Official 2007-08 NHL Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scott Hannan too.

I'm quite surprised, and incredibly pleased. :)
bf_new.gif

Michael Nylander and Viktor Kozlov sign with the Capitals.

Todd Bertuzzi goes to Anaheim.

Ducks get Schneider AND Bert from us. Damn. They are really stocking up! :wow:

But I'm pretty sure they won't repeat. It's a rarity in this day and age of the NHL.

We just signed Briere!

I think the 8 years is just too much. Having his buddy Biron apparently helped but what are the odds Biron will be there in 8 years? Philly is a graveyard for goalies. Hextall put a curse on that position when he left. Joe Thornton just signed a 3 year extension and he's a year younger than Briere. He's not going to win in Philly, the small speedy Frenchmen showed his true colors: greed.

Oilers sign Vanek to offer, Sabres match
The Edmonton Oilers made a huge splash in the restricted free agent pool, and the Buffalo Sabres were quick to calm the waters.

The Oilers signed forward Thomas Vanek to a seven-year, $50 million offer sheet, a signing that carried a price tag of four first round picks. Sabres general manager Darcy Regier called a media conference on Friday afternoon to announce that the team would match the offer.

The deal will pay Vanek $5 million in the first two seasons, and $6.4 million in each of the following five seasons. The contract will also pay him a $5 million and $3 million signing bonus in the first two years.

Vanek, drafted fifth overall by Buffalo in 2003, made $942,000 US last season. The native of Austria finished fifth in the league in goals with 43 and 19th in points with 84 in only his second NHL campaign. In two seasons with the Sabres, Vanek has registered 68 goals and 64 assists in 163 career games.

He has also accumulated eight goals and four assists in 26 career playoff games.

The Vanek signing marks the second time in as many years that a team has tried to land another club's restricted free agent. Last year, the Philadelphia Flyers offered Ryan Kesler a $1.9 million US deal that was easily matched by the Vancouver Canucks.

It has been a tough off-season for the Sabres, who have already lost forwards Chris Drury, Daniel Briere and Dainus Zubrus, all of whom were unrestricted free agents. Drury signed a $35.25-million, five-year deal with the New York Rangers, Briere signed a $52-million, eight-year contract with Philadelphia while the New Jersey Devils signed Zubrus to a $20.4-million, six-year deal.

This would've been the move to make if Drury or Briere had signed but with both of them gone I didn't see Buffalo parting ways and accepting four first rounders. Still Vanek could end up a bust. Oilers are trying.

Senators also announced John Paddock as their head coach. No surprise. Now we need to trade Gerber, sign Emery.

Oilers sign Vanek to offer, Sabres match

This would've been the move to make if Drury or Briere had signed but with both of them gone I didn't see Buffalo parting ways and accepting four first rounders. Still Vanek could end up a bust. Oilers are trying.

I personally think Lowe is a ****ing genious for that move. He's just showing that there are other options besides spending ridiculous amounts of money on certain free agents. I mean, Oilers got totally screwed in the free agent frenzy (that Michael Nylander thing just makes me sick) and this whole thing just brings up a whole new bag for the NHL....

vanek a bust? are you serious? do you watch hockey?

Yes I had him on my fantasy hockey team and I've seen plenty of guys have a great season, sign a new contract and never reach the points total or potential they previously had. Vanek doesn't have to play great hockey for the next six years until his contract is up. So its a bit of a risk on Buffalo to invest seven years, the pressure will be on him to produce after losing their co-captains.

Former Conn Smythe winner Brad Richards goes from scoring 91 points, signs a 5 year extension then puts out 70 points last season. He had the 2nd highest salary but was tied for 40th for most points.

you are comparing richards to vanek? first of all richards is much, much older. vanek is in his 3rd year going to dominate for years to come. sorry but i dont trust your fantasy hockey league smarts.

you are comparing richards to vanek? first of all richards is much, much older. vanek is in his 3rd year going to dominate for years to come. sorry but i dont trust your fantasy hockey league smarts.

