Official 2007-08 NHL Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Iggy gets goal 50.

Linden's retirement is a bit sad. Flames did the classy thing and shook his hand.

Yeah... really nice touch by the Flames organization...

Also as classy, HNiC giving Linden the first star. :up:

Decent game for the Flames, and hopefully some confidence to build on for the playoffs.

Also a very classy game for both teams. A bit worried for the 'Nucks for next season. I have to wonder if they are going to rebuild if rumours are true that they won't be going to resign Naslund. Who's left after him? Sedins are still fairly inconsistent and leadership in the room? It'll be an interesting off season for them.

Overall, this is building up to be quite the playoffs this year :D I can't wait!

Decent game for the Flames, and hopefully some confidence to build on for the playoffs.

Also a very classy game for both teams. A bit worried for the 'Nucks for next season. I have to wonder if they are going to rebuild if rumours are true that they won't be going to resign Naslund. Who's left after him? Sedins are still fairly inconsistent and leadership in the room? It'll be an interesting off season for them.

Overall, this is building up to be quite the playoffs this year :D I can't wait!

there will be no major rebuild for the vancouver canucks. no one likes to use injuries as an excuse, but when you lose 130+ man games to injuries on the blueline alone, especially on a team that is built from the net out, you are not going to be very successful over the long NHL season.

nazzy may not be back next year, and the sentiment in vancouver is that while he used to be a great player, it is time for him to move on. unless he signs for a number under 3 million and the captaincy is taken from him. nazzy is still a 25 goal scorer and a 50pt player, but he is on the decline, and this city questions his leadership, his heart. he has looked invisible for a good chunk of the season and has not been able to score big goals or lead this team to victory. same goes with morrison... although i think if morrison signed for somewhere around 2.5-2.8 million i would not mind having him back. he is a consistent 20 goal centerman and in today's NHL that is a bargain, especially because he would most likely take a hometown discount.

that being said, we have the foundation for a great team. we have the best goaltender in the world, a balanced and deep blueline (when healthy) and some core forwards like the sedins and ryan kesler, who really stepped it up this season and emerged as a premier defensive forward who can also pot 21 goals.

what the canucks need to do is pick up at least 2 impact forwards in free agency or via trade this offseason. on my wish list? ryan malone, radim vrbata, kristian huselius, daymond langkow. i would also not mind seeing a trade involving bieksa and maybe a pick for either vermette or jeff carters rights as it looks like their respective teams will not be re-signing them.

on another note... my favorite player said goodbye to the game tonite, and i want to take a minute to pay tribute to #16 on the sweater, but #1 in our hearts, Trevor Linden. You cant really understand unless you live here, and have grown up watching this team, how much Trevor means to this city. The man is literally a god in Vancouver. There is nothing more that i would have wanted to see than Linden raise the Stanley Cup with Vancouver on his sweater... i think if that happened i wouldnt be able to hold back getting teary eyed... but it looks like we will never see it.

heroes are remembered, but legends never die.

#16 Trevor Linden Forever Our Canuck.

Linden.jpg

Yay to Linden...I used to hate him with a passion, only cuz he played so well against the Flames, but he exudes passion for the game and you can just tell that people respect him. I wish him all the best!

I guess it'll be an interesting offseason for the Canucks whether they do rebuild, or not. Do you think they'll try to sign Naslund and then trade him? He probably still has some value in the market and to just let him walk away for nothing seems wasted.

I would still question the Sedins though...they show they can play, but when it comes to the playoffs, they tend to disappear...if they can show some consistency in the post season, I think the 'Nucks will be ok.

And after last night, it looks like he'll be retiring...

The only question is will it be:

San Jose vs. Calgary/Colorado
Minnesota vs. Calgary/Colorado

Yeah, I'm waiting on the Minnesota/Colorado game and the Pittsburgh/Philadelphia game to make my final
predictions. I already know how I'll pick it:

If it's Minnesota/Colorado I will be picking - Colorado
If it is Minnesota/Calgary I will be picking - Minnesota

If anyone else wants in, I need to know before the start of the playoffs.

When doing your picks PM me.

I'll need winners of each game, how many games it takes and the winner of each series.

Ex. Anaheim in 6. 1.) Ducks 2.) Ducks 3.) Stars 4.) Stars 5.) Ducks 6.) Ducks

I'm figuring out a point system for the pool. I'll post it on here before the playoffs start so you can keep track of how many points you have. Any questions?

Edit: I'll also PM everyone for reminders.

I suspect that the reasoning behind picking each game is for tiebreaker purposes?

I expect the Flyers to beat the Capitals in the first round.

Brackets are set.

EASTERN CONFERENCE
1. Montreal v 8. Boston
2. Pittsburgh v 7. Ottawa
3. Washington v 6. Philadelphia
4. New Jersey v 5. New York

WESTERN CONFERENCE
1. Detroit v 8. Nashville
2. San Jose v 7. Calgary
3. Minnesota v. 6. Colorado
4. Anaheim v 5. Dallas

I suspect that the reasoning behind picking each game is for tiebreaker purposes?

