Official Film Recommendations Thread

Some actor's talents are evident no matter what they appear in. Even in films that are mediocre or just bad, they still manage to shine. Robert Downey Jr. was always a force to be reckoned with in the world of on screen performance, even when taking the part in a digestible trifle like this 1987 film, produced by Warren Beatty and directed and written by James Tobak and with a cast around him that includes Molly Ringwald as his love interest, Danny Aiello and Denis Hopper. Downey is a buzzing, never short on verbiage young man on the make for loving where ever he may find it. Ringwald is the young woman that doesn't quite fall for his line of BS. It's funny how you look back at this film and see that they didn't need to butter you up too much to get into RDJ's character. This isn't about "meet cute". It's about a young man that wants to sow his oats, and it's kinda refreshing in comparison to today. Ringwald is captivating in the way that young woman you never get the courage up to speak to is. Something else refreshing is that these characters aren't written or acted as though they are teenagers in adult bodies, but "young" adults, with the issues adults face (RDJ's grandmother in the film is a perfect example). Now... Am I putting this in the league of classics like SAY ANYTHING? Well... No. but it's entertaining and has characters that aren't simply rom com cutouts, and the talent assembled is quite good, with Downey of course dominating the screen. From 1987... THE PICK UP ARTIST:[YT]wPFQXwamkw0[/YT]

I don't care what anyone says... I have such a soft spot in my heart for this film, in all it's wacky yet groan inducing ways. Written and directed by Denis Feldman, and starring Jim Belushi and John Ritter, it's an odd duck of a comedy, but I have always really liked it. Half spoof, half buddy comedy, in some ways I think it would have been a better fit closer to fifteen years after it came out. Belushi is the CIA's number one agent, and he is assigned to get Ritter, an ineffectual and emasculated suburban dad, to an appointed place across the country for the most ludicrous mission imaginable (hint... ALIENS). Along the way they bond, get stock tips from the KGB, make guns out of things you'd find in your garage, reveal how fruit pies will outlive human civilization and make out with WWII veterans that have had sex change operations. Belushi is actually the most engaging and fun as he's ever been (or ever will be I am guessing) here and Ritter shows why he was such a versatile talent, capable of being both wild card and straight man at the same time. Also of note is the film's score by Miles Goodman, which is almost a character itself in the film. From 1987... REAL MEN:[YT]n0KNTahw-DY[/YT]

In the 1980's there was a real and palpable fear of a Nuclear War between the Soviets and the U.S. in the culture of the country at large and indeed through the rest of the world, and while there are some similarities with the post September 2001 world and the atmosphere of free floating fear that got injected into almost everything, the truth as I see is that while there are indeed terrorists of Islamic origin that want to do us harm and have succeeded, that there was a VAST overreaction that was fueled by opportunistic politicians. This is in contrast to the Cold War era where the threat to the entirety of the human race in general and to the U.S. in particular on an existential level was quite legitimate. These fears were very much integrated into and sometimes diffused in the pop culture of the era, and produced a some varied and entertaining movies. In 1983, the idea of home, desk top computing was quite new, and few really had a handle on that burgeoning culture, certainly not in a realistic way. This film comes closest and also plays into the zeitgeist at the time. Matthew Broderick plays a High School student that gets in over his head, Ally Sheedy plays his friend and love interest, with Dabney Coleman, Barry Corbin and John Wood rounding out the cast. Broderick is an early hacker and his interest in finding out how he can get into various systems for his own amusement sends him down a rabbit hole that might lead to World War III. Well made all around, of special note to me is that Broderick and Sheedy feel like real kids during that time. I remember that period's teen/High School films and always felt that even the best of them felt fake in too many respects, especially in casting. Not so here. Also of note, is that while the subject matter is pretty heavy, the film still gives off an entertaining and adventurous tone while never sliding into something so airy light that the plot and characters have no substance. Directed by John Badham... WARGAMES: [YT]hbqMuvnx5MU[/YT]

An underrated or just these days unseen gem of a thriller from 1987 that truly lives and dies by the charisma and talents of it's two leads. James Woods was at the height of his on screen powers and Brian Dennehy matches him in this taught down and dirty tale of a cop, played by Dennehy, that finds himself involved with a man that is a hired assassin. Truly, the duo at the heart of the film elevates every aspect that they are directly involved in. On a personal note, some of the film was shot in and around Times Square during it's truly seedy days. My great uncle ran an arcade in that area and they filmed some scenes there. He said that both Dennehy and Woods were super cool. Directed by John Flynn... BEST SELLER:[YT]svPB-8Zbyb8[/YT]