4 years is much, much older? Vanek will be good but enough to justify the seven year

Well I've won three fantasy hockey leagues in the past two seasons.

In a radio interview in Buffalo, the Austrian-born Vanek was excited to remain in Buffalo and eager to play up to the expectations that come with his new contract.

"I left Austria when I was 14 years old, and my dream wasn't to sign a $50 million contract," Vanek said. "My dream was to play in the NHL and be one of the best players and win a Stanley Cup and that's still the main goal. Money's not going to buy you a Stanley Cup ... I'm ready to prove myself even more than I did last year."

The Oilers move was not unprecedented, but still considered a bold one in how much the team was willing to spend knowing the Sabres had the right to match.

The Sabres retained Vanek's rights by issuing him a qualifying offer last month, but the player -- as a Group 2 free agent -- was open to negotiating other deals. Had the Sabres not matched Edmonton's offer, the Oilers would have had to give up four first-round draft picks to Buffalo as compensation.

Draft pick compensation is based on the offer's average annual salary. Four first-round picks is the maximum compensation, required for any team that makes an offer of more than $5 million a year.

Vanek, who made $942,400 last season in the final year of his rookie contract, will make $10 million next season, including a $5 million signing bonus. He'll make $8 million in 2008-09, including a $3 million bonus, and then $6.4 million in each of the final five years of the deal.

The Sabres had every intention of retaining Vanek, particularly when they were still stinging after losing both co-captains on Sunday, when Briere signed with Philadelphia and Drury with the New York Rangers.

Learning of the Oilers' interest in Vanek on Thursday, the Sabres went as far as to warn Lowe that any offer he made would be matched.

"I suppose you have to assume they thought we were bluffing," Regier said. "What this amounted to was an exercise in futility."

Warnings aside, Lowe was confident the Oilers had a good chance to land Vanek.

"This wasn't a publicity stunt by any stretch," Lowe said. "We had our reasons internally that we thought it might work."

Sabres should've signed this guy on July 2nd, and now they're paying for it. Vanek says he wants to win a Stanley Cup but he still signed the contract to play in Edmonton for 7 years... I'm just saying these long term contracts are going to bite a few teams in the ass. Vanek has one great year and suddenly he's guaranteed to justify the huge contract?

Another Outdoor Game
NHL Sources: Game At The Ralph?
Nick Mendola - Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 5:55 AM

(WGR 550) - Multiple NHL sources have told WGR that the Sabres are in line for a potential New Year's Day game at Ralph Wilson Stadium.

Another source, the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review reports that the Penguins have agreed to be the visiting team for such a contest, with Buffalo and Detroit as possible homes. It's also reporting that NBC is tentatively calling the event, "The Ice Bowl."

Sounds great. Mario and the Penguins from the 90s vs. La-La-La-La-La Fontaine and the Sabres from the 80s/90s in a Mega Stars game before the actual one. If Messier was allowed to play in the Mega Stars game while he was a current NHL player then current ex-Sabres and ex-Penguins could also suit up for the short alumni game.

Then onto the actual game with the two high scoring teams. It would be a great boost to the NHL in America and would be cool if The Ice Bowl became an annual event in the NHL calendar. About 18 teams could host it (unless Winnipeg comes back to the league.

I went to the Heritage Classic at Commonwealth Staduim, this is an event that every hockey fan should expierence.

2007-2008 Schedule
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/feature/?fid=9186

Canadian Press

7/11/2007 8:10:26 PM

The NHL is opening its 90th season in the birthplace of the Stanley Cup.

The Anaheim Ducks and the Los Angeles Kings will become the first teams in league history to play regular-season games in Europe when they meet Sept. 29 and 30 in London. It was in England's capital 115 years ago that the championship trophy was purchased at the Regent Street shop of silversmith G. R. Collis and Co.

The Ottawa Senators and the Toronto Maple Leafs open with a midweek home-and-home set at Air Canada Centre on Oct. 3 and at Scotiabank Place on Oct. 4.