Not really. I'll probably have everyone pick scores for the Stanley Cup Finals for tiebreaking procedure and who wins the Conn Smythe Trophy. Hopefully their isn't a tie cause I don't want to go through all that.

Here are my picks, for public consumption:

EASTERN CONFERENCE
Round One:
1. Montreal over 8. Boston(4-2)
2. Pittsburgh over 7. Ottawa(4-0)
3. Washington over 6. Philadelphia(4-2)
5. New York over 4. New Jersey(4-1)

Round Two:
5. New York over 1. Montreal(4-3)
3. Washington over 2. Pittsburgh(4-2)

Eastern Conference Finals:
5. New York over 3. Washington(4-0)

WESTERN CONFERENCE
Round One:
1. Detroit over 8. Nashville(4-0)
2. San Jose over 7. Calgary(4-3)
6. Colorado over 3. Minnesota(4-3)
4. Anaheim over 5. Dallas(4-3)

Round Two:
1. Detroit over 6. Colorado
2. San Jose over 4. Anaheim

Western Conference Finals:
1. Detroit over 2. San Jose(4-2)

STANLEY CUP FINALS
Detroit Red Wings over New York Rangers(4-3)

NewYork Would not beat Washington that badly....Ovechkin would give the flame of eternal damnaition upon them. they would cower in fear and shoot pucks into there own nets

If anyone else wants in, I need to know before the start of the playoffs.

When doing your picks PM me.

I'll need winners of each game, how many games it takes and the winner of each series.

Ex. Anaheim in 6. 1.) Ducks 2.) Ducks 3.) Stars 4.) Stars 5.) Ducks 6.) Ducks

I'm figuring out a point system for the pool. I'll post it on here before the playoffs start so you can keep track of how many points you have. Any questions?

Edit: I'll also PM everyone for reminders.

I was going to send a PM, but I might as well make my stupidity public...

Do you just want the first round picks as mentioned above (who wins in how many games and mention which games they won), or do you want picks from the first round all the way to the Finals?

:yay:

my picks

EAST

1] Montreal (4)
8] Boston (0)

2] Pittsburgh (4)
7] Ottawa (3)

3] Washington (4)
6] Philadelphia (2)

4] New Jersey (4)
5] New York (2)

1] Montreal (4)
4] New Jersey (3)

2] Pittsburgh (4)
3] Washington (1)

1] Montreal (4)
2] Pittsburgh (2)

WEST

1] Detroit (4)
8] Nashville (3)

2] San Jose (4)
7] Calgary (2)

3] Minnesota (2)
6] Colorado (4)

4] Anaheim (4)
5] Dallas (1)

1] Detroit (1)
6] Colorado (4)

2] San Jose (4)
4] Anaheim (3)

2] San Jose (4)
6] Colorado (2)

STANLEY CUP CHAMPION: San Jose Sharks over Montreal Canadiens, 4-1

my picks

EAST

1] Montreal (4)
8] Boston (0)

2] Pittsburgh (4)
7] Ottawa (3)

3] Washington (4)
6] Philadelphia (2)

4] New Jersey (4)
5] New York (2)

1] Montreal (4)
4] New Jersey (3)

2] Pittsburgh (4)
3] Washington (1)

1] Montreal (4)
2] Pittsburgh (2)

WEST

1] Detroit (4)
8] Nashville (3)

2] San Jose (4)
7] Calgary (2)

3] Minnesota (2)
6] Colorado (4)

4] Anaheim (4)
5] Dallas (1)

1] Detroit (1)
6] Colorado (4)

2] San Jose (4)
4] Anaheim (3)

2] San Jose (4)
6] Colorado (2)

STANLEY CUP CHAMPION: San Jose Sharks over Montreal Canadiens, 4-1

I can't really disagree with your Eastern Conference picks, other than Ottawa taking Washington seven games. Without Alfredsson they'll be lucky to go five.

As for the West, all I can say is that it is evident you don't like Detroit. I was shocked to see you had Nashville taking them seven games and even more shocked that you had Colorado beating them in five. Still, not bad picks.

Wow, I'm surprised that a lot of people are taking the Caps over Philly. Last time I checked, the Flyers ain't no pushover and are playing hot hockey too. Should be a very close series.I see the Flyers taking the series 4-2.

I can't really disagree with your Eastern Conference picks, other than Ottawa taking Washington seven games. Without Alfredsson they'll be lucky to go five.

As for the West, all I can say is that it is evident you don't like Detroit. I was shocked to see you had Nashville taking them seven games and even more shocked that you had Colorado beating them in five. Still, not bad picks.

haha

i am not sold on detroits goaltending. also, the red wings have not had amazing post season success lately, despite their great regular season records. 1st rnd exit by edmonton, 2nd rnd exit by calgary, 1st rnd exit to anaheim... their players are only that much older and i dont think they will be able to handle the grind of the post season.

zetterberg and datsyuk also have a tendency to dissapear in the post-season. nashville is a team that has nothing to lose and could cause problems for the Wings.

As far as the Avs, they are my dark horse team this year. They definitely have the skill up front and the deadline acquisitions of foote & salei solidified their blueline. Their x-factor, imo, is gonna be Theodore. If he can get hot, watch out for Colorado.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"