In 1973 E.B. White's timeless classic story of a pig who befriends a spider was finally adapted to film by HANNA-BARBERA, creating what many consider another children's classic, this time an animated film. It's hard for me to argue with that sentiment. The film follows the original tale mostly and I think can be useful in helping teach children about the ways of life, even when it is painful. With songs with quite the pedigree and a talented voice cast that includes Debbie Reynolds, Henry Gibson, Paul Lynde and Agnes Moorehead, the film though short has and old fashioned charm that the very young will enjoy I think. Directed by Charles A. Nicholes and Iwao Takamoto... CHARLOTTE'S WEB:[YT]QH2vwaiEHRY[/YT]

Don Bluth's THE SECRET OF NIMH had many fans... Including legendary director Steven Spielberg, who wanted to collaborate with Bluth on a project that would be an animated telling of the immigrant story in America. The result was a film that made quite the splash back in the day, but I think it's not quite held up as the classic it is. Perhaps it being an animated film that was made outside the Disney Studio has something to do with it? In any case, Bluth and Spielberg made a beautiful animated story which just tugs on your heartstrings but also dazzles in that the animation has such detail and life to it. Also containing some fun musical numbers as well as a showstopping song in the James Horner arranged Somewhere Out There (also sung by Linda Ronstadt and James Ingram which itself became a big hit) the film was a big cultural force at the time. I think perhaps this is a case where the sequel sort of killed fan's enthusiasm for the original... Maybe? No matter, the film is entertaining and sentimental in the best way and a treat for all ages. From 1986... AN AMERICAN TAIL:[YT]D6jl0Vch6Z0[/YT]

Bluth, Spielberg and George Lucas teamed up for this film and turned in what might jokingly yet accurately be called "Cretaceous Bambi And Friends". A beautiful yet strikingly gritty animated film that benefits from young children handling most of the voice work, it can be surprisingly intense. The film was so popular that it led to a series of spin off films and properties, though none of the original creators was involved. Also of interest is that these later entries were all musicals and yet this original film had no such element, which for what ever reason, I think, works for the film. From 1988... THE LAND BEFORE TIME:[YT]ROVZZOv8ebc[/YT]

When a Stranger Calls (1979).

If you haven't seen it, watch it, and thank me later.

When a Stranger Calls (1979) [YT]PVAx84hpo-c[/YT]

^:up:

Cyrano de Bergerac, directed by Jean Paul Rappeneau and starring Gerard Depardieu, it's probably the best cinematic adaptation of Edmond Rostand's masterpiece.
Loves of a Blonde, Milos Forman's first feature film, already showing a great talent and understanding of Cinema.
Cold Cuts, Bertrand Blier's surreal journey of a film, also starring Gerard Depardieu.
The Scientific Cardplayer, Alberto Sordi vs Bette Davis in an epic card showdown, only rivaled by...
The Cincinnati Kid, Edward G. Robinson vs Steve McQueen (edited by the great Hal Ashby.)

Cyrano De Bergerac:[YT]oFXO0giXDoY[/YT]

Loves of a Blonde (Couldn't find a trailer so here is a clip):[YT]kRGiX-W05U4[/YT]

Cold Cuts I could not find a trailer for.

The Scientific Card Player I also could not find a trailer for.

The Cincinnati Kid:[YT]ZIxuNgT2PHU[/YT]

Hyena. A London set crime drama about a corrupt cop who's world is crashing down around him. Pusher meets Bad Lieutenant meets The Shield. The movie was a big hit on the festival circuit. Cinematography and score is great. The film is incredibly lit. The actors are so believable in their roles that they make believable characters that could easily be stereotypes if the casting wasn't good. This film is incredibly gritty and grim. Everyone in the movie is rather unpleasant yet highly engaging.

