Official: Gotham City Sirens directed by David Ayer - Part 1

Maybe this will turn into a BOP vs GCS???

It's so annoying that every time DC develops an interesting female villain they turn them into a misunderstood hero. Why can't they stay evil? Female characters, especially popular ones like the GCS, don't need to be morally right in every situation. That's how we get Mary Sues.

I'm somewhat familiar with DC's female villains in media outside the DCEU films, so I can sort of understand what you mean, but I am confused about how this applies to the DCEU. The only female villains in the DCEU have been Faora, Enchantress, Amanda Waller, and Dr. Poison. I think only Maru (Poison) comes close to fitting this description.

I'm somewhat familiar with DC's female villains in media outside the DCEU films, so I can sort of understand what you mean, but I am confused about how this applies to the DCEU. The only female villains in the DCEU have been Faora, Enchantress, Amanda Waller, and Dr. Poison. I think only Maru (Poison) comes close to fitting this description.

I wasn't talking about the DCEU. Just the comics. I was just hoping that they wouldn't go in that direction.

Some characters work as anti hero's, but Harley and Ivy ain't one of them IMO.

One of the things that current DC writers can't seem to wrap their head around is that Harley (and ivy but mostly harley) is supposed to be a schemer and manipulator from the jump. Even before meeting The Joker she had no problem manipulating her college professors for a good grade, for example. It's in her DNA. Every time she tries to quit, she always comes back to a life of crime. The thing that makes her relatable and endearing to the audience shouldn't be that she does everything morally good. Or that The Joker made her into the person she is (he didn't and this view is a really flawed reading of the character, that removes all of her agency). It's the fact that when she gets in with The Joker, she's out of her league. It's like going from the governors mansion to the White House.

They kind of did what I hoped they wouldn't already with SS. All of these people that hate each other and have no reason to want to be together besides the bomb in their head suddenly become a family and love each other? Nahhh.

That's a bit of a ramble lol and idk if it makes sense but I just hope that in the GCS movie, or BOP, or whatever movie WB comes out with they stay true to her real character. Not the fanon "oooh poor cinnamon roll, bae-be" that she's turned into.

Considering Harley's popularity is at an all-time high right now, it seems they're doing something right. And Ivy can definitely work as an anti-hero, and has at times in the past.

I think some of ya'll expect ''R'' rating to mean more violence etc. A film can get an ''R'' rating over the use of more than one bad word. lol

I don’t understand why they would make this with a higher rating in mind. Superheroes skew male, it’s hard enough getting young girls interested in the genre as it is with out this added layer. WB needs to stop trying to be ‘adult’ and start thinking about trying to appeal to the younger generation.

I think some of ya'll expect ''R'' rating to mean more violence etc. A film can get an ''R'' rating over the use of more than one bad word. lol

If it is only about one bad word then why bother going 'R'.

Surely they want to appeal to young girls with this? Or are Catwoman, Harley and Ivy too sexy for them to be concerned with that audience?

Surely they want to appeal to young girls with this? Or are Catwoman, Harley and Ivy too sexy for them to be concerned with that audience?

The better question is how young are you thinking?
If Skwad appealed to the "hot topic" youth, what exactly are they changing by doing an R vers. of that?

WB needs to stop trying to be ‘adult’ and start thinking about trying to appeal to the younger generation.

In Disney World last summer I was pleasantly surprised by how many girls were wearing DC Super Hero Girls stuff. While WW2 and the ‘Gotham Girl Gang Movie’ should certainly not be, or feel like, DC Super Hero Girls adaptations, there should be enough connective tissue so that every little girl, everywhere, is as- or more- excited to see them as Frozen2. Films that are thrilling to adults and kids alike. Yeah, I know a lot of kids saw Deadpool, but I don’t think an R-rating is a good idea for Harley’s Girl Gang Movie.

DC has been swamped by Marvel in almost every way, and- who knows?- maybe Marvel will even take away DC’s one advantage when Captain Marvel opens next spring.
But if Warner does this right, the next time I go to Disney World there could actually be more little girls in Wonder Woman, Harley Quinn, and Batgirl outfits than Disney princesses. And while that won’t make up for the billions WB has frittered away by fumbling their brand thus far, it would be a not inconsiderable victory, and certainly more than a little annoying to Disney executives.

The better question is how young are you thinking?
If Skwad appealed to the "hot topic" youth, what exactly are they changing by doing an R vers. of that?

The same age as those that went to see Wonder Woman obviously. Wonder Woman wasn't geared to kids per se, in fact there's quite a bit of mature content romance wise, but it was still accessible to girls. I don't see the logic in doing anything more hardcore than that for an all-girl team up movie. What's the point of having the most iconic females characters in comics together on screen if kids can't watch it?

