and money to develop these proprietary formats. Not to mention that having blu-ray and DVD functionality could be a major selling point for the Wii U. Maybe with the Wii the piracy fear made sense, but now?

I don't see the blu-ray going anywhere at least as far as video games are concerned.

The Wii used a DVD-like proprietary format, and the Wii U used a blu-ray like proprietary format. Nintendo has always been rather obsessed with piracy, so they never used the actual formats. The official reason is that they don't want to pay royalties (Microsoft pays Sony a few dollars for every Xbox One they ship).

I do question if it's really worth the time and money to develop these proprietary formats. Not to mention that having blu-ray and DVD functionality could be a major selling point for the Wii U. Maybe with the Wii the piracy fear made sense, but now?

I don't see the blu-ray going anywhere at least as far as video games are concerned.

according to reviewtechusa, their proprietary formats are the reasons why n64, and gamecube both failed to measure up to playstation. and it's not like their hardware is 100% their own either... don't they use other companies' tech inside the wii u and other consoles?

who's matt mortem? is he a member around here?

He's one of the people who post in the Nintendo forums consistently. I mean, do you even know who usually posts here at all? I don't see how you don't know Matt's name.

alright even then though, you said yourself there's like 7 people in the video games forum, and of the 7 i'm thinking you included x, so I thought if I said x, you would know who I meant...

I literally just explained this to you. I don't know what else to say about it :huh:

lol wat???? why?????

Past experiences. I always found those forums were filled with the worst of the Hype. It may have changed, I don't know

maybe not gone, but less and less people will care/pay about/for it, so its sales and popularity will decline, it may cease...

i don't want it to because i like having a collection, but hey... you know.

If physical CDs are still sold, and still sell well enough that they get manufactored and stocked, Blu-ray will be around. If anything, I think may we'll see less DVDs by 2016, but physical media in general will be on shelves.

according to reviewtechusa, their proprietary formats are the reasons why n64, and gamecube both failed to measure up to playstation. and it's not like their hardware is 100% their own either... don't they use other companies' tech inside the wii u and other consoles?

Failed to measure up in what way exactly? I don't see what using other company's tech has to do with it. Each console developer uses other's tech.

But you missed the point of what was said. The point of doing that is that it cut costs. They don't have to pay royalties to anyone, and cutting out a DVD/Blu-ray player eliminates a cost in manufacturing. It's one of the reasons that, while even selling at $99, the Gamecube sold at a profit per system.

I read that Panasonic manufactures the Wii U's optical discs. Which makes sense. Panasonic also has rights to the blu-ray technology, but they aren't Sony.

The N64 and Gamecube were actually more powerful than their Sony competitors, but the cartridges and Gamecube discs limited the games. I think it's safe to say sales would have been a lot better if the Gamecube utilized DVD's. That was the PS2's main selling point and why it became the console of choice.

With the Gamecube at least, Nintendo handicapped itself due to piracy fears.

I read that Panasonic manufactures the Wii U's optical discs. Which makes sense. Panasonic also has rights to the blu-ray technology, but they aren't Sony.

The N64 and Gamecube were actually more powerful than their Sony competitors, but the cartridges and Gamecube discs limited the games. I think it's safe to say sales would have been a lot better if the Gamecube utilized DVD's. That was the PS2's main selling point and why it became the console of choice.

With the Gamecube at least, Nintendo handicapped itself due to piracy fears.

Not so safe to say, Xbox utilized DVDs and sold roughly the same as the GC. The piracy fears is only one side of the coin as well, as you seem to acknowledge, but then ignore. The GC could've been a huge flop financially had they used the, then very expensive, DVD technology which would've driven the manufacturing cost up significantly.

Did the Xbox have established series like Mario, Zelda, Star Fox and Metroid? Was Xbox a household name when it came out?

That's not a fair comparison.

I don't see how developing and employing a proprietary modified DVD drive would be so much cheaper than a conventional DVD drive. Sure, there are royalties, but the PS2 became the best selling console ever.

But hindsight is 20/20 I suppose.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"