Hyena:[YT]MgEZVdFai-M[/YT]

Woody Allen's funniest and most bonkers film:woot:
sleeper-poster.jpg

Sleeper:[YT]Qo2Lo28FNpg[/YT]

I will admit up front that while this film tackles certain universal themes it also has a deliciously true to life flavor that those whom are part of the group the film is about will appreciate a lot. I am Puerto Rican and as it happens, this film resonates as I either am related to or know people like the characters in this film. I think that will be true of a lot of Hispanic people that see the movie, but that isn't to say that the film can't be enjoyed by everyone. A bit of an "anthology" if you will, with little connecting the stories really outside of them taking place on the island of Puerto Rico and being about, literally "Love sickness", this movie, executive produced by Benicio Del Toro, does tend to tick off a lot of the "indie movie check list", no doubt. But it's still entertaining, yet true to life. The cast is quite game and talented. The stories really show how love and physical attraction affect us all from youth to old age. I do think that the "bus story" is the weakest of them all, but then, as this isn't like a Hollywood romance, that story was not going to end in the style of a rom com anyway. Directed by Carlos Ruiz-Ruiz, from 2007... MALDEAMORES: [YT]0kqNGq1VVX4[/YT]

I couldn't find the trailer for this, but I did find a pretty brief but quite descriptive Mini-mini review (seriously, less than two minutes) that sums the film up quite well, more or less. From 1970, directed by Arthur Penn and starring Dustin Hoffman... LITTLE BIG MAN:[YT]ZkH05-Cz-js[/YT]

Darryl Zanuck brought this epic WWII film to the screen in 1962, and undertaking that required three directors to give life to. With a cast too long to list briefly it's a historical re-enactment of the Normandy invasion. It's a visual feast. As stated, it recreates the bloody landing of Allied Forces. It gives a pretty 360 degree view of things from both the German and Allied perspectives. The characters are somewhat broad, and even thin, since after all this is a sprawling story, but that doesn't take away from the experience of watching it as I thing it's the intent to give us only a snapshot of the personal struggles of that day, the operation itself is really the star as it were. The production values are amazing as you see the men and machinery almost as they really were. Little stock footage is used. The combined talents of directors Ken Annakin, Andrew Marton and Bernard Wicki bring you... THE LONGEST DAY: [YT]RW5t1V4xm3M[/YT]

The One I Love

FjfDvsA.jpg

Made a thread about it but it didn't catch on. This movie is great. Don't watch the trailer (though it does a good job of not spoiling it). The less you know, the better. Just know the basic premise:

"A couple (Mark Duplass, Elisabeth Moss) whose marriage is crumbling have a surreal experience during a weekend getaway at a house recommended by their therapist (Ted Danson)."

It's on Netflix. Check it out.

This is a well respected gem of a film from 2011. Tom Hardy, Joel Edgerton and Nick Nolte gave great performances in this film about the lives of 3 men, separated and connected by the bonds of family. Hardy plays an incredibly tough but tortured MMA fighter that is dealing with the scars of his past, especially where it concerns the life he lead as a child with his alcoholic father. His brother, also trained as a mixed martial artist, has his own issues as well from that period but has grown up to be a loving father with a wife and kid. In the here and now the three men are on a collision course that really runs the gamut of emotions. A well made and supremely well acted film, it got Nolte and Oscar nomination. Directed by Gavin O'Connor... WARRIOR: [YT]I5kzcwcQA1Q[/YT]

I have always had a soft spot for this film, but that's not to suggest it doesn't deserve it. I find it pretty funny for a variety of reasons. The key to it all is the winning performance of the lead and a nice tight little screenplay. A vehicle for Whoopi Goldberg very early into her career, it is a good place to showcase Whoopie's timing and ear for comedy. Now... Some at the time thought that this was just them trying to copy Eddie Murphy in Beverly Hills Cop. Now there were a couple other Golberg films I would totally agree were trying to do just that, but that's not the case with this film, which has a less edgy charm than I think BHC does. Goldberg is an NYC office worker that due to some crossed wires becomes the only help for a secret agent she meets only through her computer. The film has some real laughs but they also develop the relationship with Whoopie and the spy in a way that feels organic and real. There is also some fun pop culture of the time riffing, and I think even more than GHOST this is Goldberg's best performance outside of THE COLOR PURPLE. The film was also the directorial debut of Penny Marshall. From 1986... JUMPIN' JACK FLASH:[YT]99UFd54v8to[/YT]

This film is the directorial debut for the Wachowskis. A neo-noir that packs a lot in an unassuming package. It's a great down and dirty little flick that above all has a very tight script with little fat. The cast, including Joe Pantoliano, Jennifer Tilly and Gina Gershon are at the top of their game. Sultry, stylish and well executed this has a great distinction of being a post PULP FICTION crime fil that wasn't trying to ape Tarantino's masterpiece much at all. From 1996... BOUND:[YT]8IywWEYKRKc[/YT]

