Official Iron Man 3 rate/review thread.

Discussion in 'Iron Man 3' started by thalidomide, Apr 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Superman Earth1

Superman Earth1 Well-Known Member

I think that twist they did will cause a big drop off in the movie. The movie as I said before is much like Iron Man 2 only with more suits and more action. The story is really dragging and as I said while I thought it was good it did not wow me like I thought it would.

2. -JKR-

-JKR- Well-Known Member

It couldn't be more different, really.
    The movie shares more similarities with Shane Black's filmography than it does with previous Marvel movies. Of course it shares the necessary similarities with the Iron Man movies. BUT - this is pretty much a stand-alone movie, while Iron Man 2 was a teaser for The Avengers. This has a tight, clever and exciting script, the previous Iron Man barely had one, and didn't really know where to go with the story. There are stakes. The previous had none. The villains are great. You can feel the danger. And it's darker. And when people think dark automatically means TDK, then people have to update their worldview. A movie can be darker AND funny.

3. Norek

Norek Yvonne Strahotski <3

Well I for one hate it when people put me in a category which I don't belong to, by saying things like what you said above. I'm very open-minded. I support people trying different things and being creative almost 100% of the time. I like re-imagining of different character. I love different interpretations. I understand that not everything from the pages of a comics works on film, and I've been preaching this to death. I'm more of a movie fan than a comic fan, but that's irrelevant.

But just because I encourage people playing with creativity doesn't mean I will unconditionally love the final product they make. I cannot pretend that I like something because I fear I will upset other people that clearly don't share my opinion. I see many people loved the movie, and that's fine. The problems I had with it may have worked with other people, no doubt. But calling me delusional for somehow creating my own fantasies and unrealistic expectations is offensive and arrogant, to say the least.

[BLACKOUT]I liked what they were doing with Ben Kingsley's Mandarin up until the twist. I never expected to see the racist caricature people are bashing on this forum, nor did I want to. I liked everything about what was given to me by promotional material about Kingsley's Mandarin, and up to the twist. To me, the twist was a huuuge disappointment and a wasted opportunity to have a great character unfold on screen. It's not like I had these unrealistic expectations about magic rings and ****. I had normal expectations about what I had seen, and I was not pleased with how things turned out. Simple as that.[/BLACKOUT]

It was misleading on purpose, that's one thing you can't deny, and even Marvel wouldn't deny. Otherwise there wouldn't be a twist. If the trailers didn't showcase the movie in such a dramatic way the impact of the twist would've been smaller I think.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2013
  4. -JKR-

-JKR- Well-Known Member

Never even once in my post did I say that YOU were part of those people. Your criticism is as good as a criticism could be. It's not hating, it's not whining, it's a criticism, of something you didn't like. I respect that.

5. Norek

Norek Yvonne Strahotski <3

You can never know when people make ambiguous posts as yours. I just wanted to clear things up. :oldrazz:

6. -JKR-

-JKR- Well-Known Member

Ambiguous. No, no, I don't think so.

7. Superman Earth1

I disagree but to avoid being a troll I'll just stick with my statement. IM3 is good but not great. It could have been much better or at least I felt it should have been much better. If I had to say anything the story is just lacking. It is IM2 IMO only with a better story. I just felt it could have been better. I think in the long run much like TDKR (which was also a very good movie not great but good) it is a victim of its own hype.

8. -JKR-

-JKR- Well-Known Member

Sticking to your guns is the least you can do, it's your opinion!

I'm just saying that I didn't see many similarities to Iron Man 2, except that it's, well, an Iron Man movie.

9. rashad

rashad Hype Board Junkie

Why? Because you don't agree with her opinion? lol

10. Enriquespy

Enriquespy Well-Known Member

Its funny that iron-man has to date the best and most realistic child sidekick in comic book movie history.

11. Mr. Dent

Mr. Dent Well-Known Member

lol at the guys who said it would be the American reviews that would post all the poopoo reviews on RT. Looks like you were right. :hehe:

12. rashad

rashad Hype Board Junkie

That's not saying much when there's really been no real precedent for it to begin with. As far as I can remember at least.

13. Superman Earth1

Agreed. Aside from Kick ass there hasn't been a child sidekick in the movies.

14. Tony Stark

Tony Stark Armored Avenger!

Way too early to make that prediction. The movie currently has around 67 reviews and the vast majority are overseas reviews. A movie like this will likely get between 250-300 reviews.

15. DoomsdayApex

DoomsdayApex Well-Known Member

:applaud: :applaud: :applaud:

Thank you!!!!!! Ugh, first Assassin's Creed 3, now Iron Man 3. :down:

16. Sharkboy

Sharkboy Tell em Steve-Dave

I'm betting it will hit the mid 80's.

17. -JKR-

-JKR- Well-Known Member

Such an unfair world... :p

18. ElMariachi

ElMariachi Bald to the Bone

I don't know about you guys but anything over 70% on Rotten Tomatoes is generally a good movie. Few movies stay in the 90% range on there. Inception is in the mid-80% range. No idea how that movie isn't a 100%. It was one of the freshest SciFi movies in quite some time. Can't please everyone. Particularly critics that automatically dock movies that feature explosions and action.

19. Sharkboy

I tend to focus more on the average critic rating rather than the percentage. Less critics liking something doesn't bother me there will always be someone that dislikes something, what i want to know is how positive were the positive critics.

And even that isn't really a great indicator of how much you'll like a movie, I mean ghost protocol and Avengers are great movies they both got over 90% on RT, and in no universe are they better films than Chan-Wook Park's Oldboy which got an 81% :funny:

Some films are just easier to like.

20. Mr. Dent

Mr. Dent Well-Known Member

I'm just saying that because the past 3 reviews added have all been negative coming from American writers.

21. Son of Coul

Son of Coul Not 100% A Dick

To be fair, the Village Voice was never gonna be positive. They have a tendency to dump on these movies, so it's clear it was never gonna be their cup of tea.

22. Sharkboy

What I don't get is why some publications that clearly won't like a film like that, will review a film anyway and hate on the film for containing elements that are absolutely essentially needed for a superhero film. Like crapping on an action movie for having too much action. :funny:

23. The Batman

The Batman The Dark Knight

That's what some people just don't understand.

Some posters want to paint ALL detractors as wanting Mandarin circa 1967. Not only is that not true, it ignores that most people did not bash what we thought would be the IM3 take on Mandarin. Most people did not see the trailers and say "Mandarin's not chinese?!?! WTF?!"

If the character still seems recognizable to fans despite the changes, and if those changes improve the character, most people won't complain. It says something that people have a problem with the Mandarin twist. And people can spin it any way they want, but clearly not everyone thinks this change is brillant. And people shouldn't be thought of as less for not liking the twist, or "not getting it."

Last edited: Apr 29, 2013
  24. Tony Stark

Tony Stark Armored Avenger!

Thanks for the concern trolling. BTW use spoiler tags because a lot of people have not seen the film and may not know there is a [blackout]Mandarin Twist. Saying there is a twist on the character is a spoiler[/blackout]

I don't have any problem with people having a negative opinion of the movie. I have a huge problem with people who have a negative opinion and come her to let the cat out of the bag, when the movie has yet to be released in the states.

25. Moridin

Moridin Death Contagious Deity

If a critic dislikes movies you like, & likes movies you dislike, why wouldn't you ignore their opinion on a new movie?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.