The same age as those that went to see Wonder Woman obviously. Wonder Woman wasn't geared to kids per se, in fact there's quite a bit of mature content romance wise, but it was still accessible to girls. I don't see the logic in doing anything more hardcore than that for an all-girl team up movie. What's the point of having the most iconic female characters in comics together on screen if kids can't watch it?

The point would be to be able to do and reap more for less.
This is a supervillain team-up.
R is insisting kids are with adults just as most normally are during PG-13.

Under the current circumstances it would be far wiser to aim for as wide an audience as possible. This isn't Deadpool where it's violence and profanity is part of the appeal. If you want to play up the sex appeal of the female characters then fine, but you're going to limit your audience. Anything with Batgirl in it shouldn't be limited to adults.

If it is only about one bad word then why bother going 'R'.

Margot is the one who pitched it this way tho, so who knows. I honestly doubt they go with a nr rating. SKwad had everything on paper to be R rated and it didn't happen.

Although DC Superhero Girls does it, I don't really think a movie about Harley and Ivy should be geared toward little girls. Not because they're lesbians, just because they're not the best role models to begin with. Maybe an R rating will keep younger girls away that should be staying away from Harley, Ivy, and even Catwoman.

I'm an adult, so whether it's R rated or not doesn't affect me. They should do what they think suits the story.

Margot is the one who pitched it this way tho, so who knows. I honestly doubt they go with a nr rating. SKwad had everything on paper to be R rated and it didn't happen.

As long as they don't dumb it down like that movie! Oooh the bright colours!

Although DC Superhero Girls does it, I don't really think a movie about Harley and Ivy should be geared toward little girls. Not because they're lesbians, just because they're not the best role models to begin with. Maybe an R rating will keep younger girls away that should be staying away from Harley, Ivy, and even Catwoman.

If it’s BoP v GCS it’s a different story though. Female characters is the one advantage WB has over Marvel.

If it’s BoP v GCS it’s a different story though. Female characters is the one advantage WB has over Marvel.

I don't think it's so much about little kids as it is about teens. Little kids have their own versions of most of the heroes i.e. the cartoons, and they don't go to the more violent superhero movies anyway. But teens do. Teens would want to see this movie and it's a big market. I don't think they're adverse to dark themes either- they're a big market for horror movies for instance, and the villains and anti-heroes of this movie are pretty mild compared to other kinds of movies young people watch.

From what I gather, 'R' in America is different that 'R' here in Australia. Here it completely shuts out under-18s. But there you can go in if you're under 17 if you're accompanied by an adult? How hard is that enforced?

As long as it doesn't blatantly pander to teens, like Suicide Squad seemed to do, and if it has darker themes that I think even the teens would appreciate, I don't think it has to go 'R'.

The title of this thread is misleading... some people still think we're talking about a GCS adaptation. The movie Robbie was discussing in the article is Birds of Prey, and there's no way in bad place that a BoP movie should be rated R.

I don't think it's so much about little kids as it is about teens. Little kids have their own versions of most of the heroes i.e. the cartoons, and they don't go to the more violent superhero movies anyway. But teens do. Teens would want to see this movie and it's a big market. I don't think they're adverse to dark themes either- they're a big market for horror movies for instance, and the villains and anti-heroes of this movie are pretty mild compared to other kinds of movies young people watch.

From what I gather, 'R' in America is different that 'R' here in Australia. Here it completely shuts out under-18s. But there you can go in if you're under 17 if you're accompanied by an adult? How hard is that enforced?

As long as it doesn't blatantly pander to teens, like Suicide Squad seemed to do, and if it has darker themes that I think even the teens would appreciate, I don't think it has to go 'R'.

From my understanding 'R' in America is the equivalent to 'MA15' down here. Wonder Woman fit perfectly in the rating below that and tackled some pretty mature themes whilst still being accessible to kids, so there's no reason BoP v GSC can't walk the same line. I've got no problem with pushing the boundaries in terms of violence, language, drugs, sexual content, etc, but I just think it's crazy the idea is even being entertained because of the advantage WB has with its female characters. Marvel has basically Captain Marvel and a bunch of supporting female characters that they can currently use. DC has a bunch of female leads along with a bunch of female antagonists at their disposal.

They would be shutting out a huge portion of their demographic. The DC Super Hero Girls line is a billion dollar industry. Seems dumb to not let kids go see the movie version of such a successful line

Yep. By excluding kids they would be leaving a ludricous amount of money on the table.

I don't know if ludicrous amounts is accurate, but I think if there's any hope in salvaging what's left of this franchise it's a terrible idea to block out the younger demographic. Marvel has that area cornered at the moment.

So...I just now realized this was in regard to Birds of Prey. Where's the relevant thread?

I don't know if ludicrous amounts is accurate
It is if you take into account all the merchandise that WB wouldn't be able do sell if for some reason they decided to make a Harley Quinn and Batgirl team-up flick that kids can't watch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"