This film is the directorial debut for the Wachowskis. A neo-noir that packs a lot in an unassuming package. It's a great down and dirty little flick that above all has a very tight script with little fat. The cast, including Joe Pantoliano, Jennifer Tilly and Gina Gershon are at the top of their game. Sultry, stylish and well executed this has a great distinction of being a post PULP FICTION crime fil that wasn't trying to ape Tarantino's masterpiece much at all. From 1996... BOUND:[YT]Z7Crt4S1IZM[/YT]

Their best, in my opinion. :up:

This film is a bit of a time capsule. From 1984, by director Paul Mazursky, it's a film that I find very "humane" to say the least. Robin Williams shines in a part both dramatic and comedic, as a saxophonist with a state run Russian circus during the Reagan era Cold War. He manages to defect when the circus is on tour in New York City. There is of course a lot of culture clash comedy, but also the drama of a man alone, a stranger in a strange yet alluring land, is played quite well. The supporting cast is also good. Maria Conchita Alonzo made her screen debut and never was more beautiful and sultry. Now... I do find it to be a "small" film. It's not really epic, or some deep character study. Hell, it's not even some political tract about the superiority of the West, as it shows the dark side of NYC back in the 1980's, but that's also why I think it rings true as a story of one man that yearned for more. Here is the trailer for... MOSCOW ON THE HUDSON:[YT]klZV_76rXhA[/YT]

One of the pre-internet era's biggest casting controversies was Tom Cruise getting the role of Anne Rice's Lestat. Much like Ben Affleck today or Heath Ledger in the recent past, fans of her work simply could not see Cruise in the part, a character that had been embraced by readers all over the world. Neil Jordan, director of THE CRYING GAME utilized Cruise's star power to the film's benefit I think and attracted a stellar cast. Brad Pitt at the start of his career as well as a very young Kirsten Dunst, Antonio Banderas and Christian Slater who took over after the untimely death of River Phoenix. I feel that in this post Twilight age that this movie has been overlooked, though I can understand why. For one, Cruise never returned for a sequel and reprise the role of Lestat. I think that is a huge reason why the other Rice adaptations are so lackluster with such odd casting choices all around. I also understand if someone watches the movie and finds Pitt's Louis underwhelming. The character is very taciturn and staid. I'm not sure that Pitt was quite the film presence we have come to enjoy in his later work. Still, I find the film to be quite enjoyable, it's got the proper vibe for a vampire film and it does what I love most with the vampire mythos: No romance, no sugar coating. From 1994... INTERVIEW WITH THE VAMPIRE:[YT]qmFYu8x46VY[/YT]

Not even gonna write too much about this one. Based on J.G. Ballard's semi-autobiographical work and directed by Steven Spielberg, this was not a film that made a big splash financially when it was released. In fact, I find that among the masses it's the master director's most overlooked film. A visually powerful tale of a young boy's survival during WWII in Shanghai, it was Spielberg, the master of child like wonderment's striking take on the loss of childhood innocence. As a bonus it was our first real look at the talent that Christian Bale had to offer as he plays the main character. From 1987... EMPIRE OF THE SUN:[YT]i_WiDVA1kLY[/YT]

Predestination - with Ethan Hawke.

Not even gonna write too much about this one. Based on J.G. Ballard's semi-autobiographical work and directed by Steven Spielberg, this was not a film that made a big splash financially when it was released. In fact, I find that among the masses it's the master director's most overlooked film. A visually powerful tale of a young boy's survival during WWII in Shanghai, it was Spielberg, the master of child like wonderment's striking take on the loss of childhood innocence. As a bonus it was our first real look at the talent that Christian Bale had to offer as he plays the main character. From 1987... EMPIRE OF THE SUN:[YT]i_WiDVA1kLY[/YT]

Definitely an overlooked Spielberg film. Very ambitious and great performances from Malkovich and Bale.

I am surprised at how many younger people I meet that have never seen this seminal Bill Murray comedy. It definitely shares some DNA with ANIMAL HOUSE. The whole thing is just a great, funny, character driven comedy that still manages to go to some outrageous places. Murray and Harold Ramis are the heart of the film but the cast is solid throughout, from John Candy to Warren Oates. Directed by Ivan Reitman, it's one of the best "Service Comedies" of all time. From 1981... STRIPES:[YT]BgKZgwkwOAQ[/YT]

