Iron Man 3 Official Iron Man 3 rate/review thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tony Stark was absolutely hilarious in Avengers, so I hope it's like that.

"That man is playing Galaga!"

The "comedy" in IM2 was basically out of hand improvisation, the whole movie took the imrpov too far IMO, even though I can still watch the movie and enjoy sections of it.
Yeah, 'too far' and 'out of hand' are good descriptions of it!

Man, there were so many moments in IM2 where Tony and Pepper would be talking and Downey would just be stepping ALL over Paltrow's lines to the point where it just became so annoying and really took me out of the movie. You can tell Favreau let the improvisation go way too far and veer off course.

Another big one, review from The Guardian (4 out of 5 stars).

The rave reviews from the top UK critics are nothing short of amazing. They are usually tough on films in general and comic book movies in particular, so their praise for Iron Man 3 is that much more meaningful. Though I am certain that some of the tougher, more elitist critics in the US will still slam the movie, the British reaction reassures me that the movie will be well received overall.

Mm, I too was a bit jarred by the comedic nature of IM2. And while I did indeed think it was very funny, during the serious moments it felt like "now for the serious stuff," as if it was a comedic superhero movie with serious inflections, rather than the other way around.

Leading up to the release the filmmakers kept saying they wanted to match the tone of the first, putting a big emphasis on humor. While that's good, I feel like they got a little too fixated on the humor part and ended up missing the mark. I actually thought Thor did a better job matching the tone of IM1.

Great to see that Guardian review, by the way. Can't wait for more official reviews. :woot:

Sometimes Whedon's dialogue irritates me, but this caught me off guard.

In his commentary for TA, Whedon said that they weren't going to actually show anyone playing Galaga until they looked through footage of the extras on the Helicarrier set. He noticed that one guy who looked shifty, so they went in and inserted a game of Galaga on his computer screen. :woot:

It counted as fresh on Rotten Tomatoes.

The review seemed very positive, only that he thought it felt like a disappointment coming off Avengers. I don't expect it to live up to Avengers, which is an event film that only comes along once every 5 or 6 years.

The rave reviews from the top UK critics are nothing short of amazing. They are usually tough on films in general and comic book movies in particular, so their praise for Iron Man 3 is that much more meaningful. Though I am certain that some of the tougher, more elitist critics in the US will still slam the movie, the British reaction reassures me that the movie will be well received overall.
Not to say it isn't great, but as I recall, Thor was riding super high on RT from the early reviews of UK critics as well...it wasn't 'til the Americans started chiming in that its score began to drop like a lead weight. Still, these reviews on the whole seem more enthusiastically positive than those were, so there's that. At any rate, I liked Thor for the most part, but I'm confident I'll like this movie far more.

Not to say it isn't great, but as I recall, Thor was riding super high on RT from the early reviews of UK critics as well...it wasn't 'til the Americans started chiming in that its score began to drop like a lead weight. Still, these reviews on the whole seem more enthusiastically positive than those were, so there's that. At any rate, I liked Thor for the most part, but I'm confident I'll like this movie far more.

I did say that I expect US critics to hit the film because I am very aware of their tendencies with regard to superhero and action films. There is this strain of unwarranted elitism among the critics for the top US outlets that will not allow them to praise all but a few genre films. This strikes me as ironic because the best of the UK reviewers are far more intelligent and better writers than the top American critics.

This reminds me of something one of my film professors said: Critics often harshly attack genre films that they know will be blockbusters because they are annoyed that their reviews will make no difference. With smaller films positive reviews can greatly influence the public to go see them in the theater, which of course makes the critics more influential. Whereas the general public's enthusiasm for a film is the deciding factor when it's a big budget spectacle, rendering criticism a non-factor. In other words, for some critics poor reviews can be an ego thing as much as anything else. A few of them will admit as much, in so many words.

