Official Film Recommendations Thread

Recommendations for Halloween:

Trick r' Treat
[YT]wUqsXvBAqRY[/YT]
Wes Craven's New Nightmare
[YT]TV8za5nWxwo[/YT]
Evil Dead 2
Not sure if I can post the trailer to this one.

The Collector
[YT]EE1sL7QWL5c[/YT]
Killer Klowns from Outer Space
[YT]PrFl800iYWI[/YT]
30 Days of Night
[YT]zXYO19Ig5hc[/YT]
Shaun of the Dead
[YT]LIfcaZ4pC-4[/YT]
Halloween (1978)
[YT]kNyWct1deQY[/YT]

From 1997, this was in my opinion a mostly well done sci fi horror film. A real creature feature that furthered the reputation of then only four time director Guillermo Del Toro it certainly showcases the style that he would come to hone in bigger hits. Now... The film as released is what it is... A creature feature. That said, the director's cut released in 2011 is a slightly better film. Now, am I saying this is the absolute best of it's kind? No, but I appreciated the stuff that works in the film, not least of which is GDT's genreal aesthetic and production design choices. Even the simple message that who knows what could be lurking in NYC because it's a place we usually don't pay too much attention to the people in the background of... Kinda interesting. Jeremy Northam, F. Murray Abraham and then rising star Mira Sorvinao, along with Charles S. Dutton are all game in a stylish, if straight forward monster movie... MIMIC:[YT]xFyzwCse0E8[/YT]

Here's a Halloween recommendation for y'all

Spider Baby. It's one of Lon Chaney Jr's last flicks. Also stars a young Sid Haig.

[YT]DmAX0lzgRaI[/YT]

This is an interesting little oddity in the pantheon of this story's many adaptations. Yet... I have always enjoyed this this film and the performances of the cast in their roles. A gloss on Mary Shelly's dependable tale of hubris and man playing god, as well as taking influence from the Universal films, it stars Sting as Dr. Frankenstein, Jennifer Beal as his newest creation, Eva, and in a very touching turn, at least for me, Clancy Brown as Frankenstein's Monster. Well shot and with some fantastic sets, costume and scenery, it's almost like a Merchant and Ivory version of the story... And maybe that's why I don't hear much about the film from fans of the Frankenstein story. It is a bit like a period piece more than a Gothic horror story. Still... I find that the trials of the Monster in the film to be filled with pathos and Beal and Sting are very alluring as leads. In fact this film much more than Flashdance displays Beals' range I think. From 1985, and directed by Franc Roddam... THE BRIDE:[YT]4Wf5G67bAiQ[/YT]

So, we often hear about how there are too many cookie cutter films out there. That there aren't enough films that attempt to do something different. Well brother... Have I got two films for you here. First a little cultural background. During the immediate post WWII years the U.S. became obsessed with the threat of Russian aggression and influence in the world, and especially with the possibility of Communist subversion on the home front of the Cold War. As with so many issues in society at large, art becomes a way to digest larger cultural, social, and political forces that batter the psyche of the masses. This was apparent in films that mined Sci Fi during that era, with many a classic being churned out as this period progressed, as well as a lot of schlock. Thus in 1953 was released INVADERS FROM MARS, a film that had quite a bit of influence on the aesthetics at least, of many film makers. The film is the story of a boy that witnesses the landing of a prototypical Flying Saucer near home by a sand quarry. Soon, the boy's father begin's acting strangely as do others and it becomes clear to him that alien influences are guiding people to act in malevolent ways.

The film is, for me, a bit of a mixed bag. It has a lot of care taken in some scenes and then it seems like a much cheaper film in others. This could well be due to the fact that it's production was rushed when it was found out that WAR OF THE WORLDS was to be released the soon and it seems the producers wanted to beat that film's release to theaters. There is a very interesting style of old school film making in many scenes, with some interesting effects and cinematography. It gives off a vibe sometimes like a pulp story brought to the big screen or a very twisted children's tale. And that is something that should be noted. It is a story of a very young person and their view of things as a world of adults around them starts to spin out of control. No doubt many a film maker that came to prominence in the late 70's and early 80's would have seen and imbibed this film's visuals and story. And that's something I won't ruin as the film has a strange and open ended twist, shall we say.