The Montreal Canadiens play their first game Oct. 3 at Carolina and are in Toronto on Oct. 6 and Pittsburgh on Oct. 10 before playing their home opener Oct. 13 against the Hurricanes.

Edmonton, Calgary and Vancouver each play their first two games at home. The Oilers face San Jose on Oct. 4 and Philadelphia on Oct. 6; the Flames meet Philadelphia on Oct. 4 and Vancouver on Oct. 6; and the Canucks take on San Jose on Oct. 5 and Philadelphia on Oct. 10.

Teams in the Northwest Division don't play teams in the Northeast Division at all next season, meaning the Leafs, Habs and Sens won't be appearing in Edmonton, Calgary and Vancouver, and vice versa.

League MVP Sidney Crosby and his Penguins play their first game in Canada next season in Toronto in a Hockey Night In Canada show Oct. 13. They play in Ottawa on Nov. 22 and at Toronto again on Dec. 1. They swing through Western Canada for games at Edmonton on Dec. 5, Calgary on Dec. 6 and Vancouver on Dec. 8. Their remaining games in Canada are Jan. 19 and Feb. 21 at Montreal and March 1 at Ottawa.

The Ducks fly home to play three more road games _ at Detroit, Columbus and Pittsburgh _ before hoisting their championship banner in their home opener against Boston on Oct. 10.

The New Jersey Devils play nine games on the road before their first in their new 17,625-seat arena in Newark, N.J. The Senators will supply the opposition.

The annual Hall of Fame Game is Nov. 10 in Toronto between the Leafs and the New York Rangers. Ron Francis, Al MacInnis, Mark Messier and Scott Stevens will be inducted two nights later.

The all-star game is scheduled for Sunday, Jan. 27, in Atlanta.

Hockey Day In Canada on Feb. 9 will include four games involving the six Canadian-based clubs. Detroit will be in Toronto for an afternoon game, Montreal is at Ottawa and Calgary is home to Edmonton. Colorado is at Vancouver in the late game.

The only rematch between the Stanley Cup finalists will take place March 3 when Ottawa is at Anaheim, the scene of the Sens' Game 5 championship series demise.

The 2008 playoffs will begin April 9 and will end no later than June 9, the league announced.

Notable Dates:

October 6 - The Leafs and Canadiens renew their rivalry on a Saturday night.
October 13 - Sidney Crosby makes his season debut in Canada against the Maple Leafs.
October 20 - Alexander Ovechkin and the Capitals play host to Crosby and the Penguins.
October 20 - The Battle of Alberta begins with Calgary hosting Edmonton.
October 23 - Ryan Smyth returns to Edmonton for the first time in a visitor's uniform.
October 27 - The Devils play their first home game against the Senators as the Prudential Center opens.
November 10 - The New York Rangers visit the Toronto Maple Leafs for the annual 'Hall of Fame' game.
November 22 - The Ottawa Senators host Sidney Crosby and the Penguins.
December 5 - Sidney Crosby and the Penguins face the Oilers in Edmonton.
December 6 - The Penguins make their lone stop in Calgary.
December 8 - Crosby and the Penguins finish up their Western Canada trip in Vancouver.
January 19 - Sidney Crosby makes his season debut against his favourite childhood team, the Montreal Canadiens.
January 26-27 - All-Star weekend in Atlanta
March 3 - The Ducks host the Senators in a rematch of the 2007 Stanley Cup Final.
April 9 - The Stanley Cup playoffs begin.
June 9 - The latest date for the playoffs to end.

I think the Wings need to be moved East, and the Pens should go to KC. I was so damn tired of staying up until 12-1 AM everytime the Wings played away playoff games :cmad:

I think the Wings need to be moved East, and the Pens should go to KC. I was so damn tired of staying up until 12-1 AM everytime the Wings played away playoff games :cmad:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Hockey_League#Teams

Atlanta should go, they are closer.

But yes it must suck, they've been the best team (in the regular season) for the past 15 years.