I did say that I expect US critics to hit the film because I am very aware of their tendencies with regard to superhero and action films. There is this strain of unwarranted elitism among the critics for the top US outlets that will not allow them to praise all but a few genre films. This strikes me as ironic because the best of the UK reviewers are far more intelligent and better writers than the top American critics.

This reminds me of something one of my film professors said: Critics often harshly attack genre films that they know will be blockbusters because they are annoyed that their reviews will make no difference. With smaller films positive reviews can greatly influence the public to go see them in the theater, which of course makes the critics more influential. Whereas the general public's enthusiasm for a film is the deciding factor when it's a big budget spectacle, rendering criticism a non-factor. In other words, for some critics poor reviews can be an ego thing as much as anything else. A few of them will admit as much, in so many words.
I think your film professor was spot on with that take on critics' natural bias against blockbusters. It seems like a blockbuster has to "surprise" them with its quality in order for them to like it, if that makes any sense, lol. Which is funny, considering genuinely good blockbusters are released every single year. That's why I enjoy the reviews of more populist critics like Peter Travers so much (in spite of his shameless quote-****ing), because not only do I believe he has good taste and knows what he's talking about, but he also clearly loves a good blockbuster as much as a good indie. He seems to approach all (or at least most) types of films with a very open mind.

In his commentary for TA, Whedon said that they weren't going to actually show anyone playing Galaga until they looked through footage of the extras on the Helicarrier set. He noticed that one guy who looked shifty, so they went in and inserted a game of Galaga on his computer screen. :woot:

that will always be an Eric O'Grady cameo to me.

This! I was so hyped for Thor and then US started reviewing lol, but I still ended up enjoying it allot despite it's flaws. The performances made up for my issues with it.

Thor was well received. A 77% RT score is rather impressive given the subject matter and how tough it was critiqued for a summer blockbuster. You generally don't see these kinds of movies getting that high of ratings from critics that went looking to crush it on principle. Thor was a good movie, just not the greatest movie like all comic movies are expected to be these days.

i love love love this movie.

i am so pumped for phase 2 now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Interesting that the end of the movie, it says

Tony Stark will return, but not Iron Man

Well, the movie is more about Tony Stark than Iron Man...honestly, oddly enough, I think "Tony Stark" is more famous than "Iron Man" lol.

Any more British reviews from major news syndicates like Empire, Daily Mail, or The Observer?

From Scotland's Sunday Mail (5/5 stars)
In the end, Iron Man 3 is a tale about the masks men wear to hide who they really are or be who they think they should be. Black has breathed new life into Iron Man and created the best superhero film since The Dark Knight.
New Zealand Herald (4/5)
But Downey's great, again, Paltrow's Potts remains the reigning champ of screen superhero girlfriends and Black's delivery of this rip-roaring story makes Iron Man 3 a seriously good upgrade on its predecessors.
From MTV UK (4/5)
While its silliness makes it inferior to Christopher Nolan’s epic Batman trilogy, Iron Man 3 is easily the most entertaining superhero blockbuster of recent years.
From Flicks.co.nz (5/5)
But all the great character stuff doesn't mean there's any shortage of hardware or action here – Iron Man 3 features several of the best set-pieces in Marvel movie history. This helps the film put fading memories of the underwhelming Iron Man 2 to rest, and reinstates the series as Marvel's gold-standard for awesomeness.
From Holy Moly (8/10)
It really is an unexpected gem of a super hero film the isn't afraid to let its stars do what they do best, whilst maintaining its credibility and not leaning on its excellent stylistic special effects the main crutch. It sparks, grinds and fizzes itself into a climactic crescendo of bonkersness, and is re-watchable purely for its performances. This is certainly the pinnacle of the franchise after an almost unforgivable second instalment. Just remember to switch your brain to autopilot first.

Last edited:
Well I'm still miffed Disney has to ask for more money from the Theaters.
I know several people who won't be able to see it because they have one of the 3 theaters near them. My kids have TWO of them Regal and Cinemark.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"