This brings us to the re-make, directed in 1986 by Tobe Hooper of LIFEFORCE, POLTERGEIST and TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE fame (or infamy for some). In this remake he doesn't stray too far from the basics of the original. Indeed, it plays off as an almost anti-E.T. in a sense. It's shot quite well and it's production values are very good. Like it's predecessor it too contains an unsettled climax. What I find interesting is that the film seems to share the DNA, at least visually, with many of the kid friendly blockbusters of the era, but this isn't a film that most children would appreciate. It's interesting to see that Hooper didn't feel the need to change up things to play to the expectations of a 1980's audience. Whether that was the right choice I leave up to any who decide to see it with modern eyes. As always... give this it's day in court and don't just go by a RT percentage.

Invaders From Mars (1953):[YT]4p7CRVnL0a8[/YT]

Invaders From Mars (1986):[YT]_Z1Z-Ul0qLw[/YT]

From 1999, a film that is in the KELLY'S HEROES vein of being both a heist film and a war film. I think this is maybe the key film that showed that Mark Wahlberg had matured into a very enjoyable screen talent with some real chops. It doesn't hurt to have the charisma of George Clooney and Ice Cube to work off of. A well written caper that is also a good buddy "road film" of a sort with characters that are likable but still not exactly "good" that none the less you are rooting for. There's some commentary about the war that the film takes place in as well as the nature of war in and of itself but that's a minor part of the film's content. Supporting the three leads are an eclectic mix of talent that includes Nora Dunn, Jaimie Kennedy and believe it or not film directory Spike Jonze. From Director David O. Russell... THREE KINGS:[YT]TCUMom0hWBY[/YT]

One of Director Walter Hill's best films and a seminal piece of 80's popular cinema, this is the debut of Eddie Murphy on the big screen (interestingly he was far from the first choice to play the co-lead) and surprisingly watching it today you realize that while he is very funny in this film that he's really playing a role more than just being a comedian. Let's put it this way, it's a bit different than say his turn in BEVERLY HILLS COP, where Eddie constantly riffing IS the driving force of that film. Here, he's bouncing off the energy given to him by his co-star, and let me ask, in a mass market film, has Nick Nolte ever been better? Together they headline this gritty 80's crime piece with such style and aplomb you'd think the two of them had been working together for years. Hill works magic with these two and the result is a film that is both tight and well paced which also takes time out for a peek into the inner lives of the two main characters. From 1982... 48 HRS:[YT]24XiqMIC6q8[/YT]

SLOW WEST

Fassy in a western. Done. More folks should support films like these. You nerds only support Fassy when he does those xmen flicks. :o

I know yall ain't going to see him in Macbeth either. Forget ya'll.

SLOW WEST

Fassy in a western. Done. More folks should support films like these. You nerds only support Fassy when he does those xmen flicks. :o

I know yall ain't going to see him in Macbeth either. Forget ya'll.

Post the trailer bruh. That way we know what we are missing.

Okay... I know I am going to get rapped on the mouth for this but... I like this movie. Yes, some of that is nostalgia goggles, and some of it is that I had not read the source material before seeing it, so I had no sense of betrayal when I saw it, which was a few years after in an extended edition that was broadcast on PBS of all places. Now... The film is messy and the director (no surprise) makes some strange choices all around but... I don't know... There's some beautifully awesome madness going on. It's like, if there were just a bit of an adjustment here and there with the script and the the performances this could have turned out as a better, more complete film.