From 1938 this is a film whose influence in terms of action adventure films I think, is still felt in many ways even these days. It is by no means incredibly revolutionary or anything but it shows that if you have all the right pieces in place that a film can hum along at an enjoyable pace and be a simple adventure story well told and yet be incredibly embraced by the audience. The Ur text for this particular legend for the post-war and beyond it's amazing how it's star, Errol Flynn gets by on pure charm and sinewy physicality. As the devious Guy of Gisborne, Basil Rathbone is all uppercrusty menace, but still entertaining in his mustache twirling, so much so that for all intents and purposes he would go on later to parody his role in this film in the hilarious THE COURT JESTER, with Danny Kaye. The film just sings and for the very young can easily delight still I think. Directed by Michael Curtiz and William Keighley... THE ADVENTURES OF ROBIN HOOD:[YT]Ist_bZLP9u4[/YT]

I don't know why but this Disney film has stayed under the radar, at least in terms of appreciation by fans when it comes to the Disney animated films of the 1990's. Granted... It's easy to get overshadowed by that decade's Disney output. Still... It seems a shame since this was in my opinion a better film than the previous chapter that Disney had put out with the same concept. Featuring Eva Gabor and Bob Newhart again as operatives (mice operatives at that) that travel the world helping children in dire circumstances, the movie is a feast for the eyes. It's just amazing animation wise, but it's an action adventure romp too, and it treads a fine line between truly dramatic and too cute sappiness. Is it AMAZING in terms of story or plot? No. It's quite simple really, but it's pleasures are of fantastic visuals and friendly characters in our two heroes and (and John Candy as an albatross too). Over all it just works for me. Directed by Hendal Butoy and Mike Gabriel... THE RESCUERS DOWN UNDER:[YT]bJMlNrEbk0k[/YT]

Originally released in 1986, this is another charming Disney film that doesn't quite get it's due. Again, it is a bit of a lesser light, more along the lines of SWORD IN THE STONE than ALADDIN or THE LION KING. Still... It's worth a look, especially in light of the current Sherlock Holmes resurgence we are going through now. A pretty fun romp with a mouse that lives with the great detective Holmes that serves the mice population of London. Basil, the main character is actually a lot of fun and the villain is voiced by Vincent Price so, yeah, what more needs to be said? It's very enjoyable and it makes me wish that there had been at least another film with the character. Directed by four Disney directors... THE GREAT MOUSE DETECTIVE:[YT]N-aEr0kOQNU[/YT]

This was a film by a master, and in pure style and visual verve it shows... In terms of casting, story flow, meeting the mass audience even half way when it comes to expectations... Well the term flawed masterpiece comes to mind. But as always... There is something to be said about giving it it's day in court. Visually and in terms of production design it holds your attention. Perhaps the director, Francis Ford Coppola felt this oft told tale needed to go back to the source and thus reinvigorate the public's perception of this story and the lore that has sprung from it? The film has some issues as I said. The cast is sprawling and there are some stand outs, like it's star Gary Oldman and Anthony Hopkins, but there are some head scratchers too. Keanu Reeves was not ready for prime time, shall we say, and Winona Ryder was in my eyes quite bad as the lead female. What is interesting to me is that looking back it kinda has the vibe of something that straddled the world of exploitation film and something in the more experimental vein (pun intended). It so very NOT like the blockbusters of it's era, the early 1990's, and indeed many of the effects used would not be something the likes of which would be around much longer as the digital SFX age was around the corner. Despite it's unevenness the film is worth a look at. From 1992... BRAM STOKER'S DRACULA:[YT]fgFPIh5mvNc[/YT]

Last edited:
Keeping with the theme of Vampires, I suppose, here is a gem, the remake of which I already gave a shout out to pages back. The original is in my mind and underrated classic from most of the general public out there. It's a horror film from the 80's that mines a bit of meta before it was cool. The cast is very good, including William Ragsdale as Charley, Roddy McDowell as Peter Vincent, Amanda Bearse as Amy and Chris Sarandon as Jerry. The film is directed an written to be of the time it was made, while still giving the audience the ole classic tropes. For it's time the script is sharp, but I think the cast elevates the material on the page and the director, though a bit of a journeyman, knew how to handle this material well. Some the SFX are of course dated, but they are still quite well crafted and the designs are pretty cool. The balance between the full on horror aspects and the psychological horror aspects is well done. The crux of this film is of course that no one believes the local teen horror nerd that there is an undead killer in the town's midst. Fun, funny, scary, it's a total package and above all, very well done. From 1985, directed by Tom Holland... FRIGHT NIGHT:[YT]1ISgM9sjza8[/YT]

P.S. And just cause... FRIGHT NIGHT(2011). Have a ball comparing the two.:[YT]6enhzzeK6l0[/YT]

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"