A team in Winnipeg and Kansas City would push Detroit or Columbus to the East. Another Eastern team has to relocate to the West I think for Detroit to finally play in the right conference since Columbus is farther east.

I want the Wings in the East. They deserve it.

The trouble is most of the teams are in the eastern or central time zones. Maybe dividing conferences as north and south instead, so that all teams have a more equitable travel schedule is a better solution.

dont you dare say that about the pens. first of all kansas does not deserve hockey, and we fought so hard to make a deal work here.

if you notice those 'notable dates' over half involve the great one sid the kid.

and no way will the outdoor game bring any i mean ANY fans to hockey, its being played on january 1st, which if you watch college football, is a GINORMOUS (like that new word eh?) day for bowl games. no way will they be able to pull anyone away, however i will certainly be watching any/all sports.

dont you dare say that about the pens. first of all kansas does not deserve hockey, and we fought so hard to make a deal work here.

if you notice those 'notable dates' over half involve the great one sid the kid.

and no way will the outdoor game bring any i mean ANY fans to hockey, its being played on january 1st, which if you watch college football, is a GINORMOUS (like that new word eh?) day for bowl games. no way will they be able to pull anyone away, however i will certainly be watching any/all sports.

Fought hard? Fans stayed away. The building never sold out until the threat of the team moving was real. This is after having Crosby. After Malkin.

As for the notable dates, its a Canadian Press article, most of the Canadian media has had a hard on for Sid since he was 14.

Well after the lockout and then having national games downgraded to Versus, I'm sure there are many former hockey fans who would tune to see players they watched in the 80s/90s in an alumni game outside and then seeing an outdoor game and this Crosby kid. Also the Heritage Classic wasn't shown in America until a week after it happened, on ESPN. Yeah people in Florida won't tune in but people in traditional hockey markets might tune in. If they gain 10,000 fans American fans, that's a boost.

The trouble is most of the teams are in the eastern or central time zones. Maybe dividing conferences as north and south instead, so that all teams have a more equitable travel schedule is a better solution.

Bettman shot that down because the networks that still carry hockey would lose viewers if people in the east didn't stay up to watch and people in the west wouldn't be home in time to see half the game.

The Honda Center wasn't even full at the start of games in the Finals due to the early starting time and traffic. I can't remember the last time an arena wasn't full to start a game in the Finals.

The US Government could just change Detroit and Columbus to the central time zone.

OR move Atlanta, Florida and Washington to western North American cities.

watch the alumni game? you are psycho... those football games are all day, not just prime time, all day. and did you happen to research that little deal? theres backhanded dealings in congress and once that ass clown in philly gave the deal (gambling deal) to someone who would pay for the arena in installments over years, instead of now like two other suitors were promising, people started to see they had to do something. and it just so happened we went on that 16 game scoring streak, so it worked out well for all.

watch the alumni game? you are psycho... those football games are all day, not just prime time, all day. and did you happen to research that little deal? theres backhanded dealings in congress and once that ass clown in philly gave the deal (gambling deal) to someone who would pay for the arena in installments over years, instead of now like two other suitors were promising, people started to see they had to do something. and it just so happened we went on that 16 game scoring streak, so it worked out well for all.

How long did he try to get an arena deal done? 7 years?

Psycho?
The alumni game will be 40-50 minutes with dragged out intros. So the American sports fan suddenly has no interest in their former favourite players?
So there is no former hockey fan or the millions of casual sports fans who don't watch the Bowl Games, who cheered on the Penguins in the 90s who wouldn't have the slightest interest in seeing Mario again? Or perhaps curious to see an outdoor game in the middle of winter infront of 75,000 diehard hockey fans? Man what the **** happened to hockey in America? The original outdoor game was the most watched regular season hockey game in Canada. Like I said if the NHL can win 10,000 American fans back or increase interest in the northern markets than its a boost.

My word, is it possible for that article kiss Crosby's butt anymore than it is?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Otewe2001
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"