Iron Man 3 Official rate & review IRON MAN 3 thread! - Part 3

wuss whipped? You mean he stopped obsessing over making suits, and decided to go half and half, giving attention to Pepper AND the suits?

Also, what's everyone's big deal about a lack of AC/DC? I mean, seriously?

Er no... I mean he was about to get himself ended, after repeatedly being shown up by fireburny man... Only to have his missus save him

There was no "I am just as capable without my suit obsession" learning curve
Just him being useless (let his girl die, got handed his ash) without his suit(s)

Even iron patriot did nothing of any good in his suit...

What they should have done is have him need to back into his suit archive and go version 2 being the only one left or something... And have battle it out without "ALL" his new toys

Please bear in mind... My opinion.. Have way to much to do other than argue with captain arguement

When I watched this, I was thinking "What is Shane Black's obsession with Christmas?" I just looked him up on IMDB and in the trivia section, they listed 6 of his screenplays that are set during Christmas (1 of which is unproduced). Can't wait to see Doc Savage kidnapped during Christmas!

Christmas is a time to spend when the ones you care, and the fact that Tony spends much of this movie away from his comfort zone was a nice contrast. It somehow amplified the loneliness, even though it was just a secondary reading. That's what I read somewhere, in an interview with Shane Black.

Just watched this, wow what a letdown. It seemed to take ages to get going tbh, the Mandarin twist was funny but rather silly, infact that was one of the main problems with this film it was too silly at times. Up until the finale I was pretty hired, also I know thus us a world where they have super soldiers, gods, Aliens, etc but I thought the human bomb things were abit OT. Lastly, Where the bad place was Iron Man?

Better than IM2 but that's not saying much, glad I skipped this at the cinema.

Despite my criticisms of Killian's motivations, the basic stuff they give us works well with Tony's PTSD. He's freaking out about the future, about what could happen when his greatest threat is tied to his past.

This review of IRON MAN 3 contains SPOILERS, because on my second viewing, I have to begin by addressing the big spoiler of the movie: namely, the twist that The Mandarin is in fact goofball actor Trevor Slattery, hired by Aldrich Killian to play a puppet terrorist. It was a twist I was torn on, because while I recognised that it gave Killian the best villainous evil scheme to pop up in any Marvel movie, it came at the expense of Iron Man's most iconic villain, a loss that stung all the more because of how much I'd enjoyed Ben Kingsley's sinister new interpretation of the character up until that point in the film. My disappointment over the twist took me out of the film first time round, and may have impacted on my enjoyment and my ultimate ranking of the film.

Second time round, I knew right from the start what to expect as regards that character, and while Kingsley's drunken mugging in the last leg of the film remains one of its most glaring weak points, being able to set aside any expectations of The Mandarin's role allowed me to focus on the rest of the film, and it's actually a damn good movie. Writer/director Shane Black - who of course kickstarted Robert Downey Jr's career comeback with KISS KISS, BANG BANG - was an inspired choice to helm this film, injecting the series with a fresh energy. IRON MAN 2 felt too much of a retread not just of the plotting of the first film, but of the iconography and aesthetic. IRON MAN 3 feels substantially different, it has a whole different vibe, switching sun-soaked Miami for snowy Minnesota for a large chunk of the film and giving us a different threat for Iron Man to face than bad guys in bigger suits of armour. It makes for a film that feels like a more rewarding sequel than the previous installment.

It also helps that, while Tony Stark's previous 3 movie appearances seemed to have him learning the same "grow up and be less selfish" lesson over and over, this gave Stark some new territory to explore, touching on the mental toll of his experiences and his growing dependency on armor props over human ingenuity. The result is Robert Downey Jr's finest performance in the role to date, his quickfire wit punctuated with moments of vulnerability, and opportunities to play his schtick off less likely foils, including one of the most impressively un-annoying "kid sidekick" characters to ever show up in a superhero film.

Much like how THE AVENGERS felt as much like a Joss Whedon film as a Marvel film, this has Shane Black's fingerprints all over it. There's the Christmas setting. And there's his knack for delightfully portrayed bad guys. Black relishes his smarmy henchmen, and James Badge Dale fills that role very nicely here. And though he might not have been the Big Bad most people wanted, Guy Pearce's Killian makes for a compelling foe, a dark mirror for Stark who gets some deliciously rotten lines.

But Black also gets to explore new territory, stretching his legs with some truly exhilarating action set-pieces, including the destruction of Stark's villa, the Air Force One rescue and, my favourite, the chaotic climactic battle where multiple suits of armour fly around battling the Extremis soldiers as Stark fights Killian. That also brings up another thing I found interesting in the film, one of the major motifs that touch on the film's core theme. Everybody and their mother wears an Iron Man suit in this film: Pepper, Rhodes, Killian, Savin, even the President of the United States! And they fly around and are perfectly functional unpiloted too. But none of them are Iron Man, because it's not the armour that makes Iron Man. Tony Stark is what makes Iron Man. That's the conclusion the voiceover comes to at the end, but it's nice to see it seeded through the narrative.