Still there are a number of things to enjoy, and the cast is talented. Above all I really like the production design. This is a sort of Victorian themed space fantasy world and it works. I can't deny that in hindsight an adaptation that hewed closer to the source novel might have been better but the film is an interesting two hours and whatever else you can say it's not like anything else from it's era. Starring Kyle Machlachlan, Patrick Stewart, Sean Young, Sting, Brad Dourif, Jose Ferrer and more, directed by David Lynch, from 1984... DUNE:[YT]hzUlXEyvJeA[/YT]

A friend put me on to this and I just finished watching it. A little background first... As a kid growing up in 1980's Brooklyn literally right next door to the brownstone my parents owned there was one of the first mom and pop styled VHS rental stores. You gotta remember what the time was like. Cable was in it's infancy, and there were in the NYC area of the time seven channels you could get on broadcast. So having this rental place was opening up a new world of entertainment at home. We rented EVERYTHING early on in those years. Did the box cover look interesting even if we'd never heard of the movie? Well then here's our $3, let's put this pupper into the VCR and watch it! So I saw a lot of schlock films as well as better made stuff. As such, you get to notice the names that keep seeming to pop up again and again. The Cannon Group was one of them and in this documentary released in 2014 you get a look at that era and group that made those films possible. It's a story that involves Hollywood riff raff and royalty. Films that were all exploitation pretty much that had JUST enough production values. It's a far cry from the slickness that I think is even evident in independent productions today. I can't say it's a GREAT documentary but it should be of interest to those into exploitation and the behind the scenes of a bygone time in movie history. Directed by Mark Hartley... ELECTRIC BOOGALOO, THE WILD UNTOLD STORY OF CANNON FILMS:[YT]B5nKFvQ8gIM[/YT]

Documentary director Leon Gast brought this long gestating project to fruition in 1996. The very compelling and watchable story of the fight between George Foreman and Muhammad Ali that took place in Africa, in what was then known as the country of Zaire. It's an entertaining marriage of documentary narrative and music. An intimate look at an "event" in both American and world popular culture. It has to be seen to understand why it's such a satisfying experience watching. The Trailer for... WHEN WE WERE KINGS:[YT]IfUHYUpmTFs[/YT]

Check it out if you haven't seen it. We probably will not see his like again in our lifetime. RIP GOAT...

when-we-were-kings-movie-poster-1996-1020191139.jpg

fsGUnb9.jpg

Cold in July

It's currently on Netflix.

I'd recommend Green Room...if you have the stomach for it. It can get pretty brutal at times but it's sooo good.

GREEN ROOM TRAILER:[YT]4DF-7rHKsu4[/YT]

Van Damme Movie

Bloodsport, Double Impact, Lionheart & Time Cop

THE ONE AND ONLY

A Carl Reiner film starring at the time giant TV star Henry Winkler? What's not to love? Well... This isn't a horrible film but it's not the greatest either. Still it's worth a look. I kinda wonder what Woody Allen would have done with the material. Winkler stars as an a man sure he is destined for fame and fortune in the entertainment industry in some way. His wife Kim Darby (of TRUE GRIT fame) has to suffer his impenetrable ego as they skate by as he seeks fame, only to find it through the world of Professional Wrestling.

Clip featuring Winkler and Herve Villachaize trying to convince a wrestling promoter to bring him on as a new prospect:
[YT]wTIp3QanQtg[/YT]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_One_and_Only_(1978_film)

MALCOM X (1992)
One of my favorite movies starring Denzel Washington, might not be a historically accurate one, but it's one I enjoy.

''The Extraordinary Adventures of Adèle Blanc-Sec''

One of Besson's finest and probably my third fav behind LEON and Nikita. Gorgeous French actress Louise Bourgoin plays an Indiana Jones-type heroin in this stunning fantasy/adventure film.

Check out the Director's Cut for some extra ''goodies''... :woot: :ilv:

[YT]T_c_Uo7No5A[/YT]

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Otewe2001
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"