With THE AVENGERS, Marvel really upped their game. Moving into Phase 2, Marvel's movies have shifted from a sense of building to something big, to a sense of riding the wave of momentum of something huge, lending these subsequent chapters of the Marvel Studios franchises added gravitas. No longer are these films and characters just component parts of a bigger whole, but box office giants in their own right, as demonstrated by the gonzo box office of IRON MAN 3. And the quality has risen to match. If this is indeed the last solo outing for Tony Stark, then Iron Man went out on a high.

I enjoyed the movie more than on my first viewing, I enjoyed it 6/10.

The cast are at their best and there is some great concepts e.g Tony going back to square one. HOWEVER,

This relied to much on comedy. It went as far as ruining more serious moments of the film. Now after a 2nd I admire viewing I admire the Mandarin. I liked how they tried to modernise an olser character. Unfortunatly he was only The Mandarin for a very short while and the fight between him and Tony was even shorter, not to mention Pepper killing him was very anti-climatic. I wish we saw more of Killain's Mandarin.

This relied to much on comedy. It went as far as ruining more serious moments of the film.

I'm still waiting for someone to point out all of these serious moments that were ruined by comedy. I've asked enough times, and so far, all I've gotten from anyone was a very poor attempt at explaining one particular moment.

I love all the comedy in the Marvel movies. I feel like they've all balanced it well. It's never been distracting, cause it's worked in all of them.

I love all the comedy in the Marvel movies. I feel like they've all balanced it well. It's never been distracting, cause it's worked in all of them.

I have to disagree. To me it has been distracting more often than not. Because it feels forced and unnecessary most of times. But Robert Downey Jr has a talent for this so he's one of the few actors in a Marvel movie who can make it work. In Thor 2, for example, a bunch of silly jokes was all the development the Thor-Jane relationship got (which was never too interesting to start with). I also remember the "he's adopted" joke in Avengers, which contradicted the very core of the Thor-Loki relationship just for the sake of a few cheap laughs.

When Keyser Soze says, "Much like how THE AVENGERS felt as much like a Joss Whedon film as a Marvel film, this has Shane Black's fingerprints all over it," I also think immediately that for the better or the worse all Marvel moves follow a pattern and little of each director's mark is noticeable. Much like when different directors direct different episodes of the same TV series they have to adapt to the style. When people talked about Avengers and its "Whedon-esque humor" I was just amazed: every single Marvel superhero movie (I mean movies with Marvel characters in them) has had the exact same kind of humor.

But again, RDJ was one of the few exceptions. They can give him the jokes and he'll make them work, or even, dare I ay, improve them.

None of those examples felt forced to me. But again, all of the movies comedy felt perfectly timed and executed for me.

None of those examples felt forced to me. But again, all of the movies comedy felt perfectly timed and executed for me.

Thor warns some of his superhero co-workers to watch their mouths when talking about Loki. Yes, he is a villain but he is his brother and that comes first; perfection when it's about understanding how the Thor-Loki relationship works and why it's so interesting. Next thing, Thor recoils and Loki's not actually his brother. Because that way, you can laugh at the recoiling. I'm sorry but that's going against the core of the character just because of how funny that might sound. And, of course, his saying has no consequences at all because it was just a silly joke, at the expenses of the Thor-Loki relationship (as I said, he still loves his brother) and the Thor-other people relationship (others have to respect his family, he wouldn't recoil about what he said even if he had to).

I agree about Thor and Jane: humor there can't feel forced as there's nothing at all where to force any humor in. That's just two characters talking, there's no relationship whatso9ever, so well, they might as well add a few jokes so no one can tell.

I'm still waiting for someone to point out all of these serious moments that were ruined by comedy. I've asked enough times, and so far, all I've gotten from anyone was a very poor attempt at explaining one particular moment.

"Well he cracked a joke when he thought Pepper died"

*Watches Iron Man 3 for the 450th time*

"....Pepper falls into the pit, no jokes, just a deep look of sadness and anger"

"The Mark 42 joke of course"

Pretty sure it was obvious Tony was stalling to distract Killian.

All but Thor 2, IMO. It wasn't as good (still funny though), and distracting to intercut between Darcy & her Intern and Thor V. Malekith.

I just mention that the villains death was played for laugths. That really, really doesn't help when your trying to justify a twist to character I was very much enjying.

I just mention that the villains death was played for laugths. That really, really doesn't help when your trying to justify a twist to character I was very much enjying.

Explain how Killian's death was played for laughs? Is it because Pepper killed him? :dry:

Even so, that doesn't constitute exactly moments. This seems to be another example of people cherry-picking one instance to paint a broader picture that isn't particularly accurate.

Explain how Killian's death was played for laughs? Is it because Pepper killed him? :dry:

Even so, that doesn't constitute exactly moments. This seems to be another example of people cherry-picking one instance to paint a broader picture that isn't particularly accurate.

I didn't feel like writing a full page essay, I've done it a few posts back in another thread.

Not because it was a woman (though that was part of the joke) Tony cracking Jokes as Pepper did it.

Don't seem to recall that. He did after...but that was to calm Pepper down, and she was obviously upset over having had Extremis injected into her.

I didn't feel like writing a full page essay, I've done it a few posts back in another thread.

Not because it was a woman (though that was part of the joke) Tony cracking Jokes as Pepper did it.

What jokes while she fought him? I can't recall a single one. If you're talking about all of the things he said to calm her down after the fact (as mentioned below, kudos A Necessary Evil), then that was for a reason, completely in character, and wasn't designed to make the villain the butt of any joke. If after four appearances on film, you still either don't expect this sort of thing from RDJ's Tony Stark or just can't come to grips with it, then I don't know what to tell you.

Your 'criticisms', and I use the term loosely, are far too embellished to be taken seriously. If you can't articulate your grievances well, don't resort to making things up to compensate.

Don't seem to recall that. He did after...but that was to calm Pepper down, and she was obviously upset over having had Extremis injected into her.

:up: You probably don't recall it because it never happened. Much like the telling of endless jokes and punchlines after she fell from the platform.

Totally ruining all these super serious moments. I can't wait to hear that tired platitude when Guardians hits.

All but Thor 2, IMO. It wasn't as good (still funny though), and distracting to intercut between Darcy & her Intern and Thor V. Malekith.

Yeah, that was awful. Even worse was the "comic relief" of Thor and Malekith sliding down that office window or whatever it was.

I have to disagree. To me it has been distracting more often than not. Because it feels forced and unnecessary most of times. But Robert Downey Jr has a talent for this so he's one of the few actors in a Marvel movie who can make it work. In Thor 2, for example, a bunch of silly jokes was all the development the Thor-Jane relationship got (which was never too interesting to start with). I also remember the "he's adopted" joke in Avengers, which contradicted the very core of the Thor-Loki relationship just for the sake of a few cheap laughs.

When Keyser Soze says, "Much like how THE AVENGERS felt as much like a Joss Whedon film as a Marvel film, this has Shane Black's fingerprints all over it," I also think immediately that for the better or the worse all Marvel moves follow a pattern and little of each director's mark is noticeable. Much like when different directors direct different episodes of the same TV series they have to adapt to the style. When people talked about Avengers and its "Whedon-esque humor" I was just amazed: every single Marvel superhero movie (I mean movies with Marvel characters in them) has had the exact same kind of humor.

But again, RDJ was one of the few exceptions. They can give him the jokes and he'll make them work, or even, dare I ay, improve them.

I wouldn't agree that all Marvel movies are cookie-cutter. I think the weaker ones do certainly fall onto formula, but what has made the better films stand out has largely been that they've had a bit of a personal flavor brought to the table by the directors - Jon Favreau's fondness for extensive improv, Joss Whedon's quick-witted scripting, Shane Black's scrappy underdog hero dynamics - to give them a distinctive quality.

And I've never really had any objection to the humour in the films either. It's rarely taken me out of the film, and that note of offbeat irreverence gives the Marvel Studios output that extra quality. It's certainly seemed to be a successful formula for Marvel up until now, so I don't see that changing.

What jokes while she fought him? I can't recall a single one. If you're talking about all of the things he said to calm her down after the fact (as mentioned below, kudos A Necessary Evil), then that was for a reason, completely in character, and wasn't designed to make the villain the butt of any joke. If after four appearances on film, you still either don't expect this sort of thing from RDJ's Tony Stark or just can't come to grips with it, then I don't know what to tell you.

Your 'criticisms', and I use the term loosely, are far too embellished to be taken seriously. If you can't articulate your grievances well, don't resort to making things up to compensate.

:up: You probably don't recall it because it never happened. Much like the telling of endless jokes and punchlines after she fell from the platform.
Totally ruining all these super serious moments
. I can't wait to hear that tired platitude
when Guardians hits.

He says "I got nothing" after Pepper hits him. Also there the climatic pause of Tony waiting for new armour not long after Pepper (appears to) die and it breaks down, the way it was done was played for laughs. I could take it before the but after her fake death the whole thing should have just been serious.

Also on your next post try not to act like a smart arse.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"